Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,933 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hopefully we have a new management team in place by the time of the county senior hurling semi finals or even QFs (possibly too early as there due to played early September ?)

Hopefully we have a new management team in place by the time of the county senior hurling semi finals or even QFs (possibly too early as there due to played early September ?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

‪Tonight’s two senior football championship games in Fraher Field between Clashmore/Kinsalebeg & Kilmacthomas and Ardmore & Gaultier have been postponed!‬

Anyone know why these were called off? I know why the Brickeys game was called off Saturday.

WLR said this morning they were postponed as a mark of respect following the tragic road fatility on the Waterford to Cork road early on the weekend

KevIRL wrote: »
    WLR said this morning they were postponed as a mark of respect following the tragic road fatility on the Waterford to Cork road early on the weekend

Very sad too many of these tragic road accidents lately both in GAA circles and outside

RIP and prayers to family, friends and club members of the deceased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Heard Ken McGrath during the week saying its all well and good blaming the managers but the players are the ones who've received little if any blame over the last two years. Ken seemed to be saying that the buck stops with the 15 players that cross the line and for Watetford the players have been very poor in Munster last two years. From the outside looking in, it doesn't look like the talent is there. For starters the forwards ate miles off the likes off Tipp. Hope they sort it out as Waterford are great to watch when in full flow .

Speaking of Ken, I read his book whilst on holiday, a good read I thought.
    Didn’t realize how serious his health was with the heart and brain haemorrhage.
    An absolute warrior for Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Gardner wrote: »
    Spot on. Ken adds absolutely nothing whatsoever. His contribution on the Sunday game is quite poor also. Never once has he stepped outside the box to talk tactics, player movement or anything alternative. It's either a decent score, a red card etc. and states a few words and gives the player in question a pat on the back.

I didn’t realise there was s tick-box criteria for someone to be considered a good Sunday Game analyst. From what I can see most of his work is in the match-day studio where you are asked questions about exactly that, the big score, a controversial red card, a game ebbing and flowing etc. It’s not the time or place to be preaching about and dissecting sweeper systems. Sometimes the short snappy soundbites is exactly what the day time viewer wants.

We know the night time show is more for the prophets that are third level educated, they get more scope to flex their intellectual muscle. There’s plenty outside the box talk you if you want it, including anti colonial propaganda if that tickles your fancy aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I didn’t realise there was s tick-box criteria for someone to be considered a good Sunday Game analyst. From what I can see most of his work is in the match-day studio where you are asked questions about exactly that, the big score, a controversial red card, a game ebbing and flowing etc. It’s not the time or place to be preaching about and dissecting sweeper systems. Sometimes the short snappy soundbites is exactly what the day time viewer wants.

We know the night time show is more for the prophets that are third level educated, they get more scope to flex their intellectual muscle. There’s plenty outside the box talk you if you want it, including anti colonial propaganda if that tickles your fancy aswell.

Too true. I must say i like the two most prominent Deise hurling pundits. John Mullane is a national treasure at this stage. The jobs his for life as far as im concerned. Absolute gent as well, i had a nice chat with him at the All Ire preview night on the Saturday in Flannerys few years back. Ken only starting off in comparison but has a lovely manner about him. No bull****, nice and relaxed with a sprinkling of humour often at his own expense. Seems a really sound man.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/derek-mcgrath-waterford-manager-205047

Stick to the Harty for a while Derek. I said this months ago, it’s as if he feels it’s still his job and these are still his lads. Genuinely feel his media presence and continued close relationship with players had an adverse effect on Fannings rein. Maybe take a step back from hurling all together, he can’t have read al the Shakespeare plays!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I think thats him saying he wants the job

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭EYEBALLSOUT

Stick to the Harty for a while Derek. I said this months ago, it’s as if he feels it’s still his job and these are still his lads. Genuinely feel his media presence and continued close relationship with players had an adverse effect on Fannings rein. Maybe take a step back from hurling all together, he can’t have read al the Shakespeare plays!

Saw the same article yesterday and just said to myself- what an ego! Whatever manager comes in will have to cut 3/4 players loose anyway but Derek’s stranglehold/influence on this team needs to be nullified. General public ( not just in Waterford) are getting tired of his columns, analysis and overall bull****. I started off supporting Derek as manager but since his stepping down, he’s become insufferable and unfortunately this has had a knock on effect on the overall mood of the Co team and dare i say the County in general.

Morale in this county is at an all time low in terms of confidence in our ability to compete.
    Development squads are getting hockey‘d from under 14 to u20.
    None of this is Derek’s fault btw but the continuous media presence, keeping himself linked himself to the managerial job and general sniping thats going on, on Tv is certainly not helping morale.

Waterford is a proud county, with some great people in who if given a chance might be able to turn things around. It only takes a few small things to change to see positive results but there needs to be a willingness and acceptance for change.

First stop, is for Derek to cop himself on and behave properly and responsibly when it comes to media work. Distance himself from the the current vacancy so as to allow the players and supporters move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭willbeuptuesday

I recently spoke to two people within the county board and both told me that there was a review going on behind the scenes of everything. While this is welcome I can't understand why this does not involve players and clubs ie. seek their opinion. At the very least it should be communicated to the GAA folk of Waterford that such a thing is happening. HAs anyone else heard this?

I recently spoke to two people within the county board and both told me that there was a review going on behind the scenes of everything. While this is welcome I can't understand why this does not involve players and clubs ie. seek their opinion. At the very least it should be communicated to the GAA folk of Waterford that such a thing is happening. HAs anyone else heard this?

Heard about it alright. Agree with you that it should be communicated and also recommendations/submissions from clubs should be sought.

As I said there has to be a willingness for change but also an acceptance for it. All this cloak and dagger behind the scenes ‘we’ll sort it ourselves without any help from anyone ‘ craic is not all inclusive and serves no one only a select few with egos

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Another example of a successful fundraising - this time in Roscommon. No surprise to see them performing well at underage level and senior level in recent years with a population of about 65k - and a hell of a lot of emigration.

Their hurlers got to the semi finals of the Christy Ring too.

The fundraising arm of Roscommon GAA, Club Rossie are like the gift that keeps on giving following their latest members’ draw.

After the success of their ‘Win a House in Dublin’ draw which yielded €1.4 million, Club Rossie have managed to generate another €271,130.

Their latest successful venture was their members’ draw with Roscommon Gaels’ Pio Tully winning the first prize of a Toyota car of their choice from Dermot Hughes Cars.

Roscommon chairman Seamus Sweeney admitted to the Roscommon Herald that the work of Club Rossie has been invaluable.

“We owe them a huge debt so thank you to them from everyone in Roscommon GAA.”

Jesus, the man talks utter jibberish. How he gets airtime in the media is beyond me. Verbal diahorrea in its truest form.

I just hope the selection committee aren’t feeding into this, it’s obvious he’d jump back into the job in a heartbeat. The ship has sailed. Thanks Derek but let it go. Distance yourself from it and wish the next person well. Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

hardybuck wrote: »
    Another example of a successful fundraising - this time in Roscommon. No surprise to see them performing well at underage level and senior level in recent years with a population of about 65k - and a hell of a lot of emigration.

Their hurlers got to the semi finals of the Christy Ring too.

The fundraising arm of Roscommon GAA, Club Rossie are like the gift that keeps on giving following their latest members’ draw.

After the success of their ‘Win a House in Dublin’ draw which yielded €1.4 million, Club Rossie have managed to generate another €271,130.

Their latest successful venture was their members’ draw with Roscommon Gaels’ Pio Tully winning the first prize of a Toyota car of their choice from Dermot Hughes Cars.

Roscommon chairman Seamus Sweeney admitted to the Roscommon Herald that the work of Club Rossie has been invaluable.

“We owe them a huge debt so thank you to them from everyone in Roscommon GAA.”

Club deise did powerful work last 6-7 years seem to have run aground in recent times though, not sure of reasons why

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Any supposed review of hurling carried out by the county board will be like our votes in Europe - they will keep getting reviews until they finally find one that pats them on the back and says everything is grand, and until that happens there will never be a review published - so don't hold your breath. I know of at least three committees that have been put together consisting of really good hurling folk over the last 10 years, they got blocked at every hands turn and any report they did formulate never saw the light of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭willbeuptuesday

Fundraising is so important to the successful running of any County board, we seriously lag behind in this respects. Club Deise do good work no doubt but they are not at the same level as other counties. How much does the Deise draw make for the County Board or is that for the clubs only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Why the hell did he leave the job in the first place if he's looking for it back again after only a year?

If you think this doesn't effect the players and their relationship with Paraic/the new manager you're only lying to yourself. He hasn't given anyone a chance for a clean break with his constant yapping in the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

They cancelled the football out of respect last weekend, but rescheduled Clashmore vs Kilmac for tomorrow, the day of the burial, madness...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

Quelly & Dan. Is that possible!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Deise Gael wrote: »
    I remember when he was appointed as Waterford manager a former class mate of his in De La Salle saying to me may God help Waterford hurling because this guy is a complete egomaniac and we'll never be able to get rid of him.

Do9b6lcWwAAKCp6?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Gardner

deiseach wrote: »
    Do9b6lcWwAAKCp6?format=jpg&name=medium

Hahah spot on!

Some spoofers on this page!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Its disappointing, I know but sadly, Waterford GAA is toxic at the moment.

Really?? The entirety of Waterford GAA is toxic atm? Would people ever get a grip? There's very little toxic in Waterford GAA at the moment. A lot of people doing great work every day and seeing the results.

There is an inordinate amount of sh1te posted about one small element of the association in the county by people who refer to "them" and what "they" should do instead of "we" and "us" and what we need to do. Hackles raised immediately when they are asked what they have done lately to help the association beyond buy a few tickets for inter county matches because the answer is they've done f'all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Can the backseat moderators please report posts as opposed to moderating and saying what should and shouldn’t be allowed - we don’t necessarily read every post but we get instant notification if a post is reported. If we’ve missed any in this thread please report then and we’ll look at them

Just a reminder - we do not tolerate personal abuse of players, management or officials. Discussion fine but it was over the line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

Bonnar now 5/4 but Queally is in to 6/4 all of a sudden with PP

Both joint favs now at 5/4. Surprisingly DMG is 12/1 even after all of his recent interviews saying everything but he wants the job again...

Both joint favs now at 5/4. Surprisingly DMG is 12/1 even after all of his recent interviews saying everything but he wants the job again...

Careful now, his exact words were, "I'm not saying that I'm disinterested or interested. I suppose I'm not saying I'd be willing or unwilling to talk to them, but we'll see what happens..."

What part of that isn't clear to you!?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

queally even money from 9/1opening show.... he was 5/4 45 minutes ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

Careful now, his exact words were, "I'm not saying that I'm disinterested or interested. I suppose I'm not saying I'd be willing or unwilling to talk to them, but we'll see what happens..."

I thought I might be able to understand it given that I've got a 3rd level degree, maybe I need to do a Masters?

I thought I might be able to understand it given that I've got a 3rd level degree, maybe I need to do a Masters?

I have a Masters, and unless anyone with a PhD wants to weigh in, I declare it to be a nonsensical ramble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

These interviews are being used to send a message to the players. He says he is 50/50, a bit like Davy last year with Wexford. However if a bus load of players were to suddenly arrive at my house then I'd be definetly interested.
    If I don't go for the job I will take it in a year or two, when the kid is finished the junior cert.

It comes across as if he believes he has a divine right to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

These interviews are being used to send a message to the players. He says he is 50/50, a bit like Davy last year with Wexford. However if a bus load of players were to suddenly arrive at my house then I'd be definetly interested.
    If I don't go for the job I will take it in a year or two, when the kid is finished the junior cert.

Or he's undecided if he wants the job or not.

Or he's undecided if he wants the job or not.

Well an answer like "I'm not sure. I've been on holidays, and I haven't really thought about it", would have been a far more appropriate response.

It's not as if he went on one interview and rambled, he went on at least three that I've seen.

Quelly with Dan would be decent but we have to look at quellys disaster as under 21 manager in 2014 which we were beaten by a bad Cork team and we had quite a good team that year at that grade.

He won a county with Passage and got Abbeyside to a final. Did he win a county with Ballygunner ???

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Quelly with Dan would be decent but we have to look at quellys disaster as under 21 manager in 2014 which we were beaten by a bad Cork team and we had quite a good team that year at that grade.

He won a county with Passage and got Abbeyside to a final. Did he win a county with Ballygunner ???

That under 21 team was a good team and should have won easily
    He was never with Ballygunner. Was with rower inistigoe in Kilkenny and they went backwards under him.
    He was also with Youghal in Cork and despite not winning silverware with them apparently done an excellent job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

He was never with Ballygunner. Was with rower inistigoe in Kilkenny and they went backwards under him.
    He was also with Youghal in Cork and despite not winning silverware with them apparently done an excellent job.

Youghal won the intermediate under him did they not?

That 21 team was very green, they were unlucky not to beat Clare the previous year who went onto win the all Ireland. Hard to judge a fella on straight knockout, same with Hartley and the 21 teams of 2011/2012.

Eddie Brennan, while obviously still not a top manager yet, has spoken about how his disastrous time as Kilkenny U21 manager helped improved him as a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

He was Ballygunner manager in 2007 and 2008.

He’s been at it since his first interview after he stepped aside he was talking about coming back again some day. something along the lines of; ‘I might decide back in a few years when the likes of Austin Gleeson and TDB are 27 or 8 and in their prime’ I thought it was an utterly bizarre statement to make at the time. Like that they’re not ready to win an AI for 3 or 4 years so I’ll step back and let someone else have them until then. 12 months down the line he’s still rambling on about it. In his own head it’s not over

Youghal won the intermediate under him did they not?
    .[/quote]

After he was gone but he gets alot of credit for the job he done down there. I think former GAA president Christy cooney was the manager when they won the intermediate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

While Queally was in charge the night of the U-21 defeat against Cork in Walsh Park, was that not the same night that our Senior Panelists had separate bottles of drink left out for them in the dressing room and our Senior Manager at the time was waiting on a bus outside the ground after the game to bring them to wade in the sea to aid their recovery - not that I am insinuating that those kind of actions would be seen as interfering in team preparation or moral or anything like that!!!

Queally as I would see it would be an honest grafter with the good of Waterford Hurling at heart, but unfortunately I have to be honest and say I feel he would be much in the same mould as Paraic Fanning and would face the same problems that he faced with plenty of outside interference.

As regards Derek's interest in returning to the fold, not one bit surprised. The conspiracy theorist in me feels that this sparks of "i'll take a break, let or indeed help the new guy fall flat on his face so that I am proven right in my approach and i can return free to continue my journey to well-being"

As regards the County Board, I heard that they have gone and decided that the Senior Quarter Finals are going to be played on Saturday 31st August - the same day that the Tony Forristal is being played, so looks like there will be no Tony Forristal Finals for Walsh Park this year. One day in the year when underage players, parents and club people are playing or involved not only in Tony Forristal but in the other underage tournaments around the country and we arrange a full list of senior fixtures ? - so much for wanting to promote hurling in Waterford - do you think this would happen in Kilkenny - what a joke

Is there any news on Walsh Park redevelopment?

Is there any news on Walsh Park redevelopment?

Apparently waiting on money to go through

Faracial at this stage. The place should be knocked by now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

blueflame wrote: »
    While Queally was in charge the night of the U-21 defeat against Cork in Walsh Park, was that not the same night that our Senior Panelists had separate bottles of drink left out for them in the dressing room and our Senior Manager at the time was waiting on a bus outside the ground after the game to bring them to wade in the sea to aid their recovery - not that I am insinuating that those kind of actions would be seen as interfering in team preparation or moral or anything like that!!!

Queally as I would see it would be an honest grafter with the good of Waterford Hurling at heart, but unfortunately I have to be honest and say I feel he would be much in the same mould as Paraic Fanning and would face the same problems that he faced with plenty of outside interference.

As regards Derek's interest in returning to the fold, not one bit surprised. The conspiracy theorist in me feels that this sparks of "i'll take a break, let or indeed help the new guy fall flat on his face so that I am proven right in my approach and i can return free to continue my journey to well-being"

As regards the County Board, I heard that they have gone and decided that the Senior Quarter Finals are going to be played on Saturday 31st August - the same day that the Tony Forristal is being played, so looks like there will be no Tony Forristal Finals for Walsh Park this year. One day in the year when underage players, parents and club people are playing or involved not only in Tony Forristal but in the other underage tournaments around the country and we arrange a full list of senior fixtures ? - so much for wanting to promote hurling in Waterford - do you think this would happen in Kilkenny - what a joke

Thought Walsh Park was being demolished soon....? Obviously nothing new will be ready for next season and maybe not the one after either......don’t really see the significance of u14’s not playing in Walsh Park.....the much lauded ‘Carrig-a-nór’ complex with east access and egress and ample parking is surely the place for the forriatal final...?

Apparently waiting on money to go through

Faracial at this stage. The place should be knocked by now

Well this is a big project. Anyone who has built a house and needed to secure finance will tell you about the pain involved.

Hopefully they take learning from the expensive mess they made in Cork.

Really?? The entirety of Waterford GAA is toxic atm? Would people ever get a grip? There's very little toxic in Waterford GAA at the moment. A lot of people doing great work every day and seeing the results.

There is an inordinate amount of sh1te posted about one small element of the association in the county by people who refer to "them" and what "they" should do instead of "we" and "us" and what we need to do. Hackles raised immediately when they are asked what they have done lately to help the association beyond buy a few tickets for inter county matches because the answer is they've done f'all.

Waterford GAA is toxic at the moment- its underperforming and sliding towards the edge of a cliff.

Underage development squads are getting hockey’d- Westmeath and Offaly beat Waterford u15s. U14 Sonny Walsh Team lost to every team in Munster except Kerry.

Minor teams aren’t performing
    U20 teams (Hurling & Football) got destroyed in respective championship games
    Senior team hasn’t won a game in 2yrs.
    We have 2 Sunday Game representatives having a go off each other every 2nd week plus its made its way into the written media and dare i say it on to this forum.
    Open your eyes, come in out of the fog. People are not happy with the direction we’re going. I wouldn’t call Development squads, Minor , u20s and seniors just one small element of the association.
    Wake up.

• Queally managed Bg in 2007 but lost Ballyduff upper

I reckon Derek Mcgrath will be the next Waterford Manager

I reckon Derek Mcgrath will be the next Waterford Manager

Cant see it myself as I think we will wait another while til he comes back. Hard to knw, I could see him taking the job in another county like Wexford

If he does return the pressure on him and the team for 2020 would be immense

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Don't think the County board want him back either. Can't see it happening, so let's all just relax

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement