Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭upthedeise16

hardybuck wrote: »
    Wasn't it depressing to see Offaly lads at the 25 year jubilee yesterday and everyone knows in their hearts that they'll be the old lads in years to come who'll be referred to as the last team to win anything.

Their footballers too mind - three All Ireland's between 1971 and 1982 and they're a Div 3/4 county now.

They won 1998, that was the 94 team so they won’t be the last team to win anything

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

They won 1998, that was the 94 team so they won’t be the last team to win anything

Sorry, correct, but you get the thrust of my message - look how quickly things can go downhill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Sorry, correct, but you get the thrust of my message - look how quickly things can go downhill.

In fairness Offaly have been going downhill for about 18 years. It didn't happen overnight. They took there eye off the ball when successful. A county that small can't afford to do that. In saying that Offaly had 80s and 90s of success and part of 70s so are they just after reverting to the position they should be in for there size and playing population. They had no history of success before those decades. I wouldn't be panicking in Waterford yet but we are on slippery slope.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BlueFox90

decies wrote: »
    The next Waterford Hurling manager imho needs to have at least a couple of all Ireland medals in his closet , they get it wrong again I fear we could become irrelevant again for another decade .

I think if we got Brian Cody ,we would not win an All Ireland with current crop of players. When looking at the others team , we just don't have the forwards to compete. Unfortunately too many of same hurlers. If you put it in their hand with space they can score but we don't have people to win their own ball or make scores from nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Brian Cody not winning an All-Ireland with the current Waterford crop doesn't tell us much. He couldn't win the All-Ireland with the current Kilkenny crop either. He dragged them to the final though, and I'm certain he'd do wonders for us if he were so inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

BlueFox90 wrote: »
    I think if we got Brian Cody
    I stopped reading here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

Was in Croke Park .... interesting to observe Tipp management. Sheedy was like a man possessed throughout the whole game ; in the warm up Eamonn O'Shea was running alongside and passing balls to Callanan who was striking them on the run ; Tommy Dunne must have covered more ground than some of the players during his excursions onto the pitch. No wonder they won. In addition, Tipp have the considerable financial clout of Teneo as sponsor.

The extra man made Tipp look like world beaters the longer the game went on (a bit like Waterford in 2017 semi final after Cork were reduced to 14 men). If Conor Gleeson got a red card for his indiscretion in the latter game, then Hogan/Kilkenny can have no complaints (though they won't forget that incident too quickly).

Was in Croke Park .... interesting to observe Tipp management. Sheedy was like a man possessed throughout the whole game ; in the warm up Eamonn O'Shea was running alongside and passing balls to Callanan who was striking them on the run ; Tommy Dunne must have covered more ground than some of the players during his excursions onto the pitch. No wonder they won. In addition, Tipp have the considerable financial clout of Teneo as sponsor.

The extra man made Tipp look like world beaters the longer the game went on (a bit like Waterford in 2017 semi final after Cork were reduced to 14 men). If Conor Gleeson got a red card for his indiscretion in the latter game, then Hogan/Kilkenny can have no complaints (though they won't forget that incident too quickly).

Both counties have bought into the cult of the manager. Most hurling counties seem to actually lately - but I wouldn't say that's necessarily the template to follow.

In addition to a good sponsor they have an excellent fundraising society.

Tipp as you noted have a hugely animated and psyched up management team. Sheedy seems to get lads to give an extra bit, and got lads like Bubbles and Cathal Barrett back.

Cody on the other hand is hugely aggressive when he's unhappy with the opposition or the referee, but otherwise fairly quiet. Talk to any KK player past or present and they're absolutely terrified but massively respectful of him. They're like kids trying to get affection off this disinterested father - his like will probably never be seen again.

Jim Gavin however is absolutely passive on the line. No emotions or raising his voice. The players know what they need to do, and if they don't they're going to be replaced by someone who can - it would remind you of Joe Schmidt. That style mightn't work in another county where they aren't laden down with awesome players.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Big money on Queally and Dan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Alf Tupper wrote: »

meh but I think the players will respect them

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

PTH2009 wrote: »

meh but I think the players will respect them

And they didn’t respect fanning? Sorry now where did I miss the statement saying the players didn’t respect fanning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

And they didn’t respect fanning? Sorry now where did I miss the statement saying the players didn’t respect fanning?

Some of the players dont have the balls to put in a shift during championship hurling so how do you expect them to have the balls to put out a statement about respecting their manager, a manager where their performances ended up with him leaving. Seems a bit disrespectful to me.

alta stare wrote: »

Some of the players dont have the balls to put in a shift during championship hurling so how do you expect them to have the balls to put out a statement about respecting their manager, a manager where their performances ended up with him leaving. Seems a bit disrespectful to me.

How is it even possible not to “have the balls to put a shift in during championship”

And where in the statement that the manager made state that exactly?

All cloak and dagger / hearsay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Big money? A couple of hundred euro. Ffs.

How is it even possible not to “have the balls to put a shift in during championship”

Of course its possible. They did not have the desire or courage to fight for their county, their team, their manager. They were disgraceful. No balls.

Through their performances they put pressure on the manager. It wasnt all down to him. Did you see many of those regular players bust a gut this year?? I did not. They pretty much couldnt of been arsed. There is no doubt they have talent and skill but none of that matters if they dont have the balls to man up and play their best irrespective of who is in charge.

Cloak and dagger? Plenty of that coming from McGrath.

• Advertisement

alta stare wrote: »

Of course its possible. They did not have the desire or courage to fight for their county, their team, their manager. They were disgraceful. No balls.

Through their performances they put pressure on the manager. It wasnt all down to him. Did you see many of those regular players bust a gut this year?? I did not. They pretty much couldnt of been arsed. There is no doubt they have talent and skill but none of that matters if they dont have the balls to man up and play their best irrespective of who is in charge.

Cloak and dagger? Plenty of that coming from McGrath.

I saw Philip mahoney break a bone playing for his county
    I saw Kevin Moran absolutely bursting his hole when turned against limerick for one of their goals
    I saw plenty fellas bursting their arse. They ultimately were not good enough this year & it wasn’t championship we were miles off limerick in league final too.

I don’t for one second believe any player went out after 9-12 months of hardship to not bother their arse, they have more self pride and worth then that, I can only speak specifically for the lads I know and they are professional in everything but title.

I saw a lot of frustrated players - Jamie Barron when taken off against Clare, Stephen o Keefe, tadgh de burca & Austin Gleeson at different stages, are these the players you speak of? Former all stars, hurlers of the year.

i cannot for one second believe a word of what you say or that narrative that’s bandied around. At club level even if u hated the fella over team you’d still dig in for your club jersey, your buddies and at the very least your own self worth and ego.

I saw Kevin Moran absolutely bursting his hole when turned against limerick for one of their goals
    I saw plenty fellas bursting their arse. They ultimately were not good enough this year & it wasn’t championship we were miles off limerick in league final too.

I don’t for one second believe any player went out after 9-12 months of hardship to not bother their arse, they have more self pride and worth then that, I can only speak specifically for the lads I know and they are professional in everything but title.

I saw a lot of frustrated players - Jamie Barron when taken off against Clare, Stephen o Keefe, tadgh de burca & Austin Gleeson at different stages, are these the players you speak of? Former all stars, hurlers of the year.

i cannot for one second believe a word of what you say or that narrative that’s bandied around. At club level even if u hated the fella over team you’d still dig in for your club jersey, your buddies and at the very least your own self worth and ego.

Some of them should follow this mans lead

https://youtu.be/8Ow0lykpf18

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Obi1mikal

Did you not call for Austin gleeson to be dropped on this forum over his attitude??

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

I have always respected your posts on the different ways forward for this county and you have some fantastic ideas but I’m afraid you are a bit naive if you think the players didn’t down tools during the championship and shaft Fanning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭914

From Tomás McCarthy on Twitter

"Two former Waterford hurlers will be part of a five man selection committee to find a new Déise senior boss More on @wlrfm & @ExaminerSport in the morning"

• Advertisement

I honestly wouldn’t defend players if I didn’t think they deserved defending, but I do genuinely feel there is a narrative being built up against them since cork game.

I don’t believe for a second they consciously downed tools. Do I think they could have tried an extra few % harder hard to know tbh I’m not qualified to say

I could be totally wrong and maybe they didn’t bother their ass and I’m just totally blind to it, but in my experience if a lad wasn’t doing it or trying you’d bollock them out of it & from my experiences of brick, Moran that kind of ****e wouldn’t wash with them, hence why I wouldn’t even entertain the conversation.

The answer in reality is probably somewhere between the two.

Re Austin, yea I did say it he is frustrating, incredibly frustrating but his talent is obvious, maybe a time in with a tracksuit on might spark a fire in him or maybe it might finish him, who knows, that is now a small problem by comparison to the issues we face in the other 28 players! Confidence on the floor, public opinion against them.

Can I also add, fanning may not have been my choice from the get go, the game that sealed his faith for me was the Clare one, I really thought the writing was on the wall then (hindsight etc I know), but, he didn’t deserve the end he got in the role & it must be said since leaving and the way he left he conducted himself very well & professionally, god knows he would like to say plenty i am sure and maybe he will yet, but it’s a fair mark of the chap I must say. He also brought in 3 new players into the fold in prunty Lyons & Prendergast and he deserves a lot of credit for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭upthedeise16

Donoghue gone from Galway, an attractive job seen as they’ve won the last 3 minors in a row, huge potential as always in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Former Waterford hurlers Stephen Frampton and Tom Feeney will be part of a five man selection committee to find a successor to Paraic Fanning as senior boss.

Founder and Chief Executive of Nemeton TV Irial Mac Murchu, county secretary Pat Flynn and vice-chairman Sean Michael O’Regan will also sit on the panel. It was ratified by delegates at last night’s county board meeting at Lawlors Hotel in Dungarvan.

Chairman Paddy Joe Ryan decided not to be part of the process as he finishes his five-year term in December. Paraic Fanning stepped aside for personal reasons earlier this month after just one season in the hotseat. The Déise reached the NHL final in March but lost all four Munster championship matches this summer. Ryan described the Mount Sion man as a gentleman.

It was also revealed last night that a root and branch strategic review of the Waterford county board will take place over the coming months. The committee will include Chief Executive of Waterford City and County Council Michael Walsh, former Deise football selector Tony Corcoran, Waterford hurling captain in 2002 Fergal Hartley and former county secretary Timmy O’Keeffe along with Pat Whyte and John Moloney.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭razorronan

Mad to see the odds for the new manager fluctuating so much consider the selection committee was just formed. Hopefully the committee make the right decision.

Delighted to see Michael Walsh involved in the strategic review. I though he would be reluctant after the first (excellent) document he produced a few years ago on the development of Waterford GAA, which was largely ignored by the County Board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

IanVW wrote: »
    Former Waterford hurlers Stephen Frampton and Tom Feeney will be part of a five man selection committee to find a successor to Paraic Fanning as senior boss.

Founder and Chief Executive of Nemeton TV Irial Mac Murchu, county secretary Pat Flynn and vice-chairman Sean Michael O’Regan will also sit on the panel. It was ratified by delegates at last night’s county board meeting at Lawlors Hotel in Dungarvan.

Chairman Paddy Joe Ryan decided not to be part of the process as he finishes his five-year term in December. Paraic Fanning stepped aside for personal reasons earlier this month after just one season in the hotseat. The Déise reached the NHL final in March but lost all four Munster championship matches this summer. Ryan described the Mount Sion man as a gentleman.

It was also revealed last night that a root and branch strategic review of the Waterford county board will take place over the coming months. The committee will include Chief Executive of Waterford City and County Council Michael Walsh, former Deise football selector Tony Corcoran, Waterford hurling captain in 2002 Fergal Hartley and former county secretary Timmy O’Keeffe along with Pat Whyte and John Moloney.

For the first time in about 2 years I’m a little optimistic

One key thing they'll need to get to the bottom of is fundraising.

It seems to have been the position that the management and team are expected to organise their own fundraising for things like training camps etc.

No high calibre manager is going to want to come to Waterford and do that in addition to managing the team.

No high calibre manager is probably going to be possible either unless a significant fundraising effort is made - particularly in the context of a stadium development taking place at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

As regards the narrative which has built up around the players since the Clare game namely that they 'downed tools'; Waterford went in at half time 6 points and a man down away to Tipp - 15 minutes into the second half they had got back to 3 points only for a quick goal and point to put the game beyond reach- que accusations from both inside and outside the county that they 'downed tools'
    Last Sunday KK went in 1 point and a man down and lost by 14. Unlike waterford who stuck to their game plan and worked the ball through the lines KK resorted to lumping ball down on the isolated full forward. After the game we had the usual guff from Cody and the media about KK 'not giving up etc. Narratives
    These same players got to an all Ireland and league final in the last 2 years yet consistently get grief from both inside and outside the county. The player driven move to remove Justin has created a legacy issue for current waterford players and they are viewed as trouble- (similar to Mayo)
    The problems we face are way more complex than the effort or attitude of a few young men. The attitude of some on here who have never had the talent or the inclination to put in the months of training in winter and make the sacrifices that these players have is disappointing. Keyboard warriors.
    The Tipperary S & C coach gave up a job with Arsenal and moved from London to Thurles to work full time with Tipp hurlers- he also has an assistant- paid for by Tipps sponsors- just one small example of what counties like ours are up against. I doubt there is even one member of the waterford backroom on more than travel expenses. Tipp have 3 people for video analysis alone.

Narrative- Austin Gleeson is trouble. Last Sunday Richie Hogan deservedly got a red card. Since Sunday we've had Brian Cody, Henry Shefflin, Jackie Tyrell and Richie Hogan and Eoin Larkin come out on TV and Social media to rail against it, Richie Hogan himself giving an interview on OTB this morning being treated like one of the Guilford 4.
    Contrast this with the tsunami of criticism after the 2017 semi final and Gleesons alleged pull on Luke Meads helmet. The same Eddie Brennan declaring on the Sunday game that he should be banned for the final and also writing 2 articles the following week about it! Completely different attitude when it came to the more clear cut evidence last weekend.
    These people set the narrative, what people hear from pundits on Sunday evening becomes fact down the shop on Monday morning.
    I'm following waterford hurlers long enough to have seen players drinking pints on the night before championship and being so unfit and uninterested that they got relegated to division 3. The present players are nowhere near that.
    We need to pull together now not be constantly at each other and the player's throats. The formation of this group with Michael Walsh ( Who incidentally played on the relegated team) is a positive move and hopefully will bear friut in time. Also last week our u15 beat Westmeath in an all ireland football B tournament proving that not all those involved in GAA in Waterford are useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Obi1mikal

carter10 wrote: »
    As regards the narrative which has built up around the players since the Clare game namely that they 'downed tools'; Waterford went in at half time 6 points and a man down away to Tipp - 15 minutes into the second half they had got back to 3 points only for a quick goal and point to put the game beyond reach- que accusations from both inside and outside the county that they 'downed tools'
    Last Sunday KK went in 1 point and a man down and lost by 14. Unlike waterford who stuck to their game plan and worked the ball through the lines KK resorted to lumping ball down on the isolated full forward. After the game we had the usual guff from Cody and the media about KK 'not giving up etc. Narratives
    These same players got to an all Ireland and league final in the last 2 years yet consistently get grief from both inside and outside the county. The player driven move to remove Justin has created a legacy issue for current waterford players and they are viewed as trouble- (similar to Mayo)
    The problems we face are way more complex than the effort or attitude of a few young men. The attitude of some on here who have never had the talent or the inclination to put in the months of training in winter and make the sacrifices that these players have is disappointing. Keyboard warriors.
    The Tipperary S & C coach gave up a job with Arsenal and moved from London to Thurles to work full time with Tipp hurlers- he also has an assistant- paid for by Tipps sponsors- just one small example of what counties like ours are up against. I doubt there is even one member of the waterford backroom on more than travel expenses. Tipp have 3 people for video analysis alone.

Narrative- Austin Gleeson is trouble. Last Sunday Richie Hogan deservedly got a red card. Since Sunday we've had Brian Cody, Henry Shefflin, Jackie Tyrell and Richie Hogan and Eoin Larkin come out on TV and Social media to rail against it, Richie Hogan himself giving an interview on OTB this morning being treated like one of the Guilford 4.
    Contrast this with the tsunami of criticism after the 2017 semi final and Gleesons alleged pull on Luke Meads helmet. The same Eddie Brennan declaring on the Sunday game that he should be banned for the final and also writing 2 articles the following week about it! Completely different attitude when it came to the more clear cut evidence last weekend.
    These people set the narrative, what people hear from pundits on Sunday evening becomes fact down the shop on Monday morning.
    I'm following waterford hurlers long enough to have seen players drinking pints on the night before championship and being so unfit and uninterested that they got relegated to division 3. The present players are nowhere near that.
    We need to pull together now not be constantly at each other and the player's throats. The formation of this group with Michael Walsh ( Who incidentally played on the relegated team) is a positive move and hopefully will bear friut in time. Also last week our u15 beat Westmeath in an all ireland football B tournament proving that not all those involved in GAA in Waterford are useless.

Agree with the majority of this post. Just two quick things Austin Gleesons did pull Luke Meade's helmet there was no allegedly about, but got away with it so good luck to him (also eddie brennan is a fool)

Secondly any person that is willing to move from London to Thurlas deserves 1 million euro a week or their head examined..

Congrats to the u15 footballers that is fair going and the players and management team deserve massive credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Some excellent points there.....can you explain what you mean re ‘Michael Walsh who incidentally played on the relegated team’.....?

It’s mad that an incoming manager would be expected to be involved in fund raising. Would have to ask what money does the ‘sponsor’ provide. Limerick allegedly get significant ‘support’ from ‘JP McManus’ as well as their sponsor and have a massive back room team.....Tipp are able to get some one back from UK 🇬🇧 to be involved........’da langers’ im sure are none short of resources either or are ‘da banner’.......it seems we are just about surviving.....can’t afford a high profile manager, have appointed from ‘within’ since Davey left the scene.......where does it leave us now...? Let’s hope the new committee can come up with something.....the involvement of Michael Walsh has to be a major plus given obviously ability and track record outside the sporting world.......future is looking bright??? Time will tell as usual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Excellent post Carter, best I've read in a long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Some excellent points there.....can you explain what you mean re ‘Michael Walsh who incidentally played on the relegated team’.....?

It’s mad that an incoming manager would be expected to be involved in fund raising. Would have to ask what money does the ‘sponsor’ provide. Limerick allegedly get significant ‘support’ from ‘JP McManus’ as well as their sponsor and have a massive back room team.....Tipp are able to get some one back from UK 🇬🇧 to be involved........’da langers’ im sure are none short of resources either or are ‘da banner’.......it seems we are just about surviving.....can’t afford a high profile manager, have appointed from ‘within’ since Davey left the scene.......where does it leave us now...? Let’s hope the new committee can come up with something.....the involvement of Michael Walsh has to be a major plus given his obvious ability and track record outside the sporting world.......future is looking bright??? Time will tell as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Greensoup

JP is the limerick sponsor. Limerick Players had to do a boxing comp before Christmas 2017 to raise money for training each player was sponsored by a business and they had to sell a number of tickets each to the event in the south court hotel. Plenty bloody noses on the night too. The last year looked after itself with fundraising gigs in America during the super 11s ****e.

Greensoup wrote: »
    JP is the limerick sponsor. Limerick Players had to do a boxing comp before Christmas 2017 to raise money for training each player was sponsored by a business and they had to sell a number of tickets each to the event in the south court hotel. Plenty bloody noses on the night too. The last year looked after itself with fundraising gigs in America during the super 11s ****e.

And the recent team holiday he announced?

Yep thats his Sandy Lane resort in Barbados.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭EYEBALLSOUT

All great points.
    Aussie did pull Luke meades faceguard though. It wasn’t alleged , that happened

Greensoup wrote: »
    Yep thats his Sandy Lane resort in Barbados.

Every little helps.

One thing I've wondered about is how they decide on the Super 11s participants.

Does anyone know if Waterford were ever asked?

We seem to be the only top county who haven't participated - which would seem strange if there's big money available.

Seems to be a gpa gig by look of it. They seem to want all Ireland champs first and I don’t know how they pick the others. It will be tipp that will make a bit of money this time as all Ireland champs and with a sponsor with big USA connections. They can organize banquets etc in New York and cash in.

One thing I've wondered about is how they decide on the Super 11s participants.

Does anyone know if Waterford were ever asked?

We along seem to be the only top county who haven't participated - which would seem strange if there's big money available.

Even as losing AI finalists in 2017 we still didnt get an invite to this. Would be a good team building trip

We had our Club Deise London nights and our "bonding" trip too Liverpool in the past

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Road-Hog wrote: »

Michael Walsh who is on the group to do a root and branch review of the Co board and the author of the previous report was on the Waterford hurling team during our darkest period (82-93) He was on the team that got relegated to Div 3 in 84/85.
    We were at a level at that time that would give PTH wet dreams!! Lost to Mayo and Roscommon in the league and went from 83 to 89 without winning a single championship match.

In fairness to Michael Walsh, he was one of our better players of that era, tough and skillful but lacking a bit of pace.

Should a player from the squad be involved in the selection committee. Someone like Brick (reckon he could stay on if the right person is involved)

I think you more than most know that they didn’t!
    Just because you’re in some of the players pockets, doesn’t mean you didn’t see what everyone else saw! No need to be coy..

Fanning’s appointment was made without any player input- mistake no1.
    Fanning’s backroom team was v average compared to other successful counties- mistake no 2.
    Players felt underwhelmed by his appointment, his backroom team, choice for captain etc..... it showed on the field.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Should a player from the squad be involved in the selection committee. Someone like Brick (reckon he could stay on if the right person is involved)

It would be normal for player consultation, either formal or informal, but a place on the Committee is inappropriate IMO.

I think you more than most know that they didn’t!
    Just because you’re in some of the players pockets, doesn’t mean you didn’t see what everyone else saw! No need to be coy..

Fanning’s appointment was made without any player input- mistake no1.
    Fanning’s backroom team was v average compared to other successful counties- mistake no 2.
    Players felt underwhelmed by his appointment, his backroom team, choice for captain etc..... it showed on the field.

You see you are making the mistake of assuming, when you assume you make an ASS out of U and ME.

If you think im in anyones pocket, (bar the lack!) you are greatly mistaken.

Carters post ref the Tipp game sums it up to a tee. Did Conor Gleeson throw the towel in getting sent off? Not for me. Was the tackle at the time needless / headless, probably but that and i mean this respectively has been in his game for a while so hardly totally out of character.

I think the team was set up poorly vs clare, horses for courses in walsh park, a more direct style and use the elements better was way to go that day, hindsight and all! The rumour mill was overheating all week from memory.

The following week against Tipp they came out all guns blazing and a combination of imploding and being blown away and well you know how the story ends from here. The same happened in the all ireland final sunday.

Difference? KK pundits stuck together, neutrals complimented tipp.

In actual fact there were a lot of similarities in both games as Carter excellently articulated - see earlier post.

When it happened Waterford the pundits and supporters turned on the team, innuendo & ambiguity took over and it was the players the players again. National pundits hopped on the bandwagon and it was all out free for all.

There is definitely a lesson in it for us all.

Hope springs eternal however & this review / plan for future can only be a positive especially with the caliber of person involved, some serious people in it. Hopefully this one wont end up being a dust gathering mechanism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Suppose the one thing I'd say is in fairness to Kilkenny they were in an all Ireland final and had built up a store of credit. I did see the parallels of course but have to say they had beaten teams that gave us hammerings to get to that point.

Poor preparation, loss of confidence and lack of forwards account for a lot of problems this year I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

I wouldn't have thought anyone would have an issue with Connors as captain last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Anyone have any idea what the guy from Nemeton on the selection committee has to offer?

cul beag wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea what the guy from Nemeton on the selection committee has to offer?

as the advert goes:

I can’t believe it’s not butter

I can’t believe it’s not mcdaragh

cul beag wrote: »

Perhaps an ability to chair interviews and be the head of an organisation?

Apart from an interest and involvement in GAA.

I wouldn't have thought anyone would have an issue with Connors as captain last year?

Noel has been an excellent player but his legs have been gone the last two years, even at club level he’s not standing out. It was a bad move as I didn’t see him as a nailed on starter and as such a captain needs to lead from the front - he bailed out the minute the pressure came on v Clare. I know his team mates weren’t too enamored by his elegant dive.
    Having followed club & county hurling closely, i just thought he had lost his speed- nothing personal. An obvious choice was De Burca or Philip Mahony.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement