Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

Next 3 games are against the last three All-Ireland winners. Even if we lose all three we should have, at the very least, got a very good measure of where our team is at. We beat Galway in the league semi-final last year, but other than that it's been a while since we've beaten either Limerick or Tipp ( ghost goal aside etc. etc. ) so I expect Waterford to be up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭NaDeise92

puzl wrote: »
    Next 3 games are against the last three All-Ireland winners. Even if we lose all three we should have, at the very least, got a very good measure of where our team is at. We beat Galway in the league semi-final last year, but other than that it's been a while since we've beaten either Limerick or Tipp ( ghost goal aside etc. etc. ) so I expect Waterford to be up for it.

Exactly - I think at the moment out of the 3 teams - Limerick look to be closest to championship level currently.

Personally I really dislike the gaelic grounds, I have never left that place in good humor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

hopefully the weather holds up for Saturdays game

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Jamie Barron and Austin Gleeson both started in the challenge v wexford last weekend so both in line to play some part v limerick this weekend which is really good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Shane fives was sent off harshly in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

thesultan wrote: »
    Shane fives was sent off harshly in the first half.
    Any idea on the score and scorers

NaDeise92 wrote: »
    Exactly - I think at the moment out of the 3 teams - Limerick look to be closest to championship level currently.

Personally I really dislike the gaelic grounds, I have never left that place in good humor.

Jesus a win up there would be massive as it will most likely mean were into the next round and it's that monkey off our backs

Limerick are flying atm and no doubt it's going to a challenge for us

I really don't think the next few games are a monkey on our backs at all. We've nothing to lose apart from the games themselves. They team will set out to win every game and learn from the experience either way. Not making the quarter finals will be disappointing but won't factor in the longer plans for the year. Limerick won the league last year and were beaten in the AI semi finals by a Kilkenny team that didn't even make it to the League knockouts earlier that year. Tipp were beaten by Dublin in the League semis and went on to win the AI. We beat Clare in the League QFs and they went on to beat us in Munster.

I'm not saying I wouldn't be delighted to see them win the league, of course I would, I'm just saying that the league as a predictor of summer form isn't that great and its primary purpose, especially for a new manager, is to get a measure of his panel and find those that fit his vision for how the team go about their business. I want to see a panel hungry for a starting position they have to fight to earn. I want to see pride in the colours and each other, with every member of the panel willing to die on the field for the rest of the team. From that level of commitment, camaraderie and beliefwe can see something great emerge. Skill alone will only get them so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I really don't think the next few games are a monkey on our backs at all. We've nothing to lose apart from the games themselves. They team will set out to win every game and learn from the experience either way. Not making the quarter finals will be disappointing but won't factor in the longer plans for the year. Limerick won the league last year and were beaten in the AI semi finals by a Kilkenny team that didn't even make it to the League knockouts earlier that year. Tipp were beaten by Dublin in the League semis and went on to win the AI. We beat Clare in the League QFs and they went on to beat us in Munster.

I'm not saying I wouldn't be delighted to see them win the league, of course I would, I'm just saying that the league as a predictor of summer form isn't that great and its primary purpose, especially for a new manager, is to get a measure of his panel and find those that fit his vision for how the team go about their business. I want to see a panel hungry for a starting position they have to fight to earn. I want to see pride in the colours and each other, with every member of the panel willing to die on the field for the rest of the team. From that level of commitment, camaraderie and beliefwe can see something great emerge. Skill alone will only get them so far.

I think I'd agree. And to be honest, I'd much rather play teams like Limerick, Galway and Tipperary than play weaker teams. There's a better chance of learning from those games. Last year in Division 2 we were able to coast through a few games and it did us no favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

Any shake up in the championship structures on the local front this year? Any fixtures out yet either, not seen any on social media?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

Any shake up in the championship structures on the local front this year? Any fixtures out yet either, not seen any on social media?

Senior same as last year anyway. 1st hurling championship match is weekend of 28-29th of March and 2nd group game is the week after.
    Football is then the following 2 weekends as well so by the 18th of April, weather permitting, the county board hope to have 2 group games of each played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Senior same as last year anyway. 1st hurling championship match is weekend of 28-29th of March and 2nd group game is the week after.
    Football is then the following 2 weekends as well so by the 18th of April, weather permitting, the county board hope to have 2 group games of each played.

They should split senior into 2 tiers. having likes Ballygunner and Ballysaggart in the same competition makes no sense. Ballygunner and DLS clubs have more playing members than what lives in Ballysaggart.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

They should split senior into 2 tiers. having likes Ballygunner and Ballysaggart in the same competition makes no sense. Ballygunner and DLS clubs have more playing members than what lives in Ballysaggart.

Crazy statement, they’ve won the intermediate they deserve to be senior, the way you’re thinking we would have only have 4 senior teams

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Crazy statement, they’ve won the intermediate they deserve to be senior, the way you’re thinking we would have only have 4 senior teams

I agree with the overall point. There is a bit of a divide in our senior championship. If we are to persist with it with 12 teams I’d like to see 2 groups of 6 but arrange them similar to how is done in Limerick. They place the top 6 teams in Group 1 and the bottom 6 senior teams in Group 2. From what I know of their structure the top 4 teams in group 1 progress. 1st and 2nd possibly into semi finals and teams 3 and 4 are joined by 1 and 2 from group 2.
    Our system as it is currently isn’t necessarily bad but can lead to some mismatches which don’t serve anyone well. I don’t see the county executive going for this as they see it as playing more rounds of group stages, even though this is offset come the knockout rounds.
    Any Limerick poster might fact check this please, it was a senior club player in Limerick who explained this system to me lately.

• Advertisement

No senior round at the end of June this year it would seem. Not sure as to the reason, possibly to do with Waterford potentially being involved in the Tier 2 football championship.

No senior round at the end of June this year it would seem. Not sure as to the reason, possibly to do with Waterford potentially being involved in the Tier 2 football championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

DiscoStew wrote: »
    I agree with the overall point. There is a bit of a divide in our senior championship. If we are to persist with it with 12 teams I’d like to see 2 groups of 6 but arrange them similar to how is done in Limerick. They place the top 6 teams in Group 1 and the bottom 6 senior teams in Group 2. From what I know of their structure the top 4 teams in group 1 progress. 1st and 2nd possibly into semi finals and teams 3 and 4 are joined by 1 and 2 from group 2.
    Our system as it is currently isn’t necessarily bad but can lead to some mismatches which don’t serve anyone well. I don’t see the county executive going for this as they see it as playing more rounds of group stages, even though this is offset come the knockout rounds.
    Any Limerick poster might fact check this please, it was a senior club player in Limerick who explained this system to me lately.

Yes that's exactly how it works here in Limerick to be fair to the board they've got it fairly right we do have some mis matches as we'd have 4 v strong senior sides plus 3 or 4 good sides the other 4 would be average enough but as a guy that goes to a lot of club matches I think its the best system they can come up with, I'm sure plenty would disagree but from what i see its not bad

Yes they did, not taking that away, but there should be senior A and Senior B as in Limerick as the posters above said. Senior B; top 2 go into quarter finals with senior A teams, and promoted to senior A the following year replacing the bottom 2 from senior A - relegated to B

the intermediate winners over the past 10 years generally don't stay up very long. Ive lost track of how many times Ring went up and straight back down, Portlaw, cappoquin, Clonea last year are the exception rather than the rule and Lismore a few years back should never have been relagted in the first place.

The gap is too big, they might compete for a game or 2 but generally take an awful hammering from Ballygunner and the wheels come off

Call it Senior B or Premier Intermediate or whatever, but there is a case for having such a system. Counties that go that route often end up with divisional teams in the Senior Championship What would we have 6 Senior teams, 2 Divisional teams. Each Divisional team made up of the top players from all the intermediate clubs? Such a system has its merits, but not without drawbacks. For example, having to go into Munster after losing your county final to a divisional side is a difficult thing to motivate yourself for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

http://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/308538

Thought it was a weakened team when I read the headline but it’s more about the return of Casey, Byrne’s, Lynch and Gillane

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭willbeuptuesday

Does anyone have a fixture list for Football and hurling (even dates will do), nothing on the Waterford Gaa Website. The Waterford GAA website has to be the poorest in the country, it still has last years results on it. It is not mobile friendly, this needs to updated asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tommylad1212

Does anyone have a fixture list for Football and hurling (even dates will do), nothing on the Waterford Gaa Website. The Waterford GAA website has to be the poorest in the country, it still has last years results on it. It is not mobile friendly, this needs to updated asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Two months between the football round 3 and play offs and if your team goes straight to the quarter finals you've got 10 weeks between matches - absolute farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Anyone care to guess at chances of the match being called off tomorrow due to weather? Forecasts not great for the south and West with storm Denis

hardybuck wrote: »
    Two months between the football round 3 and play offs and if your team goes straight to the quarter finals you've got 10 weeks between matches - absolute farce.

Same as last year, two teams got walkovers last year in their final group game so was longer till they played a knockout

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭NaDeise92

KevIRL wrote: »
    Anyone care to guess at chances of the match being called off tomorrow due to weather? Forecasts not great for the south and West with storm Denis

Looks like its gonna be rough weather for it alright - after a few of the games were played last week in shocking weather - kildare v armagh & tyrone v kerry up in omagh in atrocious conditions - I cant see this game being called off

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭willbeuptuesday

Thanks for that, any league fixtures. Its mid February and no league fixtures its some joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

NaDeise92 wrote: »
    Looks like its gonna be rough weather for it alright - after a few of the games were played last week in shocking weather - kildare v armagh & tyrone v kerry up in omagh in atrocious conditions - I cant see this game being called off

Waterford v Wexford was described as unplayable for the 2nd half down in Dungarvan last Saturday night.

What was the point in moving around the intercounty season if theres still big gaps between county championship rounds

Are they GAA getting lads out to the states/Australia to promote the games after there knocked out of the intercounty in june(some even the middle of may)

Farce

• Advertisement

Soky
    S fives
    Prunty
    McNulty
    C Lyons
    Daly
    Moran
    C gleeson
    Mahony
    Montgomery
    Dillon
    Fagan
    J prendergast
    S Bennett
    Curran

Austin and Barron on bench

Well guys whats the feeling for tomorrow evening firstly hope it goes ahead an awful forecast have been really impressed with some of yer new guys but haven't seen enough of them yet.

For what it's worth and I wouldn't be expecting many to travel from Waterford considering the weather plus it's live on tv but there have been big attendances at our home games so come early if travelling

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

lim4ev wrote: »
    Well guys whats the feeling for tomorrow evening firstly hope it goes ahead an awful forecast have been really impressed with some of yer new guys but haven't seen enough of them yet.

For what it's worth and I wouldn't be expecting many to travel from Waterford considering the weather plus it's live on tv but there have been big attendances at our home games so come early if travelling

A good crowd travelled to Mullingar so I expect we will be well supported if it goes ahead. Should be a good test for the new set up. Looking forward to it

Austin and Barron on bench

Both will prob make appearances I'd say

Definetly up against a Limerick team that look close to championship ready. Happy enough if we only end up with 2 wins in the group as long as there is signs of progress and Cahill is putting his stamp on this panel. Last year we stumbled our way into a league final with no sense of who we were as a team or what the managers philosophy was and it all unravelled in the Munster championship.

A strong competitive performance with more quality game time for the younger players is the aim more so than the result.

Kieran Bennett out for a few months again it seems, bad hamstring injury. No Darragh Fives this weekend, hopefully this is simply a precaution.

Thanks for that, any league fixtures. Its mid February and no league fixtures its some joke.

Football next weekend hurling weekend after

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Can anyone tell me what tv channel is showing this game...?

• Advertisement

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what tv channel is showing this game...?

Eir Sport 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Eir Sport 1

I’m not an eir broadbands or eir sport customer.....is there any way of streaming the game to a lap top or smart tv

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

With that weather out, I'm kinda hoping it's called off. Be fairly impossible to get a covered seat if it's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

Can't see this going ahead it's milling down here in Limerick.

Match surely can't go ahead the rain thats after falling here in Limerick in the last hour is shocking I'd be amazed if it does

• Advertisement

Match surely can't go ahead the rain thats after falling here in Limerick in the last hour is shocking I'd be amazed if it does

Could they move it to UL

Match off tonight. Tomorrow at 2pm provisionally. Pitch inspection 9am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Match off tonight. Tomorrow at 2pm provisionally. Pitch inspection 9am
    common sense prevails

Unlikely to go ahead tomorrow too id say

Unlikely to go ahead tomorrow too id say

I wonder if it's off tomorrow will they play this round next weekend or refix it for after the Tipp game on the 1st March ??

We have Galway home next Sunday 23rd

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement