Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,107 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Those international games could be end up being quite good teams with some of the players going to out to play them

Anyway safe travels to them all and hoping they will come back ready for 2019 and a new era in Waterford Hurling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Think it'd be nice for the dual clubs to have a more spaced out schede for once than the overload there normally faced with.

They have the planned to coincide with the start of the club provincial championships. Kilkenny, who only have the hurling champions to run off, were out before the quarters last year and Dickboro still had to play the following weekend in the Leinster club after winning the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Think it'd be nice for the dual clubs to have a more spaced out schede for once than the overload there normally faced with.

They have the planned to coincide with the start of the club provincial championships. Kilkenny, who only have the hurling champions to run off, were out before the quarters last year and Dickboro still had to play the following weekend in the Leinster club after winning the county.
    Championship was put on ice until U21s were knocked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

Interesting that Kildare co board have told Croke Park, that it’s Newbridge (capacity about 8,000) or it’s nowhere for their ‘home’ match this weekend !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Interesting that Kildare co board have told Croke Park, that it’s Newbridge (capacity about 8,000) or it’s nowhere for their ‘home’ match this weekend !

Hope they hold firm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Very interesting to see how it plays out.
    Fully agree with the Kildare stance on it. Will show what could possibly have been done if our county board had taken a firmer stance possibly. The capacity for Newbridge is very similar to Walsh Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

Think about 10 of the panel gone away, club championship back on this weekend it's the clubs that will suffer

Can fully understand the lads going to the US, playing hurling and hopefully earning a few Bob, but just a question (meant innocently, not trying to stir ithings up). Do they have to transfer clubs when they play I'm the U.S. or is a blind eye turned?

DeiseDawg wrote: »
    Can fully understand the lads going to the US, playing hurling and hopefully earning a few Bob, but just a question (meant innocently, not trying to stir ithings up). Do they have to transfer clubs when they play I'm the U.S. or is a blind eye turned?

They get a sanction to play with a club in the US for the summer. 30 days after the sanction is granted they may play for their club in Ireland I believe. All will be eligible for knockout stages of the county championship is my understanding, unless they still have fixtures in the US at that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭914

Interesting to see Kildare's stance regarding their home fixture against Mayo.

If it pays off one would wonder why we didn't take a similair stance for our Munster Champions fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

DiscoStew wrote: »
    They get a sanction to play with a club in the US for the summer. 30 days after the sanction is granted they may play for their club in Ireland I believe. All will be eligible for knockout stages of the county championship is my understanding, unless they still have fixtures in the US at that point.

Thanks for that reply DiscoStew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Should be interesting to see if Kildare hold with this stance. I'm sure the GAA will get them to change their minds or at least try bloody hard.

Hopefully they'll tell them to jump as you can't have a draw with home advantage and then take it off someone. You're breaking your own rules. I bet our county board won't like all the comparisons with their situation over the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Are there any dates/fixtures available for the senior club championship?

Are there any dates/fixtures available for the senior club championship?

Apparently this is the schedule.

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Apparently this is the schedule.

Fairly spread out

Thanks. Games this weekend so. Hope they put up some fixtures soon. Hoping to make good use of my season ticket now the intercounty is out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Gardner

great to see the Kildare CC having some balls in all this. Puts our CC in the spotlight if Kildare win through on this. Paddy Joe not having a good few weeks but have no sympathy for the man whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭redlead

Gardner wrote: »
    great to see the Kildare CC having some balls in all this. Puts our CC in the spotlight if Kildare win through on this.

Was just thinking the same thing. Good to see some county boards have a backbone. Our acceptance of the shambles this year was pathetic. Limerick ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

https://twitter.com/AussieGleeson/status/1011363793719513088

(Removing the brian cody tweet, as it was from a parody account :oops:)

Aussie could get himself on the bad books with our County board for saying that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭redlead

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Aussie could get himself on the bad books with our County board for saying that

That's like saying you've been taken off the teletubbies Christmas card list. I think he'll survive somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

I presume Brian Cody will equally condemn the fact that the second All-Ireland hurling semi-final in July will be played the day after a couple of games in Croke Park. Or is Cody just shooting his mouth off on this issue without thinking like many people?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Powerhouse wrote: »
    I presume Brian Cody will equally condemn the fact that the second All-Ireland hurling semi-final in July will be played the day after a couple of games in Croke Park. Or is Cody just shooting his mouth off on this issue without thinking like many people?

'That's a parody account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

carter10 wrote: »
    'That's a parody account

Fair enough. Jaysus there are some people with far too much time on their hands. Imagine if such people put their time and effort into productive stuff. I did wonder about a man of Cody's vintage being into twitter.

Taken from this weeks Munster express. Sean Power regarding the senior job

'Regarding the vacancy at senior
    level, the All-Ireland Minor and
    Under-21-winning manager stated:
    “We’ll get over tonight and then
    maybe start looking to the future and
    see what’s coming but, and I genu-
    inely mean this, I was 100 per cent
    focused on the job at hand tonight
    because we knew that Cork were very,
    very good and if we came down here
    with anything less than total focus,
    we have been ‘bet’ out the gate…
    and I wouldn’t be doing my players
    in there justice by looking some-
    where into the future when you’ve a
    big game tonight. So that’s all I was
    thinking about for the last couple of
    weeks and I’m now disappointed - I
    probably have enough of hurling now
    for ever until tomorrow when I start
    thinking about it again - but I haven’t
    given it any consideration yet. Names
    get thrown around the place, but we’ll
    wait and see what happens.”

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Taken from this weeks Munster express. Sean Power regarding the senior job

'Regarding the vacancy at senior
    level, the All-Ireland Minor and
    Under-21-winning manager stated:
    “We’ll get over tonight and then
    maybe start looking to the future and
    see what’s coming but, and I genu-
    inely mean this, I was 100 per cent
    focused on the job at hand tonight
    because we knew that Cork were very,
    very good and if we came down here
    with anything less than total focus,
    we have been ‘bet’ out the gate…
    and I wouldn’t be doing my players
    in there justice by looking some-
    where into the future when you’ve a
    big game tonight. So that’s all I was
    thinking about for the last couple of
    weeks and I’m now disappointed - I
    probably have enough of hurling now
    for ever until tomorrow when I start
    thinking about it again - but I haven’t
    given it any consideration yet. Names
    get thrown around the place, but we’ll
    wait and see what happens.”

Confirmed- Dan Shanahan has put his name in as a candidate for the manager’s position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

Absolutely no balls on our county board for not standing up and insisting we either played our home games in Walsh park or at a venue of our choosing!

They have let every Waterford supporter down badly but most of all they have left the players and mentors down with their unbelievable capitulation!

Thanks. Games this weekend so. Hope they put up some fixtures soon. Hoping to make good use of my season ticket now the intercounty is out the window.

Fixtures are on the website I would imagine.

Yeah they’re up, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

reni10 wrote: »
    Absolutely no balls on our county board for not standing up and insisting we either played our home games in Walsh park or at a venue of our choosing!

They have let every Waterford supporter down badly but most of all they have left the players and mentors down with their unbelievable capitulation!
    Really though, what is the Kildare player's state of mind this week? Its all well and good the co board and management 'standing up' to the powers that be but the players who just want to go out and play are caught in the middle.
    Walsh Park was deemed unfit for purpose by  the relevant health and safety authorities. Newbridge was given no such red light, that's the main difference here. So what did you want, the co board to encourage the players to go on strike unless they played the Tipp game in Nowlan Park? If you think your comparing like with like here and that Waterford would have got the same level of sympathy from the public as Kildare you're badly deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

The marvellous effort of the Waterford Under 21s against Cork last Wednesday was all the more commendable given the way the odds were stacked against them. First of all, no less than nine of Cork’s senior hurling panel started the game. Of these, three (Mark Coleman, Darragh Fitzgibbon and Shane Kingston) are regular first team members while Robbie O’Flynn is regularly used as a substitute. By contrast, Waterford had just three, marginal, members of the senior panel on board, of whom two (Conor Prunty and Darragh Lyons) were just returning from long-term injury. This gave Cork an edge in terms of fitness, strength and conditioning which became very obvious in the fourth quarter and ultimately carried them to victory.

Based on what we saw last Wednesday, several more of the Waterford team could well have merited a place on the senior panel. This would not only have given the Under 21s a better chance, but could also have done the same for the seniors. However, with Derek McGrath essentially relying on much the same squad for the last three years, there was little room for new blood on the senior panel.

The contrast between Cork and Waterford in their attitude to the Under 21 level could not have been starker. Last year, John Meyler was both manager of the Cork Under 21 team and a member of the senior management team. This year he became manager of the senior team. There was clear planning here which saw the Under 21s as a development squad for the seniors as part of a strategy to strengthen Cork at senior level into the future. Derek McGrath, by contrast, appeared to regard the Under 21 team as an inconvenience, no more so than in 2016 when there were so many players in both panels.

Despite the difference in fitness and experience levels, Waterford still might well have won last Wednesday’s game. In the first half they shot several bad wides and also passed up on two tap-over points in a vain search for goals. As with the seniors the previous Sunday, these two points could have been crucial at the end.

In the second half Waterford presented Cork with no less than five points through basic errors, even if a couple of these could be attributed to tiredness near the end. Waterford also gifted Cork two pointed frees through needless fouls. On top of that, the referee made a series of iffy decisions which favoured Cork, especially in the first half.

This game confirmed once again Seán Power’s ability to field competitive teams, and clearly he is able to get his charges in the right frame of mind. We have seen too many star-studded under-age Waterford teams in recent times completely failing to turn up on the night. However, there is a lot more to senior intercounty management than this, and aspects of his game management last Wednesday raised serious concerns.

It was not obvious to me why Andrew Casey was substituted in the 42nd minute. Up to then he was easily Waterford’s best player with 12 possessions (three in the second half) and did not appear to be injured. He was carrying most of the weight in midfield, as his partner Michael Mahony (whose selection surprised me) made no impact in this crucial position. He got the first of his three possessions in the 28th minute, and his last play was a tired effort which went directly to a Cork forward and from there over the bar.

It was also difficult to understand the early substitution of Neil Montgomery, who had been one of Waterford’s best players in the first half. Even though he made a couple of errors in the second half, he was still involved in the game, which is more than can be said for most of the other Waterford forwards in the second half. Jack Prendergast got no possessions in the second half, Eddie Meaney got one, while Darragh Lyons and Peter Hogan got two each. While Ian Beecher and Iarlaith Daly both did well when introduced, to my mind they replaced the wrong players.

I would note in passing that, apart from Darragh Lynch, Waterford’s two least effective players, Michael Mahony and Eddie Meaney, were from Ballygunner. Mahony lasted the entire game while Meaney was taken off with a couple of minutes left. Seán Power will have to show better, and stronger, game management than this if he is to progress successfully to senior level.

It might also have been an idea in the closing stages, when Waterford could win no ball in the half forward line and the game was slipping away, to move Billy Nolan to this area (or full forward) where he would have offered a better option for winning incoming high ball. As it was, Nolan further embellished his growing reputation as a goalkeeper with a couple of good saves, good puckouts and distribution, and an ability to nail long-distance frees which is becoming an increasing feature of top intercounty goalkeepers these days. On this kind of form, he would certainly be a rival to Stephen O’Keeffe for the county jersey.

I was impressed by John Curran’s no-nonsense hurling at corner back, and I also thought that Mikey Daykin did well in general play, although it was not a good idea to have him marking the much bigger Declan Dalton for Cork puckouts and long balls out of defence. It would have made more sense to me to use Conor Prunty for this purpose. I thought that Prunty did reasonably well after his long layoff and showed glimpses of his great promise.

Jordan Henley had a big game from start to finish, by which time he was out on his feet. Apart from being goalkeeper in the All-Ireland winning Under 21 team, he had two good years at minor level but didn’t attract the attention of the senior mentors. He had more possessions than any other player on the field with 15 (eight in the first half and seven in the second).

I have already mentioned Andrew Casey who was superb during his relatively short time on the field. In the forwards, the standout performance was from John Paul Lucey. Tall, able to win ball in the air (a major weakness of all Waterford teams) and able to score, he looks like an obvious candidate for senior status. He also impressed against Limerick in last year’s Under 25 championship game.

Darragh Lyons had a terrific first half, but an injury (on top of his lack of game time) seemed to knock the stuffing out of him after half time. It is hard to know where he might figure on the senior team, but he does have something about him. Neil Montgomery also showed good promise. The big disappointment was Jack Prendergast, a player for whom I have great time, but who never got into the game. The fact that he was not named on the original starting fifteen suggests that he may have been carrying an injury and was only deemed fit to play at the last minute.

Overall, then, while it was disappointing to lose a game that might have been won, the big plus to come out of it was the quality of a lot of the Waterford play and players. Under the new incoming management, I would expect up to eight of them to be in contention for places on the senior panel, and some of them for the senior team, in 2019.

Possession count (general play): Billy Nolan (2): John Curran (6); Mikey Daykin (7); Darragh Lynch (0); Conor Prunty (6); Jordan Henley (15); Garry Cullinane (11); Andrew Casey (12); Michael Mahony (3); Darragh Lyons (10); John Paul Lucey (11); Neil Montgomery (8); Eddie Meaney (3); Jack Prendergast (3); Peter

Really though, what is the Kildare player's state of mind this week? Its all well and good the co board and management 'standing up' to the powers that be but the players who just want to go out and play are caught in the middle.
    Walsh Park was deemed unfit for purpose by  the relevant health and safety authorities. Newbridge was given no such red light, that's the main difference here. So what did you want, the co board to encourage the players to go on strike unless they played the Tipp game in Nowlan Park? If you think your comparing like with like here and that Waterford would have got the same level of sympathy from the public as Kildare you're badly deluded.

Health and Safety would have allowed games to be held in Walsh Park for a capacity of 8-10k. It was the county board that gave the red light to Walsh Park.

First excuse was that clubs wouldn't get enough tickets so we were told the clubs rejected games in Walsh Park (even though clubs didn't receive tickets for games)

Next excuse was due to health and safety it could only hold 10k which was deemed not enough capacity.

Next excuse was "The Wall" due to replacing the wall they lost stepping and some of the bank which reduced the capacity to 8k. Although the same amount of stepping and bank is present.

Paddy Joe stressed on WLR "only for the wall issue we could have had games"

Also the fact the wall has been falling down for the past three years and the county board only done something about it after Ophelia.

Why they didn't just hold their hands up and say we dropped the ball on Walsh Park, admit it was their fault, apologies and push on with development rather then making excuse after excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Giveitfong wrote: »
    The marvellous effort of the Waterford Under 21s against Cork last Wednesday was all the more commendable given the way the odds were stacked against them. First of all, no less than nine of Cork’s senior hurling panel started the game. Of these, three (Mark Coleman, Darragh Fitzgibbon and Shane Kingston) are regular first team members while Robbie O’Flynn is regularly used as a substitute. By contrast, Waterford had just three, marginal, members of the senior panel on board, of whom two (Conor Prunty and Darragh Lyons) were just returning from long-term injury. This gave Cork an edge in terms of fitness, strength and conditioning which became very obvious in the fourth quarter and ultimately carried them to victory.

Based on what we saw last Wednesday, several more of the Waterford team could well have merited a place on the senior panel. This would not only have given the Under 21s a better chance, but could also have done the same for the seniors. However, with Derek McGrath essentially relying on much the same squad for the last three years, there was little room for new blood on the senior panel.

The contrast between Cork and Waterford in their attitude to the Under 21 level could not have been starker. Last year, John Meyler was both manager of the Cork Under 21 team and a member of the senior management team. This year he became manager of the senior team. There was clear planning here which saw the Under 21s as a development squad for the seniors as part of a strategy to strengthen Cork at senior level into the future. Derek McGrath, by contrast, appeared to regard the Under 21 team as an inconvenience, no more so than in 2016 when there were so many players in both panels.

Despite the difference in fitness and experience levels, Waterford still might well have won last Wednesday’s game. In the first half they shot several bad wides and also passed up on two tap-over points in a vain search for goals. As with the seniors the previous Sunday, these two points could have been crucial at the end.

In the second half Waterford presented Cork with no less than five points through basic errors, even if a couple of these could be attributed to tiredness near the end. Waterford also gifted Cork two pointed frees through needless fouls. On top of that, the referee made a series of iffy decisions which favoured Cork, especially in the first half.

This game confirmed once again Seán Power’s ability to field competitive teams, and clearly he is able to get his charges in the right frame of mind. We have seen too many star-studded under-age Waterford teams in recent times completely failing to turn up on the night. However, there is a lot more to senior intercounty management than this, and aspects of his game management last Wednesday raised serious concerns.

It was not obvious to me why Andrew Casey was substituted in the 42nd minute. Up to then he was easily Waterford’s best player with 12 possessions (three in the second half) and did not appear to be injured. He was carrying most of the weight in midfield, as his partner Michael Mahony (whose selection surprised me) made no impact in this crucial position. He got the first of his three possessions in the 28th minute, and his last play was a tired effort which went directly to a Cork forward and from there over the bar.

It was also difficult to understand the early substitution of Neil Montgomery, who had been one of Waterford’s best players in the first half. Even though he made a couple of errors in the second half, he was still involved in the game, which is more than can be said for most of the other Waterford forwards in the second half. Jack Prendergast got no possessions in the second half, Eddie Meaney got one, while Darragh Lyons and Peter Hogan got two each. While Ian Beecher and Iarlaith Daly both did well when introduced, to my mind they replaced the wrong players.

I would note in passing that, apart from Darragh Lynch, Waterford’s two least effective players, Michael Mahony and Eddie Meaney, were from Ballygunner. Mahony lasted the entire game while Meaney was taken off with a couple of minutes left. Seán Power will have to show better, and stronger, game management than this if he is to progress successfully to senior level.

It might also have been an idea in the closing stages, when Waterford could win no ball in the half forward line and the game was slipping away, to move Billy Nolan to this area (or full forward) where he would have offered a better option for winning incoming high ball. As it was, Nolan further embellished his growing reputation as a goalkeeper with a couple of good saves, good puckouts and distribution, and an ability to nail long-distance frees which is becoming an increasing feature of top intercounty goalkeepers these days. On this kind of form, he would certainly be a rival to Stephen O’Keeffe for the county jersey.

I was impressed by John Curran’s no-nonsense hurling at corner back, and I also thought that Mikey Daykin did well in general play, although it was not a good idea to have him marking the much bigger Declan Dalton for Cork puckouts and long balls out of defence. It would have made more sense to me to use Conor Prunty for this purpose. I thought that Prunty did reasonably well after his long layoff and showed glimpses of his great promise.

Jordan Henley had a big game from start to finish, by which time he was out on his feet. Apart from being goalkeeper in the All-Ireland winning Under 21 team, he had two good years at minor level but didn’t attract the attention of the senior mentors. He had more possessions than any other player on the field with 15 (eight in the first half and seven in the second).

I have already mentioned Andrew Casey who was superb during his relatively short time on the field. In the forwards, the standout performance was from John Paul Lucey. Tall, able to win ball in the air (a major weakness of all Waterford teams) and able to score, he looks like an obvious candidate for senior status. He also impressed against Limerick in last year’s Under 25 championship game.

Darragh Lyons had a terrific first half, but an injury (on top of his lack of game time) seemed to knock the stuffing out of him after half time. It is hard to know where he might figure on the senior team, but he does have something about him. Neil Montgomery also showed good promise. The big disappointment was Jack Prendergast, a player for whom I have great time, but who never got into the game. The fact that he was not named on the original starting fifteen suggests that he may have been carrying an injury and was only deemed fit to play at the last minute.

Overall, then, while it was disappointing to lose a game that might have been won, the big plus to come out of it was the quality of a lot of the Waterford play and players. Under the new incoming management, I would expect up to eight of them to be in contention for places on the senior panel, and some of them for the senior team, in 2019.

Possession count (general play): Billy Nolan (2): John Curran (6); Mikey Daykin (7); Darragh Lynch (0); Conor Prunty (6); Jordan Henley (15); Garry Cullinane (11); Andrew Casey (12); Michael Mahony (3); Darragh Lyons (10); John Paul Lucey (11); Neil Montgomery (8); Eddie Meaney (3); Jack Prendergast (3); Peter
    Again you are right with your analysis of the game. The Andrew Casey substitution was a huge error as Fitzgibbon was causing a lot of problems around the midfield area for Cork. Jack Prendergast was injured playing against Tipp in a challenge game 2 weeks previously so maybe that would account for his performance.
    Interesting to see if this management team get the nod for the main role as now Padraig Fanning has added his name to the list of candidates looking for the job.

cul beag wrote: »
    Again you are right with your analysis of the game. The Andrew Casey substitution was a huge error as Fitzgibbon was causing a lot of problems around the midfield area for Cork. Jack Prendergast was injured playing against Tipp in a challenge game 2 weeks previously so maybe that would account for his performance.
    Interesting to see if this management team get the nod for the main role as now Padraig Fanning has added his name to the list of candidates looking for the job.
    Where is it confirmed that has he put his name on a list? And who else is on this list?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Whatever about the past, the County Board need to follow Kildare's example (who I am certain were informed by Waterford's woes on the road this year) and say our home games will be in Waterford next year. If Walsh Park is a genuine health & safety problem, as opposed to the bizarre and offensive West Side Story scenario being posited by the Rose of Mooncoin on Newstalk yesterday, then play the games in Fraher. The season ticket numbers from Limerick and Clare will be a lot smaller than from Tipperary and Cork so there should be no issues there. If we are refused, don't play. If we are refused and the County Board give in, there has to be a heave against them.

• Advertisement

deiseach wrote: »
    Whatever about the past, the County Board need to follow Kildare's example (who I am certain were informed by Waterford's woes on the road this year) and say our home games will be in Waterford next year. If Walsh Park is a genuine health & safety problem, as opposed to the bizarre and offensive West Side Story scenario being posited by the Rose of Mooncoin on Newstalk yesterday, then play the games in Fraher. The season ticket numbers from Limerick and Clare will be a lot smaller than from Tipperary and Cork so there should be no issues there. If we are refused, don't play. If we are refused and the County Board give in, there has to be a heave against them.

Anyone know the official capacity of Faher Field? Wiki saying 15k which surely isn't correct.

If 15k is correct then no reason to play away from home.

914 wrote: »
    Anyone know the official capacity of Faher Field? Wiki saying 15k which surely isn't correct.

If 15k is correct then no reason to play away from home.

There was an attendance of 6,635 at the 2009 Munster Under-21 final which, if memory serves, was an all-ticket affair. If that's the upper limit, and it seems a wee bit more likely than 15,000, so be it. Cater for the season ticket holders then sell the rest through the Waterford clubs, thus encouraging people to buy season tickets and/or, you know, join a club. Packed to the rafters rather than rattling around Semple or PUC. Fortress Fraher!

There was an attendance of 6,635 at the 2009 Munster Under-21 final which, if memory serves, was an all-ticket affair. If that's the upper limit, and it seems a wee bit more likely than 15,000, so be it. Cater for the season ticket holders then sell the rest through the Waterford clubs, thus encouraging people to buy season tickets and/or, you know, join a club. Packed to the rafters rather than rattling around Semple or PUC. Fortress Fraher!

Was thinking it would be more like 6-8k so be it I say. Although I fear we will bw on the road till at least 2020

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Game will be played in newbridge. Well done kildare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

Why could our board not just have done exactly the same and stand firm and say it is either Walsh Park or we do NOT play in the Championship at all!

They need to all step down now and the new board need to make sure that we play in Walsh park no matter what next year.
    We also need professional like people to lead the approach on the funding needed from the GAA to upgrade the stadium in a very business like manner and not blaming a wall that was falling down for years on the reason for not being able to play there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

reni10 wrote: »
    Why could our board not just have done exactly the same and stand firm and say it is either Walsh Park or we do NOT play in the Championship at all!

They need to all step down now and the new board need to make sure that we play in Walsh park no matter what next year.
    We also need professional like people to lead the approach on the funding needed from the GAA to upgrade the stadium in a very business like manner and not blaming a wall that was falling down for years on the reason for not being able to play there!
    With the new format in Munster you need 4 dressing rooms (minor match)

Cusack Park has four dressing rooms but they couldn't build a toilet block with a door larger than that of your average living room? Strange sense of priorities. Anyway, it would be easy to put temporary facilities in place in Dungarvan (cue a rule saying 'thou shalt not ask Minors to togeth out in yon Portokabin').

Where is it confirmed that has he put his name on a list? And who else is on this list?

Would fanning be good enough on his own ??

He's part of Davys Wexford management team atm and was with him down here. Wasant he involved with Laois too ??

Would he be the iron fist candidate John Mullane was talking about In his article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

Cusack Park has four dressing rooms but they couldn't build a toilet block with a door larger than that of your average living room? Strange sense of priorities. Anyway, it would be easy to put temporary facilities in place in Dungarvan (cue a rule saying 'thou shalt not ask Minors to togeth out in yon Portokabin').
    Dungarvan has adequate toilet and dressing room facilities to host Munster Hurling fixtures. Capacity I would image would be around 7,000

Dungarvan has adequate toilet and dressing room facilities to host Munster Hurling fixtures. Capacity I would image would be around 7,000

Good to know. We really have to sow the seeds on this now to ensure there are no health & safety 'objections' when the time comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Padraic Fanning...... Please god no.
    Has he ever won anything as a manager apart from maybe managing mount sion when they were so strong even John Deasy could have managed them to win a county title.
    Part of davys setups for years which means more sweepers and defensive hurling. After 10 years of that we need a change not more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 38gitS

Tramore84 wrote: »
    Kildare are after placing the Waterford County Board in a very poor light. Time to stand up for fans and players, and cut out the excuses. We need to play at home in Waterford next year.

I doubt they took any cash but if they did, give it back.

We have the players to win an AI, I am not sure about our County Board.

Can’t see the thought of playing 3 games in Thurles and the other in Cork next year being an enticement for any potential manager either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

Think we're due displacement money.... And that should filter to both the minors and seniors, that had to deal with all the disruption..feck the county board,
    Them poor youngfellas should've had the full support respect to be able to have their home games at home... And the supporters too!

Well done to kildare!

Padraic Fanning...... Please god no.
    Has he ever won anything as a manager apart from maybe managing mount sion when they were so strong even John Deasy could have managed them to win a county title.
    Part of davys setups for years which means more sweepers and defensive hurling. After 10 years of that we need a change not more of the same.
    There is a worrying lack of candidates within the county if he is one of the front runners. For me the only viable candidate within the county so far is Sean Power.
    I like the idea of Paul Flynn aswell. He is very highly rated as a coach and was an absolute genius of a player. But management is a different ball game.
    Of the other names mentioned; Hartley made a b*****x of the u21s a few years ago. Forget about him. Ken McGrath would be romantic choice but truthfully the noises coming out  his time in charge of Mount Sion were not great. Peter Queally only barely missed out on the job when Derek got it a few years ago. Could be in the mix again. As for this Jason Ryan thing, if that names starts cropping up again it says it all.
    Ultimately I believe we will be looking back outside the county for the right man.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement