Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tommylad1212

regardless of whether they would beat them or not, the point I'm making is that it would expose the likes of michael harney and other talentd players these teams have to a higher level. I think they would hold there own at senior level. cois brid is another team with the like of modeligo colligan and kilgobinet thrown in would surely expose the likes of dunford and devine to a higher level
    Not a hope would they kill/fenor are playing relegation final from intermediate this week so kilmac /bunmahon/ Newtown players would make them a strong senior team !! Its hard enough to try get championships finished never mind throwing in group teams

• Registered Users Posts: 49 HelloHello1234

Not a hope would they kill/fenor are playing relegation final from intermediate this week so kilmac /bunmahon/ Newtown players would make them a strong senior team !! Its hard enough to try get championships finished never mind throwing in group teams

I think people are missing the point here. its so teams can play at a stronger level. look at clan na gael theyre exposing players to higher levels under age and teams like dunhill are expiriencing a good influx of player. the same can be said for erins own/ ferrbank when they combined 3 years ago and were within seconds of beating dela salle for an u21 title. them players wouldnt have played at that level only for combined teams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Group teams were trialled in Waterford before and didn't work. The appetite isn't there and it's something clubs need to drive themselves, not county boards.

What you will see in the coming years is smaller clubs amalgamating at adult level more. Too many clubs to sustain for the current player base in the County.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Group teams were trialled in Waterford before and didn't work. The appetite isn't there and it's something clubs need to drive themselves, not county boards.

What you will see in the coming years is smaller clubs amalgamating at adult level more. Too many clubs to sustain for the current player base in the County.

Thankfully someone said it. They simply don’t work in Waterford. Tried in the past, teams hardly trained together, struggled to field and when they did they lost by cricket scores. Different in cork where there is tradition and honour in playing for your division. Sounds good and all and it’s a pity that someone like Micheal Harney who was an outstanding underage player for the county is with a club that struggles and I fear he may have to move to a senior club if he’s ever to reestablish himself at intercounty level

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Stephen Molumphy and Tony Browne are the rumoured names as selectors with Liam Cahill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

cul beag wrote: »
    Stephen Molumphy and Tony Browne are the rumoured names as selectors with Liam Cahill.

I think when you see the rumoured Cork set up of Kingston, Sully, Cunningham and Pat Mulcahy it shows us where we’re at. Cork obviously have great resources to put these fellas in the one management team given all are potential intercounty management material on their own.

Browne has limited experience to my knowledge and Molumphy the same. Would place a good deal of pressure on Cahill and Bevan.
    I really do think the backroom team is absolutely vital in this appointment and hope we can get a strong management team in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Quite a few some keep it very quite

One I can think of is John O Shea of soccer fame

There’s a high number of millionaires, and multi millionaires at that, in Waterford. O’Shea wouldn’t be in the top 5 wealthiest fellas in the city/county.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Lingoweet913

cul beag wrote: »

Browne is completely clueless

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Obi1mikal

Browne is completely clueless

4 munster titles, 3 all stars, 1 hurler of the year, 7 county medals and 1 munster club, also trained lismore to intermediate club and Munster titles.

"Completely clueless" is probably a tad harsh

He was an absolutely iconic and amazing player but it doesn’t automatically make him very good from a managerial point of view unfortunately. Winning Intermediate with a lismore team that should never have been Intermediate isn’t an impressive feat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

He was an absolutely iconic and amazing player but it doesn’t automatically make him very good from a managerial point of view unfortunately. Winning Intermediate with a lismore team that should never have been Intermediate isn’t an impressive feat.

Maybe you could enlighten us with his coaching deficiencies instead of taking cheap shots like an internet hardman

I never said he was a very good coach just said calling him completely clueless was harsh. To make a comment like that shows how clueless you are and on lismore if coarse they deserved to be intermediate they were relegated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I am completely clueless

Fixed that for you.

Fixed that for you.

Sound lad hahahaha

Obi1mikal wrote: »
    I never said he was a very good coach just said calling him completely clueless was harsh. To make a comment like that shows how clueless you are and on lismore if coarse they deserved to be intermediate they were relegated.

OK. Completely clueless was too harsh and lazy. My bad.

He has an extremely narrow view of the game, and I think that is a problem when it comes to intercounty management working with modern tactics. I don't think he's intercounty standard because I don't think he understands fully how the modern intercounty game has changed from the game he played.

With regards Lismore - look, any team who goes down in a particular year deserves to go down. But as a whole, the years before and since they were intermediate, they were way way above that standard. It was a blip.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

OK. Completely clueless was too harsh and lazy. My bad.

He has an extremely narrow view of the game, and I think that is a problem when it comes to intercounty management working with modern tactics. I don't think he's intercounty standard because I don't think he understands fully how the modern intercounty game has changed from the game he played.

With regards Lismore - look, any team who goes down in a particular year deserves to go down. But as a whole, the years before and since they were intermediate, they were way way above that standard. It was a blip.

You could not be more wrong if you tried. He is the complete opposite of what you are saying. One of the most forward thinking coaches I have met and very tactically aware of the modern game. Would love to see him getting very involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So if Ballygunner Intermediates win today and then manage to win the Eastern final will the western champs go straight up to senior without having to win the county intermediate ??

Big ask tho

So if Ballygunner Intermediates win today and then manage to win the Eastern final will the western champs go straight up to senior without having to win the county intermediate ??

Big ask tho

I might be wrong but I think Ballygunner have the option of going up or staying intermediate if they win the County.

cascade12 wrote: »
    You could not be more wrong if you tried. He is the complete opposite of what you are saying. One of the most forward thinking coaches I have met and very tactically aware of the modern game. Would love to see him getting very involved.

This hasn’t what I’ve been told but fair enough, let’s hope it’s the case and he helps us go to the next level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Big ask tho[/quote

I think Tallow did it in the eighties.

• Advertisement

Big ask tho[/quote

Big ask tho[/quote

Big ask tho[/quote

Big ask tho[/quote

• Registered Users Posts: 47 RichardBzero

I might be wrong but I think Tallow did it in the 80s.

Dunhill 3-24 (33)- Ballyduff Lower 5-17 (32) FT

Half time score in the other semi Ballygunner 2-11- Portlaw 0-04

I might be wrong but I think Ballygunner have the option of going up or staying intermediate if they win the County.

Jesus 2 ballygunner teams in the senior Championship

FT- Ballygunner 3-17- Portlaw 0-09

Eastern Intermediate hurling final- Dunhill vs Ballygunner Intermediates

Western Intermediate hurling final- Ardmore vs Ballysaggart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

DiscoStew wrote: »
    I think when you see the rumoured Cork set up of Kingston, Sully, Cunningham and Pat Mulcahy it shows us where we’re at. Cork obviously have great resources to put these fellas in the one management team given all are potential intercounty management material on their own.

Browne has limited experience to my knowledge and Molumphy the same. Would place a good deal of pressure on Cahill and Bevan.
    I really do think the backroom team is absolutely vital in this appointment and hope we can get a strong management team in place.

Cork going back to Kingston with sully....this is hardly a good appointment? isn’t Kingston the guy who left the job a meer two years after we sent them home from Croke Park with the second half demolition performance ( has to have been my best ever day as a Waterford supporter.....langer after langer leaving the game with ten mins to go etc etc), the squad/panel not hugely different to me it shows all not well with them either, surely they would have been able to attract a bigger name......??

• Advertisement

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Cork going back to Kingston with sully....this is hardly a good appointment? isn’t Kingston the guy who left the job a meer two years after we sent them home from Croke Park with the second half demolition performance ( has to have been my best ever day as a Waterford supporter.....langer after langer leaving the game with ten mins to go etc etc), the squad/panel not hugely different to me it shows all not well with them either, surely they would have been able to attract a bigger name......??

I would look at it differently in that Cork were well in control until Cahalane needlessly got himself sent off, although it was a hugely enjoyable win!

Kingston left on his own terms I believe, due to work commitments and Sully was seemingly popular with players in a similar way to how Dan was here. So they are essentially adding 2 coaches with huge experience into that management team that saw them reach a semi final.
    They might still be short in the half back line but I do think they have put an excellent management team together here, and possibly have a successor to Kingston there in Mulcahy too. I wouldn’t consider our rumoured management team to be in the same league of Corks or the current Limerick / Tipp ones.
    Not saying it can’t be a success, maybe it will be the making of Browne / Molumphy if they are indeed on the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

I would look at it differently in that Cork were well in control until Cahalane needlessly got himself sent off, although it was a hugely enjoyable win!

Kingston left on his own terms I believe, due to work commitments and Sully was seemingly popular with players in a similar way to how Dan was here. So they are essentially adding 2 coaches with huge experience into that management team that saw them reach a semi final.
    They might still be short in the half back line but I do think they have put an excellent management team together here, and possibly have a successor to Kingston there in Mulcahy too. I wouldn’t consider our rumoured management team to be in the same league of Corks or the current Limerick / Tipp ones.
    Not saying it can’t be a success, maybe it will be the making of Browne / Molumphy if they are indeed on the ticket.

Well in control...??......52 mins gone and only a point up they then lost a fairly average player in cahalane and end up loosing by 11......???

What’s the difference between Kingston returning to the langers and Derek McGrath returning to Waterford......?

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Well in control...??......52 mins gone and only a point up they then lost a fairly average player in cahalane and end up loosing by 11......???

Well a 12 point swing would indicate that his loss was quite significant, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Surely it depends on the role that each person has in a back room team. For example Stephen Molumphy is extremely high up in the army. Clearly he has a very strong skill set to achieve such a role. If those skills are what he's being asked to bring to a role with Waterford then I'd suggest he's an excellent addition, even leaving aside his own hurling experience.

However obviously there are a wide range of bases to cover so he'd need to fit in with the overall management team to ensure this happens. Tipp this year seem a good example of how Sheedy took overall charge but ensured all aspects were covered. We will be at a disadvantage as we don't have their budget but to me someone like Molumphy is a good start.

Surely it depends on the role that each person has in a back room team. For example Stephen Molumphy is extremely high up in the army. Clearly he has a very strong skill set to achieve such a role. If those skills are what he's being asked to bring to a role with Waterford then I'd suggest he's an excellent addition, even leaving aside his own hurling experience.

However obviously there are a wide range of bases to cover so he'd need to fit in with the overall management team to ensure this happens. Tipp this year seem a good example of how Sheedy took overall charge but ensured all aspects were covered. We will be at a disadvantage as we don't have their budget but to me someone like Molumphy is a good start.

Good point, I was thinking of it more from a coaching perspective but it could be that Cahill sees other useful attributes other than just coaching / training. I do think having a few good coaches working together would be useful though while the manager just oversees the training sessions coordinating and interacting with players.

Cahill or whoever gets the job needs to first and foremost stand up to last years squad and say 'it's my way, theres the door if u want'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

This hasn’t what I’ve been told but fair enough, let’s hope it’s the case and he helps us go to the next level.

Feedback for you Lingoweet. A more productive approach next time would be ‘Ive been told xxxx coaching methods are not forward thinking enough, does anyone have any first hand experience’ versus; ‘He’s clueless’. see the difference?

Typical of the negative Ill informed bull**** that we have to endure from many regulars on here

Feedback for you Lingoweet. A more productive approach next time would be ‘Ive been told xxxx coaching methods are not forward thinking enough, does anyone have any first hand experience’ versus; ‘He’s clueless’. see the difference?

Typical of the negative Ill informed bull**** that we have to endure from many regulars on here

Alright my good man, I accepted I was wrong in not elaborating and posting a lazy soundbite, let’s move on. I’m glad you’re so well informed but maybe don’t be so condescending along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Surely it depends on the role that each person has in a back room team. For example Stephen Molumphy is extremely high up in the army

Let's not get carried away with ourselves there, a senior officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

[quote="Road-Hog;111375072"

What’s the difference between Kingston returning to the langers and Derek McGrath returning to Waterford......?[/quote]

Well for a start Kingston didn’t spend every waking minute in the media undermining last years management. Also Kingston only had one year I think before he left for work commitments. So probably feels he has unfinished business. Derek had 5 years. He had his time. Bringing him back would be the ultimate backwards step. If Cahill is the man, we need a clean sweep of backroom staff associated with the Derek era. Change the maor uisces, Hurley carriers etc and put his thumb print on everything.

Can anyone explain the thinking behind one semi final in dungarven and the next one starting an hour after in Walsh park. Do they not want people at them??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Can anyone explain the thinking behind one semi final in dungarven and the next one starting an hour after in Walsh park. Do they not want people at them??

Just trying to decide whether I attempt both, it’s just too tight for comfort and I don’t like rushing. Game 1 should be done by 4pm allowing for injury time but then you’ve to get out and back to your car and hope you don’t get stuck in traffic. You might arrive at Walsh Park by 5pm and get lucky with parking so I think it’s possible but not comfortable. Another half hour would have been nice or just a bit more common sense like having the Walsh Park game yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Even Saturday night lights in Dungarvan would have attracted a great crowd and been great for the atmosphere in the town, weather dependent.

PJR said Dungarvan have a home and away agreement with the City teams and since they played BG in the groups in Walsh Park they are owed the game.

Senior hurling relegation ended in a draw Fourmilewater 1-12- Ballyduff Upper 0-15. Replay date tbc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Ballygunner hacking it home in first semi final

Ballygunner 2-22- Dungarvan 1-13 FT

Any sign of anyone interesting attending the game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

John Gilligan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Jedward

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Clinical performance by Ballygunner today and didn’t really have to come out of second gear. The game was over the minute Hogan hit the net in the first half. Ian Kenny was impressive as was Paudie Mahoney and Billy O Keeffe. They’re going from strength to strength as a club as their intermediate team are in the eastern final along with all their juvenile teams nearly winning their individual county titles. Unfortunately for everyone else in the county they’re going nowhere anytime soon so unless something miraculous happens I can’t see it changing in the distant future. Some of their teams may be beaten at some stage but as a production line coming for the senior team it is rotating at knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

What will happen if they win intermediate

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement