Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Afaik

Teams in the QFs- Ballygunner, De La Salle and Mount Sion top there groups and Abbeyside go through as best 2nd from Grp A

Passage, Roanmore, Lismore,Dungarvan, Fourmilewater, Tallow, Ballyduff Upper and An Rinn into the Prem round. 4 winners into QFs and 4 losers into relagation zone

Thank you for that. A bit of confusion whether it's mount sion or passage. Wlr announced it's passage in their early sports reports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,107 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

DeiseDawg wrote: »
    Thank you for that. A bit of confusion whether it's mount sion or passage. Wlr announced it's passage in their early sports reports

I'm not 100% sure myself prob best wait for offical announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Passage beat mt sion so ahead on head to head. Abbeyside best second on score diff

Anyone knw when the pictures of the new Walsh Park will be released ???

are we going to play our NHL games in Fraher Field next year, if there building in Walsh Park. Galway and Dublin will be the only games which will attract big crowds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

If its the same process as when Derek McGrath was appointed, a recruitment team was put in in place to interview potential candidates, involving ex-players (I think James Murray & Stephen Frampton to name a couple) amongst a few other respected figures in the county. The recommendation is made by the recruitment team and put forward to the co board who ratifies it. So that way at least the candidates are recommended by people who know and understand the game. But you're right, if its down to the county board I wouldn't like to predict who might be considered...

Would Derek McGrath be a smart choice to have a hand in picking his successor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭Mulbert

Anyone knw when the pictures of the new Walsh Park will be released ???

are we going to play our NHL games in Fraher Field next year, if there building in Walsh Park. Galway and Dublin will be the only games which will attract big crowds

Where else would they play?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

MfMan wrote: »
    If its the same process as when Derek McGrath was appointed, a recruitment team was put in in place to interview potential candidates, involving ex-players (I think James Murray & Stephen Frampton to name a couple) amongst a few other respected figures in the county. The recommendation is made by the recruitment team and put forward to the co board who ratifies it. So that way at least the candidates are recommended by people who know and understand the game. But you're right, if its down to the county board I wouldn't like to predict who might be considered...

Christ NO

Christ NO

Brenden Cummins is now 8/11 to get the managers job ??

Fergal Hartley is 5/1, Sean Power 13/2 and Micheal Ryan 7/1

Cummins experiene is as a goalkeeping coach for the Kerry hurlers ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Wouldn't see any benefit in that. When you step aside that should be it, let it go and move on. Were not talking about Alex Ferguson or Brian Cody here.
    I don't know exactly how many different talk-shows or interviews hes done since he stepped aside 2 weeks ago, and more power to him that's what he wants to be doing. But to come out and say he sees himself coming back in a couple years when the core of the team is 27 or 28 sums it up for me. Its like pretty girl that you don't want anymore but don't want anyone else to have her either.

• Advertisement

If Cummins gets the job , we are ****ing doomed

If Cummins gets the job , we are ****ing doomed

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

New walsh park

IanVW wrote: »
    New walsh park

Looks good for a standard county ground and obv miles better than the ****e up there atm

Is this taken from behind the city end or keanes road ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

Martin Cullen speaking on WLR now. Very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Extremely...

Can't wait to hear it

If something controversial comes out could it make some of the county officials resign ??

Can't wait to hear it

If something controversial comes out could it make some of the county officials resign ??

Considering their comments a few weeks ago then I cannot see their being much confidence left in them...

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭optiplex780

What did Cullen say?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Gardner

will heads roll................... nah! its FF vs FF

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭optiplex780

Pretty damning stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭914

Looks good for a standard county ground and obv miles better than the ****e up there atm

Is this taken from behind the city end or keanes road ?

Keanes Road end

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Happy enough with plans for walsh park. Lets get this done. No point talking about dreams from ten years ago. The wit arena itself went way over budget and time. Never mind a stadium that would be only funded from selling grounds that were not great but usable.

There were visions for tramore racecourse around then as well. Some clubs got caught with celtic tiger plans.

As for now. Visions for future stadium.. concerts? Who name 5 bands that would come to waterford and sell 25000 tickets.. other sports? The world cup rugby lads laughed at the gaa stadia. Just get walsh park up and running. It'll be grand

3ships wrote: »
    Happy enough with plans for walsh park. Lets get this done. No point talking about dreams from ten years ago. The wit arena itself went way over budget and time. Never mind a stadium that would be only funded from selling grounds that were not great but usable.

There were visions for tramore racecourse around then as well. Some clubs got caught with celtic tiger plans.

As for now. Visions for future stadium.. concerts? Who name 5 bands that would come to waterford and sell 25000 tickets.. other sports? The world cup rugby lads laughed at the gaa stadia. Just get walsh park up and running. It'll be grand

Plans look ok from what we can see in the pic. I'd like to see a future plan where the CB would plan to knock the current stand build it steeper for better viewing angles while incorporating dressing rooms, offices etc underneath allow for further terracing at the city end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

914 wrote: »
    Plans look ok from what we can see in the pic. I'd like to see a future plan where the CB would plan to knock the current stand build it steeper for better viewing angles while incorporating dressing rooms, offices etc underneath allow for further terracing at the city end.

What clubs were caught with Celtic Tiger plans?

To answer your question - ed Sheehan would sell it out x5, to add to that, Bruce Springsteen, Liam Gallagher / oasis, u2, Rolling Stones, Gareth Brooke’s, Rihanna, Beyoncé... prob about 7-8 there.

Ah but sure it’s grand, it’ll do....

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Don’t agree that this should just be brushed under the carpet. As a result of these revelations clubs now see the money that they had to provide for different levies due to the incompetence of these eejits and what they have cost us for the past 10 yrs. it simply isn’t good enough. Heads should role when you see it’s the same incompetent fools are steering the ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

From what I've seen, I personally think it's a shocking waste of money. There doesn't seem to be any sense of ambition in the design for the future. It could be a great place for Waterford GAA and the City if done right but it seems more of a quick fix job because it's necessary now. We should be aiming for more than just 'It'll be grand'. There's not a hope that anything major will be done with the place for another 30/40 years after this "upgrade".
    I'd rather we go without a proper home ground for longer if it meant we got something better than this proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Martin Cullen certainly didn’t hold back on WLR but he was quite clearly put up to it and I’d even go as far as to say he was reading off a script.

I also find it hilarious that he, of all people, has the neck to question the honesty and integrity of another person. Cullen is no saint and his ‘return’ from the wilderness was nothing but 30 odd minutes of horn tooting and self righteousness. The man is an asshole of the highest order.

Motivator wrote: »
    Martin Cullen certainly didn’t hold back on WLR but he was quite clearly put up to it and I’d even go as far as to say he was reading off a script.

I also find it hilarious that he, of all people, has the neck to question the honesty and integrity of another person. Cullen is no saint and his ‘return’ from the wilderness was nothing but 30 odd minutes of horn tooting and self righteousness. The man is an asshole of the highest order.
    Its good that the county board are being called out, but Cullen has no credibility either. How much of tax payers money did he blow? Remember those e-voting machines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Its good that the county board are being called out, but Cullen has no credibility either. How much of tax payers money did he blow? Remember those e-voting machines?

Cullen was really on the money when he said 1st class hurlers are being treated like 3rd or 4th class athletes. He has previous experience of it so he knows what he’s talking about.

http://www.indymedia.ie/attachments/aug2008/cullensunind10aug08.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Therustynail

I think Martin Cullen was dead on the money re the GAA in Waterford. The suggestion that he was reading off a script is ludicrous. There is no reason for him to come on air if he didn't believe strongly in it himself. I am no Fianna Fail supporter but I would vote for him the morning. Waterford's lack of a proper voice at cabinet is a big reason why we don't receive a fair share of investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

Enough is enough now!

The county board need to resign right now and all players and fans should boycott the county championship and all Waterford fixtures until they are gone!

It seems only something like this has the potential to make them listen as they seem to be completely oblivious to everything else and seem to think they are doing a great job!

COUNTY BOARD OUT NOW!

reni10 wrote: »
    Enough is enough now!

The county board need to resign right now and all players and fans should boycott the county championship and all Waterford fixtures until they are gone!

It seems only something like this has the potential to make them listen as they seem to be completely oblivious to everything else and seem to think they are doing a great job!

COUNTY BOARD OUT NOW!
    I've noticed the son of a prominent co board member who is a very active on twitter seems to spend his days searching for any tweets or comments that are in anyway directly or indirectly derogatory towards the county board and the Walsh Park proposal and responding and challenging these comments. Hed be aswell off keep is head low instead of trying to justify years of incompetency and mismanagement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

The waste of money would have been €20 million being spent on the venue that was proposed by Martin Cullen. It's all very well being ambitious, but this would have been a folly. Was Martin Cullen going to cough up the money to maintain such a venue, to provide for the stewarding when it was open and the security when it was closed? He seemed to think that the scale of the project was justified by "De La Salle’s All-Ireland win" - that's the college's All-Ireland! Can you imagine going to county finals there? There'd be more atmosphere in a cathedral. While the County Board may have dodged a bullet for bad reasons, it was still a bullet dodged. Let's get on with redeveloping Walsh Park and dispense with this cultural cringe that causes us to envy what others have and instead make something that suits our needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

How come Offaly could have a decent stadium in Tullamore and we could not?

I would not say their county finals and matches are like going to the all Ireland final either but this did not stop them from building it and it sounds like they were offered the same type of deal and they took it and Waterford did not!

This whole idea that the place would be empty for a lot of the county matches is besides the point as this is the case with almost all GAA venues in the country!

deiseach wrote: »
    The waste of money would have been €20 million being spent on the venue that was proposed by Martin Cullen. It's all very well being ambitious, but this would have been a folly. Was Martin Cullen going to cough up the money to maintain such a venue, to provide for the stewarding when it was open and the security when it was closed? He seemed to think that the scale of the project was justified by "De La Salle’s All-Ireland win" - that's the college's All-Ireland! Can you imagine going to county finals there? There'd be more atmosphere in a cathedral. While the County Board may have dodged a bullet for bad reasons, it was still a bullet dodged. Let's get on with redeveloping Walsh Park and dispense with this cultural cringe that causes us to envy what others have and instead make something that suits our needs.

Crowds at club games are so low because Walsh Park is such a horrible place to go to. Its not an occasion, its a torture.

Upkeep would have been paid for by hosting home and away matches. We are talking €500,000 per game there. How much does the county board currently make per game? Oh right yeah, we dont have a stadium that can host our own championship games...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Deiseen wrote: »
    Crowds at club games are so low because Walsh Park is such a horrible place to go to. Its not an occasion, its a torture.

Upkeep would have been paid for by hosting home and away matches. We are talking €500,000 per game there. How much does the county board currently make per game? Oh right yeah, we dont have a stadium that can host our own championship games...

The first part of this is self-evidently ludicrous. Thousands of people are staying away for county finals because Walsh Park is a dump? Please. As for the second part, how many home and away games would we have been able to host in the last decade? Clare don't have a ground capable of having such an arrangement so that just leaves games against Cork, Limerick and Tipperary. If the ground had been built by 2010 (ha!), I think we'd have hosted seven or eight games by now. A €20 million venue for one game a year? Even guaranteed two games a year as we are now, this would have been folly.

It looks like the County Board are not taking this lying down. Should be interesting.

https://mobile.twitter.com/IndoSport/status/1014397388356808704

Motivator wrote: »

If Keane had a bit of balls about him he might have asked him about E-Voting machines in regards to blowing money and then pushed him on does he have any information or if requested would he collaborate with he Billy Kenneally investigation.

I've noticed the son of a prominent co board member who is a very active on twitter seems to spend his days searching for any tweets or comments that are in anyway directly or indirectly derogatory towards the county board and the Walsh Park proposal and responding and challenging these comments. Hed be aswell off keep is head low instead of trying to justify years of incompetency and mismanagement

who is it?

• Advertisement

deiseach wrote: »
    Deiseen wrote: »

The first part of this is self-evidently ludicrous. Thousands of people are staying away for county finals because Walsh Park is a dump? Please. As for the second part, how many home and away games would we have been able to host in the last decade? Clare don't have a ground capable of having such an arrangement so that just leaves games against Cork, Limerick and Tipperary. If the ground had been built by 2010 (ha!), I think we'd have hosted seven or eight games by now. A €20 million venue for one game a year? Even guaranteed two games a year as we are now, this would have been folly.

It looks like the County Board are not taking this lying down. Should be interesting.

https://mobile.twitter.com/IndoSport/status/1014397388356808704

I'm not saying every club game would be a sell out with a better stadium, but if the weather isn't great then would you really want to make the trip to Walsh park to end up with a ****e view and open to the elements with a wet arse?? If the stadium was nice, then people would look forward to going for the ocassion.

Obviously there are other elements but this is definitely one part of the low crowds as there is no ocassion to going there. People hate the place!

As for number of games, What about the qualifiers?

Anyway, with the new structure, they are looking at €660,000 for two sold out games. I think this is the best option for now and maybe with a new stream of money, they might be able to do something really decent in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Even with new structure no way do we sell out a revamped Walsh park twice a year every year. May happen on occasion, but regularly will be a good few thousand short of capacity. We need to start to accept that Waterford hurling fans arent the match going types we like to think they are.

KevIRL wrote: »
    Even with new structure no way do we sell out a revamped Walsh park twice a year every year. May happen on occasion, but regularly will be a good few thousand short of capacity. We need to start to accept that Waterford hurling fans arent the match going types we like to think they are.

Are you telling me that if we were playing tipp or cork at home that we wudnt sell 16500?

Sure when we played tipp in limerick it was around 11,000!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

A match against Clare lift struggle to sell out. The other the counties would sell out no bother though.

We all knew this was the case re Cullen and the stadium, it's not news. It's common knowledge that the problem was that we wanted fraher field done too. And plenty of people were and are happier to see us not have a proper ground than to see the city be the primary gaa ground for the county.

People are looking for heads to role, but he county board did what a lot of the county wanted them to do by effectively blocking this development.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

I really don't like heading to Walsh Park for games if I'm honest, parking is ****e for club games never mind county and there's no craic before or after games cos there's no focal point to head to. Compare it to Thurles, similar ****e parking, but the square is good craic before and after games. Fraher field could be something similar if done right, could even have city lads wander down the greenway to it. I wouldn't have any issue bringing the sprogs there as at least they get a day out instead of a miserable day trudging to a bleak dump of a ground with zero going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

I really don't like heading to Walsh Park for games if I'm honest, parking is ****e for club games never mind county and there's no craic before or after games cos there's no focal point to head to. Compare it to Thurles, similar ****e parking, but the square is good craic before and after games. Fraher field could be something similar if done right, could even have city lads wander down the greenway to it. I wouldn't have any issue bringing the sprogs there as at least they get a day out instead of a miserable day trudging to a bleak dump of a ground with zero going for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

Ropaire wrote: »

In fairness I’ve gone to plenty of games. Free parking in Mount Sion and a bit of banter before and after games. Couldn’t be nicer to you up there.

Regards Walsh Park some prick could object and really mess it up. Amazing to think someone outside the county could do it

Not much talk about the senior manager post. With the way the CB are handling the WP/Cullen situation I'm not too confident they will pick the right man. PJR and Flynn should be kept away from it and a sub committee set up to pick a new management team

Ropaire wrote: »

No focal point. The applemarket is only 1.5km away, a 20minute walk at most. As another poster suggested even head up to mount sion. The sprogs could puck around the pitch or play pool in the club house and you could have yourself a mineral or a pint. Easy parking and short walk.

• Advertisement

Regards Walsh Park some prick could object and really mess it up. Amazing to think someone outside the county could do it

Not much talk about the senior manager post. With the way the CB are handling the WP/Cullen situation I'm not too confident they will pick the right man. PJR and Flynn should be kept away from it and a sub committee set up to pick a new management team

Have heard two official names that are in so far are, John Allen (Cork) and DJ Carey (Kilkenny). Have they not set up a sub committee like they done when selecting Derek McGrath, I thought that was the plan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement