Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tommylad1212

Cake Man wrote: »
    Could be wrong as I dong know the soccer scene too well but it could be Seaview Celtic?

Just from my own observations I always got the impression with Tramore youngsters, being a beach town, many got into alternative sports like skateboarding and surfing. There was always the skatepark down the end of the prom and a few surf schools. May not have counted for many but I’m sure it probably would have pulled away a few lads from the GAA scene, combined with some of the other factors mentioned in previous posts.

Seaview, would be annstown,dunhill kill,fenor bunmahon area

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    tramore has long been the problem with regard to producing players for county teams, second biggest population centre after the city but a very poor record of producing players and performing at club level.

lots of possible reasons, the town is traditionally a soccer town, two premier dvision clubs in the local league, with tramore afc arguably the strongest team in the league.

for me the biggest reason is the lack of parish rule and young lads living in tramore being brought into clubs in the city for the hurling. I saw lads playing hurling on a green in an estate in tramore a few years back and they all wearing mount sion jerseys.

I would love to see a big focus on improving standards in tramore, with a major focus on getting children involved in the local club. I think we currently have a very good spread across the city and county representing the county teams, from east to west, with the big exception being tramore.

Who was the last tramore player to play county hurling?
    Tramore had their own gda in the club couple of years ago not sure if they still do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Gardner

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    tramore has long been the problem with regard to producing players for county teams, second biggest population centre after the city but a very poor record of producing players and performing at club level.

lots of possible reasons, the town is traditionally a soccer town, two premier dvision clubs in the local league, with tramore afc arguably the strongest team in the league.

for me the biggest reason is the lack of parish rule and young lads living in tramore being brought into clubs in the city for the hurling. I saw lads playing hurling on a green in an estate in tramore a few years back and they all wearing mount sion jerseys.

I would love to see a big focus on improving standards in tramore, with a major focus on getting children involved in the local club. I think we currently have a very good spread across the city and county representing the county teams, from east to west, with the big exception being tramore.

this. biggest single problem. until this is resolved you can forget about Tramore GAA making any progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

Who was the last tramore player to play county hurling?
    Tramore had their own gda in the club couple of years ago not sure if they still do

I seem remember one lad on the 2016 u21 team but cant find the source right now, wasn't named in the final where i looked at the teamsheet but made the squad, i remember it sticking out because players dont come from tramore usually.
    What's the 3 soccer clubs in tramore? Tramore afc, tramore rangers , .............?

my mistake could remember 2 and thought there was a third, not a soccer person
    Tramore are in this years junior A and junior c, eastern finals this weekend so numbers must be ok,

for a population of 10k hardly anything to write home about, look at clashmore, dubhill ballysaggrt, lismore, stradbally.

imagine what those clubs could do with that kind of catchment .

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭optiplex780

Looks like there's going to be no fans at any semi or county finals. Big dissapointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Looks like there's going to be no fans at any semi or county finals. Big dissapointment.

Yeah and I'd say they will up the price of the streams again now

I seem remember one lad on the 2016 u21 team but cant find the source right now, wasn't named in the final where i looked at the teamsheet but made the squad, i remember it sticking out because players dont come from tramore usually.

my mistake could remember 2 and thought there was a third, not a soccer person

for a population of 10k hardly anything to write home about, look at clashmore, dubhill ballysaggrt, lismore, stradbally.

imagine what those clubs could do with that kind of catchment .

It's a start for them they didn't have a 2nd team last year

The County Board should release a streaming package costing say €18-€20 and include both Senior SFs and Final plus Intermediate finals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

On Tramore
    They had a gda recently but his contract is finished so none anymore. Ciaran Boyle was his name and looked like he done some good work.
    Barry Whelan is the name of the lad on the all Ireland under 21 winning panel. Only player from Tramore I can think of playing with another club is Eamon Power for Roanmore but their could be others.
    Tramore often produce hurlers who make the County squads at under 14 for the Tony Forestall and Sonny Walsh tournaments. Yet these players never make county minor squads. They have a big drop off between these ages.
    If things were done right in Tramore they could be competing with Ballygunner.
    I heard a few years ago Sean Cullinane was training their adult hurling team and when training was due to start he found all the players out in the field playing a game of rounders. They wouldn't stop their game of rounders to start training so he walked.
    Maybe it was only made up but knowing the mentality out their I wouldn't be surprised if the story was true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

In fairness, fairly hard to believe that anecdote.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

In fairness, fairly hard to believe that anecdote.

It didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

County minor A final between Abbeyside and Ballygunner will be streamed live from Fraher on the following link tonight at 6:20 with a 6:30 throw-in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbt3KK56RU8
    Gavin Whelan and Fergal Hartley on commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

I see wexford have passed 10,000 subscriptions for their club hurling streaming service, with Galway expecting to break that number this weekend. anybody know what sort of numbers Waterford are at over last weeks?

County minor A final between Abbeyside and Ballygunner will be streamed live from Fraher on the following link tonight at 6:20 with a 6:30 throw-in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbt3KK56RU8
    Gavin Whelan and Fergal Hartley on commentary.

Hartley won't be biased at all

Are Ballygunner expected to win well or will Abbeyside surprise us ?

Patrick Fitzgerald scoring everything for Ballygunner

• Advertisement

great effort by Abbeyside but its 4 in a row for Ballygunner. Patrick Fitzgerald scoring 1-11 for Ballygunner , one to watch for the future hopefully

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Patrick Fitzgerald scoring everything for Ballygunner

Some player and I think he’s underage next year

What a performance from Patrick Fitzgerald, supers skills and scoring, only 16 years old, a real prospect.

that Beresford lad for Abbeyside was class too, scored some lovely points.

good game and great service to provide the free stream.

Some player and I think he’s underage next year

He must be part of the Waterford Minor squad ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

I took my six-year-old son to soccer and GAA training in Tramore on Saturday mornings and there were more children going regularly to GAA than soccer. I felt the soccer training was that bit better though with everyone rotating through drills, while the GAA training was a little haphazard. In general, and this is only a feeling in my waters, Tramore AFC (Tramore Rangers don't seem to have any juvenile setup) feels that bit more organised than Tramore GAA, something that would be true at all levels. There was no shortage of enthusiasm though in what I saw, and they were even having Monday night training under the lights which I thought was very cool. A decade of that, and who knows where a set of youngsters might end up? Alas, we're moving away, and not seeing him follow through on that is the thing that upsets me most about leaving. No strained relationship with my son for not having made the county team despite years of “encouragement” from the da :D

• Advertisement

the Division 2 minor final was postponed

Some result for An Ghaeltacht in the Div 3 final
    7-20- 0-07 win over Erin's Own. Am I right in saying its made up of An Rinn and a few other clubs?

the Division 2 minor final was postponed

Some result for An Ghaeltacht in the Div 3 final
    7-20- 0-07 win over Erin's Own. Am I right in saying its made up of An Rinn and a few other clubs?

Old Parish anyway, Old Parish have no underage or adult hurling club. An Rinn won junior C & B in the last 2 years and were competitive at junior A this year beating Colligan in the group despite being an intermediate club but they have players from Old Parish players playing for them.
    There have been some very one sided games in the Div 3 championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Ballygunner 1-13 Abbeyside 0-14

Last night’s county minor hurling final between Ballygunner and Abbeyside was a wonderful advertisement for the current standard of under-age hurling in Waterford.

It was a titanic struggle between two evenly-matched teams that went right down to the wire. Despite the wet conditions, which got worse in the second half, the hurling quality throughout both teams was very high, and breath-taking at times.

I don’t think I have never seen a single player dominate a game as much as happened in this one. Still only 16, Patrick Fitzgerald (son of former Passage and Gaultier great and current well-known referee, Anthony “Fly” Fitzgerald) came into this game with a big reputation and, boy, how he lived up to it.

Wonderfully skillful and possessing a bit of pace, he got all of Ballygunner’s scores bar one point. His early goal (superbly executed under pressure) ultimately won the game, as it created a scoring gap that Abbeyside were unable to bridge. What really impressed me was his ability to read the game and get on the ball. In the second half in particular, when Abbeyside were exerting major pressure, he won ball after ball in the midfield area and used it to great effect, either running at the Village defence or laying off to better-placed team mates.

And yet despite Fitzgerald’s exploits and the quality of the Ballygunner performance, Abbeyside will feel they left this game after them. Like their senior team last Sunday, their decision-making was poor, especially in the first half when they kept shooting for points from distance or from difficult positions, hitting nine wides in the process. This was even more surprising given that, as we found out in the second half when they played more sensible hurling, they had a very handy player at full forward in Charlie Treen.

Down four points at half time, Abbeyside really upped the ante to dominate the third quarter, during which the they reduced the deficit to one point. However, they will rue a couple of shots from good positions which dropped short to the goalkeeper.

There has been some talk about how the water breaks are affecting the flow of games. On this occasion Abbeyside were really going well when the second half break was called, whereas on the restart Ballygunner were able to regain the initiative, and despite the Villagers’ best efforts, they held out to the end.

One would hope that a good county team can be built around these two teams. This year they have the advantage (as, of course, do all the other counties) of completing the county championship before the intercounty championship begins, so the selectors will have a good idea of the resources at their disposal, and how they can perform under competitive conditions.

And fair dues to those responsible for making this live transmission available on YouTube. According to broadcaster Gavin Whelan, over 1,000 people were looking in at the beginning of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Gavin Whelan a very good commentor.

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Ballygunner 1-13 Abbeyside 0-14

Last night’s county minor hurling final between Ballygunner and Abbeyside was a wonderful advertisement for the current standard of under-age hurling in Waterford.

It was a titanic struggle between two evenly-matched teams that went right down to the wire. Despite the wet conditions, which got worse in the second half, the hurling quality throughout both teams was very high, and breath-taking at times.

I don’t think I have never seen a single player dominate a game as much as happened in this one. Still only 16, Patrick Fitzgerald (son of former Passage and Gaultier great and current well-known referee, Anthony “Fly” Fitzgerald) came into this game with a big reputation and, boy, how he lived up to it.

Wonderfully skillful and possessing a bit of pace, he got all of Ballygunner’s scores bar one point. His early goal (superbly executed under pressure) ultimately won the game, as it created a scoring gap that Abbeyside were unable to bridge. What really impressed me was his ability to read the game and get on the ball. In the second half in particular, when Abbeyside were exerting major pressure, he won ball after ball in the midfield area and used it to great effect, either running at the Village defence or laying off to better-placed team mates.

And yet despite Fitzgerald’s exploits and the quality of the Ballygunner performance, Abbeyside will feel they left this game after them. Like their senior team last Sunday, their decision-making was poor, especially in the first half when they kept shooting for points from distance or from difficult positions, hitting nine wides in the process. This was even more surprising given that, as we found out in the second half when they played more sensible hurling, they had a very handy player at full forward in Charlie Treen.

Down four points at half time, Abbeyside really upped the ante to dominate the third quarter, during which the they reduced the deficit to one point. However, they will rue a couple of shots from good positions which dropped short to the goalkeeper.

There has been some talk about how the water breaks are affecting the flow of games. On this occasion Abbeyside were really going well when the second half break was called, whereas on the restart Ballygunner were able to regain the initiative, and despite the Villagers’ best efforts, they held out to the end.

One would hope that a good county team can be built around these two teams. This year they have the advantage (as, of course, do all the other counties) of completing the county championship before the intercounty championship begins, so the selectors will have a good idea of the resources at their disposal, and how they can perform under competitive conditions.

And fair dues to those responsible for making this live transmission available on YouTube. According to broadcaster Gavin Whelan, over 1,000 people were looking in at the beginning of the game.

Patrick Fitzgerald a very exciting prospect and all going well he could be in the same squad with some of our current senior players (Aussie, Barron, Bennetts, Jack Prendergast etc)

Still very young though

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

thesultan wrote: »
    Gavin Whelan a very good commentor.

By far the best in the county. Far superior to Kieran O’Connor

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

The big performance in last weekend’s club quarter finals came from Mount Sion in their unexpected victory over De La Salle. You certainly could not have foreseen this on the basis of their previous two games.

Even at half-time, the possibility of a Mount Sion win seemed remote. While they had worked hard in the first half, DLS were clearly the better team on the pitch, superbly orchestrated by Shane McNulty at the back and with Eddie Barrett putting in a big shift in midfield.

The fact that Mount Sion were only a point behind at half-time was down to their ability to get in for two goals and a lot of wastefulness by DLS at the other end, even though they did get some excellent scores. Jack Fagan in particular was having an off-day, with several missed frees and a point-blank goal opportunity which he blazed wide. Nevertheless, DLS did finish the half very strongly and all the signs were that they would build on this after the change of ends.

Maybe they relaxed a little, but they certainly were not prepared for the Mount Sion onslaught following the restart which saw them notching 1-9 in the third quarter against just two points for DLS. Austin Gleeson stormed into the game while Martin O’Neill gave a tour-de-force display at midfield. They got decent assistance from the likes of Evan McGrath and Mick Gaffney, who hadn’t really featured in the earlier games.

As panic set in among the DLS players, they started giving away fouls from their desperate attempts to get possession. They did manage two late goals but never looked like closing the gap.

Apart from those mentioned already, one Mount Sion player who has impressed me throughout the campaign, although he has been beset by recurring injury, is corner back PJ Fanning. Here is another of the many young players who have come to attention during the course of this championship.

There was always a chance of the Lismore/Abbeyside game being decided by one or other of these two temperamental teams not turning up on the day, and so it transpired. While Lismore did play very well, their task was made much easier by a very poor performance from Abbeyside. Their first touch was abysmal, their decision-making terrible, and their shooting askew.

They played really bad ball into their potentially dangerous inside line, in complete contrast to their game against Ballysaggart. To give him credit, Mark Ferncobme did reasonably well in the circumstances, but the fact is that, apart from Ferncombe’s scoring tally of 2-8 (1-2 from play), the rest of the Village forwards (both starters and substitutes) managed just one point between them. In the whole game, Michael Kiely got just one decent possession, which brought a good save from Seánie Barry.

Conor Prunty was the only other Abbeyside player to impress, and kept good control over Maurice Shanahan until he moved up late in the game to try to rescue Abbeyside, which in turn allowed Maurice to deliver the coup-de-grace with his late goal. With Maurice well-held and Ray Barry unable to reproduce the form of the previous game against Fourmilewater, Oisín O’Gorman stepped into the breach with a man-of-the-match performance via a tally of 1-5 from play. O’Gorman had come on as a second-half substitute against FMW to notch two goals, but he really announced his arrival with this performance.

Lismore also got big performances here from the very assured Iarlaith Daly at centre back and his brother Cárthach with his now trademark forward sallies from the wing back position. Meanwhile, Jack Prendergast is emerging as one of the personalities of the competition with another all-action display. His first touch is superb, and he is almost cheeky in the way he uses his pace and ability to keep possession to take on and go past opposing players.

In the third quarter final Passage really upped their game and worked very hard to overcome a Roanmore side which showed little of the skill and organisation which had been a feature of their previous games. They also drew great inspiration from the leadership provided by veteran Eoin Connors. Roanmore did miss a number of goal chances but there is no doubt that Passage were good value for this win.

The final game was another stroll in the park for Ballygunner, who won as they pleased. To their credit, Fourmilewater never threw in the towel, and I admired the way they strove to raise their game to their opponents’ level in the second half, led by the impressive Seán Walsh in midfield (another young newcomer). They put some good interpassing movements together, but every time they got near the Ballygunner goal they were swallowed up by the Gunners’ converging defence.

In the Western intermediate semi-finals, Colm Roche once again produced a high-octane performance, hitting 0-15 (0-7 from play) but it still wasn’t enough to get Shamrocks over the line, as Ballyduff Upper came from three points down with five minutes to go to force the game into overtime, where they won comfortably. The Reds did have the luxury here of bringing on Stephen Molumphy and Eoghan Murray as second-half substitutes.

In the other semi-final, Clashmore-Kinsalebeg reversed the big beating they took from An Rinn in the first qualifying round, and won this game with something to spare. Their star perfomer, once again, was Tadhg de Búrca, with Brian O’Halloran hitting 0-5 from play.

The final between Clashmore and Ballyduff will be live-streamed by Nemeton next Sunday at 6 pm and should be well worth watching. I am really enjoying being able to watch all these games from the comfort of my front room!

Winners for me this week

Ballyduff Lower
    Ballygunner
    Passage (think Mount Sion will blow there chance)
    Clashmore

€8 per game for the streams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Winners for me this week

Ballyduff Lower
    Ballygunner
    Passage (think Mount Sion will blow there chance)
    Clashmore

€8 per game for the streams
    A tenner
    Should have a package deal for 25

thesultan wrote: »
    A tenner
    Should have a package deal for 25

feck that

Id rather listen on the radio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Is Colm Roche on the county panel?

After our discussion here about Tramore they have today won the East Junior A Hurling Championship beating Roanmore 0-20-0-17 in extra time

https://twitter.com/WaterfordGAA/status/1297243367588409354?s=19

Let's hope the winner of tomorrow's game will put up a better show in the final. Ballygunner walking it is very possible sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Dessie scored 2-7 from play in the first half. I think he ended up with 2-8 before being taken off:

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Deise_abu

If their is inter county championship this year, Liam Cahill should be trying to get Philip to return based on tonights performance plus conditions come October would suit his style as evident in previous club championship campaigns

Deise_abu wrote: »
    If their is inter county championship this year, Liam Cahill should be trying to get Philip to return based on tonights performance plus conditions come October would suit his style as evident in previous club championship campaigns

imagine it would take a lot of convincing for him to return but it would be very welcome

Also Maurice deserves a shot I think

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Junior Hurler

Gunners’ victory margins; 11, 19, 12, 18

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

imagine it would take a lot of convincing for him to return but it would be very welcome

which younger players would you axe?

• Advertisement

which younger players would you axe?

sad to say but the younger brigade are not young anymore (players who came from the minor and under 21 AI winning teams) The way the game is gone a player is near the end of his IC career at 28/29. Past reputations mean very little and has to be judged on current performance

This Virus has come at the wrong bloody time in regards our squad age. If only we done things differently in 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

sad to say but the younger brigade are not young anymore (players who came from the minor and under 21 AI winning teams) The way the game is gone a player is near the end of his IC career at 28/29. Past reputations mean very little and has to be judged on current performance

This Virus has come at the wrong bloody time in regards our squad age. If only we done things differently in 2017

the 2016 u21 team are approx 24/25 now, the peak of players is 27/28 thsi gives me hope that we are in a really good position come 3 years

Did you see the game tonight or against Abbeyside, a fabulous servant to the county and seriously talented hurler but on the 2 performances I have seen I would say Cahill made the right call

Time flies and then we have the uncertainty around these times

Would love a championship this year and think it would be very interesting but its not looking promising

Liam Cahill seems to have done a good job so far but its so hard to judge with current events. If Sheddy leaves Tipp then its a nervy wait for us in regards Cahills services

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Did you see the game tonight or against Abbeyside, a fabulous servant to the county and seriously talented hurler but on the 2 performances I have seen I would say Cahill made the right call

The thing about Maurice is that he thrives only when he is the main man. Leading the attack and taking the frees. It’s no coincidence that his best year in a Waterford jersey was 2015 after Pauric Mahony done his cruciate. He’s not and never will be effective enough as a bit part player or a contributor. He’s very much a confidence player and needs to lead from the front. Unless Cahill brings him back in as his marquis forward I can’t see it happening

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

The thing about Maurice is that he thrives only when he is the main man. Leading the attack and taking the frees. It’s no coincidence that his best year in a Waterford jersey was 2015 after Pauric Mahony done his cruciate. He’s not and never will be effective enough as a bit part player or a contributor. He’s very much a confidence player and needs to lead from the front. Unless Cahill brings him back in as his marquis forward I can’t see it happening

Maurice is a fantastic club hurler. However, he does not have the pace or mobility for inter county hurling. For me this has been reaffirmed after watching tonight’s game. The way inter county hurling has gone and looking at the way Liam Cahill sets up his team, Maurice just doesn’t have the capability to put in the work rate required.

On a side note, BG were brilliant tonight. I was really impressed with their work rate particularly in their forwards. Lismore were not given a second on the ball. Contrast this to when BG defenders had the ball, no pressure from the lismore forwards at all and able to pin point passes into Dessie.

• Advertisement

He scored 1-4 from play last weekend??

Scored 2 or 3 points last night, on a night where Lismore bad absolutely no answer.

Just to add he was man of the match in both the previous games as well.

I probably wouldn't have him back but it's nothing to with ability.

He scored 1-4 from play last weekend??

Scored 2 or 3 points last night, on a night where Lismore bad absolutely no answer.

Just to add he was man of the match in both the previous games as well.

I probably wouldn't have him back but it's nothing to with ability.

In my first post i stated I still think he is a fabulous hurler, i just feel marking two inter county full backs in the last two game seen him contained, prunty and coughlan would do a job on many full forwards, how much of the 1 - 4 was scored when prunty moved out the field? Not being critical of Maurice just think the calls for his return should be viewed on these games and not the ealier rounds, Philip Mahony and Martin O'Neill were the only two guys that I seen who I would think Cahill should be pushing to have a look at again

In my first post i stated I still think he is a fabulous hurler, i just feel marking two inter county full backs in the last two game seen him contained, prunty and coughlan would do a job on many full forwards, how much of the 1 - 4 was scored when prunty moved out the field? Not being critical of Maurice just think the calls for his return should be viewed on these games and not the ealier rounds, Philip Mahony and Martin O'Neill were the only two guys that I seen who I would think Cahill should be pushing to have a look at again

I can understand it alright but I'd cut him a bit of slack. His scoring performances on average have been more impressive than starting Waterford forwards like Jack Fagan, Neil Montgomery, Mahony or Peter Hogan.

And as much as Fergal Hartley had mentioned Lismore having a forward line to challenge any in Munster, he was fighting a lonely battle up there yesterday I thought.

As I said, for discipline I likely still wouldn't call him up. But he'd definitely be an asset off the bench at least to make the ball stick, similar to the Clare game last year when he had a big hand in helping almost steal as a totally undeserved win.

in fairness Maurice has been excellent for lismore this season, but last 2 games he was up against probably best 2 full backs in the county and both got the better of him.

dessie Hutchinson was class yesterday, his touch and movement and scoring ability is just excellent. he is fast becoming one of the best forwards in the county. big step up to county level but he has all the assets required to make an impact, given time.

I can understand it alright but I'd cut him a bit of slack. His scoring performances on average have been more impressive than starting Waterford forwards like Jack Fagan, Neil Montgomery, Mahony or Peter Hogan.

And as much as Fergal Hartley had mentioned Lismore having a forward line to challenge any in Munster, he was fighting a lonely battle up there yesterday I thought.

As I said, for discipline I likely still wouldn't call him up. But he'd definitely be an asset off the bench at least to make the ball stick, similar to the Clare game last year when he had a big hand in helping almost steal as a totally undeserved win.

I think its fair to say he walks on to the team of the club championship based on performances and scoring averages, my only point was that I would not be calling for his inter county return like others

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement