Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

cul beag wrote: »
    But you will love this one- The winner of the Deise Development draw having been presented with his winning cheque was informed not to cash it for 6 weeks! Eventually he got it in 3 separate payments. And they want to develop Walsh Park?!! People looking for an outside manager will have a bit of a wait I’d imagine! As for the football game the fairest thing would have to be a replay.

It’s worse things are getting. Why does the deise draw which has been running decades not have enough liquidity to fund the prize pool for one month? If that was a business they’d be shut down.

As for betting suspended in a local Gaa match that’s worthy of a Croke park audit.... I wonder who was getting stuck in?
    This is a lie. I know someone who got a cheque a few days later..

But you will love this one- The winner of the Deise Development draw having been presented with his winning cheque was informed not to cash it for 6 weeks! Eventually he got it in 3 separate payments. And they want to develop Walsh Park?!! People looking for an outside manager will have a bit of a wait I’d imagine! As for the football game the fairest thing would have to be a replay.

It’s worse things are getting. Why does the deise draw which has been running decades not have enough liquidity to fund the prize pool for one month? If that was a business they’d be shut down.

As for betting suspended in a local Gaa match that’s worthy of a Croke park audit.... I wonder who was getting stuck in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

On the betting suspended thing, what was the score at that point? They don't offer handicap markets for those games so if it was over 10 points in the difference they might have just taken down the market. Would doubt they'd be taking much money on that game anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

We often go on about how good the west intermediate championship but the eastern intermediate championship seemed to have 4 great games this weekend, Portlaw came back from the dead with late scores to beat DLS by 2 points and the 3 other matches were all 1 point wins for Ballygunner, Dunhill and Ballyduff. Would Portlaw be favourites having just come down?
    I was at the 2 games in Fraher last night and although An Rinn and Clashmore were fairly comfortable winners in substandard matches, I would probably have Ballysaggart powered by the Bennett’s as favourites to win the west, especially as Tadhg Bourke seems to pick up a knee injury and had to retire from the Clashmore game after only 10 minutes, interesting to see if he will be fit for the semi-final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Out of the local candidates for the Waterford job

Sean Powers and Fergal Hartleys (think he is only a selector with Ballygunner now ???) teams are still in there respective championships but Peter Quellys Abbeyside been knocked out

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭EYEBALLSOUT

thesultan wrote: »

Take it easy, once is enough to say it! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Mount Sion 2-22 Lismore 1-15

The first senior hurling quarter final game in Fraher Field tonight was a damp squib. Lismore had played some impressive hurling getting this far, but tonight they never got off the ground and were well beaten by a Mount Sion team which had the better touch, worked much harder and were better organised.

Lismore had a simple game plan, which was to lash high ball down on Maurice Shanahan at full forward. You might have thought this his brother Dan, the Lismore coach, would have copped on after several years on the line with Derek McGrath that full forward doesn’t suit Maurice. The ironic thing is that Maurice had been terrorising defences from wing forward in the group stages; this is definitely not just his best position, but his only position. Dan himself went in full forward when the game was irretrievable, with Maurice moving out to the half forward line, but they kept pumping ball into full forward, which took Maurice out of the game altogether.

Mount Sion got off to a good start and were 1-3 to 0-0 up after five minutes, the goal coming from Martin F O’Neill. Lismore then got into the game to an extent, but at half time they were still five points behind, 1-12 to 0-10. Most if Mount Sion’s scores were coming from Evan McGrath frees (he scored nine in the half), several of which came from poor discipline in the Lismore defence. Lismore did create two good goal chances in the first half, but failed to convert them.

Lismore made a bit of a spurt early in the second half, but were denied by two brilliant Iggy O’Regan saves, one from a Maurice Shanahan penalty. Lismore also hit three bad wides in this period. Then Mount Sion were gifted a goal in the 38th minute when Lismore goalie Seanie Barry sent a short puckout straight to Martin F O’Neill who gratefully fired his second goal of the evening to the net. This left Lismore 2-14 to 0-12 down after 45 minutes and with a mountain to climb. They did lift their game a bit going into the final quarter, but their accuracy left them down. All told they had twelve wides to just five for Mount Sion.

Austin Gleeson had been in and out of the game, but he burst to light in the closing stages and produced some exhibition stuff, showing glimpses of this enormous ability. Paudie Prendergast scored a late consolation goal but Mount Sion romped to victory, 2-22 to 1-15.

Mount Sion: Ian O’Regan; Mikey Daykin; Peter Penkert; PJ Fanning; Luke O’Brien (0-1); Owen Whelan; Mark Hoban; Stephen Roche (0-1); Charlie Costello; John Kennedy; Evan McGrath (0-12, 10 frees, 1 65); Martin F O’Neill (2-0); Jack Meaney (0-1); Austin Gleeson (0-4, 2 frees); Alan Kirwan (0-1). Subs: Michael Gaffney (ht); Ben Flanagan for Mark Hoban (44 mins); Evan Curran (0-2) for Costello (52 mins); Donal Power for Gaffney (62 mins).

Dungarvan 2-17 Abbeyside 3-12

This local derby attracted one of the biggest crowds I have ever seen at a county quarter final, and they were treated to a ding-dong contest which finished in a welter of excitement.

Even though their late winning score was somewhat fortunate, I thought that Dungarvan deserved to win this game. Their touch was better and they looked the much better coached side, working the ball well through the lines and sending some good balls into the forwards. However, they were let down by some errant shooting which saw them hit eleven wides to Abbeyside’s seven (several of which came late in the game). Abbeyside also provided stubborn opposition throughout.

Abbeyside looked like a team which had got no coaching, which reflects poorly on Peter Queally’s stewardship. Their only game plan appeared to be to hit long balls in on top of young full forward Michael Kiely, and while the latter scored 2-1 and earned several frees (giving his marker Darragh Lyons a torrid time in the process), this was never going to be enough. I lost count of the number of times their defenders hit blind clearances out of defence to unmarked opponents, where Dungarvan were using short passes to work their way out. Abbeyside also had no puckout strategy and just kept hitting long balls, which were generally dealt with capably by a Dungarvan defence in which corner back John Curran, centre back Kieran Power and left half back Kenny Moore stood out.

Abbeyside got off to a good start, with Michael Kiely finding the net in the fourth minute. Dungarvan then got on top, but were unable to press home their advantage which allowed the Villagers to go in at half time with a one-point lead 1-7 to 0-9, Abbeyside’s total including a long-distance free converted by their goalie Stephen Enright. Dungarvan maintained their territorial dominance on the restart, and went ahead for the first time in the 38th minute. For the next 17 minutes it was tit-for-tat stuff, with Abbeyside equalising and Dungarvan then going ahead again, although Abbeyside were unlucky when Patrick Hurney broke through in the 40th minute but his shot rebounded from the crossbar.

Abbeyside appeared to have grabbed the initiative when Michael Kiely scored his second goal in the 55th minute, but straight from the puckout Joe Allen sent an unstoppable screamer into the top right-hand corner for Dungarvan. Gavin Crotty pushed Dungarvan ahead with a point in the 61st minute, but right away Abbeyside seemed to have got the decisive score when Mark Ferncombe forced the ball over the line from a ruck in the Dungarvan goalmouth. However, Dungarvan came back up the field and when a ball (which should have been cleared) was sent into the Abbeyside goalmouth from the left wing, Dungarvan’s Michael Kiely forced it over the line. It looked suspiciously like a square ball, and it was interesting that the green flag umpire did not immediately signal a goal but looked out to the referee expecting a whistle for a free. But when this did not come, the green flag went up.

Abbeyside had one final chance to save the game, but when a long ball into the Dungarvan goal went straight through to the goalie, it was all over.

Gavin Crotty also did well for Dungarvan, hitting four points. Darragh McGrath (who was excellent), Richie Foley and Neil Montgomery did best for Abbeyside.

Dungarvan: Gavin Power; John Curran; Darragh Lyons; Seán Ryan; Jamie Nagle (0-1); Kieran Power; Kenny Moore (0-1); Michael Kiely (1-2, one sideline); Conor Sheridan; Jack Lacey; Joe Allen (1-0); Cathal Curran; Gavin Crotty (0-4); Patrick Curran (0-2); Ryan Donnelly (0-7, 6 frees). Subs: Kealan Daly for Sheridan (ht); Luke O’Callaghan for Lacey (58 mins).

Abbeyside: Stephen Enright (0-1, free); Brian Looby; Evan Collins; Darragh McGrath; David Collins; Conor Prunty (0-1); Richie Foley; Maurice Power; Michael Maher; Patrick Hurney; Neil Montgomery (0-2); John Hurney; Mark Twomey (0-1); Michael Kiely (2-4, 3 frees); Mark Ferncombe (1-3, 2 frees). Subs: John Elstead for Evan Collins (20 mins); Michael O’Halloran for John Hurney (45 mins); Tiernan Murray for Twomey (58 mins).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tommylad1212

We often go on about how good the west intermediate championship but the eastern intermediate championship seemed to have 4 great games this weekend, Portlaw came back from the dead with late scores to beat DLS by 2 points and the 3 other matches were all 1 point wins for Ballygunner, Dunhill and Ballyduff. Would Portlaw be favourites having just come down?
    I was at the 2 games in Fraher last night and although An Rinn and Clashmore were fairly comfortable winners in substandard matches, I would probably have Ballysaggart powered by the Bennett’s as favourites to win the west, especially as Tadhg Bourke seems to pick up a knee injury and had to retire from the Clashmore game after only 10 minutes, interesting to see if he will be fit for the semi-final

Portlaw are down with two years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Ballygunner favourites in East, they looked a cut above most teams in group stages

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BlueFox90

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Mount Sion 2-22 Lismore 1-15

The first senior hurling quarter final game in Fraher Field tonight was a damp squib. Lismore had played some impressive hurling getting this far, but tonight they never got off the ground and were well beaten by a Mount Sion team which had the better touch, worked much harder and were better organised.

Lismore had a simple game plan, which was to lash high ball down on Maurice Shanahan at full forward. You might have thought this his brother Dan, the Lismore coach, would have copped on after several years on the line with Derek McGrath that full forward doesn’t suit Maurice. The ironic thing is that Maurice had been terrorising defences from wing forward in the group stages; this is definitely not just his best position, but his only position. Dan himself went in full forward when the game was irretrievable, with Maurice moving out to the half forward line, but they kept pumping ball into full forward, which took Maurice out of the game altogether.

Mount Sion got off to a good start and were 1-3 to 0-0 up after five minutes, the goal coming from Martin F O’Neill. Lismore then got into the game to an extent, but at half time they were still five points behind, 1-12 to 0-10. Most if Mount Sion’s scores were coming from Evan McGrath frees (he scored nine in the half), several of which came from poor discipline in the Lismore defence. Lismore did create two good goal chances in the first half, but failed to convert them.

Lismore made a bit of a spurt early in the second half, but were denied by two brilliant Iggy O’Regan saves, one from a Maurice Shanahan penalty. Lismore also hit three bad wides in this period. Then Mount Sion were gifted a goal in the 38th minute when Lismore goalie Seanie Barry sent a short puckout straight to Martin F O’Neill who gratefully fired his second goal of the evening to the net. This left Lismore 2-14 to 0-12 down after 45 minutes and with a mountain to climb. They did lift their game a bit going into the final quarter, but their accuracy left them down. All told they had twelve wides to just five for Mount Sion.

Austin Gleeson had been in and out of the game, but he burst to light in the closing stages and produced some exhibition stuff, showing glimpses of this enormous ability. Paudie Prendergast scored a late consolation goal but Mount Sion romped to victory, 2-22 to 1-15.

Mount Sion: Ian O’Regan; Mikey Daykin; Peter Penkert; PJ Fanning; Luke O’Brien (0-1); Owen Whelan; Mark Hoban; Stephen Roche (0-1); Charlie Costello; John Kennedy; Evan McGrath (0-12, 10 frees, 1 65); Martin F O’Neill (2-0); Jack Meaney (0-1); Austin Gleeson (0-4, 2 frees); Alan Kirwan (0-1). Subs: Michael Gaffney (ht); Ben Flanagan for Mark Hoban (44 mins); Evan Curran (0-2) for Costello (52 mins); Donal Power for Gaffney (62 mins).

Dungarvan 2-17 Abbeyside 3-12

This local derby attracted one of the biggest crowds I have ever seen at a county quarter final, and they were treated to a ding-dong contest which finished in a welter of excitement.

Even though their late winning score was somewhat fortunate, I thought that Dungarvan deserved to win this game. Their touch was better and they looked the much better coached side, working the ball well through the lines and sending some good balls into the forwards. However, they were let down by some errant shooting which saw them hit eleven wides to Abbeyside’s seven (several of which came late in the game). Abbeyside also provided stubborn opposition throughout.

Abbeyside looked like a team which had got no coaching, which reflects poorly on Peter Queally’s stewardship. Their only game plan appeared to be to hit long balls in on top of young full forward Michael Kiely, and while the latter scored 2-1 and earned several frees (giving his marker Darragh Lyons a torrid time in the process), this was never going to be enough. I lost count of the number of times their defenders hit blind clearances out of defence to unmarked opponents, where Dungarvan were using short passes to work their way out. Abbeyside also had no puckout strategy and just kept hitting long balls, which were generally dealt with capably by a Dungarvan defence in which corner back John Curran, centre back Kieran Power and left half back Kenny Moore stood out.

Abbeyside got off to a good start, with Michael Kiely finding the net in the fourth minute. Dungarvan then got on top, but were unable to press home their advantage which allowed the Villagers to go in at half time with a one-point lead 1-7 to 0-9, Abbeyside’s total including a long-distance free converted by their goalie Stephen Enright. Dungarvan maintained their territorial dominance on the restart, and went ahead for the first time in the 38th minute. For the next 17 minutes it was tit-for-tat stuff, with Abbeyside equalising and Dungarvan then going ahead again, although Abbeyside were unlucky when Patrick Hurney broke through in the 40th minute but his shot rebounded from the crossbar.

Abbeyside appeared to have grabbed the initiative when Michael Kiely scored his second goal in the 55th minute, but straight from the puckout Joe Allen sent an unstoppable screamer into the top right-hand corner for Dungarvan. Gavin Crotty pushed Dungarvan ahead with a point in the 61st minute, but right away Abbeyside seemed to have got the decisive score when Mark Ferncombe forced the ball over the line from a ruck in the Dungarvan goalmouth. However, Dungarvan came back up the field and when a ball (which should have been cleared) was sent into the Abbeyside goalmouth from the left wing, Dungarvan’s Michael Kiely forced it over the line. It looked suspiciously like a square ball, and it was interesting that the green flag umpire did not immediately signal a goal but looked out to the referee expecting a whistle for a free. But when this did not come, the green flag went up.

Abbeyside had one final chance to save the game, but when a long ball into the Dungarvan goal went straight through to the goalie, it was all over.

Gavin Crotty also did well for Dungarvan, hitting four points. Darragh McGrath (who was excellent), Richie Foley and Neil Montgomery did best for Abbeyside.

Dungarvan: Gavin Power; John Curran; Darragh Lyons; Seán Ryan; Jamie Nagle (0-1); Kieran Power; Kenny Moore (0-1); Michael Kiely (1-2, one sideline); Conor Sheridan; Jack Lacey; Joe Allen (1-0); Cathal Curran; Gavin Crotty (0-4); Patrick Curran (0-2); Ryan Donnelly (0-7, 6 frees). Subs: Kealan Daly for Sheridan (ht); Luke O’Callaghan for Lacey (58 mins).

Abbeyside: Stephen Enright (0-1, free); Brian Looby; Evan Collins; Darragh McGrath; David Collins; Conor Prunty (0-1); Richie Foley; Maurice Power; Michael Maher; Patrick Hurney; Neil Montgomery (0-2); John Hurney; Mark Twomey (0-1); Michael Kiely (2-4, 3 frees); Mark Ferncombe (1-3, 2 frees). Subs: John Elstead for Evan Collins (20 mins); Michael O’Halloran for John Hurney (45 mins); Tiernan Murray for Twomey (58 mins).

Great analysis on both games. Was most disappointed by Lismore's performance. I thought they would beat Mount Sion but Sion started well and never looked back. De La Salle were poor too versus Roanmore but their big players stood up in the second half when it was in the melting pot. Its hard to see anything but a Ballygunner county title based on the weekends games as I think they will have too much for Dungarvan and also for whoever comes through the Sion/ De La Salle game which could be close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Gardner

Ballygunner favourites in East, they looked a cut above most teams in group stages

waterford gaa website still haven't updated the knockout page since 2018. what's the Q/F pairings?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

But you don't know who might get called up to the seniors.

I remember a young Jake Dillon was destroying teams a few years ago in intermediate and DLS called him up either before or after an intermediate semi final

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Every other county would put on both semi finals at the same venue as a double header. There's no logical reason why it won't happen with us. But they'll find an illogical one.

Every other county would put on both semi finals at the same venue as a double header. There's no logical reason why it won't happen with us. But they'll find an illogical one.

Preserve the pitch or crowd control

They prob end up putting DLS vs Mount Sion in Fraher Field and BG vs Dungarvan in Walsh Park

A double header in Walsh Park is the most ideal way of fixing these

Gardner wrote: »
    waterford gaa website still haven't updated the knockout page since 2018. what's the Q/F pairings?

Down to semi finals, draw made not have been made yet as there were games yesterday. East Waterford GAA on twitter should have it once made.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Preserve the pitch or crowd control

They prob end up putting DLS vs Mount Sion in Fraher Field and BG vs Dungarvan in Walsh Park

A double header in Walsh Park is the most ideal way of fixing these

Will the east and west intermediate semi finals be on the same weekend? They might double those up with senior games instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

Down to semi finals, draw made not have been made yet as there were games yesterday. East Waterford GAA on twitter should have it once made.

Ballygunner play Dungarvan. Mount Sion play de la salle in the semis.
    Draw made after quarter-finals finished last night.

While I'd prefer a double header, they understand that a lot of people down the west will tip into Dungarvan but won't go as far as Waterford.

The most likely final involves two city sides playing in a city venue, and that's going to turn off a lot of the western crowd also - so best to give them one last game down there to keep them happy.

hardybuck wrote: »
    While I'd prefer a double header, they understand that a lot of people down the west will tip into Dungarvan but won't go as far as Waterford.

The most likely final involves two city sides playing in a city venue, and that's going to turn off a lot of the western crowd also - so best to give them one last game down there to keep them happy.

In my view a perfect example of an illogical argument. I note you haven't stated you agree with it nor that you wouldn't travel yourself so I'm not having a dig at you. But to facilitate "fans" who wouldn't bother going to Walsh Park (where the surface is much better at the moment) is ludicrous. There are three teams from the city or just beside it and a team from Dungarvan. The only logical venue is Walsh Park

In my view a perfect example of an illogical argument. I note you haven't stated you agree with it nor that you wouldn't travel yourself so I'm not having a dig at you. But to facilitate "fans" who wouldn't bother going to Walsh Park (where the surface is much better at the moment) is ludicrous. There are three teams from the city or just beside it and a team from Dungarvan. The only logical venue is Walsh Park

Nobody is making an argument - except you it appears?

hardybuck wrote: »
    Nobody is making an argument - except you it appears?

Your post was either your own viewpoint or else you were suggesting it was a viewpoint of the county board, it's not clear which. However it was a dissenting viewpoint from what I had expressed which qualifies as an argument.

Your post was either your own viewpoint or else you were suggesting it was a viewpoint of the county board, it's not clear which. However it was a dissenting viewpoint from what I had expressed which qualifies as an argument.

You should really chill out and take the confrontational language somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

On the betting suspended thing, what was the score at that point? They don't offer handicap markets for those games so if it was over 10 points in the difference they might have just taken down the market. Would doubt they'd be taking much money on that game anyway

Bookies dont do in play betting on club games, unless its a club final etc.

The betting was suspended before the ball was thrown in. Before someone says ah sure they wouldnt take 50 cent on that, boyles, paddy power and others that priced the market would collectively stand any eventuality to about 3-4000 quid.

As Clonea / FMW were 5/6 the pair you can be sure about 3000-4000 quid went on Clonea.

thesultan wrote: »

what part is the lie?

A recent winner i was told had issues with the cheque, if i am being lied to fair enough, word for word below is i was told.

Person told not lodge or cash cheque for 5-6 weeks as money was not there, it was lodged then i believe not long later and it bounced.

What happened thereafter i cannot confirm.

I appreciate it is the rumour mill and i also appreciate it is waterford with that in mind ill ask anyways;

Did anyone hear / is there any substance or truth in the story that there were a few or maybe even one prominent business people prepared to put proper finance in place for a mgmt team, (i heard separately an interview candidate was asked to raise 100k for team as part of the gig also) and as part of the process had asked to see the county boards books by their own company accountant.

The request was declined by the board and the funding is now not in place.

Again iv put the above provisos in place as i appreciate its Waterford, by the same token it isnt impossible to happen given the fact it is Waterford!

Excellent post.
    All correct and we need young people like yourself to run for positions and to try change things.
    More importantly the next county secretary is hopefully not just one of the boys but someone with not just getting the job because they have held lots of other GAA positions before but someone who has experience of successfully leading a professional organisation, a record of achieving results and someone with lots of new ideas and vision.

there is no next county secretary. We have the one we have until he retires. 15 years at least. Unless he is sacked!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 RichardBzero

The betting was suspended before the ball was thrown in. Before someone says ah sure they wouldnt take 50 cent on that, boyles, paddy power and others that priced the market would collectively stand any eventuality to about 3-4000 quid.

As Clonea / FMW were 5/6 the pair you can be sure about 3000-4000 quid went on Clonea.

There was in play betting on the ballygunner - passage game for the whole game

• Advertisement

There was in play betting on the ballygunner - passage game for the whole game

thats a first on me then tbh, iv not come across that at all for a q final. what bookie powers?

thats a first on me then tbh, iv not come across that at all for a q final. what bookie powers?

Yeah it wasn’t powers. I only know as I happened to be looking at gaa prices at half time in the game while I was down there and came across it. I would have thought the exact same that there wouldn’t be in play betting on club games.

Yeah it wasn’t powers. I only know as I happened to be looking at gaa prices at half time in the game while I was down there and came across it. I would have thought the exact same that there wouldn’t be in play betting on club games.

Apologies, it was powers that should read.

DeiseDawg wrote: »
    Ballygunner play Dungarvan. Mount Sion play de la salle in the semis.
    Draw made after quarter-finals finished last night.

Intermediate he was asking about I believe

You could be right on the second point, but since you were wrong on the first point I'd say it's possible that's not correct either.

But to add to that, who said the money went on Clonea and not FMW? What was so untoward about this bet anyway? Just think the initial claim would want to be backed by something more than speculation or else it has no place being made in the first place.

Like a lot of what's posted on this page...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Intermediate he was asking about I believe

Ballygunner v Portlaw

Dunhill v Ballyduff

You could be right on the second point, but since you were wrong on the first point I'd say it's possible that's not correct either.

But to add to that, who said the money went on Clonea and not FMW? What was so untoward about this bet anyway? Just think the initial claim would want to be backed by something more than speculation or else it has no place being made in the first place.

Clonea were 5/6 earlier in week as was looking at prices, at one stage before throw on they were about 2/5 so would indicate all the money was going on them.

News must have broken that Jamie Barron was out with an injured ankle

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

News must have broken that Jamie Barron was out with an injured ankle

So how is it a new low for Waterford GAA, another poster I know said this but, with Barron ruled out it would easily explain money going on Clonea and the bookies reacting?

Gardner wrote: »
    Paddypower suspending betting on the fourmilewater clonea match must be a new low for Waterford hurling

I didnt say it was a new low. However i agree that it is a shocking poor reflection.

If someone on here thinks that betting being suspended on games here before they even take place can be construed as a positive or something that is acceptable.

Then the very integrity of Gaelic games in the county is questionable.

It happened years ago with Eoin Kelly 1st goal vs. Roanmore in SHC and as recently as a few weeks ago with manager betting suspended on Queally in particular. Similarly last year Pat ryan was backed as if defeat was out of the question.

People in the know are either involved - conflict of interest or are leaking information for others profit - also a conflict of interest or insider trading as it would be known.

In lay mans terms its murky, unprofessional and a very very bad image for games in the county.

Big difference between betting on the result of a match and betting on who the next manager will be. Barron was injured last week as well so wasn't exactly a last minute secret.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

JesusRef wrote: »
    So how is it a new low for Waterford GAA, another poster I know said this but, with Barron ruled out it would easily explain money going on Clonea and the bookies reacting?

I agree, Why would odds changing on a match be a low? Odds change on every sport based on what players are playing or missing. If Barca were missing Messi, I’m sure their odds would lengthen in a match

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tommylad1212

Will the east and west intermediate semi finals be on the same weekend? They might double those up with senior games instead

Wont be doubled up as eastern board will get the gate for the inter games ,and county board will get gate for senior games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

FMW attracted all the money in that match, mainly because Jamie Barron was meant to be playing and the bookies had apparently priced it up wrong assuming he wasn’t. They were 11/4 earlier in the week last week I think and by Friday evening they were as short as 4/6. Saturdayman is correct, for a senior hurling 1/4 final Powers would probably lay a couple of grand before calling it a day. Nothing untoward went on, it was a simple case of people believing the layers priced the game up wrong and wanted to get stuck in based on this.

Motivator wrote: »
    FMW attracted all the money in that match, mainly because Jamie Barron was meant to be playing and the bookies had apparently priced it up wrong assuming he wasn’t. They were 11/4 earlier in the week last week I think and by Friday evening they were as short as 4/6. Saturdayman is correct, for a senior hurling 1/4 final Powers would probably lay a couple of grand before calling it a day. Nothing untoward went on, it was a simple case of people believing the layers priced the game up wrong and wanted to get stuck in based on this.

Thank you, I'm glad someone clarified that. One conspiracy theory I was not going to entertain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Excellent post.
    All correct and we need young people like yourself to run for positions and to try change things.
    More importantly the next county secretary is hopefully not just one of the boys but someone with not just getting the job because they have held lots of other GAA positions before but someone who has experience of successfully leading a professional organisation, a record of achieving results and someone with lots of new ideas and vision.

there is no next county secretary. We have the one we have until he retires. 15 years at least. Unless he is sacked!

I thought the present county secretary's position is up at the end of next year and will be open for candidates to apply for the job.
    If Pat Flynn has the job until he retires then that is a big problem.

I thought the present county secretary's position is up at the end of next year and will be open for candidates to apply for the job.
    If Pat Flynn has the job until he retires then that is a big problem.

He has it for life afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Any news on a manager?
    Who is actually going for it and putting themselves forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Lingoweet913

He has it for life afaik

5 year term. Can seek to go again, not sure if it's contested or not in that case.

Any news on a manager?
    Who is actually going for it and putting themselves forward?

Fairly quite around which I dont knw is a good or bad thing

Peter Quelly will prob finish up with Abbeyside and could get the nod for the job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Fairly quite around which I dont knw is a good or bad thing

Peter Quelly will prob finish up with Abbeyside and could get the nod for the job

Well given your track record with inside scoops here we can probably rule him out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement