Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Jesus wept. Not a clue between the lot of them. So Thomas Barr and Niamh briggs are more worthy of a place in Waterford sporting folklore that any hurler? Not even Ken, Mullane or the great John Keane. Oisin Langan kept harping on about the Munster U21 football win Versus Kerry, yet wasn’t sure what year it was, and name checked a player that wasn’t even playing as he was overage. Enough said

It was quite incredible. Sean Kelly not in there either because of supposed doping incidents. Even more baffling, Langan called Mullane the most iconic hurler in Waterford history, which is hard to argue with. A Waterford Mount Rushmore without a player of the only sport here that really matters? Incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Jesus wept. Not a clue between the lot of them. So Thomas Barr and Niamh briggs are more worthy of a place in Waterford sporting folklore that any hurler? Not even Ken, Mullane or the great John Keane. Oisin Langan kept harping on about the Munster U21 football win Versus Kerry, yet wasn’t sure what year it was, and name checked a player that wasn’t even playing as he was overage. Enough said

I stopped reading the article after the bit about Jessie Barr took Ken McGrath out to make way for her brother...

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    I stopped reading the article after the bit about Jessie Barr took Ken McGrath out to make way for her brother...

He’s a great athlete no doubt but there are at least 5 hurlers whose prowess for Waterford exceeds a fourth place Olympic finish (in my opinion).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

Waterford GAA
    @WaterfordGAA
    ·
    6m
    The draws for this year's Senior Hurling and Football Championships will take place live on Facebook and Twitter tonight at approx 8.45pm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Hurling
    group A ballygunner passage tallow
    Group B mt Sion roanmore clonea
    Group C dungarvan lismore fourmilewater
    Group D DLS Abbeyside ballysaggart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

It’s announced there will b no relegation this year. How will that work for the intermediate winners?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tommylad1212

It’s announced there will b no relegation this year. How will that work for the intermediate winners?

Winners will go up,2 down the year after, crazy stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

yeah seems a bit odd and little unfair to the intermediate teams

Is there going to be intermediate/junior championships ?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tommylad1212

PTH2009 wrote: »
    yeah seems a bit odd and little unfair to the intermediate teams

Is there going to be intermediate/junior championships ?

Yes month of August for east inter anyway , knockout championship also, awkward doh with 11 teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

KevIRL wrote: »
    Hurling
    group A ballygunner passage tallow
    Group B mt Sion roanmore clonea
    Group C dungarvan lismore fourmilewater
    Group D DLS Abbeyside ballysaggart

Is it top 2 from each group through to the quarter finals or top from each group into semis?

• Advertisement

Cake Man wrote: »
    Is it top 2 from each group through to the quarter finals or top from each group into semis?

Top 2 into QFs where teams are seeded

Winners will go up,2 down the year after, crazy stuff

Indeed. I mean the senior championship is already diluted enough with poor/intermediate level teams. We know Ballygunner are out on their own, and there's a group of maybe 3 or 4 behind that might fancy a shot at challenging them for a county championship. But the majority of the rest are really making up the numbers. The senior championship needs a shake-up and an extra intermediate team is not the answer.

I understand this year is an outlier and just happy to have some action to look forward to, but theres also be en a massive opportunity to really look at and change our structures while weve been sitting twiddling our thumbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Hard to get excited about the senior hurling club championship any more. The standard has gone really poor and obviously it's become a bit too easy for ballygunner every year. Dls probably the only other team capable of winning the thing. Should be no problem with social distancing at most of the games.

Hard to get excited about the senior hurling club championship any more. The standard has gone really poor and obviously it's become a bit too easy for ballygunner every year. Dls probably the only other team capable of winning the thing. Should be no problem with social distancing at most of the games.

Hard to see past Ballygunner unless there caught on the hop

Should they have ditched the QFs and just went with top team in each group into the semi finals. That would mean all group games would be important

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Calling it now, Ballygunner will be beat this year!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

By whom?

By whom?

Sure if I knew that I'd be a millionaire. DLS and Lismore I'd say leading shouts, and maybe a dark horse to emerge from the pack. But the longer the winning streak continues, the closer we are to the day they get beat.

Remember, nobody would have called Passage winning in 2013 or Ballyduff in 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

tbf the truncated structure allows an upset more easily , leagues and groups allow good teams to show consistency ,

i will say again this year presents a great chance for waterford, as it will be straight knockout and its anyones , cork clare waterford and wexford all stand a good chance they wouldnt normally have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

tbf the truncated structure allows an upset more easily , leagues and groups allow good teams to show consistency ,

i will say again this year presents a great chance for waterford, as it will be straight knockout and its anyones , cork clare waterford and wexford all stand a good chance they wouldnt normally have

I see your logic. However I'd feel that due to the lack of training time together (bar one county who trained through it) and winter conditions it will suit physical teams with ball winners. Sadly that's not where our strength lies.

(bar one county who trained through it).

I assume that county starts with a W and has a Clare man in charge?

I assume that county starts with a W and has a Clare man in charge?

Think it might start with a K and end with a load of lads booing in the stands

a bit of nostalgia

Remember beating Tipp in the AI semi in 2008 and they played 'the auld triangle' over the PA in respect of Ronnie Drew who died the day before

A special day and moment

From Waterford GAA Facebook

The CCC at an online meeting tonight agreed the commencement dates for the following Club Championships:
    Senior Hurling: w/e July 24th - 26th
    Senior Football: w/e September 4th - 6th
    Junior B Football: w/e September 4th - 6th
    Minor Hurling: July 31st
    Minor Football: August 24th (tbc)

The CCC will reconvene on Thursday night to finalise the fixtures and the details will be forwarded on Friday June 26th.

Have the East and West boards set out dates for the Intermediate and Junior Hurling?

• Advertisement

the GAA love the drag the hell out of things with all there CCCC or whatever meetings

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gary Gurney

Is there an elephant in the room?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0625/1149604-munster-and-leinster-hurling-draws-live-on-rte/

Clare or Cork in a semi final hopefully

Want to avoid Limerick and Tipp

Knock-out Hurling Championships Leinster & Munster

Format;

1 x Provincial Quarter Final, 2 x Semi Finals, Provincial Finals (Draw specifics to be confirmed by the Provinces)

Qualifiers:

RD1 DRAW

6 teams that do not make the Provincial Finals placed in a draw

First 4 teams drawn meet in Rd1; These to include BOTH defeated Provincial Quarter finalists.

Bowl 1 – Leinster Teams – Bowl 2 Munster Teams

2 Leinster drawn to play 2 Munster; (1 Leinster & 1 Munster receive bye to Rd 2)

RD2 DRAW

2 Bye Teams plus 2 Rd 1 winners in a bowl

2 fixtures drawn – subject to avoidance of repeat pairings where possible

ALL-IRELAND QUARTER-FINALS

Bowl 1 – Beaten Provincial Finalists; Bowl 2 – Rd 2 Winners

2 fixtures drawn – subject to avoidance of repeat pairings where possible

ALL-IRELAND SEMI-FINALS – Subject to beaten provincial finalists not meeting the Provincial Champions from their province; and also subject to avoidance of repeat pairings where possible

All-Ireland Semi-Finals and All-Ireland Final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Good draw straight into the semi final. Think the rebels are owed one.

• Advertisement

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Good draw straight into the semi final. Think the rebels are owed one.

yeah good draw for us

Wont be easy

I wonder will it be Thurles or PUC ?

Win four matches and we win the all Ireland. Easy peasy

yeah good draw for us

Wont be easy

I wonder will it be Thurles or PUC ?

Why in the name of Jesus would it be in Cork?

Win four matches and we win the all Ireland. Easy peasy

Sure Kilkenny done that for years

Jesus a christmas all ireland would be insane :D

Maybe its home venue for the team first out. Dont care where it is tbh just be glad to be left into it

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

Has to be Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

I don't see why it couldn't be Walsh Park? It was going to be good enough this year for the round robin game and now there's the "Newbridge or Nowhere" precident too

I don't see why it couldn't be Walsh Park? It was going to be good enough this year for the round robin game and now there's the "Newbridge or Nowhere" precident too

With social distancing attendance might only be 2-3 thousand for one reason anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

With social distancing attendance might only be 2-3 thousand for one reason anyway.

Yea forgot about social distancing haha. But by October you'd hope for a bit more leniency.

Yea forgot about social distancing haha. But by October you'd hope for a bit more leniency.

They have said that even at 2 metre croker will only have 50% capacity. Going by that, ain't nothing happening in Walsh park for the championship this year

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

KevIRL wrote:

Not a chance the GAA will run the championships with only crowds of 2-3 thousand or 25% attendance based on social distancing . They cant even tell counties how many people are allowed attend club matches that are starting in a few weeks time.

• Advertisement

Round 1
    Fri 24th July- Grp A Ballygunner vs Tallow-Fraher Field 7.30pm
    Sat 25th July- Grp D DLS vs Ballysaggart- Fraher Field 7pm
    Sun 26th July- Grp B Clonea vs Mount Sion- Walsh Park 2pm
    Sun 26th July- Grp C Dungarvan vs Fourmilewater- Fraher Field 6.30pm

Round 2
    Sat 1st Aug- Grp C Lismore vs Fourmilewater- Fraher Field 3pm
    Sat 1st Aug- Grp D Ballysaggart vs Abbeyside- Fraher Field 7pm
    Sun 2nd Aug- Grp B Cloena vs Roanmore- Walsh Park 2pm
    Sun 2nd Aug- Grp A Passage vs Tallow- Fraher Field 6pm

Round 3
    Sat 8th Aug- Grp A Ballygunner vs Passage- Walsh Park 2.30pm
    Sat 8th Aug- Grp D DLS vs Abbeyside- Walsh Park 6.30pm
    Sun 9th Aug- Grp B Mount Sion vs Roanmore- Walsh Park 2pm
    Sun 9th Aug- Grp C Dungarvan vs Lismore- Fraher Field 6pm

What’s happening with the conclusion of the league?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

The national league has been cancelled. Or do you mean the clubs league?

Odd one this. My understanding earlier today was the league knock out stages had essentially been abandoned with limerick declared 1A champions and Clare 1B champions. Tonight though it emerges that after limerick draw Clare in the Munster championship that game will serve as the Munster championship quarter final AND the national league final.

footballers playing Limerick in Fraher Field in the Munster QF with winner facing Clare or Tipp in the semi finals

Straight Knock-out no backdoor this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Odd one this. My understanding earlier today was the league knock out stages had essentially been abandoned with limerick declared 1A champions and Clare 1B champions. Tonight though it emerges that after limerick draw Clare in the Munster championship that game will serve as the Munster championship quarter final AND the national league final.

I read somewhere yesterday that it had been decided that if Limerick and Clare met at any stage in the championship the game would double up as the league final. If they didn't meet the league was to be shared.

Convenient that they were drawn to play!

I read somewhere yesterday that it had been decided that if Limerick and Clare met at any stage in the championship the game would double up as the league final. If they didn't meet the league was to be shared.

Convenient that they were drawn to play!

Disappointing. They could have run the Remainder of league off in the few weeks prior to championship, from a Waterford point of view we had been building nice momentum and new style with the new management just prior to the covid lockdown, that quarter final v Kilkenny would have been a great test.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Disappointing. They could have run the Remainder of league off in the few weeks prior to championship, from a Waterford point of view we had been building nice momentum and new style with the new management just prior to the covid lockdown, that quarter final v Kilkenny would have been a great test.

Do the winners of Clare v Limerick have a distinct advantage coming into the semi final a week later?
    Waterford have got a good draw...no doubt about it but whomever doesnt make the Munster final from either side is out in my opinion. 2 many quick fire knock out games

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Good luck lads. I hope ye win against that hugely formidable outfit who have such a proud history but who have fallen on barren times. Should be a humdinger.

• Advertisement

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Do the winners of Clare v Limerick have a distinct advantage coming into the semi final a week later?
    Waterford have got a good draw...no doubt about it but whomever doesnt make the Munster final from either side is out in my opinion. 2 many quick fire knock out games

Is there a back door and quarter finals? Or is it one chance and your out like the old days?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement