Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭conor05

PTH2009 wrote: »
    According to the recent interview Cahills style of play is going to be attack from all out field players and not sure a 30 something would be able for that kind of intensity but Moran has showed when hes in top form he can be immense

And absolute savage workrate. All of his under 21/20 Tipp teams worked like absolute dogs. Forwards running back putting in massive hooks and blocks.

It be interesting to see the Cork and Kerry games to see the style of play enforced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

conor05 wrote: »
    And absolute savage workrate. All of his under 21/20 Tipp teams worked like absolute dogs. Forwards running back putting in massive hooks and blocks.

It be interesting to see the Cork and Kerry games to see the style of play enforced.

Also it might ask questiona to our underage coaching systems/methods

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Interesting team and panel. He’s definitely giving lads a chance and probably will try loads more out for Kerry.

Interesting to see Patrick Curran back in focus. Really hope he can deliver and get some form going for us.
    One thing I've noted is that Cahill has not focused on height too much although he has some height in each line bar maybe the full forward line. Great to see Power from Clonea in there as he really impressed any time I saw him this year in the club championship. There are a few lads in there that I'm not familiar with so will be an interesting day out!
    Jake back at midfield is another interesting one, he has the work rate anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Interesting to see Patrick Curran back in focus. Really hope he can deliver and get some form going for us.
    One thing I've noted is that Cahill has not focused on height too much although he has some height in each line bar maybe the full forward line. Great to see Power from Clonea in there as he really impressed any time I saw him this year in the club championship. There are a few lads in there that I'm not familiar with so will be an interesting day out!
    and goal scoring ability
    He was just used and abused under Mc Grath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Darragh Lyons at centre forward is also an interesting one. Another lad with huge potential but could never really nail a position. I hate to keep harping back to the McGrath era but it was pretty much impossible for any forward to break in to a system that used only 5 and sometimes even 4 forwards. At least under Cahill some of these lads will get the chance to show if they are good enough

its available to watch on examiner sport on facebook

Is that 100% confirmed ???

Saw there doing Cork vs Kerry in the McGrath Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Kevin Moran was our best player in the league last year before the whole thing fell apart. How anyone could say he's not worth a place on the panel but champion Patrick Curran is totally flabbergasting. On recent form Patrick isn't one of the top three players in his family. He showed huge potential underage and I hope he comes good but he hasn't shown anything that Kevin has.

On a semi related note Liam Cahill made a comment where he seemed to suggest that Waterford didn't time their fitness peak properly last year. So perhaps the league won't be as high a priority. Tipp last year went through the motions in the league to peak for championship. Waterford tried it in 2018 but injuries possibly prevented any chance that season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Have a real feeling that waterford are going to be enjoyable to watch and are going to cause tipp serious problems in the first game with cahill and bevans take on your man style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Game not on Examiner Sport it appears

• Advertisement

Game not on Examiner Sport it appears

Pity

Possibly the poster who originally said it assumed it would be on cause they done Tipps games vs Clare and Limerick

For everyone who cant make it to the game its will be just reports and word of mouth we will be depending on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭upthedeise16

1-10 to 1-5 down at HT, Paddy Curran with the goal early on after being set up by Billy Power. Cork got a purple patch and hit about 1-4 without reply. Shane McNulty and Prunty good in defense and Darragh Lyons getting on ball around the middle but Waterford have struck some poor wides. The most glaring difference between the 2 sides the quality of ball into the forwards, Cork with low ball into space, Waterford with high hopeful ball on top of their men. Cork with the wind in the 2nd half. Iarlaith Daly off injured with Callum Lyons on just before half-time.

Buff Egan putting up live feed on Snapchat. Cork looking more clinical in attack. Waterford showing good endeavour, a lot of attacking play but not much end product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

2976 attendance is some going

A decent performance overall with the team much better for the 2nd half and would have won only for a series of missed chances, really picked the game away with all the wides. Played better ball into the forwards in the 2nd half.
    Prunty outstanding throughout and Callum Lyons very good when he came on. McNulty and Moran also quite good.
    It was a good workout and a great attendance, great to have the hurling back!

A decent performance overall with the team much better for the 2nd half and would have won only for a series of missed chances, really picked the game away with all the wides. Played better ball into the forwards in the 2nd half.
    Prunty outstanding throughout and Callum Lyons very good when he came on. McNulty and Moran also quite good.
    It was a good workout and a great attendance, great to have the hurling back!

Decent showing from the younger lads with a lot of big names to come back in. Billy Power impressed me out of all the youngsters. Hitting a lot of wides is a good sign that we were creating the chances in the first place. A lot to build on, I think Cahill will be quietly satisfied with what he’s seen

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

Is there still a limit on subs in the Munster League games? Thought there would have been a few more brought on in the second half with a few players starting to cramp up.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Cork 1-17 Waterford 1-13

The key statistic from this game is Waterford’s wide count of 17 against just eight for Cork, two of which came in the closing stages when they already had the game won.

Contrary to the weather forecast which was for a fine, sunny, day, this game was played throughout in poor light which got worse as the game progressed. Otherwise it was a mild day, with the slight wind having no real bearing on the game.

A crowd of 3,000 turned up, an amazing turnout for a game in late December. Obviously the buzz around Liam Cahill’s appointment had a lot to do with this, but there was also a fair sprinkling of Cork supporters around the place.

As might have been expected, there was no real structure to Waterford’s play, especially in the first half, whilst from the off Cork resorted to their familiar and well-practised short passing game. The Cork goalie also routinely found loose players in the midfield area from his puckouts, whereas Waterford had no puckout strategy.

Yet despite the advantages which Cork enjoyed from their superior organisation, Waterford still probably should have won this game, given the numerous scoring opportunities which they passed up.

Cork started the better of the two teams, but Waterford hit the lead in the ninth minute when Patrick Curran took a good pass from Billy Power and finished expertly to the net from close range. After that it was tit for tat for 18 minutes until Cork substitute Tommy O’Connell goaled from close range after Kevin Moran backed into Conor Prunty to create the opening.

Cork then took over for the next eight minutes to go seven points ahead. It could have been worse as they also created two good goal chances, one of which was nipped in the bud by a good intervention by Billy Nolan in the Waterford goal. Waterford did manage two late points to go in at half-time five points down, 1-10 to 1-5.

Waterford took over the game territorially in the third quarter. No doubt this was partly due to whatever words of encouragement were delivered by Liam Cahill in the dressing room, but a further key factor was the introduction of Callum Lyons (in the for the injured Iarlaith Daly just before half time) and Jack Prendergast, who replaced Jack Fagan at half time. Both of these had an immediate impact on proceedings, as did Kieran Power, who had a storming third quarter in the half back line. Patrick Curran also did well in this period.

However, a slew of wides meant that Waterford failed to translate their territorial dominance into scores, the worst being a point black miss by Mikey Kearney (in at half time for Neil Montgomery) after he was put clean through via an excellent passing movement. Waterford were now playing with much greater confidence, putting several good passing phases together.

Cork, on the other hand, kept the scoreboard ticking over with clinical finishing from their few attacks. Waterford did manage to get the deficit down to a single point, but seemed to run out of gas as the game went into added time, during which Cork added three points to give a misleading look to the final scoreline.

Apart from those already mentioned, Conor Prunty had another fine game. He uses his size, strength and long reach to make it almost impossible for his direct opponent to control incoming ball, and he is very good at tidying up and moving the ball out. Shane McNulty also played a lot of ball in defence. Kieran Bennett did a lot of good work in midfield. Unfortunately, neither Neil Montgomery nor Jack Fagan made any impresson, while Stephen Bennett was also out of the game throughout.

Waterford: Billy Nolan; Conor Gleeson; Conor Prunty; Shane McNulty (0-1); Iarlaith Daly; Kieran Power; Kevin Moran (0-1); Kieran Bennett (0-1); Jake Dillon; Neil Montgomery; Darragh Lyons (0-1); Jack Fagan; Billy Power; Stephen Bennett (0-2, 1 free); Patrick Curran (1-6, 5 frees).

Subs: Callum Lyons (0-1) for Iarlaith Daly (32nd minute); Mikey Kearney and Jack Prendergast for Neil Montgomery and Jack Fagan (half-time); Tom Barron for Stephen Bennett (52nd minute); Shane Ryan for Patrick Curran (65th minute).

Cork: Ger Collins; Seán O’Leary-Hayes; Damien Cahalane; Eoghan Murphy; Chris O’Leary; Bill Cooper; Niall O’Leary; Aidan Walsh (0-2); Ryan Walsh; Robbie O’Flynn (0-2); Conor Lehane (0-6, 3 frees, 1 65)’ Seán Twomey; Luke Meade (0-2); Michael O’Halloran (0-1); Jack O’Connor (0-3).

Tommy O’Connell, an early substitute for Seán Twomey (I think) scored 1-1. I didn’t keep tabs on the other Cork subs.

Pity about the result but encouraging from all the reports. Its bound to take a while to get used to the tactics and game plan

Nothing to play for Vs Kerry next week but I imagine it will be a different squad and then it will be cut in time for the league ??

• Advertisement

Same as above. Slow start and the half forward line struggled. Darragh Lyons worked hard but Montgomery and Fagan didn't set the world on fire. Jack Prendergast made a massive impact in the second half and revitalised the team. It was great to see Curran getting scores even though he can do much better I feel. Billy Power as mentioned was excellent, his work rate for a forward is a joy to see and another day he could have had at least 3 points but he did assist a few of our scores including Curran's goal.
    Interesting that Curran started on frees and then Bennett took over and back to Curran although Curran took more of the short range ones. Neither impressed on free taking duties todays. I wasn't too impressed with Power at centre back but he did have a great third quarter in fairness.

Prunty was solid as mentioned but does make mistakes which he seems to have a knack of recovering well from with his reach. McNulty for me is someone very underrated on here, he's a great hurler and leader. Kieren Bennett also worked well at midfield. Kearney even played well when he came on but that goal he missed sums it up for me, just very frustrating as usual.

We did see to have a puck out strategy and that was to hit them all long to test our half forward line. A lot hit at Fagan. It was probablhy half an hour before Billy hit a short one. I'd say Cahill had told him to hit them long as he was trying out new half forwards.
    Another mention for Calum Lyons, he's a class hurler and great to see young lads step up so quickly, not something we've a great record of usually.

Interesting also that they were wearing last years jersey and not the new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Cahill out !!!!

https://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/1912131/

From the sportfiles pics of the game it looks Cahill is a fiery character on the sidelines and not shy about shouting orders

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

County Board must be fair skint ,if they wouldn't turn on the lights

https://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/1912131/

From the sportfiles pics of the game it looks Cahill is a fiery character on the sidelines and not shy about shouting orders

He was vocal enough at times but did a lot of encouraging, not just giving out. Seemed to have a good sideline presence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

KevIRL wrote: »
    2976 attendance is some going
    Not a waterford person myself, just wondering would the game been in dungarvan rather than walsh park help attract a better crowd?

• Advertisement

Not a waterford person myself, just wondering would the game been in dungarvan rather than walsh park help attract a better crowd?

It depends, I think the fact that Cork were in opposition here helped. There was a nice few from Cork aswell and many parts of East Cork wouldn't be any more than half hour drive from Dungarvan, there would be local derby with West Waterford which will always draw an interest from both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

Good analysis!! No mention that we played with 5 forwards in the first half with Darragh Lyons sitting back. Looked more conventional in the second half.

It depends, I think the fact that Cork were in opposition here helped. There was a nice few from Cork aswell and many parts of East Cork wouldn't be any more than half hour drive from Dungarvan, there would be local derby with West Waterford which will always draw an interest from both sides.

There was as many at the game v Clare last January

Happy new year everyone. We’re going to do serious damage in 2020. Up the Déise!!

What’s the latest with Walsh Park? Work going ahead or still on hold pending funding release? Timeline?

• Advertisement

What’s the latest with Walsh Park? Work going ahead or still on hold pending funding release? Timeline?

Think it could happen after the Championship games next summer but awaiting funding confirmation

A new shiny Liam McCarthy would fit in nice there

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

Think it could happen after the Championship games next summer but awaiting funding confirmation

A new shiny Liam McCarthy would fit in nice there

That's the most optimistic thing I've ever seen you say on here! New year. New PTH.

That's the most optimistic thing I've ever seen you say on here! New year. New PTH.

Could it another year of the underdog ???

Peter Wright in the darts
    Liverpool in the premier
    Us in the hurling

Tbh target should be get out of Munster for the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Liverpool in the premier
    Us in the hurling

Prozac is kicking in!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I noticed that Shane Fives and DJ Foran were both togged out at the game in Fraher Field last Sunday, although neither was in the match day squad. It's good to see that both are still involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭tommylad1212

Giveitfong wrote: »
    I noticed that Shane Fives and DJ Foran were both togged out at the game in Fraher Field last Sunday, although neither was in the match day squad. It's good to see that both are still involved.

Both injured

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

When will draws be made for this years championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭razorronan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Liverpool in the premier
    Us in the hurling

Stop boy you will get dizzy with all the positivity

• Advertisement

Any news on the team for sundays game vs Kerry ???

Footballers also in action that day away to Clare

Philip Mahony has announced his retirement tonight

Philip Mahony has retired from intercounty hurling

Big loss and someone who gave it his everything but life comes first. Best of luck to him

Say a lot of lads on here will get their wish and see big changes in the first team this year, for better or worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭big_drive

You’d be wondering on that news. Strange to go when he’s only coming up to 29 and his brother will be captain

A great and unappreciated Waterford legend.
    Mr consistency for ten years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

1. S O'Brien
    2. S fives
    3. C prunty
    4. S McNulty
    5. C Lyons
    6. K power
    7. J Henley
    8. M o Brien
    9. A gleeson
    10. T Barron
    11. D Lyons
    12. N Montgomery
    13. S Ryan
    14. St Bennett
    15. C dunford

Team for Kerry game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Big loss to ye lads, a real unsung hero who has plenty more to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭tommylad1212

A great and unappreciated Waterford legend.
    Mr consistency for ten years.

Hard to believe only played 24 championship games

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Philip was Mr reliable. Always could depend on him to have a good game. Not the fastest on the feet but a good reader of the game and great wrists. Will be a big loss. Surprising as I believe he has just started back teaching in Waterford after teaching in Dublin for a long time. No more long journies to training to and from Dublin. I'd imagine the fun and the hunger must be gone in it for him, but that may come back in the future.

On a different note looking at the panel for the Kerry game it's disappointing to not see some more new names on it. Some lads are still there who have got plenty of chances but unfortunately are just not up to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement