Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

not many glamour ties this week but important games for some

Sat 1st
    Lismore vs fourmilewater
    Ballysaggart vs Abbeyside

Sun 2nd
    Clonea vs Roanmore
    Tallow vs Passage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Tadhg de Búrca back playing last week

https://twitter.com/tomasmcc/status/1289580059653582848

I wonder will Cahill's eyes be raised by Maurices performance today ??

Dan came on as a sub for his 28th club season

Ballysaggart, Clonea and Tallow out if they lose their games

Fourmilewater need Lismore to beat Dungarvan next weekend for them to progress to the knockout stages

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Junior Hurler

Anybody manage to cast the live streaming? Can’t see the cast icon?��

https://twitter.com/tomasmcc/status/1289641736738869248?s=19

Abbeyside first team through to the QFs with Ballysaggart bowing out for the year

Really disappointed with Ballysaggart in the senior rankings thought they would be better. I wonder will the Bennetts train with another club now till the intercounty trialing starts?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Anybody manage to cast the live streaming? Can’t see the cast icon?��

If you're using Chrome you can click on the 3 dots in the top right of the browser -this will display a menu with the cast option on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

PTH2009 wrote: »

Abbeyside first team through to the QFs with Ballysaggart bowing out for the year

Really disappointed with Ballysaggart in the senior rankings thought they would be better. I wonder will the Bennetts train with another club now till the intercounty trialing starts?

De La Salle are through as well as Abbeyside.

DiscoStew wrote: »
    De La Salle are through as well as Abbeyside.

Ah yeah skipped my mind

In Grp A If Passage beat Tallow tomorrow than them and Ballygunner will be through

Grp B if Roanmore win tomorrow against Clonea than its them and Mount Sion through

Next week Grp C could possibly be the only group where 3 teams have a chance of progressing. Fourmilewater will go through if Lismore beat Dungarvan but scoring difference will decide the top 2 if Lismore lose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tommylad1212

Why would they train with another club ,going to be teams knocked out this weekend and next weekend in all grades

Why would they train with another club ,going to be teams knocked out this weekend and next weekend in all grades

Both would have to try and keep fit, other IC players will be training with there clubs

More than likely probably get a programme too tick them over til September

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Cahill simply has to call Maurice up now. 2-17 is phenomenal scoring by any standards. There’s no one else in the country putting up that kind of score.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Some performance from Maurice. Anyone know how many he scored from play? After covid, all rules and pride go out the window, I'm sure Cahill will do what he feels is best and if Maurice is on fire then it's a no brainer surely.

Anyone watch the Ballysaggart v De La Salle match last week? The commentator said there was a strong rumour that Shane Bennett was coming back to the panel. Is that confirmed yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Some performance from Maurice. Anyone know how many he scored from play? After covid, all rules and pride go out the window, I'm sure Cahill will do what he feels is best and if Maurice is on fire then it's a no brainer surely.

Anyone watch the Ballysaggart v De La Salle match last week? The commentator said there was a strong rumour that Shane Bennett was coming back to the panel. Is that confirmed yet?

1-3 from play

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

It seems that the Tallow v Passage game will be free to watch on youtube according to twitter.

• Advertisement

Roanmore and Mount Sion through from Grp B with Clonea going out

Roanmore 4-16- Clonea 2-9

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

It seems that the Tallow v Passage game will be free to watch on youtube according to twitter.

Awful stream, didnt start until 5 minutes in and stopped completely at half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

carter10 wrote: »
    Awful stream, didnt start until 5 minutes in and stopped completely at half time.

Why wasn't it on the normal service with the rest of the games? :confused:

Why wasn't it on the normal service with the rest of the games? :confused:

I think it was arranged through the clubz,not county board

Passage 1-18- Tallow 0-17

Ballygunner, Passage, Roanmore, Mount Sion, Abbeyside, DLS all through to QFs

Grp C all to play for and Afaik might be decided by scoring difference if Dungarvan can beat Lismore. If Lismore win then them and Fourmilewater go through, all other groups are battle for 1st/2nd next weekend

• Advertisement

Passage 1-18- Tallow 0-17

Ballygunner, Passage, Roanmore, Mount Sion, Abbeyside, DLS all through to QFs

Grp C all to play for and Afaik might be decided by scoring difference if Dungarvan can beat Lismore. If Lismore win then them and Fourmilewater go through, all other groups are battle for 1st/2nd next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Junior Hurler

Generally wide victory margins in Senior championship so far ; 19, 4, 13, 6, 8, 1, 20, 13

An average of 10.5 pts

I would be surprised if Bennett Wasn’t regretting his decision to opt out of intercounty hurling while sitting at home on his hole the past few months, when he thought he’d be living it up over in the states.

There should absolutely be a clean slate though and I’d be surprised if Cahill didn’t want him back. And Maurice aswell. That would certainly boost our forward options.

Maurice is a leader on the field and something we've lacked in the forwards in recent times. He won't be on fire every day but sure who have we got that is.

How did Noel Connors play ??

Is the return on Sep 2020 both return for championship and pre season for 2021 ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Maurice is a leader on the field and something we've lacked in the forwards in recent times. He won't be on fire every day but sure who have we got that is.

I think Maurice is the most talented forward in the county along with Stephen Bennett. However too often when watching Maurice play for Waterford in recent years I'm watching him behind my fingers and praying he doesn't get sent off and that right there is the reason I think he isn't on the panel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Yeah like I don't think anyone can question his ability or skill, it's his temperament is the problem.

deisedude wrote: »
    I think Maurice is the most talented forward in the county along with Stephen Bennett. However too often when watching Maurice play for Waterford in recent years I'm watching him behind my fingers and praying he doesn't get sent off and that right there is the reason I think he isn't on the panel

You could say the same about Austin but I take your point.

€120 being refunded for season ticket club +

They're deducting €80 for the unfinished league?

€120 being refunded for season ticket club +

They're deducting €80 for the unfinished league?

Only getting €40 refund for the normal season ticket (€120 full price)

:mad::mad::mad: at everything about tonight's announcement

Looking like it will streaming services for the rest of the 2020 GAA season for club and county. Sure look it worked well for Liverpool and leeds supporters and any match Waterford play in we will be watching

• Advertisement

How did Noel Connors play ??

Is the return on Sep 2020 both return for championship and pre season for 2021 ??
    He was moved from centre back to the corner. Lucky not to escape Red..

Fancy Roanmore be beat Mount Sion

Heard there handy enough under Peter Queally, how many clubs has been with ?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

More clubs than Tiger Woods, even transferred from Ballydurn during his playing career, think it was Sarsfields in Cork. Doesn’t seem to have had much loyalty to clubs, just moves on from club to club every second year or so

More clubs than Tiger Woods, even transferred from Ballydurn during his playing career, think it was Sarsfields in Cork. Doesn’t seem to have had much loyalty to clubs, just moves on from club to club every second year or so

Won a county title with Ballygunner, won a county title with Passage and got to a county final with Abbeyside. Blotted his copy with the county under 21s back in 2013 or so though.

Won a county title with Ballygunner, won a county title with Passage and got to a county final with Abbeyside. Blotted his copy with the county under 21s back in 2013 or so though.

wasn't he with Tallow for a while too ?

Think it was 2014 he was under 21 boss after losing out on the senior race. Good squad but as like other previous underage squads just didn't work out. That Cork team were great shakes either making it more frustrating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

And a County intermediate with Youghal, and a second County final with Passage.

His record at club management is superb. Really don't think u21 management is as important as some would suggest. Also his association with Davy Fitz time in Waterford probably doesn't sit well with some people. And also the goal we conceded in 2002 v Clare, a few haven't forgotten or forgiven that either.

In my mind, he's the natural successor to Cahill if he'll take it after what happened last year. Be very interesting to see how Roanmore get on.

For the record, he was u21 boss in 2013 + 2014. 2013 they were unlucky to lose to a Clare side that won their 3rd u21 all Ireland in a row that year, Paudie Prendergast was sent off harshly. In 2014, they were very disappointing v Cork but some of the Senior players on the team were most definitely undercooked on account of the turbulent time they had in Derek McGraths first year in charge.

Don’t know what constitutes loyalty in your eyes but He served his own club Newtown/Ballydurn as a player and coach for about 20 years, the majority of those in junior grade . He transferred to Sarsfields briefly when he was a Garda based in Cork and then back again. But never let facts get in the way of a snide comment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

A nothing match really with both into the quarter finals already.

Neither of these teams good enough to get near ballygunner.
    Roanmore are fairly average, have no real stand out players good enough for county bar Billy Nolan. Will get so far in the championship but a defensive gameplan and the lack of real quality is why the max they could achieve is a semi final.
    Mount sion likewise. How many of their present team would of get near their starting team 15 years ago.
    The Waterford senior hurling club championship has really become a bit of a bore. Really needs a team to knock out the Gunners and create a bit of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

It’s a pity that three of the four Waterford senior hurling championship groups are already decided after only two rounds, which will probably produce some shadow boxing in the final round in these groups next weekend (although there is the mild incentive that group winners avoid each other in the quarter finals). The exception is the Dungarvan/Lismore game in the most evenly-balanced of the four groups, with Dungarvan needing a win to stay in the competition.

The game of the weekend was that between Lismore and Fourmilewater, which had lots of good hurling and excellent scores. In the first half, it looked as though their narrow win over Dungarvan the previous weekend had taken a lot out of Fourmilewater. They were very sluggish and their touch was poor. Their defence also gave away a lot of needless fouls which were punished with relish by the in-form Maurice Shanahan. I was surprised that referee Tom Mansfield did not dish out a yellow card or two for persistent fouling.

FMW were a different team in the second half as they greatly raised their game and began to make inroads into Lismore’s big half-time lead, with wing-back Tholum Guiry making a major contribution. When they got the lead back to three points I thought we might be in for another dramatic finish, but Maurice’s firmly dispatched late penalty (for a foul on himself) put an end to that, with the same player putting the icing on the cake with his second goal a few minutes later.

I presume that Maurice was dropped from the Waterford panel for reasons other than hurling ability, but his performance on Sunday must surely call for a reassessment. Apart from his shooting accuracy, I was very impressed by his fitness and conditioning. He shrugged off several physical challenges like water off a duck’s back, and his first half point from the right wing, when he rode a strong tackle and split the posts off his right hand side was possibly the highlight of the game.

The bedrock of the Lismore win was provided by their strong half-back line of Iarlaith and Cárthach Daly (just out of minor) and David Prendergast. Paudie Prendergast, who appeared to be playing in a defensive midfield role, gave yet another exhibition of his stickwork and slick striking, while Jack Prendergast was excellent up front.

Passage/Tallow was also a well-contested game, with Passage’s early goal ultimately proving decisive. Tallow will rue a string of bad wides and the injury of Thomas Ryan which greatly reduced his effectiveness in the second half. From what I could make out from the YouTube coverage, Passage’s left half back Ciarán O’Neill impressed, but their big star was Mikey Cummins (also just out of minor) whose nine-point haul included five from play. Ian Beecher did well for Tallow with four good points.

Abbeyside looked impressive in their win over a Ballysaggart side which had a fair amount of possesson but could make no impression on a strong Village defence. In the first half, Conor Prunty followed Stephen Bennett wherever he went. When Ballysaggart pushed Shane Bennett up front in the second half, Prunty dropped back to mark him, with Brian Looby taking over the job of man-marking Stephen. This meant that the Ballysaggart danger man, who also appeared to be restricted by a knee injury, had a limited influence on the game.

For the second week in a row, Kieran Bennett was a marginal figure at midfield, and I was surprised he was not pushed up to add some scoring power to the front line.

By contrast with Ballysaggart, Abbeyside had a lot of scoring options up front. They played a lot of good ball into their two-man full forward line of Michael Kiely and Mark Ferncombe who gave their markers a torrid time. Kiely showed no signs of his recent long layoff. Tall, strong and a lovely hurler, he is an outstanding prospect. Further out, Neil Montgomery and Michael O’Halloran also weighed in with some excellent points.

Like Fourmilewater, Clonea seemed to be feeling the after-effects of the big effort they put in against Mount Sion the previous week and were always playing second fiddle to a well-prepared Roanmore outfit who were sharp and well-organised. Clonea did improve in the second half and managed a couple of goals but, as in the previous week, they lacked a cutting edge up front.

Roanmore had a very fit-looking Billy Nolan playing at centre forward. He scored a smashing goal and has the capability of scoring, whether from play or from frees, from all angles and distances. Whether Liam Cahill would consider him as an outfield option remains to be seen. This was a good team display by Roanmore, but I was particularly impressed by another of last year’s county minors, Rory Furlong, playing at left half back.

In fact, a feature of the last two weekends’ games was the number of recent graduates from the minor ranks who made an impression at this level. By my reckoning, nine of last year’s county minors played senior club championship over the two weeks, with most of them figuring prominently. Two more (Jack Ó Floinn and Caolán Mac Craith) made important contributions to An Rinn’s good start in the intermediate championship. Five further players (including Abbeyside’s Michael Kiely and Ballygunner’s Paddy Leavy) played minor in 2018. Waterford’s minors were competitive in these two years and, if properly organised, we could have a useful under-20 team this year.

It is also good to see Tadhg de Búrca is back playing again. I also noticed that Colm Roche was man-of-the-match in Shamrocks’ win over Stradbally. He notched 1-12 (1-3 from play) and also set up Shamrocks’ winning goal. Their other top players on the day were Shane Roche and John Paul Lucey, who have received favourable comment here before.

• Advertisement

wasn't he with Tallow for a while too ?

Think it was 2014 he was under 21 boss after losing out on the senior race. Good squad but as like other previous underage squads just didn't work out. That Cork team were great shakes either making it more frustrating
    He was never with Tallow. He double jobbed Passage with the Shamrocks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Teebor15

He didn't win a County title with Ballygunner.

Teebor15 wrote: »
    He didn't win a County title with Ballygunner.

Apologies he was gone in 2009. Finalist in 2007 but never won one.

At this stage fans might not see Liam Cahill take charge of a Waterford championship game

Imo i think he's getting the Tipp job when Sheedy goes

An Rinn 4-17 (29)- Stradbally 1-11 (14) in the first Western Intermediate Hurling QFs

Other QFs
    Sat 8th Aug
    Modeligo vs Clashmore- Fraher Field 2pm
    Ardmore vs Shamrocks- Fraher Field 6pm

Sun 9th Aug
    Ballyduff Upper vs St Marys- Fraher Field 2pm

The Eastern Intermediate Hurling QFs also taking place this weekend

Sat 8th Aug
    St Saviours vs Dunhill- Kill 2.30pm
    Ferrybank vs Ballyduff Lower- Fenor 6pm

Sun 9th Aug
    De La Salle vs Portlaw- Dunhill 3.30pm
    Erins Own vs Butlerstown- Walsh Park 6pm

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tommylad1212

And a County intermediate with Youghal, and a second County final with Passage.

His record at club management is superb. Really don't think u21 management is as important as some would suggest. Also his association with Davy Fitz time in Waterford probably doesn't sit well with some people. And also the goal we conceded in 2002 v Clare, a few haven't forgotten or forgiven that either.

In my mind, he's the natural successor to Cahill if he'll take it after what happened last year. Be very interesting to see how Roanmore get on.

For the record, he was u21 boss in 2013 + 2014. 2013 they were unlucky to lose to a Clare side that won their 3rd u21 all Ireland in a row that year, Paudie Prendergast was sent off harshly. In 2014, they were very disappointing v Cork but some of the Senior players on the team were most definitely undercooked on account of the turbulent time they had in Derek McGraths first year in charge.

Also trained the rower in kilkenny for a season

• Advertisement

Also trained the rower in kilkenny for a season

Hint of davy fitz off this lad,training all over the place,with limited silverware to show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Hint of davy fitz off this lad,training all over the place,with limited silverware to show

Yeah. Davy Fitz won **** all.

Business as usual for Ballygunner in the Senior
    Ballygunner 2-20(26)- Passage 0-15

Western Intermediate QF- Clashmore 0-14- Modeligo 1-10(13)
    Eastern Intermediate QF- Dunhill 3-25(34)- St Saviours 2-06(12)

Who has Davy Fitz not won silverware with?

Western Intermediate QF- Shamrocks 0-25- Ardmore 2-16(22)
    Eastern Intermediate QF- Ballyduff Lower 1-27(30)- Ferrybank 0-24

Senior- De La Salle 3-15(24)- Abbeyside 1-15(18)

Ballygunner Top Group A with Passage Runners up
    De La Salle Top Group D with Abbeyside Runners up

Grps B and C finish tomorrow followed by QF draw (repeat pairings avoided)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement