Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Any idea who is in for him?
    didn't hear .but looking at subs bench maybe m Kearney

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Any idea who is in for him?
    didn't hear .but looking at subs bench maybe m Kearney
    ,Either way looks like a tough one , looking forward to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Jack Prendergast I heard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Jack Prendergast I heard

Confirmed. Nice enough crowd here already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Can ye throw up score updates lads? Would be greatly appreciated

Cake Man wrote: »
    Can ye throw up score updates lads? Would be greatly appreciated

Will do, but twitter probably your best bet for score by score. Waterford GAA Twitter and Tomas McCarthy good for regular updates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Aussie is not starting

Strange that he would be even named When everyone knew he came off injured in the Fitz midweek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Great crowd up here

Lots of urgency in our warmup compared to last year

Looks like Stephen Bennett on frees

• Advertisement

Disaster start. Two early cork goals

2-1 to 0-1 now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

KevIRL wrote: »
    Disaster start. Two early cork goals

2-1 to 0-1 now

1-4 TO 2-2 HELL OF A COMEBACK great movement and speed from both teams , great conditions in fairness the bit of cool air has firmed the ground nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Better team now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Sounds like the lads fought back well

my god lads, expected to lose today, after the first 2 goals, I had the game written off, my god what a performance so far ,absolute hunger curran and Jack Fagan playing a stormer

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

Fagan is like a man possessed. I guess he wants to earn a start next day.

• Advertisement

puzl wrote: »
    Fagan is like a man possessed. I guess he wants to earn a start next day.

Can we offer him a key to the city or something ? feel like we really need to claim him .amazing he's been pluggin away for 4 years to see finally what he can do, MOTM please god

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tommylad1212

Can we offer him a key to the city or something ? feel like we really need to claim him .amazing he's been pluggin away for 4 years to see finally what he can do, MOTM please god

Claim him?

Claim him?

as in he's from meath

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tommylad1212

as in he's from meath

Think we all know that , and what ? He will transfer back ? It's not soccer!

Think we all know that , and what ? He will transfer back ? It's not soccer!

I meant (in a sarcastic manner) that we needed to make sure it didnt happen

in fairness he looks to be an absolute starter from now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Thought we played really well, its early doors but a lot of positive signs from the new management. Im sure the wheels will come off again at some stage and bigger questions will be asked but for today I'll take that, a good win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

I meant (in a sarcastic manner) that we needed to make sure it didnt happen

in fairness he looks to be an absolute starter from now

Can't be sarcastic bitter and argumentative is only allowed!!
    Good win nearly ran out of legs but good performance from most fellas in fairness especially after the disaster of s start.

Thought we played really well, its early doors but a lot of positive signs from the new management. Im sure the wheels will come off again at some stage and bigger questions will be asked but for today I'll take that, a good win.

maybe its selective memory, but i can't think of a more important win against cork since the 2010 munster final replay and the 2017 all ireland semi

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

Very positive outing, especially considering the start, again the young lads impressed with Iarlaith Daly outstanding I felt. Shane McNulty, Callum Lyons & Darragh Fives also had fine games at the back and Curran & Kieran Bennett played well upfront, I felt Stephen wasted a lot of ball, some of his shot selection was poor and his frees were inconsistent but he did get 3 fine points from play which is a good return. Dessie will have better days but great to see him in a waterford jersey.
    Seemed to be some system of play, wing backs allowed bomb on and play off the shoulder and run at the opposition. Curran and Bennett seemed to move in and out and weren’t confined to staying inside. Savage work rate throughout was dominant feature I felt and good movement for SoK’s puckouts but his accuracy will have to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

maybe its selective memory, but i can't think of a more important win against cork since the 2010 munster final replay and the 2017 all ireland semi

You could be right in terms of a confidence booster with new players and management. Jack Fagan and K Bennett in the half forward line today are good finds out of the blocks. Impressed with Iarla Daly and Calum Lyons. Cahill is showing already he's not afraid to try new things and there's definitely a new look about things already.

You could be right in terms of a confidence booster with new players and management. Jack Fagan and K Bennett in the half forward line today are good finds out of the blocks. Impressed with Iarla Daly and Calum Lyons. Cahill is showing already he's not afraid to try new things and there's definitely a new look about things already.

we all knew about both of them 4 years ago, i'm delighted they both had their chance, I was hoping jack would get the motm but shane a worthy winner ,his speech really hit home for me,this game was huge, it's only the league but it was huge ,and to come back from a 2 goal deficit like that, the meitheal was on full display

absolutely delighted , typical waterford, when you expect to lose, the ****ers pull a win out of their arse and suck you back in , into believing against your best judgment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Great win but could easily been a draw. Some very good performances. Early days yet with plenty of work still to do

We should beat Westmeath next weekend and then have noting to lose against Limerick, Galway (Home) and Tipp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

we all knew about both of them 4 years ago, i'm delighted they both had their chance, I was hoping jack would get the motm but shane a worthy winner ,his speech really hit home for me,this game was huge, it's only the league but it was huge ,and to come back from a 2 goal deficit like that, the meitheal was on full display

absolutely delighted , typical waterford, when you expect to lose, the ****ers pull a win out of their arse and suck you back in , into believing against your best judgment

It'll be better for your sanity if you calm down a bit. It was an ecouraging performance but it was one league game that we could have thrown away in the end.

It'll be better for your sanity if you calm down a bit. It was an ecouraging performance but it was one league game that we could have thrown away in the end.

i'm not disagreeing with that, but do you disagree with what i said? I was at both those games, im sorry i wasnt there today ,even if we lost that was one hell of a comeback , we went 6 down in 3 minutes
    if we lost by 2 or 3 that was no defeat

i'm not disagreeing with that, but do you disagree with what i said? I was at both those games, im sorry i wasnt there today ,even if we lost that was one hell of a comeback , we went 6 down in 3 minutes
    if we lost by 2 or 3 that was no defeat

It's January.

• Advertisement

It's January.

ok, let me ask this as a direct question , tell me what performance against cork since the semi final in 17 you consider better ? and tell me what you would rate as better than both the 2010 replay and the 2017 final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Gardner

I think seananigans is PTH2009's alter ego. Some tripe he is sprouting.

Decent game. Very encouraging start. Onto next game. Looking forward to possession count Masters review later :D

Gardner wrote: »
    I think seananigans is PTH2009's alter ego. Some tripe he is sprouting.

Decent game. Very encouraging start. Onto next game. Looking forward to possession count Masters review later :D

well ignore my question then, you call tripe but you completely ignore what i said, . i opened a discussion , would you like me to repeat the question ?

ok, let me ask this as a direct question , tell me what performance against cork since the semi final in 17 you consider better ? and tell me what you would rate as better than both the 2010 replay and the 2017 final

I didn't answer your question because it was nonsense.

You didn't ask about a better performance. You said it was important. You compared the 2010 replay and the 2017 semi final in importance to a January league game. Nonsense.

Today's game wasn't important by any metric. It was encouraging. Full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

It's only January but you need to appreciate a good win and that was indeed a very good win. Two early goals in under three minutes would have lost many a game for us and we'd be talking about how we outperformed our opponents from that point on but today we fought very very hard and deservedly won the game.

As a few have mentioned, Iarlaith Daly was outstanding, as were Calum Lyons and the Bennetts. Patrick Curran may have a new life under Liam Cahill and it's great to see him getting those important scores. Prunty, McNulty and Darragh Fives were all solid. Fagan was fantastic in the first half too and really impressed with his work rate.

We have a lot to work on and there are few positions where we're in trouble still.
    Also we need to better use Dessie other than having him on his own at the edge of the square and then not playing any ball into the wings for him to run out to which was probably the plan but just didn't happen. Shane Bennett came to mind at times when I saw him standing isolated. While on the Bennett's, I never knew Kieren was such a fine hurler and Stephen continues to impress with a seriously good run of form and savage work rate.

When Aussie and Barron are back fit, there'll be plenty of competition for places in the middle third.

All in all, a good start by Liam Cahill and praise to him to for quickly integrating some new lads into the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

A positive start to Cahills reign. As always some positives and some negatives.
    Negatives: Stephen O'Keefe again today cost us scores by really poor puck outs a number of them also going straight out over the line. He is costing us points each game and I think his position really needs to be looked at.
    Stephen Bennett got some great scores and was really effective in open play but he is not a reliable free taker from distance. Should have been taken off long range frees earlier.
    Full back line- obviously all over the place early on but also late in the game conceded a poor goal with Fives being very easily rounded and that was after a similar chance was coughed up before that.

Positives: Work rate was very good all over the field and for the full 70.
    Largely remained calm in position and at times worked the ball well into scoring positions.
    The big plus was the performance of some of the debutants, in particular, Iirlaith Daly who really impressed. Fagan was good until he faded in the second half.
    Patrick Curran getting a chance and showing he can deliver on the promise he showed underage.
    Kieran Bennett giving us a badly needed scoring option in the forwards.

Early days yet and I wouldn't be getting carried away but in the past those two early goals would have finished us and it's a very positive sign the team had the ability and workrate to turn that around.
    Hutchinson had a difficult day but it's early days for him as well. With a bit of experience and on drier ground - and with the right ball he could offer us much more.

At the very least we have a number of new players who bring promise and a badly needed boost to lift us from the doom and gloom of the last 2 years.

As others have said, Kieran Bennett, Daly, fagan, McNulty, Curran all very good. Hutchinson will be disappointed, too many of our frees were poor and our puck outs not great again.

Good to get the win, the league counts for absolutely nothing these days as we saw last year. But still, new manager and all that plus good to beat one of the Munster sides that have had the indian sign over us in recent years. Also encouraging to raise a decent score of 1-24.

The end to the first half was mad with play continuing for about a minute while a bout of handbags involving ten-ish players was taking place over near the touchline by the dugouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Patrick Curran was my man of the match, big scores and some awesome turnovers in that second half. Winning ball he'd no right to win, which was great to see as its an area of his game you'd have said needed to improve.

Work ethic was fantastic all round and the big thing to take away. We definitely looked to have a fitness edge so that has to be considered, Cork will be better in June. Also spine of defense had big problems today, those goals were shocking and they could have had a fourth. But an encouraging start and nice to get the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Anyone know how the Dalys ended up playing with CBC in the Harty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

As far I’m aware, CBC have a scholarship system in place to attract hurlers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Parents workIng in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Nice to see Waterford playing some proper hurling today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

Any day you beat Cork is a good day. Cork could and should have equalised near the end, for which we could have no complaints.

Stephen Bennett is a very talented hurler ; as commented earlier, he’s not a reliable free taker but he is a nailed on starter every time in the full forward line. Great to see Curran doing the business ; as the saying goes, class is permanent.

I was interested to observe Cahill on the sideline ; he wasn’t too animated (a la Davy) but was fully absorbed in the play, with occcasional encouragement to the players. He consulted with selectors when necessary but seems like someone who’s happy in his own skin and doesn’t stand on ceremony. Noted that his sidekick (Beavans) was on the case of the full back line after the early goals concession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭farmerval

Any day you beat Cork is a good day. Cork could and should have equalised near the end, for which we could have no complaints.

Stephen Bennett is a very talented hurler ; as commented earlier, he’s not a reliable free taker but he is a nailed on starter every time in the full forward line. Great to see Curran doing the business ; as the saying goes, class is permanent.

I was interested to observe Cahill on the sideline ; he wasn’t too animated (a la Davy) but was fully absorbed in the play, with occcasional encouragement to the players. He consulted with selectors when necessary but seems like someone who’s happy in his own skin and doesn’t stand on ceremony. Noted that his sidekick (Beavans) was on the case of the full back line after the early goals concession.

A quick take on Bevans, last year in the U20 semi final against Wexford Tipp had one of those incredible days, scored 8 (i think) goals. Near the end one of the Tipp corner backs was marginally hesitant closing down a Wexford forward. The minute the ball went up the other end Bevans was out giving the defender a right earfull. Tipp were 12 ponts up at that time and about 3 minutes left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Great win yesterday especially after such a bad start. Curran really impressed me he's a classy player who hasn't caught fire at senior level, hopefully this will be the year. I'm a bit out of the loop Does anyone have a list of the full panel for this season? I know some of the lads that have gone off but would love a full list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

I think it's possible to be both realistic about what yesterday meant - winter hurling, Cork at a different level of preparation, got out of jail at the end - and still be delighted at the result. It's Cork, for crying out loud! If you can't feel a thrill at beating Cork, check your pulse.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

While not getting carried away as it is only first league game and it is only January a couple of observations that give me cause for optimism:

1. Great to see the older heads such as Darragh and Shane Fives, Shane McNulty and Jake Dillon show continued hunger. if only we can keep Darragh Fives fit now. Also great to see Calum Lyons grow with every game into being a real leader

2. Great to see younger lads like Daly, Fagan and Montgomery get a chance. they certainly did not look out of place and while Montogmery struggled at times, he had some good patches and a good score, he is very young and is going to learn an awful lot from yesterday.

3. Great to see Patrick Curran's confidence return and hopefully continue - we all know he is capable of and he can win his own ball -so onward and upwards hopefully.

4. Special word for Dessie Hutchinson huge expectation on this lads shoulders, as opposed to club hurling he is now going to face quality corner backs and better organisation week after week, but i personally have no fear that he will deliver. The couple of decent quality balls he did receive, he looked really dangerous and his take over this shoulder was class - this guy has the hurling, the attitude and a hurling brain, he will learn with every passing game - we just have to be patient.

5. the Bennett's what can I say Stephen was all over the field and always in the thick of it - yeah he missed a couple of frees but he nailed a couple of beauties also, works his socks of and never shirks. Kieran Bennett- have to admit i didn't see scores of that quality coming from him - if he score like that with any sort of consistency he could be a real find in the forwards.

6. Cahill seems to have brought a quite confidence to the team, we should not forget the expectation on this team and management yesterday - they started poorly and conceded two goals inside three minutes but they knuckled down and did not panic against what was a strong Cork side. Cahill also showed his ruthless side, Conor Gleeson was having an off day and he didn't hesitate to take him off -players will have bad days and rather than letting them on the field to suffer, sometimes it is better to take them out early and give them a fresh start next time round.

7. As a team our commitment and very importantly our discipline was first class, everyone took their turn to work hard, forwards turned up in the backline, and backs popped up in the forward lines,aka Lyons run for our goal. But we worked for each other with far more running off the shoulder and we never retreated totally out the field - a couple of times I did feel we gave Cork too much time in possession in their own half and allowed them to build their running game, but generally we did pressurize them.

End of day, would have to be happy with our overall performance,. lots to pick up on and plenty of improvement needed, but a fine start - Most of all I am sure it has sent a message to all our panel sitting on the line, it is a new era and time for everyone to start proving themselves worthy of their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭NaDeise92

Serious work rate from the lads yesterday. Thought we were brilliant of this running off the shoulder, nice to see such sharp stick work at this early stage of the year too. Fagan was phenomenal as was K Bennett - his point taking from distance really surprised me.
    Stevie Bennett shot selection at times was questionable but was decent on frees.

I think the lads fought back well - and that kind of swept over the fact of how vulnerable and terrible we looked in our full back line at times. Cork tried to isolate us and it worked at the start. More teams will zone in on this.
    Prunty was great at bursting out from the back as was Fives. Feeling a lot more optimistic than I was last week, but as many have said - its only January.

But great to see the lads fired up and celebrating a hard fought free or a big score. We missed that passion last year and its time for the lads to be proud & honored to pull that jersey on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Outside of yesterday's panel, who is left to come back into it that could push for starting positions?

Aussie (named but not available)
    Pauric Mahony
    Kevin Moran
    Jamie Barron
    Dj Foran
    De Búrca (probably out for the full year)

What's the story with Michael Kiely from Abbeyside? Is he off the panel through injury or due back?

I wonder how Cahill will mix it up next week? He might give Billy Power or Peter Hogan or Tom Barron a start in the forwards for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

Outside of yesterday's panel, who is left to come back into it that could push for starting positions?

Aussie (named but not available)
    Pauric Mahony
    Kevin Moran
    Jamie Barron
    Dj Foran
    De Búrca (probably out for the full year)

What's the story with Michael Kiely from Abbeyside? Is he off the panel through injury or due back?

I wonder how Cahill will mix it up next week? He might give Billy Power or Peter Hogan or Tom Barron a start in the forwards for example.

Kiely is injured, not sure of a return date or if he's back training, unlikely to feature this year I would think. By all accounts, De Burca is making good progress and could feature come championship especially if we were to advance from the group.
    I think it would make sense to rest Callum Lyons, Jack Prendergast & Tom Barron with WIT and whoever else has Fitzgibbon Cup matches this week for next weekend's matches.
    The real pity of Gleeson getting injured as his best position or even his position to best suit the team mightn't be known as he mightn't get a lot of games in depending on the injury. I'm sure Cahill would have hoped to have played in a position and kept him there.
    Darragh Fives was very good yesterday at centre back but the worry always is with him unfortunately is that another injury is just around the corner. I hope he's stays fit and he could become a key player at number 6.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement