Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tommylad1212

Philip was Mr reliable. Always could depend on him to have a good game. Not the fastest on the feet but a good reader of the game and great wrists. Will be a big loss. Surprising as I believe he has just started back teaching in Waterford after teaching in Dublin for a long time. No more long journies to training to and from Dublin. I'd imagine the fun and the hunger must be gone in it for him, but that may come back in the future.

On a different note looking at the panel for the Kerry game it's disappointing to not see some more new names on it. Some lads are still there who have got plenty of chances but unfortunately are just not up to it.

Like who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

its possible work commitments for Philip that caused him to hang up the boots. We might get an answer sometime down the line. Hopefully he might be just taking a break like Barry Coughlan did and might return for 1 more go

The way the game is gone now more lads are retiring in there late 20's/early 30's. The amount of training and injuries among other factors must really empty the tank and with the dominice of some teams they have to say enoughs enough

It could be a very different Waterford team that we see lining out in Walsh Park vs Tipp in May. Good to see Dessie Hutchinson named on the subs for sundays game. Who is Shaun O Brien from De La Salle on goal ??

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Cahill is cleaning house.

Two of McGrath's former selectors gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Always had good time for Philip, but truth is we haven’t won a Munster championship match in 8 consecutive games since the round robin came in, we can’t keep persisting with the same players over and over, some of these lads simply need to be moved on. Philip will be 29 this year and is mature enough to recognise his time is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

PTH2009 wrote: »
    its possible work commitments for Philip that caused him to hang up the boots. We might get an answer sometime down the line. Hopefully he might be just taking a break like Barry Coughlan did and might return for 1 more go

The way the game is gone now more lads are retiring in there late 20's/early 30's. The amount of training and injuries among other factors must really empty the tank and with the dominice of some teams they have to say enoughs enough

It could be a very different Waterford team that we see lining out in Walsh Park vs Tipp in May. Good to see Dessie Hutchinson named on the subs for sundays game. Who is Shaun O Brien from De La Salle on goal ??

O'Brien was the DLS starting keeper this year and one of their standouts from their campaign. Superb shotshopper. Will be interesting to see how he goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭conor05

Always had good time for Philip, but truth is we haven’t won a Munster championship match in 8 consecutive games since the round robin came in, we can’t keep persisting with the same players over and over, some of these lads simply need to be moved on. Philip will be 29 this year and is mature enough to recognise his time is done.

Have to agree. The last two years have been atrocious.

Time to move on and get in the new blood.

Things got way too comfy under Derek McGrath for a lot of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Interesting team selection for Sunday. I was sure that Cahill was going to put Austin centre back for the year but he's named him midfield and put Power from Dungarvan at centre back for the second game running. Could Cahill have his mind made up on his centre back? The reason for my surprise is that we all know how Aussie has been played in too many positions for Waterford and never given a chance to settle so was expecting him to start where Cahill intends on keeping him. He was outstanding at midfield for Mount Sion this year after he came home from America so maybe that's his best position for Waterford this year.

All too early to read anything into it I know.

One thing I've noted also is how Stephen Bennett played every game for Waterford last year from Munster League, National League through to Munster Championship and continuing into this years Munster League. I'd say he's the only player to have played every game.
    Possibly Cahill is trying to figure out who plays well alongside him as he tried Curran last week and giving Dunford a shot this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 PF28

WTF 🀔🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

its possible work commitments for Philip that caused him to hang up the boots. We might get an answer sometime down the line. Hopefully he might be just taking a break like Barry Coughlan did and might return for 1 more go?

The teacher in DLS College retiring due to work commitments. You’ve had some odd theories before, but that’s the best yet.
    Barry Coughlan hasn’t actually rejoined the panel either.
    I’m getting a little worried for our squad depth now with Philip, Noel & Maurice gone. It’s asking a lot of our younger players to fill these breaches.

If you were to pick a championship team now I think we’d be including a lot of players who have a lot of improvement to make or are at best unproven. Hopefully Cahill & co can develop these players over the next few months.

DiscoStew wrote: »
    The teacher in DLS College retiring due to work commitments. You’ve had some odd theories before, but that’s the best yet.
    Barry Coughlan hasn’t actually rejoined the panel either.
    I’m getting a little worried for our squad depth now with Philip, Noel & Maurice gone. It’s asking a lot of our younger players to fill these breaches.

If you were to pick a championship team now I think we’d be including a lot of players who have a lot of improvement to make or are at best unproven. Hopefully Cahill & co can develop these players over the next few months.

I Didnt knw he was teaching in DLS college

Its going to be an interesting year but clearly Cahill and co have a plan in place and see potential in younger guys. A few wins in the league will be needed to restore confidence

I'd say a lot of the Ballygunner/Ballysaggart lads are feeling a bit down as they would of been playing in All Ireland semi finals this weekend but sadly not to be

• Advertisement

Looking stretched when you consider De Burca is out injured, really hitting us hard now but this appears to be Philip's choice so good luck to him. A blow for Cahil I'm sure.

We still have a decent back line as below (don't slate me, it's just a rough cut :D )

Shane Fives - Prunty - McNulty
    Calum Lyons - Austin - Moran

Conor Gleeson and Coughlan if back would still give experienced options.
    We really need Moran now though! I'll get slated for not adding Conor Gleeson in as a starter but I'm dodgy on him and fear when he gets early yellow cards, he's toast.
    Fives must be pushing on now too so think we need to put Lyons back there and find a new young wing back. That's our hole with De Burca out.

Who am I missing (apart from new untried options) I'm sure we've at lest one or two more esablished defenders I've forgotten?

Maybe Henley, Power, Daly etc will grab their opportunites. We've seen young teams full of confident young players do well with no fear so let's hope that can be us too.

Potentially:
    Lyons - Prunty - McNulty
    Up for Grabs! - Austin - Moran

Looking stretched when you consider De Burca is out injured, really hitting us hard now but this appears to be Philip's choice so good luck to him. A blow for Cahil I'm sure.

We still have a decent back line as below (don't slate me, it's just a rough cut :D )

Shane Fives - Prunty - McNulty
    Calum Lyons - Austin - Moran

Conor Gleeson and Coughlan if back would still give experienced options.
    We really need Moran now though! I'll get slated for not adding Conor Gleeson in as a starter but I'm dodgy on him and fear when he gets early yellow cards, he's toast.
    Fives must be pushing on now too so think we need to put Lyons back there and find a new young wing back. That's our hole with De Burca out.

Who am I missing (apart from new untried options) I'm sure we've at lest one or two more esablished defenders I've forgotten?

Maybe Henley, Power, Daly etc will grab their opportunites. We've seen young teams full of confident young players do well with no fear so let's hope that can be us too.

Potentially:
    Lyons - Prunty - McNulty
    Up for Grabs! - Austin - Moran

Kieran Bennett another option for the backs. Darragh Fives also, if there is no new injuries to report there.
    Darragh Lyons has been used as centre forward so far so would be a big jump to put him in corner back. De Burca should return during the latter stages of the league all going well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Could be way off but as an outsider I get a sense that the for the last couple of years physically Waterford have struggled. Maybe some of the more established players have been coasting along.

I think Cahill will have upped the ante big time in training and that will test commitment levels.

One thing Cahill will do will improve fitness and workrate, that's his mantra.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Could be way off but as an outsider I get a sense that the for the last couple of years physically Waterford have struggled. Maybe some of the more established players have been coasting along.

I think Cahill will have upped the ante big time in training and that will test commitment levels.

One thing Cahill will do will improve fitness and workrate, that's his mantra.

Bang on.Cahill is giving lads enough rope to hang themselves. Weeding out the wheat from the chaff. The likes of Kieran Power will thrive under him, guys who have a bit of bottle. Too many of McGrath's pals were soft and indulged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Kieran Bennett another option for the backs. Darragh Fives also, if there is no new injuries to report there.
    Darragh Lyons has been used as centre forward so far so would be a big jump to put him in corner back. De Burca should return during the latter stages of the league all going well.

De Burca did his cruciate in September. You’re telling me he’ll be back in March? Stop now

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    Bang on.Cahill is giving lads enough rope to hang themselves. Weeding out the wheat from the chaff. The likes of Kieran Power will thrive under him, guys who have a bit of bottle. Too many of McGrath's pals were soft and indulged.

Exactly.

How many of McGraths pals would of survived under Cody or Sheedy. Could you imagine not trying in a match like they did last year.

If nothing else Cahill will weed out all them bluffers.

Alf Tupper wrote: »

Well he’s appointed Pauric M as captain, does he not fall into the ‘McGrath pal’ category? Or are you just spouting bollocks

I’m baffled as to how Derek McGrath’s name is mentioned because Philip Mahony decided to retire from intercounty hurling.

I’m baffled as to how Derek McGrath’s name is mentioned because Philip Mahony decided to retire from intercounty hurling.

Maybe he had a chat with him about it

Maybe he had a chat with him about it

Maybe he did but I meant on here.

• Advertisement

It’s bizzarre the obsession that people still have with McGrath. Even still blaming the shambles of the Pauric Fsnning reign and all that went with it back on McGrath. Philip Mahony was no shrinking violet, as committed as they come, certainly not ‘soft and indulged’ but people trying to imply that he was ousted by a Cahill because he dosent do snowflakes. BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

It’s bizzarre the obsession that people still have with McGrath. Even still blaming the shambles of the Pauric Fsnning reign and all that went with it back on McGrath. Philip Mahony was no shrinking violet, as committed as they come, certainly not ‘soft and indulged’ but people trying to imply that he was ousted by a Cahill because he dosent do snowflakes. BS.

Agreed 100%. What was even worse was to refer to some players as "bluffers". As Philip Mahony and Noel Connors are the only two ex DLS school players no longer involved does that mean that these two players are bluffers? Disgraceful way to speak about the two individuals if so. Although in my view to refer to any player who tries his best and commits his time to the county in such terms is disgraceful.

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    De Burca did his cruciate in September. You’re telling me he’ll be back in March? Stop now

Possibly not March but should be back in action around April. 9 months would be standard recovery from an ACL, obviously without any complications. Might be a stretch to think he will be back to his best for Munster Championship though alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Is match available to stream anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Waterford 0-11 Kerry 1-5 half time. Kerry goal was a pen just before half time.

Footballers leading 2-5 to 1-4 v Clare down in Milton malbay at half time as well

Second half goals for Callum and darragh Lyons, Stephen Bennett and dessie Hutchinson

https://twitter.com/WaterfordGAA/status/1213843031318835200?s=19

Really turning the screw now good to see

4-23 1-10 full time

• Advertisement

KevIRL wrote: »
    4-23 1-10 full time

Good workout but the first half performance wasant up to scratch

How did Power do at centre back and Aussie at midfield?

Good workout but the first half performance wasant up to scratch

You were there so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

PF28 wrote: »
    You were there so?

Guards wouldn't ask ya that

debok wrote: »
    Guards wouldn't ask ya that

Guards couldn't figure out PTH2009.
    Stephen Hawkings might have some chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

You were there so?
    Were you ?

• Advertisement

Were you ?

No

Scorers for Waterford: S Bennett (1-9, 5f, 3 ‘65’s), A Gleeson (0-4, 2f), C Lyons and D Hutchinson (1-1 each), D Lyons (1-0), N Montgomery (0-3), M O’Brien (0-2), K Power, S Ryan and C Dunford (0-1 each)

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/stephen-bennett-stars-as-waterford-romp-to-emphatic-22-point-win-over-kerry-973672.html

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

Scorers for Waterford: S Bennett (1-9, 5f, 3 ‘65’s), A Gleeson (0-4, 2f), C Lyons and D Hutchinson (1-1 each), D Lyons (1-0), N Montgomery (0-3), M O’Brien (0-2), K Power, S Ryan and C Dunford (0-1 each)

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/stephen-bennett-stars-as-waterford-romp-to-emphatic-22-point-win-over-kerry-973672.html

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/liam-cahill-admits-disappointment-at-philip-mahonys-retirement-973708.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Cahill’s take on Philip Mahonys retirement

No

Was anyone? Looking forward to some reports and opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

Was anyone? Looking forward to some reports and opinions.

The same, interesting to see what new players has made sufficient impact to get a start or even just game time in the opening games of the league. Having played both matches, you'd presume Kieran Power and Darragh Lyons will be close to starting while Montgomery has started both matches and must have been better than he was against Cork in hitting 3 points yesterday.

I feel the league has become peripheral since the start of the league format in the Munster championship (although it would of course been nice to win last year and would be nice to win this year!). Managers now seem to use it to blood players ahead of the hectic fixtures of the Munster championship as the quick turnarounds in May/June have meant injuries and fatigue play a bigger part and the panel has become much more important.

I think Cahill will make changes from week to week but it's a tough group and will be good for new players to see game time against the likes of Cork, Limerick, Galway and Tipp and not just all thrown in together against the so called weaker team Westmeath.

Is there any update on injuries? I'm presuming Jamie Barron, Darragh Fives, DJ Foran and obviously TDB are all injured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Important dates for Janurary re the club scene

https://twitter.com/WaterfordGAA/status/1213211531153944577

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Important dates for Janurary re the club scene

https://twitter.com/WaterfordGAA/status/1213211531153944577

If new Championship structures are implemented, how long before clubs have an opportunity to organise themselves accordingly?

The same, interesting to see what new players has made sufficient impact to get a start or even just game time in the opening games of the league. Having played both matches, you'd presume Kieran Power and Darragh Lyons will be close to starting while Montgomery has started both matches and must have been better than he was against Cork in hitting 3 points yesterday.

I feel the league has become peripheral since the start of the league format in the Munster championship (although it would of course been nice to win last year and would be nice to win this year!). Managers now seem to use it to blood players ahead of the hectic fixtures of the Munster championship as the quick turnarounds in May/June have meant injuries and fatigue play a bigger part and the panel has become much more important.

I think Cahill will make changes from week to week but it's a tough group and will be good for new players to see game time against the likes of Cork, Limerick, Galway and Tipp and not just all thrown in together against the so called weaker team Westmeath.

Is there any update on injuries? I'm presuming Jamie Barron, Darragh Fives, DJ Foran and obviously TDB are all injured?

One thing that would be nice for this league campaign is to get a win away to Limerick in the Gaelic grounds. A place which has been a graveyard for us down through the years

I wonder does Cahill regret moving Connors and shanahsn on as quickly as he did, knowing now he’d also lose a guy as experienced as Mahony and to a lesser extent Shane Bennett

I wonder does Cahill regret moving Connors and shanahsn on as quickly as he did, knowing now he’d also lose a guy as experienced as Mahony and to a lesser extent Shane Bennett

I doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Deisefacts

Players not on the hurling panel from last year( be they for what ever reason, injuries, dropped, retirements, etc)
    Noel Connors
    Maurice Shanahan
    Philip Mahony
    Brian O Halloran
    Tommy Ryan
    Brick Walsh
    Tadhg De Burca
    Michael Kiely
    Darragh Fives
    Thomas Connors
    Barry Coughlan?
    Tom Devine
    ( I still feel Barry and Tom would be included on any selection panel and are probably about 27/28

Then you go to the football
    Shane Ahearne
    Jack Mullaney
    Tommy Prendergast
    Stephen Prendergast
    Tadhg Houlihan
    Shane Ryan
    Joe Allen
    Kieran power
    Dessie Hutchinson
    Jj Hutchinson
    Stephen Enright
    Thomas o Gorman

Very hard for a county of our size to sustain these losses over the last few months and expect to compete for an all Ireland in hurling and to try and get out of division 4 in the football.

Deisefacts wrote: »
    Players not on the hurling panel from last year( be they for what ever reason, injuries, dropped, retirements, etc)
    Noel Connors
    Maurice Shanahan
    Philip Mahony
    Brian O Halloran
    Tommy Ryan
    Brick Walsh
    Tadhg De Burca
    Michael Kiely
    Darragh Fives
    Thomas Connors
    Barry Coughlan?
    Tom Devine
    ( I still feel Barry and Tom would be included on any selection panel and are probably about 27/28

Shane Ahearne
    Jack Mullaney
    Tommy Prendergast
    Stephen Prendergast
    Tadhg Houlihan
    Shane Ryan
    Joe Allen
    Kieran power
    Dessie Hutchinson
    Jj Hutchinson
    Stephen Enright
    Thomas o Gorman

Very hard for a county of our size to sustain these losses over the last few months and expect to compete for an all Ireland in hurling and to try and get out of division 4 in the football.

Also Sean Whelan Barrett in the football

Deisefacts wrote: »
    Noel Connors
    Maurice Shanahan
    Philip Mahony
    Brian O Halloran
    Tommy Ryan
    Brick Walsh
    Tadhg De Burca
    Michael Kiely
    Darragh Fives
    Thomas Connors
    Barry Coughlan?
    Tom Devine

Shane Ahearne
    Jack Mullaney
    Tommy Prendergast
    Stephen Prendergast
    Tadhg Houlihan
    Shane Ryan
    Joe Allen
    Kieran power
    Dessie Hutchinson
    Jj Hutchinson
    Stephen Enright
    Thomas o Gorman

Are you sure about Tommy Ryan and Darragh Fives ??

Was Tommy Ryan cut or did he retire?

Was young Michael Kiely from Abbeyside not called up? I’d heard he was? Obviously hasn’t featured in a match day panel yet though.

Are you sure about Tommy Ryan and Darragh Fives ??

Tommy has gone.
    Darragh has been constantly injured since he joined the panel even if he is available( which he hasn’t been in 2 Munster league games or 2 challenge matches) he’ll be injured before year is over

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement