Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Beating Clare, Cork and Kerry in Munster that year was so unprecedented. Unbelievable achievement. Deep down the squad that year probably didn't expect it

Wasant the manager suppose to take over the seniors but never did and John Kiely did ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Stoneage football defeated Cork and Kerry in the Munster championship, I'd take stoneage football that for kind of success anyway!

Reading Liam Ó Lionain's interview and other articles about it recently, the players seem to admit themselves that they didn't do themselves justice on the day and the loss of Ger Hayes at full back was crucial and they also picked up 2 injuries in the game and didn't have the strength in depth.

That Munster success would not have come but for the individual brilliance of Brick Walsh at midfield. Particularly in those Cork/Kerry games. He was head and shoulders above anyone else and bearing in mind that was a Kerry side that had names Like Gooch, Donaghy, Declan O’Sullivan and Brian Sheehan. His roaming runs from half/back midfield and ability to draw a number of opposing players opened up space for Shane Walsh and Billy Harty, 2 forwards capable of beating their man and taking scores from acute angles. And Hayes indeed did a terrific marking job on Cooper that evening. It was far from a vintage Waterford side, only a small number went into make any impact at senior level afterwards. And not an exceptional year in terms of preparation either. The usual get together a few weeks before championship, low turnouts at training and lads bring selected on match day despite barely being with the group before. An Astonishing achievement and one wonders how the Kerry lads were let off the bus when they returned home at all

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

That Munster success would not have come but for the individual brilliance of Brick Walsh at midfield. Particularly in those Cork/Kerry games. He was head and shoulders above anyone else and bearing in mind that was a Kerry side that had names Like Gooch, Donaghy, Declan O’Sullivan and Brian Sheehan. His roaming runs from half/back midfield and ability to draw a number of opposing players opened up space for Shane Walsh and Billy Harty, 2 forwards capable of beating their man and taking scores from acute angles. And Hayes indeed did a terrific marking job on Cooper that evening. It was far from a vintage Waterford side, only a small number went into make any impact at senior level afterwards. And not an exceptional year in terms of preparation either. The usual get together a few weeks before championship, low turnouts at training and lads bring selected on match day despite barely being with the group before. An Astonishing achievement and one wonders how the Kerry lads were let off the bus when they returned home at all

Michael Crotty, Niall Hennessy, Eddie Rockett, John Hurney, Liam O Lionain & Eamon Walsh played senior football for Waterford for years afterwards and as you said Brick was brilliant and is the outstanding footballer in Waterford this century and Shane Walsh would be second or third with Gary Hurney in my opinion but obviously Brick & Shane represented the hurlers at senior level but to get 6 lads to all play senior plus the 2 Walsh’s proves that, in terms of Waterford football teams, they were an exceptional group.

There was also a very strong team at the under 21 grade in 2000 if I remember correctly? I think they again beat both Cork & Kerry but lost to Limerick in the Munster final? They definitely beat Kerry in a replay in the semi-final. Kind of emphasises that Kerry should not have underestimated that 2003 Waterford side.

Michael Crotty, Niall Hennessy, Eddie Rockett, John Hurney, Liam O Lionain & Eamon Walsh played senior football for Waterford for years afterwards and as you said Brick was brilliant and is the outstanding footballer in Waterford this century and Shane Walsh would be second or third with Gary Hurney in my opinion but obviously Brick & Shane represented the hurlers at senior level but to get 6 lads to all play senior plus the 2 Walsh’s proves that, in terms of Waterford football teams, they were an exceptional group.

There was also a very strong team at the under 21 grade in 2000 if I remember correctly? I think they again beat both Cork & Kerry but lost to Limerick in the Munster final? They definitely beat Kerry in a replay in the semi-final. Kind of emphasises that Kerry should not have underestimated that 2003 Waterford side.

Spot on about 00’ beaten by Limerick in Fraher having beaten Cork and Kerry to get there. Backbonesd by a terrific minor team from 98 Which also beat Kerry, included Garry Hurney and Seamus Prendergast. Given the relative ‘golden period’ of underage promise in this period we still did not win a Munster senior championship game again until 2007. And so think have only won one other game in Munster since?

Yeah lost the 2000 final 0-07-0-04 to Limerick. Also got to the final in 2006 but lost to Cork 4-14-1-06

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munster_Under-21_Football_Championship

2007 was a good year for the seniors, we beat a padi o se managed Clare team to set up a home semi final against Kerry in which we were beaten heavily but was great to see the All Ireland champions in Dungarvan. We also beat Carlow in the first round of the Tommy Murphy Cup that year 8-10- 0-07 and then going to lose to Wicklow in the semis

2010 another year in which we beat Clare in the Munster QF but lost to Limerick in the semi final. Going out to Offaly in the qualifiers

2011 we won our first All Ireland qualifier beating London in the Round 2 away (who themselves beat Fermanagh) but losing out in round 3 to Limerick

2018 was the next time we won a senior championship match

We won the All Ireland Junior championship twice with the most recent been 2004 beating Leitrim in a replay. First was 1999 beating Meath in the final

By the time this lockdown is over we should all be knowledgable about our history in both codes lol

• Advertisement

Spot on about 00’ beaten by Limerick in Fraher having beaten Cork and Kerry to get there. Backbonesd by a terrific minor team from 98 Which also beat Kerry, included Garry Hurney and Seamus Prendergast. Given the relative ‘golden period’ of underage promise in this period we still did not win a Munster senior championship game again until 2007. And so think have only won one other game in Munster since?

A large part of problem surely lies at fact,many players wouldnt play for the county,for among other reasons club rivilaries

Stradbally dominated the club scene,and at 1 stage there was only 1 playing county

A large part of problem surely lies at fact,many players wouldnt play for the county,for among other reasons club rivilaries

Stradbally dominated the club scene,and at 1 stage there was only 1 playing county

As far as I’m aware, it wasn’t club rivalry but unhappiness with the county board and management at different stages as well as not wanting to commit to the time necessary to be a county player which is obviously a huge commitment.

One of the the issues with the county board was setting a county final for a Friday night and having to play Nemo Rangers of Cork the next day. The feeing was that the county board didn’t support them in getting the munster council to change and also it was felt it was the county boards fault for not having the championship complete.

Somebody crashed into the wooden fencing in Walsh Park. No injuries

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/05/15/single-vehicle-rtc-causes-damage-to-walsh-park-fence/#.Xr8FkO_TXqt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Gardner

I’ll never back players for disrespecting their manager In that way, weve a long history of it in Waterford. Some of the lads mentioned above have form as they were part of a coupe that ousted Justin later on in their careers so not as if this was a once off. That then set the catalyst for the disgraceful revolt against skully rysn in 2013. And why wouldn’t some lads behave like spoilt brats under Patric Fanning when you look at the example set before them. I would hope we’ve left that culture of blame in the past now and I was happy to see Liam Cahill lay down his marker early

did you only ever lift a hurley to simply bate the dog with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

PTH2009 wrote: »

Pity a few wrecking balls didn’t crash into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭twistables

Any one remember two poems wrote about the 02' and 04' munster final?
    They were played on wlr a couple of days after each match back around that time.

Serious hair on your neck stuff.
    Would love to hear them again.

Anyone have a link or know where I could get a copy?

twistables wrote: »
    Any one remember two poems wrote about the 02' and 04' munster final?
    They were played on wlr a couple of days after each match back around that time.

Serious hair on your neck stuff.
    Would love to hear them again.

Anyone have a link or know where I could get a copy?

I can remember the Richie Hayes song, corny as **** but at the time it could do no wrong

There was a song for 1998 too if i recall, 'Three ships on the shirt' or something like that

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I can remember the Richie Hayes song, corny as **** but at the time it could do no wrong

There was a song for 1998 too if i recall, 'Three ships on the shirt' or something like that

No it wasn't a richie hayes song anyway. Not corney at all. Just poems about both Munster final days.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭deise man

twistables wrote: »
    No it wasn't a richie hayes song anyway. Not corney at all. Just poems about both Munster final days.
    Think they were written by Declan Terry from Old Parish

deise man wrote: »
    Think they were written by Declan Terry from Old Parish

Thanks for that. Any idea where I could get a link for them or purchase a copy?

I remember them, I think one referenced Mary McAleese liking “these Deise boys”.

As a young lad, the 3 Ships song being played on WLR on championship Sunday’s in the car on the way to matches with Kieran O’Connor’s commentary of Paul Flynn Clare goal in 98 thrown in the middle of it was spine tingling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Everytime I hear the song "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey it puts me in foul humour

Reminds me of the homecoming after getting walloped by Kilkenny in 2008 when you could tell the poor players wanted to be anywhere else on earth than there

I remember them, I think one referenced Mary McAleese liking “these Deise boys”.

As a young lad, the 3 Ships song being played on WLR on championship Sunday’s in the car on the way to matches with Kieran O’Connor’s commentary of Paul Flynn Clare goal in 98 thrown in the middle of it was spine tingling.

That's the one. Poetry/commentry of the game. The kids are starting to get involved with teams and would love to play it for them as they start off on gaa journey.

deisedude wrote: »
    Everytime I hear the song "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey it puts me in foul humour

Reminds me of the homecoming after getting walloped by Kilkenny in 2008 when you could tell the poor players wanted to be anywhere else on earth than there

Agree completely. Pure cringeworthy driven by WLR. God knows we have enough battles to fight down here without giving every other county a free hit to look down upon us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

You’ll change your tune the first time it’s played right after the final whistle in Croke Park :D

Seriously though, I felt the same after 2008, but after the 2017 homecoming and Derek McGrath’s speech, I felt we weren’t far off, and when they sent us home with that song, it had taken on a long-lost note of optimism.

• Advertisement

2014 could of been a much different year if we had held on and beat Cork. How Prendergast didnt score near the end was beyond me

We were diabolical in the replay

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

Have lads heard this one? Very hard to understand the lyrics but he certainly got the crowd going!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofkoman5zAY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Have lads heard this one? Very hard to understand the lyrics but he certainly got the crowd going!

Not sure the exact origin but think he got it from United fans singing it before matches and put his own words to it

Ive come across those lads heaps of times at Waterford matches over the years. Always pull that song out of the bag and gets the whole pub going. Top lads, great craic so they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Not sure the exact origin but think he got it from United fans singing it before matches and put his own words to it

We were singing that in Kilcohan 40 years ago.

We were singing that in Kilcohan 40 years ago.

Maybe it's the other way round so!!

https://www.spreaker.com/episode/28058090

Good listen but a little bit all over the place editing wise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

So Ballygunner are training.

thesultan wrote: »

To what degree?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Ya sure it's not the county team that are back training in groups of four. Maybe four lads together from the club doing there county programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Deise boii

Haven't some of their players been meeting on greens in estates over the last while and doing a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭brian2614

Deise boii wrote: »
    Haven't some of their players been meeting on greens in estates over the last while and doing a bit

Yes they have.They were caught training down in Waterpark to until sum one called the guards and they were moved on my guard from a rival hurling club.

They are using greens all around Ballygunner to openly to fitness work.

Regardless if it’s county players or club players it shouldn’t be allowed.

No doubt a few jersey pullers or gunners supporters will disagree.

brian2614 wrote: »
    Yes they have.They were caught training down in Waterpark to until sum one called the guards and they were moved on my guard from a rival hurling club.

I’m in no way linked with Ballygunner but what’s up with lads meeting up outdoors in groups of 4 to exercise and keeping social distance?
    These lads are friends as well as teammates and share a love for hurling and want to keep fit and could even be living with one another. It makes total sense to me to exercise in groups of 4 rather than individually and once it’s in no more than groups of 4 I see no problem.

Balls.ie doing a best 15 over the last 30 years.

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/waterford-15-for-30-434983

My selection:

Stephen O'Keeffe (Ballygunner)

Eoin Murphy (Shamrocks)
    Damien Byrne (Erins Own)
    Noel Connors (Passage)

Tony Browne (Mount Sion)
    Ken McGrath (Mount Sion)
    Kevin Moran (De La Salle)

Jamie Barron (Fourmilewater)
    Austin Gleeson (Mount Sion)

Eoin Kelly (Passage)
    Michael Walsh (Stradbally)
    Pauric Mahoney (Ballygunner)

John Mullane (De La Salle)
    Dan Shanahan (Lismore)
    Paul Flynn (Ballygunner)

honourable mentions:

Clinton Hennessy at No.1
    Tom Feeney at No. 2
    Sean Cullinane at No. 3 (did not displace Damien Byrne out of that position until he retired and probably retired a year or 2 too early)
    Tadhg de Burca & Stephen Frampton at No. 5
    Fergal Hartley at No.6
    Daithi Foran and Brian Greene at No.7
    Seamus Prendergast and Stephen Molumphy at No. 11
    Maurice Shanahan at No.12

Another interesting debate would be players who never fulfilled their potential: Ray Barry and Gary Gater. (played with and against both and unbelievable talents).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

1. S O Keeffe
    2. Eoin Murphy
    3. Sean Cullinane.
    4. N Connors
    5. T Browne
    6. Ken McGrath
    7. F Hartley
    8. Jamie Barron
    9. K Moran
    10. D Shanahan
    11. A Gleeson
    12. M Walsh
    13. J Mullane
    14. E Kelly
    15. P Flynn

You could argue about some of the positions but that's the best 15 imo

• Advertisement

1. S O Keeffe
    2. Eoin Murphy
    3. Fergal Hartley
    4. N Connors
    5. T Browne
    6. Ken McGrath
    7. K Moran
    8. Jamie Barron
    9. M Walsh
    10. D Shanahan
    11. S Prendergast
    12. Pauric Mahony
    13. J Mullane
    14. E Kelly
    15. P Flynn

Unlucky to miss out: Maurice and Aussie both brilliant on their day but blow too hot and cold. Stephen Molumphy was brilliant at midfield for a while. Cullinane left out of my team purely because I don't really remember him playing

1. S O Keeffe
    2. Eoin Murphy
    3. Fergal Hartley
    4. N Connors
    5. T Browne
    6. Ken McGrath
    7. K Moran
    8. Jamie Barron
    9. M Walsh
    10. D Shanahan
    11. S Prendergast
    12. Pauric Mahony
    13. J Mullane
    14. E Kelly
    15. P Flynn

Unlucky to miss out: Maurice and Aussie both brilliant on their day but blow too hot and cold. Stephen Molumphy was brilliant at midfield for a while. Cullinane left out of my team purely because I don't really remember him playing

Hartley only played Fullback for one season. Came back out of retirement in 05 after missing 04 for the purpose of plugging the hole at fullback and it didn’t really work out. Cullinane was rated as one of the best full backs in the game over the course of 7/8 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

So because you play hurling , your not allowed to exercise at all when the gaa is postponed is that what you mean. Surely people can exercise if they want to as long as their within the guidelines.
    I saw 4 young lads walking in Erin's own tops today up the folly is that allowed. They were walking at a brisk pace

Hartley only played Fullback for one season. Came back out of retirement in 05 after missing 04 for the purpose of plugging the hole at fullback and it didn’t really work out. Cullinane was rated as one of the best full backs in the game over the course of 7/8 years

He only played full back for 5 years. 97 to 2001. Ok vs Limerick in 97 (game is on YouTube).
    Good year in 98,
    Did well vs Limerick and Brian Corcoran roasted him in 99.
    Paul Shelly did a Corcoran on him in 2000 but was injured going into the game.
    Brian Begley took him to the cleaners in 2001 in his final game. Huge perception of Waterford fans think he was an all time great but in fact he wasn't but Sean was a decent hurler. When I think of it Tom Feeney was probably a more solid full back from 02 onwards than Sean in the previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Gardner wrote: »
    He only played full back for 5 years. 97 to 2001. Ok vs Limerick in 97 (game is on YouTube).
    Good year in 98,
    Brian Begley took him to the cleaners in 2001 in his final game. Huge perception of Waterford fans think he was an all time great but in fact he wasn't but Sean was a decent hurler. When I think of it Tom Feeney was probably a more solid full back from 02 onwards than Sean in the previous years.

Brian Corcoran was playing centre back in 1999.

• Advertisement

Good year in 98,

Cullinane was only really appreciated after he retired, as for years there was no one in the county that could perform the role aswell as he did. He was nominated for an All-Star in 98 but in an era of Lohan, Kinahan and Pat O’Neill there was no shame in not winning one. He was consistent in the position over a number of years, you can’t say that about anyone since. nicknamed the original ‘rock’ before Diarm O’Sullivan was ever on the scene.

Cullinane was only really appreciated after he retired, as for years there was no one in the county that could perform the role aswell as he did. He was nominated for an All-Star in 98 but in an era of Lohan, Kinahan and Pat O’Neill there was no shame in not winning one. He was consistent in the position over a number of years, you can’t say that about anyone since. nicknamed the original ‘rock’ before Diarm O’Sullivan was ever on the scene.

You're basing your opinion on after he was gone and perception he was appreciated. I actually think Tom Feeney was more solid in that position in 2002 after Cullinane retired. He was 35 in 2001 and was well past it and it showed in 2000 and 2001 against Limerick and Tipperary respectively. He probably should have gone after 99 to leave Feeney go into full back. I acknowledged his performances in 98 which resulted in an all-star nomination. Having a nickname means nothing, that nickname was from his childhood. its didn't just occur on the terraces in 98.
    Also other posters putting Hartley in full back position is nonsense. He played 1 year there and it didn’t work. I selected a player who played over 10 years in that position and kept Cullinane at corner back from 1989 to 1996. Tony Mansfield was quoted in regards to Byrne “easily the most committed and faithful servant of Waterford hurling that I came into contact with in those years.”

You're basing your opinion on after he was gone and perception he was appreciated. I actually think Tom Feeney was more solid in that position in 2002 after Cullinane retired. He was 35 in 2001 and was well past it and it showed in 2000 and 2001 against Limerick and Tipperary respectively. He probably should have gone after 99 to leave Feeney go into full back. I acknowledged his performances in 98 which resulted in an all-star nomination. Having a nickname means nothing, that nickname was from his childhood. its didn't just occur on the terraces in 98.
    Also other posters putting Hartley in full back position is nonsense. He played 1 year there and it didn’t work. I selected a player who played over 10 years in that position and kept Cullinane at corner back from 1989 to 1996. Tony Mansfield was quoted in regards to Byrne “easily the most committed and faithful servant of Waterford hurling that I came into contact with in those years.”

Ive only seen highlights of Byrne and would be too young to remember him but would he have made the Waterford teams from 98 to the present day ahead of Cullinane, Feeney, Prendergast Lawlor, Coughlan, Prunty etc?
    It has to put into perspective that he was playing on a poor team that weren’t very competitive in terms of winning Munster other than a few shock victories. Was he at the level of the players around him or was he just unlucky to be playing with Waterford at a time when the players around him weren’t at the required level?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Ive only seen highlights of Byrne and would be too young to remember him but would he have made the Waterford teams from 98 to the present day ahead of Cullinane, Feeney, Prendergast Lawlor, Coughlan, Prunty etc?
    It has to put into perspective that he was playing on a poor team that weren’t very competitive in terms of winning Munster other than a few shock victories. Was he at the level of the players around him or was he just unlucky to be playing with Waterford at a time when the players around him weren’t at the required level?

Damien Byrne is one of my favourite waterford hurlers of the last number of years. Started his career at centre forward and if I remember correctly had a great game there against Limerick in his first championship match. Waterford were well beaten but Byrne stood out. In his 3rd year he was moved to full back. I dont remember him being better or worse than Cullinane or Feeney or anyone else for that matter, Gardner makes the point that Cullinane was 'taken to the cleaners' a few times- well Byrne was destroyed by Nicky English in the 88 League semi final in Croke park- scored 2-8 off him. There were other games where he didn't cover himself in glory either- the 89 Munster final is one that comes to mind.
    That being said he was a totally committed hurler on a team that was not as bad as people remember them. Waterford were coming from a very low base- division 3 hurling and Byrne along with Shane Aherne, Jimmy Beresford, Daithi Foran, Billy O'Sullivan, Kieran Delahunty and several others helped Waterford take the first steps out of the abyss they were then in. They laid the foundation for what was to follow. People forget this was the time of no second chances Cork and Limerick were strong and Tipp were on the cusp of ending their famine with a really talented team. Saw Damien Byrne in the crowd up in Mullingar in the recent league game aainst Westmeath- still committed.

carter10 wrote: »
    Damien Byrne is one of my favourite waterford hurlers of the last number of years. Started his career at centre forward and if I remember correctly had a great game there against Limerick in his first championship match. Waterford were well beaten but Byrne stood out. In his 3rd year he was moved to full back. I dont remember him being better or worse than Cullinane or Feeney or anyone else for that matter, Gardner makes the point that Cullinane was 'taken to the cleaners' a few times- well Byrne was destroyed by Nicky English in the 88 League semi final in Croke park- scored 2-8 off him. There were other games where he didn't cover himself in glory either- the 89 Munster final is one that comes to mind.
    That being said he was a totally committed hurler on a team that was not as bad as people remember them. Waterford were coming from a very low base- division 3 hurling and Byrne along with Shane Aherne, Jimmy Beresford, Daithi Foran, Billy O'Sullivan, Kieran Delahunty and several others helped Waterford take the first steps out of the abyss they were then in. They laid the foundation for what was to follow. People forget this was the time of no second chances Cork and Limerick were strong and Tipp were on the cusp of ending their famine with a really talented team. Saw Damien Byrne in the crowd up in Mullingar in the recent league game aainst Westmeath- still committed.

the 89 Munster Final he was sent off incorrectly, i believe it was Pat Ryan who struck the player off the ball.
    in all honesty, i do think Prunty has the beatings of all of them if we were discussing this in 3/4 years time.

I take your points regarding Cullinane and Hartley.

I don't really remember Cullinane and I probably shoehorned Hartley in out of his natural position to fit him in

No Im basing my opinion on his performances for Waterford in those years, a fine fullback and my point is that it was only after he was gone we realized what we had. In 01 I agree he was over the hill as a young Begley got in behind him for 2 goals in that horror show when we were 11 points up. But that's not the performance that should define him. Hindsight is a great thing, can you tell me about his league performances in 01 in the lead up to it? Were you calling for Feeney to be included then? Feeney slotted in there in 02 but if memory serves me right he was out of there again by 03, wasn't aggressive enough. After that I can think of Alan Kirwan, Declan Prendergast, Fergal Hartley, Feeney again, Prendergast again, Ken McGrath, Ringo Kearney, Wayne Hutchison, Liam Lawlor, Brick Walsh, Jerome Maher, Shane Fives, Lawlor again, Barry Coughlan, Conor Prunty all at fullback in championship since then, and Im sure theres more than that. You can knock him all you want but we haven't had anyone as good and consistent as Sean Cullinane.
    Damient Byrne was before my time, when I started following he was slow nd passed it, I never saw him in his hayday. So its Cullinane for me all day

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

the 89 Munster Final he was sent off incorrectly, i believe it was Pat Ryan who struck the player off the ball.
    in all honesty, i do think Prunty has the beatings of all of them if we were discussing this in 3/4 years time.

I think both had a cut off English out around the corner flag- either could have gone. Not a proud day for Waterford hurling. Agree with you re Prunty

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭brian2614

debok wrote: »
    So because you play hurling , your not allowed to exercise at all when the gaa is postponed is that what you mean. Surely people can exercise if they want to as long as their within the guidelines.
    I saw 4 young lads walking in Erin's own tops today up the folly is that allowed. They were walking at a brisk pace

Which are you the jersey puller or the diehard supporter???

Which are you the jersey puller or the diehard supporter???

Are they training in 4s or a greater number?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement