Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Deisefacts wrote: »
    After attending last nights football match, I can now confirm that Dessie o Leary is the worst referee we have or there’s ever been in the county. And that’s a fact

Jesus ref.....for f*cks sake Dessie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Ballinacourty-Kilrossanty, Nire-An Rinn, Rathgormack-Gaultier, Stradbally-Clashmore

who are the favorites out of the 8 , the nire . stradbally Courtey ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

who are the favorites out of the 8 , the nire . stradbally Courtey ?

Not sure about actually winning it but Rathgormack could be dark horses there. Only a matter of time before they're in a final, a lot of good young players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Would be a decent appointment but he stated he would never manage outside of Kilkenny

So what's he doing managing IT Carlow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Deisefacts wrote: »
    After attending last nights football match, I can now confirm that Dessie o Leary is the worst referee we have or there’s ever been in the county. And that’s a fact

How is he still reffing at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

hardybuck wrote: »
    How is he still reffing at all?

He's shocking bad and a danger to players on the field with his attitude and grasp of the rules. Not many referees out there though so keeps getting games and is one of the more senior referees around the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

He's shocking bad and a danger to players on the field with his attitude and grasp of the rules. Not many referees out there though so keeps getting games and is one of the more senior referees around the county.

An Abomination.

Regularly turns up to senior championship games with no umpires, no grasp of the changing rules - mark, square ball, black card, kick outs.

Players get frustrated then with him and with each other at which point he starts giving abuse back to players.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Deisefacts

An Abomination.

Regularly turns up to senior championship games with no umpires, no grasp of the changing rules - mark, square ball, black card, kick outs.

Players get frustrated then with him and with each other at which point he starts giving abuse back to players.

His 2 umpires on Friday night were John Jackson and pat flynn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

69776584_2432808320136531_4193555541819129856_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_oc=AQm-Sf0pjW36VaL77VqrLMry1wbddWyzWk_3m6G7KmMpON_TqyfDEx0H76ItRu_ZGKg&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=c0f6803908ba85756595fae8ad96d3fc&oe=5E1021AD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Gardner

An Abomination.

could you understand him? :D

All quite on the management front

Think Quelly has it by default

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

All quite on the management front

Think Quelly has it by default

Is Power not still in the running

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Only one person nominated by clubs by all accounts - Queally

Only one person nominated by clubs by all accounts - Queally

Hopefully the comitee have other options to go with but i doubt it

where did this DJ Carey thing come out of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

One by one the other counties have been signing , yet here we are still with no one on the horizon.

• Advertisement

deise08 wrote: »
    One by one the other counties have been signing , yet here we are still with no one on the horizon.

There hoping to have someone appointed before the end of the month

Sure Peter Q will prob get it anyway so why the hold up? Abbeyside are gone from the Championship

• Registered Users Posts: 1 over the bar

Rumour has it Brendan cummins was interviewed for the job and ciaran carey is also a front runner

Rumour has it Brendan cummins was interviewed for the job and ciaran carey is also a front runner

lovely rumours

Ciaran Carey would hardly drive down from Limerick 3/4 times a week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

lovely rumours

Ciaran Carey would hardly drive down from Limerick 3/4 times a week

Does Cummins have any managerial experience to speak of....?

deise08 wrote: »

Kilkenny - no change.
    Tipperary - no change...yet.
    Carlow - no change.
    Wexford - no change.
    Cork - going back to a previous internal manager.
    Limerick - no change.
    Clare - one of the joint managers just stepped down.
    Dublin - no change.
    Galway - manager stepped down and hasn't been replaced.

Who are you referring to exactly?

• Advertisement

More of it this weekend...3 all West ties in the football all on different days. 10 euro to attend each of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

I think the deal is done and it will be announced at the next meeting.

thesultan wrote: »

About what ?

Queally after getting the job ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Gardner wrote: »
    could you understand him? :D

Kudos to you Gardner. If we want cowardly personal abuse of referees we can just pop into Fraher or Walsh Pk any given weekend. Don’t need keyboard warriors for that

Kudos to you Gardner. If we want cowardly personal abuse of referees we can just pop into Fraher or Walsh Pk any given weekend. Don’t need keyboard warriors for that

ah will ya stop. i know Dessie over 25 years and the chap is a gent. past his sell by date but i don't see anyone else stepping up to replace him. never once have i abused Dessie at a game but some of the abuse he receives is criminal. now climb down off your high horse

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

I've been impressed by the young O'Toole refereeing this year, seems to speak to players and explain decisions and young Tyler is also excellent and looks like he will be soon getting intercounty championship games if he keeps going the way he is going

I've been impressed by the young O'Toole refereeing this year, seems to speak to players and explain decisions and young Tyler is also excellent and looks like he will be soon getting intercounty championship games if he keeps going the way he is going

Is that the same Tyler who played underage football with the county?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Gardner wrote: »
    ah will ya stop. i know Dessie over 25 years and the chap is a gent. past his sell by date but i don't see anyone else stepping up to replace him. never once have i abused Dessie at a game but some of the abuse he receives is criminal. now climb down off your high horse
    Chap! Gent ?

Is that the same Tyler who played underage football with the county?

Would have played underage hurling and football. Moved to Modeligo club a number of years ago and still a very good player for them too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 HelloHello1234

Id imagine theyd be to the fore to do the semi finals or final of the hurling. certainly 2 of the best we have

Young Tyler the best by a mile. Can talk to him , let's it flow. Hasn't an ego like some..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭OEP

Young Tyler the best by a mile. Can talk to him , let's it flow. Hasn't an ego like some..

That's the simplest thing a ref can do to keep players happy, most give an extra 10 yards if you try and talk to them. Bomber is a good ref to have a chat with as well

OEP wrote: »
    That's the simplest thing a ref can do to keep players happy, most give an extra 10 yards if you try and talk to them. Bomber is a good ref to have a chat with as well

Michael Wadding was notorious for that. one of the worst ref's that ever came out of the county

OEP wrote: »

There is a difference too between lads shouting at the ref non-stop and those who are genuinely trying to understand decisions. If the ref is at a good level, and is comfortable in his own ability, he's more likely to be willing to engage in my experience.

Personally I would probably explain to lads beforehand that I'm not tolerating abuse, and then dish out yellow cards pretty quickly if I started hearing it - because some lads just have bad habits that need to be broken.

I remember one petulant ref a few years ago blowing up a divisional final because one supporter was in his year. The more stick he got the worse his decisions became - he actually let the crowd influence him to that degree. Then eventually he blew up and called the match to a halt like a big child.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭brian2614

This has to be an April fool.. That chap Tooler cant keep up with play in football or hurling.

After seen him cause more riots on a pitch by not taking control of the game and also letting serious dirty tackles/strokes go unpunished.

As for his father,he shouldn't be allowed near a whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

With regards the senior hurling manager and us not being able to get a big name manager from outside so have to go for a cheaper option from within, how much money does one need to attract a manager? I know we're trying to get money for a new stadium and all that and the perception is we're broke but there is sponsorship and local businesses and surely a few quid there for day to day running. How much is needed to get a decent manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭OEP

There is a difference too between lads shouting at the ref non-stop and those who are genuinely trying to understand decisions. If the ref is at a good level, and is comfortable in his own ability, he's more likely to be willing to engage in my experience.

Personally I would probably explain to lads beforehand that I'm not tolerating abuse, and then dish out yellow cards pretty quickly if I started hearing it - because some lads just have bad habits that need to be broken.

I remember one petulant ref a few years ago blowing up a divisional final because one supporter was in his year. The more stick he got the worse his decisions became - he actually let the crowd influence him to that degree. Then eventually he blew up and called the match to a halt like a big child.

I agree but what causes players to start shouting and giving out is when they don't know what the free was for. When I played I always appreciated the ref explaining to me what the free was for if it wasn't obvious, and even if I disagreed with him I wouldn't go giving out - I might just shake my head or something.

brian2614 wrote: »
    This has to be an April fool.. That chap Tooler cant keep up with play in football or hurling.

After seen him cause more riots on a pitch by not taking control of the game and also letting serious dirty tackles/strokes go unpunished.

As for his father,he shouldn't be allowed near a whistle.

Would you not volunteer for it yourself? It takes a lot more balls to actually have a go at it than it does to sit in the comfort of the stand or behind a computer screen and dish out stick

I have huge respect for people that referee games. Not so much those that sit back and criticise like they’re owed something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭brian2614

Would you not volunteer for it yourself? It takes a lot more balls to actually have a go at it than it does to sit in the comfort of the stand or behind a computer screen and dish out stick

I have huge respect for people that referee games. Not so much those that sit back and criticise like they’re owed something

I am "volunteering" for it currently and I have dished the stick to his face many a time and his father. The difference is I have played both games to a decent level and know the rules of the each.He hasn't and doesn't..

His fitness is an absolute joke to.

Waterford GAA is in the state its in because of to many soft people wont say it as it is for fear of hurting the gravy train or god for bid a adults feelings when he/she is clearly s**t at what they are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

brian2614 wrote: »

I am "volunteering" for it currently and I have dished the stick to his face many a time and his father. The difference is I have played both games to a decent level and know the rules of the each.He hasn't and doesn't..

His fitness is an absolute joke to.

Waterford GAA is in the state its in because of to many soft people wont say it as it is for fear of hurting the gravy train or god for bid a adults feelings when he/she is clearly s**t at what they are doing.

Could be worse. Waterford camogie seem to get Martin Quilty to ref alot of their games. Now if ever their was a ref who loved being the center of attention it's him. And as for keeping up with the play. And he is not even from Waterford.

You've never seen Kissane so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

I have and just don't get the problem people have. He takes no sh1t from anyone players or mentors which is always uncomfortable for people who think that refs should wait to be told what decision to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

The ref was petulant? Not the mouth breather in the crowd? The fact that people around the mouth breather didn't shut him up. But the ref was petulant. Grand.

The ref was petulant? Not the mouth breather in the crowd? The fact that people around the mouth breather didn't shut him up. But the ref was petulant. Grand.

The ref was well known at the time for his petulant behaviour and improved over time in fairness to him.

On the specific point about the dope in the crowd - absolutely he shouldn't have been getting in the referee's ear. However, no referee should be listening to the crowd - very much in the same way the player shouldn't. They shouldn't be influenced by them at all. Imagine David Gough getting upset by the crowd at a big game!

Is the county board meeting next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Deisefacts

Is the county board meeting next week?

There’s a meeting being called for next week to ratify peter Queally as manager. Dan, Darragh Duggan, Shane Briggs and Denis Walsh will form the nucleus of the backroom team. Not very appealing but we reap what we sow. Looking at the last 2 under 20/21 teams and I think there’s not a lot to come off it. Michael Kiely abbeyside only player from last years minor team and not too sure what could come from this years minor team as Darragh Duggan’s tactics, and behavior, destroyed what potential could’ve been a good minor team. Kieran power and jack Fagan are the only 2 to really standout for me so far in the club games. There isn’t a lot there for people who think we should have a full cleanout. I think peter might be better served by addressing the problems that are there between players, board, etc whatever it is. At this I’d be happy just to win 1 championship game next year and have all the issues resolved

They already got Jack Prendergast, Calum Lyons and Conor Prunty off last year's under 21 team. If Darragh Lyons or Peter Hogan could kick on that would be 4 off a team who didn't win a game at minor or under 21 which would be serious going. Granted the first three mightn't kick on but they made a decent start in a poor year.

It's the form of the 2013/2016 crop that's the concern. There should be 3 or 4 top inter county players and really we've only seen one to date, and Austin Gleeson was out of form this year.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement