Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 KissMeArse

Lads I know Waterford City from been in the college, I presume Ardkeen and Ballygunner itself be the main population hub for the club? how far into the city is their catchment area? Thanks

Yeah pretty much those areas around the eastern side of the city on the Dunmore road where there is a sizeable population. Even extending out to Dunmore itself. If you were to draw an imaginary line from Tramore up to Ardkeen hospital, there are just two hurling clubs east of that line (BG and Passage) so BG could nearly draw upon everyone from that area.

Ballygunner at the moment remind me of Bayern Munich in the Bundesliga, there might be a few teams that will give it a go putting it up to them but ultimately the Gunners will come out on top!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

How long until their volume of numbers and the fact that they won't have enough teams will lead to a forming of a new club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

KissMeArse wrote: »
    Yeah pretty much those areas around the eastern side of the city on the Dunmore road where there is a sizeable population. Even extending out to Dunmore itself. If you were to draw an imaginary line from Tramore up to Ardkeen hospital, there are just two hurling clubs east of that line (BG and Passage) so BG could nearly draw upon everyone from that area.

Ballygunner at the moment remind me of Bayern Munich in the Bundesliga, there might be a few teams that will give it a go putting it up to them but ultimately the Gunners will come out on top!
    that's sounds more like a district team rather than a club pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭willbeuptuesday

As Ballygunner are about to sleepwalk their way to a 7 in a row (Please don't argue that they will be stopped because they will win pulling up). Is it time that Gaultier went on their own at both codes. Why you may ask? These are my arguments
    1. Gaultier will never win a senior Football (Full stop) they are at the beck and call of Ballygunner and Passage and as a result they can never prepare properly. The competitiveness of their underage only highlights the inability of the club to compete at senior. Why can't they compete? Because the other two clubs won't allow them to.
    2. Ballygunner have too big a pick, if you take the last 10 years for example, how many players have gone through the Ballygunner juvenile system (at a guess 30 at each age group (just guessing) U6,7,8,9,10.11,12, 13, 15, 17 so that's 10x30=300x10 years=3000. Now where are all these hurlers?
    3. If Gaultier were to go it alone they would obliviously be asking current members to choose a club and would in all likeliness loose some serious talent. But in the long run they would pick up a lot of disillusioned hurlers who would be encourage to play both codes and thus making them stronger in the long run. It would take a decade for them to establish themselves in hurling but having total control over your own panel will allow them to compete properly and I guarantee you that they would win more at adult level than they are now.
    4. This would add another competitive club to into the mix which would be good for Waterford Gaa in the long run .

Just an thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

thesultan wrote: »
    How long until their volume of numbers and the fact that they won't have enough teams will lead to a forming of a new club.

they have 3 mens teams and i dont know if that includes junior b, their seconds nearly made senior last year no fear on them not catering to the numbers.

also have facilites that wil some counties blush, have spent millions on their setup all weather p[itches 4 pitches big clubhouse, i think they are working towards a second all weather pitch too .

like my posts about tramore, passage could use some investment and parish rule to break it up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

they have 3 mens teams and i dont know if that includes junior b, their seconds nearly made senior last year no fear on them not catering to the numbers.

also have facilites that wil some counties blush, have spent millions on their setup all weather p[itches 4 pitches big clubhouse, i think they are working towards a second all weather pitch too .

like my posts about tramore, passage could use some investment and parish rule to break it up

He means there won't be enough underage teams for players to get a run meaning they'll be looking for other clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tommylad1212

They have 3 adult teams this year senior, intermediate, junior A, wanted to put in a 4th team.in junior B ,just to late putting it into the board, so looks like next year will have 4 adult teams, gaultier have 3 adult football teams this year,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Fairly confident of a Ballyduff win this weekend :D:D:D (ill get my coat)

Any news from the Waterford camp about players coming back for training etc ??

They are three teams in age groups. 60 players. Such a volume of players can't all play adult. I take it Passage are getting some off it. (have they three adult teams).
    I thought the only team to rattle them would be Lismore but they got hammered..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Is there a Munster/AI club championship this year? If so, when is that supposed to be run off and who do the Waterford champions meet? Assuming there is, you'd imagine BG will be chomping at the bit to win Munster after last years slip up to Borrisoleigh (that's obviously if they win the county first which they most definitely will).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Cake Man wrote: »
    Is there a Munster/AI club championship this year? If so, when is that supposed to be run off and who do the Waterford champions meet? Assuming there is, you'd imagine BG will be chomping at the bit to win Munster after last years slip up to Borrisoleigh (that's obviously if they win the county first which they most definitely will).

no Munster or all Ireland club series this year unfortunately. intercounty season running from late October into December so there isn't room for it.

Cake Man wrote: »

no provincial/AI club series this season

which is a pity but no room in the calendar with the IC been in Oct/Nov/Dec (which could possibly still not happen)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tommylad1212

thesultan wrote: »
    They are three teams in age groups. 60 players. Such a volume of players can't all play adult. I take it Passage are getting some off it. (have they three adult teams).
    I thought the only team to rattle them would be Lismore but they got hammered..

Yes passage have 3 adult teams also

https://open.spotify.com/episode/62PezxM2QotfItCxCH5as9?si=CVTPl1_cQAi9vPAIN-d8Nw

Interview with Maurice near the end

He hasn't heard anything from Liam Cahill but Interesting about the phone call he got when he was dropped

Parkinson seems to not look up things correctly sometimes, there's no Provincial/AI club series this year

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

It would appear that Mount Sion, having psyched themselves up for their quarter final game against De La Salle, relaxed a little for their semi-final last Sunday. Not only were Passage really up for it, but the quality of their play was a substantial improvement on what we had seen from them to date, as if their promising group of young newcomers were coming to terms with the demands of senior hurling.

In the first quarter, Passage failed to make their dominance tell on the scoreboard. Opting for a long-ball game with wind assistance, a lot of their pucks were going astray and being mopped up by the Mount Sion defence, while at the other end they conceded a soft goal.

Michael Walsh obviously had a word at the water break, after which Passage changed style to working the ball out of defence and across the field to find players in open space. This worked really well, and we were treated to a series of excellent long range scores from them.

Apart from their long-range shooting, Passage also played a lot of good ball into their full forward line, where full forward Liam Flynn produced the game of his life. This was the latest example of a series of such performances by relative unknowns in this championship. Think of Mikey Cummins’s five points against Tallow, Paul O’Sullivan’s six points for Roanmore against Mount Sion and Oisín O’Gorman’s 1-5 for Lismore against Abbeyside. The problem has been to repeat these performances, although Cummins did have another fine game last Sunday.

With wind assistance, Mount Sion upped their game in the second half, but crucially, Passage continued to be able to create, and take, scoring chances at the other end, with John Whitty playing the role of supersub in this respect. Austin Gleeson was now exerting his authority on the game, and his extraordinary solo point in the 54th minute will live on in the memory long after the rest of this game will be forgotten.

The manner in which Gleeson was brought down several times as he threatened the Passage goal suggests that Michael Walsh’s influence extends to more than hurling skills, as this is straight out of the Kilkenny coaching manual.

Mount Sion did have the possession to save the game, but were undone by poor shooting and some bad decision-making. Thus, although Martin O’Neill had already comfortably nailed a couple of long-distance frees, for some reason Austin Gleeson decided to take one in the middle of the second half, and duly drove it wide. And it is impossible to fathom why Gleeson went for a goal from a close-in free with Mount Sion just two points down, playing with the bit between their teeth, and with several minutes left.

Nevertheless, for me, Passage deserved their win. Their attitude was superior from the throw-in, they were well-organised and well-balanced and played some good hurling, and got great leadership from the more experienced players, especially Killian Fitzgerald, Eoin Connors and Noel Connors, who was much more involved here than in previous games.

Right from the beginning of the other semi-final, it struck me that Ballygunner were playing at a higher intensity and pace than in their previous games. They were clearly taking no chances against a Lismore team that had been racking up big scores. Lismore, in turn, were unaccustomed to playing at this level and unable to adjust. The pressure they were under was reflected in a level of fumbling all over the field which we had not seen previously in this championship.

You cannot hope to beat Ballygunner unless you stop them from gaining primary possession. Once they get ball in hand, no matter where around the field, it takes just three or four passes before the opposing goal is under threat from a player in a scoring position. This means you have to win at least an equal share of rucks and puckouts.

This Lismore were unable to do. They persisted from start to finish with long puckouts and long balls out of defence. This was suicidal against a team which plays with an extra man in defence, thus allowing Philip Mahony to play the sweeping role which he executes so brilliantly. The Ballygunner defence focuses on knocking down incoming high ball and then competing for possession on the ground, relying on work rate, swarming and superb first touch to get the ball in hand. Then their trademark passing movements begin.

I felt sorry for David Prendergast who hadn’t a hope trying to cope with the pace and skill of Dessie Hutchinson who made hay from the superb supply of ball coming in from out the field. The obvious move here was to have the pacy Cárthach Daly doing the marking job with Prendergast as backup support, but this never happened.

Meanwhile, Jack Prendergast was completely unable to get on the ball up front. Surely he should have been moved back, not only to provide an extra defender, but to act as an outlet for team mates under pressure and then to use his pace to bring the ball forward with the aim of creating overlaps further upfield.

On top of all that, Maurice Shanahan was left far too long at full forward when it was clear that the tactic of hitting high balls into him was not working against one of the best man-markers in the game who always had an extra defender on hand to provide assistance. Overall, this was a tactical disaster for Lismore.

You have to hand it to Ballygunner for their irresistable combination of work rate, skill and organisation. Paddy Leavy has emerged as a key figure for them. His contribution in establishing Ballygunner’s early dominance in this game was massive. Conor Sheahan is also a vital cog in their machine in the way he gets on the ball and spreads it around. Their main potential vulnerability is a small, lightweight forward line dependent on getting ball that suits them. Last year, both Shamrocks and Borrisoleigh showed how this vulnerability can be fatal. It is hard to see Passage following suit.

By far the most absorbing game of the weekend was the Western Intermediate hurling final between Ballyduff Upper and Clashmore-Kinsalebeg. For many years now the intermediate championship, especially in the Western division, has been characterised by tight – and frequently high-scoring – contests, and this year has been no exception. Thus, in the Eastern final, Ballyduff Lower, superbly led by Calum Lyons, came with a late burst to pip Dunhill by a single point.

But even this paled by comparison with the epic encounter which materialised, and went on and on, in Fraher Field. We were treated to some excellent hurling and marvellous scores. But this was as nothing compared with the intensity and closeness of the exchanges. There was an element of the see-saw about the game, with both teams threatening at different times to take control, only to be hauled back by the opposition.

When Clashmore-Kinsalebeg went four points ahead early in extra time, one began to wonder if the extra time which Ballyduff had to go through in their semi-final was beginning to tell on them, but they managed to stabilise the situation. They were still three points down when Andrew Casey equalised with the last puck of the game. This was tough luck on Clashmore-Kinsalebeg, but then they did get a lucky goal themselves when Tadhg de Búrca’s long-range free went straight to the Ballyduff net.

The huge physical and emotional effort the two teams had invested in the game was apparent in the penalty shootout, with just seven of sixteen shots being converted. Again, Clashmore-Kinsalebeg were a bit unlucky here, with Brian O’Halloran’s converted shot being disallowed for overstepping the 20 metre line, and Paul O’Connor hitting the crossbar.

Mikey Kearney was very quiet in this game from general play. A key factor here was the tight marking of Sam Fitzgerald, a member of Waterford’s 2018 minor team. In fact, although these were two intermediate teams, by my reckoning at least 13 of the players on the pitch are playing, or have played, for the county at minor, under 20/21 or senior level.

Finally, the honour of best hurling performance over the weekend must go to Liam Ó Síothcháin, who scored an amazing 7-10 (7-7 from play) in An Ghaeltacht’s big win over Erin’s Own in the Division 3 Minor Hurling county final.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

seems like a serious incident at a game in tramore last night, an assault at the game and guards are involved now. crazy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 49 HelloHello1234

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    seems like a serious incident at a game in tramore last night, an assault at the game and guards are involved now. crazy stuff

what game was that and what happened

what game was that and what happened

I don't know, but wlr reporting that gardai are investigating an assault at tramore gaa club yesterday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

Ballygunner 6-22 Niamh Carthaigh 0- 0 in a county A under 14 final. Ballygunner must be sick there was no Feile the year. Familiar names mentioned with a Hartley MOTM and O’Sullivan and Leavy as co-captains

https://twitter.com/WaterfordGAA/status/1299711960225808386?s=19

Clonea won the Junior B last night beating Ballyduff Upper 3-17-3-12

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

It's very worrying to see a result like that in an underage A final. It means Ballygunner are miles ahead of everyone and the standard of competition and hurling in the county is probably very very low. And I'd be very surprised if Ballygunner were that much better than a host of A teams in Cork or Kilkenny.

Haven't they 17 on the tony forrestial?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Have a sneaky feeling Ballyduff will do the job today.

perfect day for hurling, going to suit Ballygunner too, fast skilful forwards with the usual quality ball into them.

could be a long afternoon for passage ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Have a sneaky feeling Ballyduff will do the job today.

Good article in the examiner yesterday about the confusion between both parishes even through they’re 50 miles apart. the funniest story was a few years back a bus load of young lads from a Waterford city club showed up at Ballyduff upper gaa pitch for an underage football game only to be told they were at the wrong Ballyduff :D

Good article in the examiner yesterday about the confusion between both parishes even through they’re 50 miles apart. the funniest story was a few years back a bus load of young lads from a Waterford city club showed up at Ballyduff upper gaa pitch for an underage football game only to be told they were at the wrong Ballyduff :D

Yeah linked it here yesterday, great article

County final day but very different circumstances. Ballygunner by 10

Ballyduff Upper for the intermediate after extra time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Is today’s final definitely live on tg4?

Is today’s final definitely live on tg4?

yep

pitch looks great in fairness

Ballygunner walzing through this final

Some team

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Passage awful today. 5 points in total after 3/4 of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Well with ballygunner winning the under 14 county final yesterday by 6-22 to 0-0, they will be doing the next seven in a row as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Ballygunnar are a good team but the standard of hurling in Waterford is poor. The skill is good, the physicality is non existent. Passage are a good intermediate team and no more.

The intermediate and junior championships are more competitive at the min

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

KevIRL wrote: »
    Well with ballygunner winning the under 14 county final yesterday by 6-22 to 0-0, they will be doing the next seven in a row as well

They seem to have it well figured out, in fairness they haven't become one of the top teams in the country overnight, it has been as a result of years of hard graft, fair play to them another 7 might not be a bad bet.

They seem to have it well figured out, in fairness they haven't become one of the top teams in the country overnight, it has been as a result of years of hard graft, fair play to them another 7 might not be a bad bet.

9 in a row is the record to beat, both Erins Own and Mount Sion done that

Very possible BG will

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

Ballygunner can only beat what's in front of them. They are up there with the best in Munster but physically not quite good enough to win a club all Ireland whenever the next one is . The more dessie plays at a higher level the better he will get . I think Kevin Mahony could develop in to a good inter county player . Conor Sheehan is a lovely player to watch too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

PTH2009 wrote: »
    9 in a row is the record to beat, both Erins Own and Mount Sion done that

Very possible BG will

10 in a row, and then they'll be looking at Mount Sions' overall 35

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Tiger Roll wrote: »
    Ballygunner can only beat what's in front of them. They are up there with the best in Munster but physically not quite good enough to win a club all Ireland whenever the next one is . The more dessie plays at a higher level the better he will get . I think Kevin Mahony could develop in to a good inter county player . Conor Sheehan is a lovely player to watch too.

Ah they certainly could be capable of winning an all Ireland. They haven't yet but they are improving, they were unlucky last year and look even better this year.

County players overall quite good in the championships

Cant wait for the championship (if it happens at all)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

The intermediate game was an incredible spectacle. Well needed after the disappointing senior game. Inter county men M Kearney with 20 points (9 from play) and C Lyons with 7 points (4 from play) both standing out

The intermediate game was an incredible spectacle. Well needed after the disappointing senior game. Inter county men M Kearney with 20 points (9 from play) and C Lyons with 7 points (4 from play) both standing out

God can't wait for the championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I can't remember Ballyduff Upper even having a wide in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Deiselurker

The senior final was as one sided as everyone feared. No-one is getting near Ballygunner in Waterford and too much dominance by one team makes for a boring county championship. Ballygunner are a very well run club and have a huge population to pick from and are dominating at underage level too so hard to see when their success will end. The intermediate and junior championships are more exciting at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Seen a comment elsewhere that ballygunners pick would be bigger than the rest of east Waterford clubs combined, would that be an exaggeration?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Seen a comment elsewhere that ballygunners pick would be bigger than the rest of east Waterford clubs combined, would that be an exaggeration?

some going if they can field 30 teams at each age group.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement