Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

hardybuck wrote: »
    Is it not a fairly reasonable and relevant question to ask what plans are in place to increase revenue?

Of course it is a relevant question. And a commercial manager is needed asap.
    Saturdayman makes some great points on here and is obviously very knowledgeable but when he is constantly on social media/boards criticizing others rather than going for positions and trying to improve matters that way it all becomes pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Of course it is a relevant question. And a commercial manager is needed asap.
    Saturdayman makes some great points on here and is obviously very knowledgeable but when he is constantly on social media/boards criticizing others rather than going for positions and trying to improve matters that way it all becomes pointless.

Everything after the word knowledgeable in that post applies to you too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Pauric Mahoney senior hurling captain next year.

Good call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Pauric Mahony Captain
    Conor Prunty Vice Captain

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Junior Hurler

Of course it is. But unfortunately we have a lot of amadán‘s on here who haven’t a clue how things operate.

Clearly the way things operate ain’t working as revenue and commercial income is behind our peers. Calling those looking for change names doesn’t really advance the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Pauric Mahony Captain
    Conor Prunty Vice Captain

Is it a bit strange to have a 22/23 year old vice captain who isn't in the squad very long?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Is it a bit strange to have a 22/23 year old vice captain who isn't in the squad very long?

Probably but he was one of the few who led by example last year and since Mahony is older it’s a good balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

Clearly the way things operate ain’t working as revenue and commercial income is behind our peers. Calling those looking for change names doesn’t really advance the situation.

I’m criticizing those having a go at Saturdayman. Don’t know the man. But at least he’s involved at grass root level trying to advance things. Gaultier are all the better with he’s input.
    Agree 100% revenue and commercial income is way behind. I spoke on that here a few weeks back and gave Roscommon as an example what can be done.
    Commercial manager has to happen. We have to many divisions in all aspects of the GAA in Waterford. From board level to fundraising.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

I’m criticizing those having a go at Saturdayman. Don’t know the man. But at least he’s involved at grass root level trying to advance things. Gaultier are all the better with he’s input.
    Agree 100% revenue and commercial income is way behind. I spoke on that here a few weeks back and gave Roscommon as an example what can be done.
    Commercial manager has to happen. We have to many divisions in all aspects of the GAA in Waterford. From board level to fundraising.

I counted about 6 people asked any questions of any relevance the other night.

Too say I’m full of hot air and don’t get anything done is the biggest crock of sihte going too.

Our revenue in 2019 is 15-20% less then in 2016.

The avr hurling county revenue has grown 30-40% in this time

• Advertisement

And to round this off, the guy asked a fairly reasonable question. The Board response was that a Strategic Review Committee has been appointed and they will be looking into the matter. However,the comment from Ryan that 'there's no magic wand for making money or sparing money' seems fairly defensive and unnecessary - although it may have been taken out of context.

Hopefully they've been able to get some individuals on that Committee with commercial acumen and they don't take too long to develop a plan.

Perhaps another Finnegan, Robert, might be someone who could be approached to give that Committee a shot in the arm...

And to round this off, the guy asked a fairly reasonable question. The Board response was that a Strategic Review Committee has been appointed and they will be looking into the matter. However,the comment from Ryan that 'there's no magic wand for making money or sparing money' seems fairly defensive and unnecessary - although it may have been taken out of context.

Hopefully they've been able to get some individuals on that Committee with commercial acumen and they don't take too long to develop a plan.

Perhaps another Finnegan, Robert, might be someone who could be approached to give that Committee a shot in the arm...

Once bitten, twice shy.

Didn’t the chairman say we can not compare ourselves to Wexford?

They are a proper GAA county?

50 clubs and 145k pop

Whereas Waterford have 50 clubs and 130k pop?

And if we aren’t a proper GAA county what was his job and the rest for last 25 years?

I see that JP McManus donated €100,000 in 2018 - anyone know what happened there?

Can't say fairer than anyone with concerns about how things are being run raising them in the appropriate forum i.e. convention or board meetings. Fairplay for doing that, anyone with serious opinions on what needs to change should do likewise.

I see that JP McManus donated €100,000 in 2018 - anyone know what happened there?

Was divided out amongst the clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

He is like the local Sinn Fein councillors. Lots of talk but when it matters runs away and blames everyone else. A real hurler on the ditch.
    Stopitboywillya

• Advertisement

Was divided out amongst the clubs

And given back soon after by way of a levy!

I see some clubs are still paying levies to the board!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭thesultan

And given back soon after by way of a levy!

I see some clubs are still paying levies to the board!

No some clubs never paid theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

I counted about 6 people asked any questions of any relevance the other night.

Too say I’m full of hot air and don’t get anything done is the biggest crock of sihte going too.

Our revenue in 2019 is 15-20% less then in 2016.

The avr hurling county revenue has grown 30-40% in this time

The answer to revenue deficit would be box office. Approx 210k attendence at hurling games in 2016 compared to approx 110k for 2019

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hopefully Pauric and Prunty will be lifting some silverware in there Reigns. A Championship win of any kind should be the main aim for 2020.

Is the New Jersey range in all sports shops or just Azzuri .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

This is his 4th year in the squad and arguably our best player last year as another poster alluded to. If you were looking for leaders from last year they were few and far between.

He might be the on field captain himself of Mahoney is as bad as he was last year he won’t be starting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

So will there be proper county leagues run next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Hopefully Pauric and Prunty will be lifting some silverware in there Reigns. A Championship win of any kind should be the main aim for 2020.

Is the New Jersey range in all sports shops or just Azzuri .

You're aiming as high as ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

garv123 wrote: »
    You're aiming as high as ever

Thats optimistic for auld PTH, usually he'd be setting the bar at avoiding relegation to the Joe McDonagh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Gardner

with the ERSI report maybe DMG was right all along :rolleyes:

SAFEGUARDING AMATEUR ATHLETES: AN
    EXAMINATION OF PLAYER WELFARE AMONG
    SENIOR INTER-COUNTY GAELIC PLAYERS

The executive summary contains all the pertinent findings.

They are very highly educated individuals who in large part choose a career in the educational sector.

The study highlights that inter-county play impacts players’ professional career and
    is another area that warrants further attention.
    Some players are selecting sectors of employment with lower levels of working
    hours,namely those that enter public sector jobs,with ‘education’ being the main
    public sector sub-sector in which players are employed.While this may assist
    players to meet the demands required to play senior inter-county, the research
    revealed that there is a trade-off in terms of earnings.

Whilst studying at third level they have grave difficulty balancing their playing and more importantly educational requirements.

Varying not unsubstantial percentages chose their career path on leaving second-level
    education based on their being able to play inter-county,indicated that they would not select the same post second-level career pathway again,more so among players that selected their post-second-level pathway to enable them to play inter-county.

The study highlighted the fact that although their frequency of alcohol consumption was below the general male population both in pre season and off season this was reversed.

The binge drinking brings into question the vexed question re blanket alcohol bans during the playing season.

3 out of 4 of the cohort examined may engage in what is deemed hazardous drinking which is concern in the context of the consequences of alcohol misuse health and society wise.

Gambling is perceived to be common amongst their peers although illicit drug use is low.

It is alarming that many players are sourcing supplements outside the county set up.They may be neither required nor the correct ones.

Only just over 50% of players indicated that their supplement intake was monitored within the county set up.

It is reassuring that almost all players indicated that they saw anti-doping testing and compliance as
    important to protecting the integrity of gaelic games in spite of manys dissatisfaction with the information provided about anti-doping testing and
    compliance.

Unsurprisingly the study also finds that satisfaction with the way a player’s code (football/hurling)
    is treated by their County Board, in terms of access to pitches,meals,gear,etc.,
    compared to the other code in their county is lower among teams in the lower
    playing levels.This inequality needs to be addressed.

The aspiration of inter county managers for a good balance between their players playing commitments and work/life evidently did not align with the study findings.

Re the issues in relation to the lengthy playing season and travel commitments associated with it Professor Niall Moyna believes collective training could be restricted by up to 40% with little ill effects as one enters in the heat of the championship.He questioned the quality of same.As somebody involved in a successful Dublin set up who he stated train less but train cleverer...

More matches and less training is the plead.It is sad that there appears to be an absence of joy in all such an ultra competitive environment.

In spite of the GPA and increases in advocacy for player welfare there is much room for concern.Players career pathways,earnings potential and promotional prospects must not suffer irrespective of whither they wish to play at inter county level.

There must be a life outside of playing with less likely risky behaviours with shorter playing season.Concerns re burnout and increased risk of injury are the result of excess training and lengthy seasons.

The whole area of supplements IMO is a minefield and player welfare is sacrosanct.Recommendation of supplements by a strength and conditioning coach should be rubber stamped solely by a medical doctor or dietitian/nutritionist.Players should not be taking this decision alone.

Our players at all levels are the association's most precious resource and this excellent study indicates much work needs to be done to optimise player welfare mindful of some of the constraints that are present.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FakeTaxi89

Young males who sacrifice their social life for 10 months of the year, go a bit loose in the couple of months they are able to. Hardly news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

FakeTaxi89 wrote: »
    Young males who sacrifice their social life for 10 months of the year, go a bit loose in the couple of months they are able to. Hardly news.

The article has no context at all, for an example the 3 out of 4 reference to binge drinking, I would hazzard a guess that the same could be said about any cross section of society, what is considered binge drinking in these reports would be considered by most as a few harmless pints. 3 pints is considered as binge drinking for the love of almighty god!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

Anyone get the new shirt yet? I have and I'm wondering if I just have a big head or if the fit around the neck is just really tight haha

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Anyone get the new shirt yet? I have and I'm wondering if I just have a big head or if the fit around the neck is just really tight haha

Very interesting new shirt. The 'Blue Armadillo ' its called. The amour plating effect is interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Pogue eile wrote: »
    The article has no context at all, for an example the 3 out of 4 reference to binge drinking, I would hazzard a guess that the same could be said about any cross section of society, what is considered binge drinking in these reports would be considered by most as a few harmless pints. 3 pints is considered as binge drinking for the love of almighty god!
    Not harmless by the health professionals.With the deeply ingrained drink culture in this country who are we to argue with the recommendations re same?

In excess of 6 units in one sit down is factually binge drinking.The consequences of same are no different for inter county players.

Riskier behaviour,increased cancer risk,impeded hepatic function and a host of social problems and health costs.The list goes on and on.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    Not harmless by the health professionals.With the deeply ingrained drink culture in this country who are we to argue with the recommendations re same?

In excess of 6 units in one sit down is factually binge drinking.The consequences of same are no different for inter county players.

Riskier behaviour,increased cancer risk,impeded hepatic function and a host of social problems and health costs.The list goes on and on.

Agreed. In Ireland we grow up in a society where binge drinking is accepted as part of the norm. I only realized when I moved abroad how much more I drink than locals and I'd be considered a lightweight amongst my peers at home!

I do feel for intercounty players when they are out letting their hair down are immediately under the microscope. Its hypocrisy that the people ridiculing them are in the pubs drinking themselves and do it all year round whereas intercounty players only doing it a select few nights of the year. Its important to realize that intercounty players are not the root cause of this problem and its just a result of society.

Agreed. In Ireland we grow up in a society where binge drinking is accepted as part of the norm. I only realized when I moved abroad how much more I drink than locals and I'd be considered a lightweight amongst my peers at home!

I do feel for intercounty players when they are out letting their hair down are immediately under the microscope. Its hypocrisy that the people ridiculing them are in the pubs drinking themselves and do it all year round whereas intercounty players only doing it a select few nights of the year. Its important to realize that intercounty players are not the root cause of this problem and its just a result of society.

Different for everyone but my god if u you stay off the drink for a big period and then have a blowout it hits you harder and easier

They could seem worse but are not after drinking that much

Tonights result
    Cork 1-27 Kerry 0-11 in our Munster league group

We play Cork next Sunday 29th Dec and then away to Kerry on Sunday 5th Jan 2020

As the year ends another frustrating year for Waterford hurling with very few high points

The high points been getting to the league final in Croke Park, Walsh Park hosting Championship games and the clubs getting to the Munster finals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Got it this morning as a present

Fits lovely and snug.

Happy Christmas one and all, and to all those far away from home especially.

Highlights and lowlights of the year lads?

Not many highs at all. A poor year on the intercounty scene in all grades and codes, lost 3 provincial club titles aswell.

On the plus side, new Co board administration and a positive senior intercounty managerial appointment. Here’s to better fortunes in 2020

Not many highs at all. A poor year on the intercounty scene in all grades and codes, lost 3 provincial club titles aswell.

On the plus side, new Co board administration and a positive senior intercounty managerial appointment. Here’s to better fortunes in 2020

Walsh Park hosting Championship games was a high point

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I thought Waterford had quite a good minor hurling team this year. They were a bit unlucky to lose their first game to Clare by two points. They should have beaten Tipperary in their second game in Thurles, which they lost by a goal. They had one of their best players, Rory Furlong, sent off just before half time but even then they played some excellent hurling in the second half and had the chances to at least get a draw out of the game.

In their third game, again they were unlucky to only draw with Limerick who scored the equalising point from a dubious free with the last puck of the game. Limerick went on to win the Munster championship, beating Clare by two points in the final.

In their last game, Waterford again went close, losing by a goal to Cork in Páirc Uí Chaoimh.

What I liked about the team were a good spirit, some big players who were able to win ball in the air, good skill level and some good combined play. Not for the first time, a Waterford underage team was let down by poor sideline game management, especially sticking with a seventh defender even when playing with the wind and/or chasing the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭upthedeise16

Hearing that both Kieran Power and Neil Montgomery will get a chance to impress from the start against Cork on Sunday in their hometown venue

• Advertisement

Hearing that both Kieran Power and Neil Montgomery will get a chance to impress from the start against Cork on Sunday in their hometown venue

Excited to see what the team will be for the next 2 sundays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

What time is throw in?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭thesultan

Tean is named. Bennett brothers midfield and full forward respectively

thesultan wrote: »
    Tean is named. Bennett brothers midfield and full forward respectively

Full team including subs ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭seananigans

its available to watch on examiner sport on facebook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭upthedeise16

Full team including subs ??

Team and subs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭seananigans

81408626_2799035803495176_625840472341872640_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_oc=AQnhlShBZRGA81BSRRK6Hfhs66Gu3STR2AHUBGverGN1e88K_hQHhCKSEI6MuZgxciU&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=8f7cad6a5907c9f8380f131cc6357dc5&oe=5EB36A5E

81408626_2799035803495176_625840472341872640_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_oc=AQnhlShBZRGA81BSRRK6Hfhs66Gu3STR2AHUBGverGN1e88K_hQHhCKSEI6MuZgxciU&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=8f7cad6a5907c9f8380f131cc6357dc5&oe=5EB36A5E

interesting squad with the Ballygunner players been rested and i imagine they will play Vs Kerry in the new year ??

Kevin Moran starting is a surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

interesting squad with the Ballygunner players been rested and i imagine they will play Vs Kerry in the new year ??

Kevin Moran starting is a surprise
    yeh surprised he's in the panel

yeh surprised he's in the panel

According to the recent interview Cahills style of play is going to be attack from all out field players and not sure a 30 something would be able for that kind of intensity but Moran has showed when hes in top form he can be immense

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement