Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

cul beag wrote: »
    Brendan Cummins is favorite on what basis though? What experience has he? We have to be doing better than that.

It’s based on hearsay and speculation. Someone in Paddy Power doing up that market has the same knowledge as any of us speculating here. Twitter and Google are a Paddy Power trader’s bible when it comes to these type of bets.

They know no more or less than anyone at this stage. If someone was to go in to Paddy Power and ask for a bet on Jim Greene then there’d be a panic and his name would be added to that list. Don’t forget, the person doing up this market isn’t from Waterford. They could be from Leitrim or Donegal and would have no inside knowledge of Waterford hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭SW1985

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The Waterford u21 Hurling Team to face Cork tomorrow night in the Munster Semi Final has been named..[/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1. Billy Nolan (Roanmore)
    2. John Curran (Dungarvan)
    3. Mikey Daykin (Mount Sion)[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
    4. Darragh Lynch (Passage)
    5. Calum Lyons (Ballyduff Lower)
    6. Jordan Henley (Tallow)
    7. Garry Cullinane (Passage)
    8. Andrew Casey (Ballyduff Upper)
    9. Mikey Mahony (Ballygunner)
    10. Eddie Meaney (De La Salle)
    11. Peter Hogan (Ballygunner)
    12. John Kennedy (Mount Sion)
    13. John Paul Lucey (Shamrocks)
    14. Darragh Lyons (Dungarvan)
    15. Neil Montgomery (Abbeyside)[/font][/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Best of Luck to Sean Power, his management team and all the panel![/font][/font]

So who can tell me anything about these lads. Who should I look out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Motivator wrote: »
    cul beag wrote: »
    Brendan Cummins is favorite on what basis though? What experience has he? We have to be doing better than that.

It’s based on hearsay and speculation. Someone in Paddy Power doing up that market has the same knowledge as any of us speculating here. Twitter and Google are a Paddy Power trader’s bible when it comes to these type of bets.

They know no more or less than anyone at this stage. If someone was to go in to Paddy Power and ask for a bet on Jim Greene then there’d be a panic and his name would be added to that list. Don’t forget, the person doing up this market isn’t from Waterford. They could be from Leitrim or Donegal and would have no inside knowledge of Waterford hurling.

Im not making out like guys doing the odds know the Waterford hurling scene inside out. But if it was as random and clueless as you say then the most likely candidate to us could have crazy odds, like or 10/1 or something, and they would lose a tonne of cash when he gets the job. A lot of effort goes into researching these markets for the specific aim of not losing money.

The punters do the rest of the work for the odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Just spend the next week or so in ladcrokes in the sq Dungarvan, a certain co board chairman is certain to be in at some stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Deiseen wrote: »
    Im not making out like guys doing the odds know the Waterford hurling scene inside out. But if it was as random and clueless as you say then the most likely candidate to us could have crazy odds, like or 10/1 or something, and they would lose a tonne of cash when he gets the job. A lot of effort goes into researching these markets for the specific aim of not losing money.

You can be sure they won't lose a tonne of cash on this market. They won't take any sort of big bets. They will quickly slash odds, restrict bets and/or close the market if anything odd occurs.

For example Paul Flynn is 12/1. Say I had inside knowledge and wanted to make 'a fortune'. The max bet they will permit on him is €19.04. They are well covered

It is as simple as I have suggested though. Also, they wouldn’t lose a tonne of cash as the most anyone would get on any of those names is about €100 and then they’ll take the market down or shorten that person to an unbackabke price.

This is a novelty bet and as such the liability would be very low as they know how easily these type of markets could be manipulated by the public. Richie Foley used to work with Paddy Power and another Waterford chap (involved with DLS I think) used to work in the quants department in their head office too. Both have left the company I think but you can be sure they would have been asked their opinions on what was happening down in Waterford if they were still there!

It is as simple as I have suggested though. Also, they wouldn’t lose a tonne of cash as the most anyone would get on any of those names is about €100 and then they’ll take the market down or shorten that person to an unbackabke price.

This is a novelty bet and as such the liability would be very low as they know how easily these type of markets could be manipulated by the public. Richie Foley used to work with Paddy Power and another Waterford chap (involved with DLS I think) used to work in the quants department in their head office too. Both have left the company I think but you can be sure they would have been asked their opinions on what was happening down in Waterford if they were still there!

The only one I can get over 100 on is Cummins at 11/10. Sean power second fav at 7/2 = max bet of €63.04

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

Like what was already said. Novelty bets are free pr for the bookies.

It'll all.collapse quickly when there's a hint of am inkling.

KevIRL wrote: »
    The only one I can get over 100 on is Cummins at 11/10. Sean power second fav at 7/2 = max bet of €63.04

Yeah and if they accepted any of those bets the market would be reformed. As they’re the only company pricing this market up at the moment they’ve free reign to make whatever name they want favourite. Putting Brendan Cummins in as a money on favourite for the job creates a lot of talk and their name is involved in every conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Blaas4life

SW1985 wrote: »

Billy Nolan in goals,Dara lyons of abbeyside.....and that lynch lad from passage is supposedly good (

Blaas4life wrote: »
    SW1985 wrote: »

Billy Nolan in goals,Dara lyons of abbeyside.....and that lynch lad from passage is supposedly good (

Isn't Billy Nolan a (special) outfield player who got injured and was so good that they stuck him on goals. How come he still on goal?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Gavlor wrote: »
    IanVW wrote: »
    So wonder who might be in the running
    Anthony daly
    Fergal Hartley
    Dj Carey
    Sean Power
    Peter Quelly
    Fintan o connor
    Jason ryan
    Ken Mcgrath
    Any others feel free to add:)

Knock the bottom 4 from that list straight away
    And the top two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Brendan Cummins 8/11 fav on PP. Sean power 7/2.

Why is Brendan Cummins such a hot favourite? What have I missed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

davidx40 wrote: »
    Donal og Cusack should be number one man on list ....fantastic hurling brain ....

Don't get this Donal Og thing at all. All great with his colourful statistics and charts in his suits in the RTE studio but the actual facts are he spent two years in Clare as coach alongside Davy Fitzgerald one year and the new management another year and Clare performanced terribly whilst he was there doing all the coaching. He hasn't got a sniff with any inter-county team in Cork.

It's only this year since Donal has left that Clare seem to be playing with some level of freedom and confidence.

The other point I would make is Donal Og has never managed a team at any level at inter-county.

I think a joint ticket if it could be brokered of Anthony Daly as manager with Mattie Kenny as coach with two solid local selectors the likes of Eoin Murphy, Fergal Hartley or Tony Browne would be an outstanding management team. Daly would bring huge drive, inspiration and totally re-energise the entire setup whilst Mattie Kenny would have them brilliantly coached and tactically set up very well. Just look at how he got Cuala setup and hurling is evidence in itself and what Daly done in Dublin was magnificent, Dublins best hurling was achieved under Daly winning a league, Leinster title and getting to within one puck of an All-Ireland final.

However we have two chances of the Waterford county board having the foresight, vision and wherewithal to achieve getting this type of management team....slim and none.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭SW1985

Cheers. I've heard a lot about Billy Nolan. Thought he might be outfield though. And yeah Daragh Lyons from the last couple of years. I'll keep an eye out for Lynch

• Advertisement

I hope we get a really good fitness coach too. It's well noted that the guy who was with Tipp two years ago went to Galway last year and look how both teams powered their way to All Irelands in the last two years and how well Galway are shaping up again this year as he's still with them as far as I know.

Great news ,

While Anthony Daly did well with Dublin (some years, they got knocked out by Antrim in one), we either need a Waterford man with serious potential or a proven AI winning manager from outside. 
    Daly had a bad time with Clare and his only success outside of Dublin, is two club titles with a club in Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

While Anthony Daly did well with Dublin (some years, they got knocked out by Antrim in one), we either need a Waterford man with serious potential or a proven AI winning manager from outside. 
    Daly had a bad time with Clare and his only success outside of Dublin, is two club titles with a club in Kerry.

Thought he did a great job with Clare to be honest

• Advertisement

Ok, he got them to two semi finals, can't argue with that and I'm not saying it's bad. But they did not do well in the opening stages of Munster and we need someone who has won the big one and knows what it takes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,107 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'd pick on a 2 year contract

Sean Power- Manager
    John Allen (or someone of that calibre)- mentor
    Paul Flynn, Eoin Murphy and Eoin Kelly- Selectors

We also need an experienced Fitness coach

Surprised no mention of Pauric Fanning who is with Wexford as a selector or Jimmy Meaney (Mt Sion and former Waterford minor manager)

Best of luck to the under 21s tonight (deferred coverage on TG4). Huge ask to win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭dzer2

Ok, he got them to two semi finals, can't argue with that and I'm not saying it's bad. But they did not do well in the opening stages of Munster and we need someone who has won the big one and knows what it takes.

Can you put some name's to the people who know what it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Gardner

PTH2009 wrote: »

Sean Power- Manager

Surprised no mention of Pauric Fanning who is with Wexford as a selector or Jimmy Meaney (Mt Sion and former Waterford minor manager)

Best of luck to the under 21s tonight (deferred coverage on TG4). Huge ask to win

Dumb and Dumber :o:o

dzer2 wrote: »

Wish I knew! There are obviously managers out there who have won All-Irelands but doesn't look like our CC's budget can afford any of them.

Wish I knew! There are obviously managers out there who have won All-Irelands but doesn't look like our CC's budget can afford any of them.

Any millionaires want to chip in and help out

Isn't it a volunteer role ??

Sean Power getting constant flak on here. I understand he hasn't managed a club BUT how is that proof that he's a clueless manager? I would understand if he took a great winning team and turned them into a pack of losers BUT, not having done something is not proof that you can't actually do it.
    Yes we had an exceptional minor and under 21 team, but he obviously managed them right in order to reach their potential. That can be difficult, especially at minor level and especially in Waterford.
    One of the main criticism's of DMG on here, was that he limited the teams potential but then people say that anyone could have managed those minor/under 21 teams. You can definitely manage a team very badly, there is no doubt about that.
    As someone said earlier, Quelly managed a serious under 21 team of ours that was fancied to beat Clare and we lost by 21 points to Clare.

Any millionaires want to chip in and help out

Isn't it a volunteer role ??
    It very well could be but they will want resources to train the team, which the county board don't have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

Gardner wrote: »

Sean Power- Manager

Dumb and Dumber :o:o
    Very unfair comment. Can you name the teams you have managed to All Ireland titles (or any title)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭dzer2

dzer2 wrote: »

To me there are only 2 Cody and Gavin all the rest can't get consistency apart from Tipp and Galway the other counties are robbing the forwards to sort out defence problems. While KK have a few defence issues I think Cody is getting to grips with them and next year they will be back on the wagon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

Think the lads themselves should be the first to be asked who they would like to work with.

Would also like to see Derek stay around in the background somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭upthedeise16

Derek Lyons wouldn’t be happy with you saying Darragh is Abbeyside 😂 He’s Dungarvan and played under 21 as a minor 3/4 years ago when his father was manager and of course won the All-Ireland 2 years ago. He’s a great prospect for midfield but lacks size and strength but is brave and an outstanding hurler!

Conor Prunty is a big loss as he would have been centre back but I had heard he was on the way to recovery, pity as he’s had a lot of injuries.

Billy Nolan will be second choice goalie next year on the senior panel, another great prospect.

Derek Lyons wouldn’t be happy with you saying Darragh is Abbeyside �� He’s Dungarvan and played under 21 as a minor 3/4 years ago when his father was manager and of course won the All-Ireland 2 years ago. He’s a great prospect for midfield but lacks size and strength but is brave and an outstanding hurler!

Conor Prunty is a big loss as he would have been centre back but I had heard he was on the way to recovery, pity as he’s had a lot of injuries.

Billy Nolan will be second choice goalie next year on the senior panel, another great prospect.

great to hear Billy has been in touch with the new manager and will be on the panel next year.... :rolleyes::o:confused:

deise08 wrote: »
    Think the lads themselves should be the first to be asked who they would like to work with.

Jesus no, he,s done enough

deise08 wrote: »

Jesus no, he,s done enough

From the sounds of his relationship with the players. He might be a good man to give a call to in order to get a players head in the right place.

Your very extreme in your criticism and I'm sure the only thing that matters to Derek is what the players think of him.

You might not agree with his management style but the players certainly bought into it.

"Sure they were so talented, anyone could have managed them to an All Ireland...."

Waterford team from 2004 that never came close:

1 Stephen Brenner
    2 Eoin Murphy
    3 James Murray
    4 Declan Prendergast
    5 Bryan Phelan
    6 Ken McGrath (c)
    7 Tony Browne
    8 Dave Bennett
    9 Eoin McGrath
    10 Eoin Kelly
    11 Dan Shanahan
    12 Michael Walsh
    13 John Mullane
    14 Seamus Prendergast
    15 Paul Flynn

I know senior is very different and more competitive but let's not belittle the achievements of Sean Power in a county that has had very little success at any level. Same goes for Derek getting as close last year.

"Sure they were so talented, anyone could have managed them to an All Ireland...."

Waterford team from 2004 that never came close:

1 Stephen Brenner
    2 Eoin Murphy
    3 James Murray
    4 Declan Prendergast
    5 Bryan Phelan
    6 Ken McGrath (c)
    7 Tony Browne
    8 Dave Bennett
    9 Eoin McGrath
    10 Eoin Kelly
    11 Dan Shanahan
    12 Michael Walsh
    13 John Mullane
    14 Seamus Prendergast
    15 Paul Flynn

I know senior is very different and more competitive but let's not belittle the achievements of Sean Power in a county that has had very little success at any level. Same goes for Derek getting as close last year.

Yes they did come close, they’d have won the All Ireland in 2004 if it wasn’t for bad luck on the day against Kilkenny. The whole fiasco with the travel to Dublin on the morning of the game threw the players all out of whack. Add in the fact Mullane was missing that day and the conditions were poor enough. Kilkenny only scored 3-11 and our over reliance on Flynner probably killed us. I can remember Paul O Brien going to latch on a breaking ball about 30 yards from goal and losing his footing at the last second. If he had stayed on his feet he did have been one on one with McGarry, I think we were three points down at the time. We lost by a goal in the end and Kilkenny were well beaten in he Final by a Cork team that we’d beaten in the Munster Final. That team was as close as we came to an All Ireland and it was our best chance.

Yes they did come close, they’d have won the All Ireland in 2004 if it wasn’t for bad luck on the day against Kilkenny. The whole fiasco with the travel to Dublin on the morning of the game threw the players all out of whack. Add in the fact Mullane was missing that day and the conditions were poor enough. Kilkenny only scored 3-11 and our over reliance on Flynner probably killed us. I can remember Paul O Brien going to latch on a breaking ball about 30 yards from goal and losing his footing at the last second. If he had stayed on his feet he did have been one on one with McGarry, I think we were three points down at the time. We lost by a goal in the end and Kilkenny were well beaten in he Final by a Cork team that we’d beaten in the Munster Final. That team was as close as we came to an All Ireland and it was our best chance.

Another poster who has memory loss from last years All Ireland :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

Not in favour of someone from outside the county who does not have senior intercounty management experience. We can't have fellas learning on the job.

Think there is an argument to appoint a person from within the county who does not have senior experience. Not ideal but if we cannot promote our own then that is a pretty bad verdict on our ourselves. I like Fergal Hartley but he has not succeeded as a manager with Waterford underage - thinking of the U21s. Derek was so close to the players maybe a different style might pay dividends. Maybe Anthony Cunningham?. Hopefully the C Board will get the right person soon.

Would someone looking in be put off by the County Board?. They do not look like they know what they are doing. I believe the players are there to go and win an AI within the next few years.

• Advertisement

Tramore84 wrote: »
    Not in favour of someone from outside the county who does not have senior intercounty management experience. We can't have fellas learning on the job.

Think there is an argument to appoint a person from within the county who does not have senior experience. Not ideal but if we cannot promote our own then that is a pretty bad verdict on our ourselves. I like Fergal Hartley but he has not succeeded as a manager with Waterford underage - thinking of the U21s. Derek was so close to the players maybe a different style might pay dividends. Maybe Anthony Cunningham?. Hopefully the C Board will get the right person soon.

Would someone looking in be put off by the County Board?. They do not look like they know what they are doing. I believe the players are there to go and win an AI within the next few years.

Tipp and Clare always hire within and have promoted former underage coaches to senior management

I wonder will tonight's performance in the under 21s enhance/lower Sean Powers chances of getting the senior job ??

Derek Lyons, Jimmy Meaney and Liam O Connor (he managed the minors a few years ago) are prob the most successful underage managers outside of Sean Power the last few years. Fergal Hartley and Peter Quelly have done it at club level but failed at intercounty underage when they had the jobs. Who else locally is there who would not be a rookie

Paul Flynn never managed a senior club. Ken McGrath had a bad enough time managing the Mount Sion seniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Kilkenny were playing their third game on the trot after tough games against Clare, one game where they finished with 14 men, it was their 4th game in 5 weeks.... Waterford were rested all that time and still couldn't get them!

I guess Kilkenny just didn't have as many excuses as us looking at the sorry list of lame excuses above 😀😀... Beyond sad

Kk went on to be hammered by Cork in the AI by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭optiplex780

Anyone seen any of these plans for the walsh park redevelopment? Or know when they will be out?

Jack Prendergast and Conor Prunty both starting in the under 21, big boost for the team

Another poster who has memory loss from last years All Ireland :o:o

Yep and the 2008 team came even closer than the 2004 team by actually getting to the final and look how far away they were.

Point being, All Irelands do not come easy and every team has excuses every year and a good panel of players isn't an automatic ticket to success. Derek came the closest in recent times at senior level and Sean Power actually did the business at minor and under 21. These are facts.

Out if curiosity, who managed the under 21 winning team in 91/92 (can't remember the year)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Tony Mansfield?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Ropaire wrote: »
    Tony Mansfield?

Yes it was, along with Peter Power

great to hear Billy has been in touch with the new manager and will be on the panel next year.... :rolleyes::o:confused:

It’s obviously just an opinion but having seen Nolan with the county as a minor star and over the last 2 years as under 21 goalie, it’s just my opinion that he is in the top 3 goalies in the county. Saw him in Clonmel against Tipp for the under 21s last week and he was outstanding and having seen him hit frees for Roanmore over the last 3 years he is a serious prospect which he backed up again tonight with 2 great saves and some great frees against a stiff breeze.

The under 21’s performed well tonight and Cork’s key men weren’t as influential as would have been expected. It’s a pity Prunty and Darragh Lyons have had the injuries they have as they may have got game time in the Munster championship otherwise. Unfortunately the Cork half backs started to dominate in the 2nd half and Peter Hogan, Meaney and Jack Prendergast were kept quiet. It was a spirited display and they never gave in and the subs introduced done well like Beecher, Lyons and Daly. A good display but Cork has the more dangerous forwards and took some great scores in the 2nd half.
    And that’s a wrap on Waterford intercounty hurling teams for 2018 unfortunately.

Looking forward to the footballers tie against Monaghan but the under 20 have a trip to play Kerry under 20’s who kicked 1-30 last week against Limerick and have won the last 4 minor All-Ireland’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

Good outing by Waterford in Cork given how strong Cork are at this level and were unlucky not to win it. Sean Power would be a fantastic manager of the seniors, playing attacking hurling with purpose and positivity. Meant to be a very likeable guy from those on the winning all ireland minors and U21s. Hopefully interclub rivalry with Mount Sion won't rule him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Good outing by Waterford in Cork given how strong Cork are at this level and were unlucky not to win it. Sean Power would be a fantastic manager of the seniors, playing attacking hurling with purpose and positivity. Meant to be a very likeable guy from those on the winning all ireland minors and U21s. Hopefully interclub rivalry with Mount Sion won't rule him out.

It was definitely a positive outing but not without negatives. Some of the substitutions were strange to say the least. Casey was playing very well midfield while his partner was struggling, but Casey replaced early in second half and Mahony remained on all game. Cork noticeably took over in midfield after this change.
    I’m not sure how strong our bench was overall but a number of players were struggling greatly in the second half. Hogan, Meaney anoymous more or less, bar one good score from Hogan. Lyons outstanding in first half but his lack of training really told in the second half. JP Lucey was impressive in spells, Henley solid at centre back, Daykin impressive at full back, Curran solid. Nolan could push SOK for the jersey soon if he commits to the panel.

Very interesting to see Shane Bennett there as Maor Uisce, a public show of support for Seán Power’s campaign for next manager possibly?

Hard luck to the under 21s who gave it there all

Sean Power could of added fire to his campaign for the senior job if he wants to go for it. He gave a good interview in the Munster this week and at the end of he Siad this ' I just hope
    they’re learning from me. The idea
    here is, when looking at the grander
    scheme of things, is that some of
    these guys will go on and play senior
    hurling for Waterford, and if four or
    fi ve of those guys progress to senior
    over the next couple of years, then I’ll
    feel I’ll have done my job. To win it
    out would be brilliant but this is the
    apex of the development squads, the
    very pinnacle before you progress to
    the real deal, the big show but yeah, I
    still enjoy it enormously, it’s great fun
    and as long as I keep enjoying it. I’ll
    keep at it, as long as the County Board
    want me to do it and the club too, I’m
    very happy to do it.”

If Sean wants the job he does need a strong backroom team as Senior management is a different kettle of fish.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement