Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

U14 Sonny Walsh Team lost to every team in Munster except Kerry.

Love to know where you’re getting your facts. I know the manager of Sonny Walsh team and they’ve performed very well this year. Beat Kilkenny and Laois last weekend.
    Only teams from Munster they’ve played this year are Tipp and Limerick.
    Waterford hurling is at its lowest ebb in 20 odd years you don’t need to make stuff up to prove a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Don't think the County board want him back either. Can't see it happening, so let's all just relax

Will be new men in top jobs in county board

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

Will be new men in top jobs in county board

It's the hope that kills you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Gardner

PJR is stepping down and there hasn't been a selection committee formed yet for the management selection. I'd say PJR is waiting for his tenure to end and the new board will select a management selection committee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

I would imagine they will change post the conclusion of the county championships which means they will definitely still be there before a manager is selected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Gardner wrote: »
    PJR is stepping down and there hasn't been a selection committee formed yet for the management selection. I'd say PJR is waiting for his tenure to end and the new board will select a management selection committee.

Stepping down or moving on to a new role?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

hardybuck wrote: »

A munster council job lined up I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

hardybuck wrote: »

Executive Vice-President.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Derek McGrath in from 10/1 to 3/1 today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

KevIRL wrote: »
    Derek McGrath in from 10/1 to 3/1 today

He is gonna get it

• Advertisement

deiseach wrote: »
    Executive Vice-President.

Assist to the Regional Manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

He is gonna get it
    Ill donate my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭EYEBALLSOUT

Love to know where you’re getting your facts. I know the manager of Sonny Walsh team and they’ve performed very well this year. Beat Kilkenny and Laois last weekend.
    Waterford hurling is at its lowest ebb in 20 odd years you don’t need to make stuff up to prove a point.

Got it from a man who’s son plays on the team

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭EYEBALLSOUT

Some Munster competition on in Cork during the week- beaten by every other county except Kerry is what I was told. It was so bad that when Cork were scheduled to play Waterford in the last game, that they went and organised a game v Tipp instead as both teams never played each other & were unbeaten all year.
    Im sorry if that doesn’t sit well with you, it def doesn’t with me but that was what the parent told me He took the day off to travel down and see it.
    Needless to say he wasn’t impressed with the results nor was he impressed with the way the team was prepared compared to other counties present in terms of warm-up, tactics, game strategy, coaching & attitude etc. waste of a day was the way he described it!
    Just because you know the manager means v little to me or the point i was making. There is a real problem at underage in terms of coaching and Daddy’s being involved as selectors and Mgmt is not a good idea- the co board needs to do more here to encourage quality coaching and mgmt with no sons involved to get involved.

Some Munster competition on in Cork during the week- beaten by every other county except Kerry is what I was told. It was so bad that when Cork were scheduled to play Waterford in the last game, that they went and organised a game v Tipp instead as both teams never played each other & were unbeaten all year.
    Im sorry if that doesn’t sit well with you, it def doesn’t with me but that was what the parent told me He took the day off to travel down and see it.
    Needless to say he wasn’t impressed with the results nor was he impressed with the way the team was prepared compared to other counties present in terms of warm-up, tactics, game strategy, coaching & attitude etc. waste of a day was the way he described it!
    Just because you know the manager means v little to me or the point i was making. There is a real problem at underage in terms of coaching and Daddy’s being involved as selectors and Mgmt is not a good idea- the co board needs to do more here to encourage quality coaching and mgmt with no sons involved to get involved.
    You see its not down to sons and fathers .its down to honesty,fairness ,etc etc .look at Brian Cody and his son Darragh ( I think ) he brought him into the panel because he was a very good player ,gave him his chance, in Cody,s eyes he wasn't up to the standard or their was other lads there that he felt were better equipped , no explanation required .

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

You see its not down to sons and fathers .its down to honesty,fairness ,etc etc .look at Brian Cody and his son Darragh ( I think ) he brought him into the panel because he was a very good player ,gave him his chance, in Cody,s eyes he wasn't up to the standard or their was other lads there that he felt were better equipped , no explanation required .

Cody had two sons who had stints on the senior panel, firstly Donncha (same brilliant minor team as Tommy Walsh) and Diarmuid.
    Both were excellent players to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

Facts not right again.
    They were beaten by Tipp but beat Clare and Kerry. I was actually speaking to Deise Og on this CIT tournament. It’s a training day organised by Munster GAA. Each team is assigned a Munster GDO who takes training on a certain aspect such as catching or striking. They have 3 training sessions and then a match after each session. So the warm up drills etc are all organised by the coach assigned to the team. I think Waterford only had 1 selector there. Maybe 2 due to work. I’m sorry if the parent thought it was a waste of a day and the fact I know the manager doesn’t mean I won’t call it if something is not right. But from what I’ve heard and seen for myself because they trained in Tallow recently, there is a lot of work being put into Sonny Walsh and Tony Forristal. As for parents being involved, this is the last year parents can be involved with a development squad if they have a child involved. There’s 7 mentors involved with SW and TF. Only 2 do not have children involved. We’ll see how many mentors are involved next year without parents. Great idea in theory but practice could be a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

He's thinking about it......but has no devine right.....

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0817/1069357-mcgrath-thinking-about-waterford-job/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Facts not right again.
    They were beaten by Tipp but beat Clare and Kerry. I was actually speaking to Deise Og on this CIT tournament. It’s a training day organised by Munster GAA. Each team is assigned a Munster GDO who takes training on a certain aspect such as catching or striking. They have 3 training sessions and then a match after each session. So the warm up drills etc are all organised by the coach assigned to the team. I think Waterford only had 1 selector there. Maybe 2 due to work. I’m sorry if the parent thought it was a waste of a day and the fact I know the manager doesn’t mean I won’t call it if something is not right. But from what I’ve heard and seen for myself because they trained in Tallow recently, there is a lot of work being put into Sonny Walsh and Tony Forristal. As for parents being involved, this is the last year parents can be involved with a development squad if they have a child involved. There’s 7 mentors involved with SW and TF. Only 2 do not have children involved. We’ll see how many mentors are involved next year without parents. Great idea in theory but practice could be a different story.

Good to hear from a knowledgeable poster who actually knows what they are talking about.
    Must admit I don't recognize many of the names involved with the under 14 teams, but fair dues to them for volunteering, whether they be parents or not.
    See Terence McSweeney from your own club is involved. Good chap who managed Tallow to the senior county final a few years ago.
    Lots of good people involved with the different development squads (Jimmy Beresford, Paul Flynn, Dave Bennett amongst others).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Magrath can't come back so. Sure he feels there all like sons!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

alta stare wrote: »

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0817/1069357-mcgrath-thinking-about-waterford-job/

Is cryptic Derek hinting something here?

Is cryptic Derek hinting something here?

Isnt he always.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

*rumour mill does its thing*

Tom Devine is back! I read it somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭tommylad1212

Dungarvan hammered by de la salle tonight in the lge final , anyone at the game ? Full teams?

Derek kicks off his own rumours via the media. I think he made a big mistake with his rant a few weeks ago. People have turned on him so his tv gig is probably up, he needs something to keep him in the spotlight so why not bang on about himself and the Waterford job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭conor05

JesusRef wrote: »

Cody had two sons who had stints on the senior panel, firstly Donncha (same brilliant minor team as Tommy Walsh) and Diarmuid.
    Both were excellent players to be fair

His point was Cody didn’t keep both of them on the panel for 10 years each just to pick up handy All Ireland’s as subs under Daddy’s watch.

He gave them their chance, and other lads were better so he let them go.

Kilkenny do seem to be fair in their approach as in if you’re performing really well with your club you get your chance with the county team no matter who you are or what club you play for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Derek kicks off his own rumours via the media. I think he made a big mistake with his rant a few weeks ago. People have turned on him so his tv gig is probably up, he needs something to keep him in the spotlight so why not bang on about himself and the Waterford job.

Why are people so sour about Derek? Probably best we could have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

He uses too many Shakespeare quotes and plays too defensively.....others would call it evolution of the game.......last bit of negative influence that ‘John bull’ has on our nation is preventing others from adapting similar innovations to the game...:) :)

Iv no problem with what he done for us i mean he got us to finals he had us there or there abouts but his time is over with Waterford. He doesnt seem to accept that though and he is talking some shït in the media. I dont think there is much appetite in Waterford for him to come back either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭thesultan

In New Zealand for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

debok wrote: »
    Magrath can't come back so. Sure he feels there all like sons!!!!!!

Having him back as Waterford Personnel Manager would be a small price to pay for not having him on “The Sunday Game” panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭decies

I hate both those teams #allireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Sheedy returning for a 2nd stint and he wins an All Ireland

Derek might be thinking he could do the same with us

PTH2009 wrote: »

Difference with Liam Sheedy is that he builds a winning team and doesnt talk rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭Mulbert

Difference with Liam Sheedy is that he builds a winning team and doesnt talk rubbish.

Yes, and we have fick all forwards.

• Advertisement

Mulbert wrote: »

Can’t agree there. It’s management and proper structure and game plan that obviously makes the differences.......Tipp were a farce last year now look at them.

To be fair, those Tipp lads have won 3 all Irelands and unlucky not to have 4 or 5. They are really class hurlers and better than what we have.

We have enough in our team to be at least winning munster and frequently getting to All Ireland semis. One day it will click for us and we will hoist the holy grail and im afraid that day wont come if we go back to Derek. Yes he could make us competitive but our problem is that teams under him whilt when the pressure of seeing out a game hits them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭Mulbert

We have enough in our team to be at least winning munster and frequently getting to All Ireland semis. One day it will click for us and we will hoist the holy grail and im afraid that day wont come if we go back to Derek. Yes he could make us competitive but our problem is that teams under him whilt when the pressure of seeing out a game hits them.

Fair play, but optimistic view points will not get us far. Realistically, who will score heavily for us? The Bennetts might pop up for 3 or 4 between them. Aussie on form might get 2 or 3 then..

Fair play, but optimistic view points will not get us far. Realistically, who will score heavily for us? The Bennetts might pop up for 3 or 4 between them. Aussie on form might get 2 or 3 then..
    ffs

• Advertisement

ffs

How did we manage 4-23 r something v cork in the semi two years ago.......?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭upthedeise16

Much better analysis from McGrath tonight, picking out tactics that had an effect on the match and the good movement of Callanan rather than his previous rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Much better analysis from McGrath tonight, picking out tactics that had an effect on the match and the good movement of Callanan rather than his previous rubbish

His wings have definitely been clipped since his laughable outburst the last night. No article on any paper on the most important weekend of the year tells you his ratings have fallen quickly and not before time.

cul beag wrote: »
    His wings have definitely been clipped since his laughable outburst the last night. No article on any paper on the most important weekend of the year tells you his ratings have fallen quickly and not before time.

He had one on Friday, did about 20 interviews as well during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

cul beag wrote: »

He’s literally been on every media outlet over the past 2 weeks. RTÉ, OTB, Joe.ie. His stock has never been higher in media circles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

PTH2009 wrote: »

Sheedy won one the first time around as well though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Good documentary on now about the Galway Waterford final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Gardner

best pundit out there. head and shoulders above any of the rest. the attention to detail is what sets him heads and shoulders of were Fanning was this year and definitely going forward over Bonnar or Queally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭decies

The next Waterford Hurling manager imho needs to have at least a couple of all Ireland medals in his closet , they get it wrong again I fear we could become irrelevant again for another decade .

Wasn't it depressing to see Offaly lads at the 25 year jubilee yesterday and everyone knows in their hearts that they'll be the old lads in years to come who'll be referred to as the last team to win anything.

Their footballers too mind - three All Ireland's between 1971 and 1982 and they're a Div 3/4 county now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement