Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

JesusRef wrote: »
    I think not meeting the player group is a mistake from Fanning, most people if asked to name the 2019 extended panel would come up with a lot of the same names so why is he afraid to meet with them?
    Because he doesn't want to concede anything and show them who is boss.. an approach that simple won't work with a team like Waterford as players will just say F*ck it and take of travelling.

Comparing Gavin and Cody's approach to a Waterford manager is not a good comparison, both can do whatever they like as players will for the main stay on board as if not they are walking away from the chance of 2, 3, 4 AI medals

What do you want him to do? Go in and meet the players cap in hand? If he’s refusing to meet the players before being ratified then good luck to him. Jim Gavin and Jim McGuinness are just two names off the top of my head that waited until they were confirmed as manager of Dublin and Donegal before setting up any meetings with their respective panels. Gavin brought something like 70 players to his first meeting. He announced what they were looking for for the year, told the players that the management team would be looking at a huge number of players and that the league and championship squad would be finalized once they were happy that a sufficient amount of players had been looked at.

I think not wanting to meet the panel of players from 2018 is a good move from Fanning if he is to be confirmed as the manager. Let him get the job, sort out what he wants to do and then meet the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

http://munster.gaa.ie/fixtures/senior/

2019 championship fixtures

Weekend of 12th May- vs Clare
    Weekend of 19th May- vs Tipp (Thurles)
    Weekend of 26th May or 3rd June- vs Limerick
    Weekend of 9th June- vs Cork (PUC)
    Weekend of 16th June- bye

So another balls of a setup for us with us out consecutive weekends in a row again

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

PTH2009 wrote: »
    http://munster.gaa.ie/fixtures/senior/

2019 championship fixtures

Weekend of 12th May- vs Clare
    Weekend of 19th May- vs Tipp (Thurles)
    Weekend of 26th May or 3rd June- vs Limerick
    Weekend of 9th June- vs Cork (PUC)
    Weekend of 16th June- bye

So another balls of a setup for us with us out consecutive weekends in a row again

The only team with three weekends on the trot have to face the all Ireland champions in their third weekend out.

Edit: oh wait I see there's an option to play the fixture on one of two weekends. Pack up the pitchforks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Mulbert

People here have a problem with someone who is not the manager, not meeting a a squad of players that don't exist?

That's Boards, Waterford Gaa forum at it's finest.

Mulbert wrote: »
    People here have a problem with someone who is not the manager, not meeting a a squad of players that don't exist?

Remember how hardball worked out for Davy in Clare. They'd just won an all ireland too, and didn't win a championship match for 3 years (excluding qualifiers) and didn't play in croker again until this year.

You lads can simplify it as much as you want but any half decent manager would try to start the ball rolling with at least an attempt at unity with the outgoing panel.

• Advertisement

He's not the manager.

puzl wrote: »

Remember how hardball worked out for Davy in Clare. They'd just won an all ireland too, and didn't win a championship match for 3 years (excluding qualifiers) and didn't play in croker again until this year.

You lads can simplify it as much as you want but any half decent manager would try to start the ball rolling with at least an attempt at unity with the outgoing panel.

I hope to God the next manager plays hard ball and gets sacked after Waterford win the AI. That would do grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

I hope to God the next manager plays hard ball and gets sacked after Waterford win the AI. That would do grand.

Or get sacked before winning it. There can be only One.

inph0231359.jpg

Eastern intermediate hurling semi finals
    Butlerstown 0-18- St Mollerans 0-12
    Erins own 1-16- Dunhill 1-06

Western intermediate semi final between Clashmore and Ardmore takes place tonight at 7pm. Winner faces Ballysaggart in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Western intermediate semi final between Clashmore and Ardmore takes place tonight at 7pm. Winner faces Ballysaggart in the final

Clonea beat Ballyduff Lower in the semi final. Clonea vs Erin’s Own in the Eastern final. Butlerstown Mollerans was junior I believe. Great win for Erin’s Own!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Clonea beat Ballyduff Lower in the semi final. Clonea vs Erin’s Own in the Eastern final. Butlerstown Mollerans was junior I believe. Great win for Erin’s Own!

I think the last two posts show how up to date posters on this page are on the local club scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Simo08

Butlerstown beat mollerans in the intermediate relegation semi final

Bit of a surprise Erin's own beating dunhill by so much.

Fancy a clonea v ballysaggart county final, although wouldn't discount ardmore they have years of experience and seem to be coming into form.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Simo08 wrote: »
    Butlerstown beat mollerans in the intermediate relegation semi final

Bit of a surprise Erin's own beating dunhill by so much.

Fancy a clonea v ballysaggart county final, although wouldn't discount ardmore they have years of experience and seem to be coming into form.

I wouldn't discount Erin's Own, Mick Mahony has these lads well organised.

Clonea haven't really beat anybody yet and Ballyduff lower are a poor outfit an also had a man sent off early on.

Either way the west lads will prevail in County final I think it would be great to see an all county Premier intermediate in our tiny little county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Simo08

I wouldn't discount Erin's Own, Mick Mahony has these lads well organised.

Clonea haven't really beat anybody yet and Ballyduff lower are a poor outfit an also had a man sent off early on.

Either way the west lads will prevail in County final I think it would be great to see an all county Premier intermediate in our tiny little county.

Admittedly I haven't seen too much of Erin's own so you could be right. Clonea been strong for a few years now.

Agree 100% on all county intermediate, senseless to have it split east and west. Would bring the whole standard up. Attended good few very one sided lacklustre eastern group games this year. Teams like fenor, mollerans etc would be better off at junior, they would strengthen that division up too.

Typo on the website

Was Fanning and his management team at the games yesterday ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Where are St. Mollerans from? Never heard of that club / name....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

MfMan wrote: »
    Where are St. Mollerans from? Never heard of that club / name....

Carrickbeg, just outside Carrick on Suir.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tommylad1212

It was intermediate relegation semi

Western Intermediate Semi final result- Clashmore 0-20- Ardmore 1-12

Senior Hurling
    Semi finals
    De La salle vs Abbeyside- Sat 22nd Sep
    Ballygunner vs Passage- Sun 23rd Sep
    Final- Sun 7th Oct/Sun 14th Oct
    Munster QF- vs Cork Champs (Blackrock, UCC or Midleton)- Sun 28th Oct (waterford venue), Winners play Clare champs at a home venue on the 4th Nov in the semis

Intermediate Hurling
    Eastern Final- Clonea vs Erins Own
    Western Final- Ballysaggart vs Clashmore
    County Final- Clonea or Erins Own vs Ballysaggart or Clashmore
    Munster QF- vs Limerick Champs- Sun 28th Oct (waterford venue), winners play Clare Champs at a home venue in the semis

Junior Hurling (A)
    Eastern Final- Ballydurn vs Tramore- Sun 23rd Sep (WIT Carriginore)
    Western Semi finals- Colligan vs Tourin, Ballinameela vs St Marys
    County Final- Ballydurn/Tramore vs Western Winners
    Munster Semi final- vs Limerick champs/Kerry Intermediate Reps- 17th Nov

Junior B and C results/fixtures on Waterfordgaa.ie

Pat Gilroy steps down in Dublin and the replacement will prob be a man we approached who almost the job Matty Kenny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Pat Gilroy steps down in Dublin and the replacement will prob be a man we approached who almost the job Matty Kenny
    Kenny went for that job last year but they didn't give it to him, opting instead for a man with no hurling experience, so if I was him Id tell them where to shove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Gardner

Ballyduff upper have beaten Ring in the senior relegation final. Ring must be sick of winning the intermediate and coming straight back down. That’s 3 times in the past 10 years

rightly after been promoted you should be exempt from relegation the following season. it will stop the yo yo affect and it will give clubs at least 2 years within the grade to setup a structure within their club to survive and progress.

As for intermediate, went to the Eastern Final as year as i had an interest in it as a potential opponent in Munster Club further down the line. Clonea gave E/O a bit of a trimming last year in Eastern Final. E/O setup that day with a sweeper (didn't play with a sweeper all year i believe) and with a player in that position who wasn't capable of doing the job or maybe a player who wasn't familiar with the position. the buck stopped with Mahoney that day and he got it wrong from the off. Clonea on the other hand never deviated from their style or setup. i believe E/O have 4/5 missing from last year due to emigration but their physical fitness left a lot to be desired last year as many players were carrying a lot of weight.. will be interesting to see if the same happens again But Clonea should run out with a win here again.

Ballysaggart vs Clonea final will be a great game from a spectators point of view. You would expect Ballysaggart to come through with the Bennett's fire power.

so the senior football and Hurling managment teams will offically be announced tonight then ???

• Registered Users Posts: 47 RichardBzero

Fanning, Murray and pa Kearney officially ratified.

Also Next years c/ships agreed as follows 13 / 15 / 17 / 19 - vote taken at co board tonight 27 for above proposal and 17 against.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Paraic Fanning ratified as Waterford senior hurling manager with James Murray & Pa Kearney as selectors

Best of luck to the new management team and hope they get us over the line. Players choice if they want to commit or not. Honestly was hoping for someone better but it is what it is

Cant wait for Jan and we see what way we play/whos on the panel etc

Whats that about the championships ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Who's Pa Kearney again? Name familiar but hadn't heard his name mentioned before now.

Who's Pa Kearney again? Name familiar but hadn't heard his name mentioned before now.

ex panel member who was unfortunatly in a car accident and he had to reitre but went on to become a coach. Deserves 100% respect from all players and supporters

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/erins-own-coach-pa-kearney-i-had-broken-my-back-and-was-unable-to-walk-424813.html

• Registered Users Posts: 47 RichardBzero

Best of luck to the new management team and hope they get us over the line. Players choice if they want to commit or not. Honestly was hoping for someone better but it is what it is

Cant wait for Jan and we see what way we play/whos on the panel etc

Whats that about the championships ???

Under 14,16 and 18 have been scrapped and the new county championships as above. Kilkenny, Wexford already adopted it last year as it coincides with intercounty ages. It’s being said that all counties will be also doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Best of luck to new Mgmt

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

Best of luck is right. Only 47 weeks & 6 days to the AI Final!!

4 months or so until the league starts. Plenty of time to get a team in place and start to put his ideas into action. Being in 1B will be a good warmup for everyone. And by the time we get a league QF under our belt we'll start to see where we stand.

I'm already excited. Best of luck to everyone.

IanVW wrote: »
    Paraic Fanning ratified as Waterford senior hurling manager with James Murray & Pa Kearney as selectors

Best to luck to all concerned. New faces, a fresh start. Bring it on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Best to luck to all concerned. New faces, a fresh start. Bring it on
    100%

They have my full support, and my hope is that they get the bit of luck that you need when managing teams

Success won't come instantly and prob been in 1B is the right place. A loss to Laois or Carlow will not be acceptable. Remember Derek's first year in charge was a disaster. Hurling is gone so dog eat dog atm esp the Munster championship and the championship structure/calender and this is the so called golden generation of hurlers in Waterford but there's also golden generations in other county's at this time

The sad thing is some players will walk away as they prob don't feel the best management team is in place. It's fairly annoying knowing that Fanning and co are only 3rd choice and there was very good candidates approached but the CB made them turn away. We just have to get on with it and see where it takes us, hopefully up the steps of the Hogan

• Advertisement

Success won't come instantly and prob been in 1B is the right place. A loss to Laois or Carlow will not be acceptable. Remember Derek's first year in charge was a disaster. Hurling is gone so dog eat dog atm esp the Munster championship and the championship structure/calender and this is the so called golden generation of hurlers in Waterford but there's also golden generations in other county's at this time

The sad thing is some players will walk away as they prob don't feel the best management team is in place. It's fairly annoying knowing that Fanning and co are only 3rd choice and there was very good candidates approached but the CB made them turn away. We just have to get on with it and see where it takes us, hopefully up the steps of the Hogan

Utter rubbish. How do you know the reasons Kenny and Ryan didn’t take the job. Did you ask them personally?

As for players supposedly going to walk away because they don’t agree with the new management team, shame on them. Wearing the county jersey is a privelage not a right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Therustynail

Good luck to the new management. Will be an interested spectator at the club games at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Utter rubbish. How do you know the reasons Kenny and Ryan didn’t take the job. Did you ask them personally?

As for players supposedly going to walk away because they don’t agree with the new management team, shame on them. Wearing the county jersey is a privelage not a right.
    Plus "Derek,s first year in the job was a disaster" tell me how successful were the rest ?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

So after months of speculation and Comedy shows it is official - The New Management have a tough job ahead of them but they have a serious panel to work with. Derek had his methods and that appears to have involved being very close (to certain players at least) and in some cases in my opinion too close, to be truly objective, but he also won an awful lot of loyalty in adopting this approach. New Management has to decide where or not to adopt or break this approach, either way being fraught with the possibility of getting it badly wrong.

Nor sure if Paraic Fanning has the demeanor or temperament to deal with this transfer , especially from early reports but the best of luck to him. He has at this stage had plenty of experience of being around county panels, and i hope he has learned from past experiences such as his dealings with the Eoin Kelly situation , in fairness to him he was a lot younger at that time and was being greatly influenced by more Senior figures at the time.

Derek spoke frequently about making memories, to my mind there is no greater memory for a Senior hurler than success in an All Ireland Final and players must believe that also - forget about holidays etc.., these things will come with success.

I am really interested in his Selector panel, Pa Kearney being a very interesting choice. He should bring a very young dynamic to it, and I think also the fact that his promising career was cut short in such dramatic fashion could serve as an inspiration to this panel to "seize the moment"

James Murray always comes across to me as a very grounded and intelligent individual and could just be the perfect foil for what appears to be Fanning's more abrasive character. Maybe those that know him better might have a different opinion

They were not my first choice by a long-shot but now that they are in situ, I am intrigued with how things will develop and they have my full support. - Best of Luck to them

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Deisefacts

blueflame wrote: »
    So after months of speculation and Comedy shows it is official - The New Management have a tough job ahead of them but they have a serious panel to work with. Derek had his methods and that appears to have involved being very close (to certain players at least) and in some cases in my opinion too close, to be truly objective, but he also won an awful lot of loyalty in adopting this approach. New Management has to decide where or not to adopt or break this approach, either way being fraught with the possibility of getting it badly wrong.

Nor sure if Paraic Fanning has the demeanor or temperament to deal with this transfer , especially from early reports but the best of luck to him. He has at this stage had plenty of experience of being around county panels, and i hope he has learned from past experiences such as his dealings with the Eoin Kelly situation , in fairness to him he was a lot younger at that time and was being greatly influenced by more Senior figures at the time.

Derek spoke frequently about making memories, to my mind there is no greater memory for a Senior hurler than success in an All Ireland Final and players must believe that also - forget about holidays etc.., these things will come with success.

I am really interested in his Selector panel, Pa Kearney being a very interesting choice. He should bring a very young dynamic to it, and I think also the fact that his promising career was cut short in such dramatic fashion could serve as an inspiration to this panel to "seize the moment"

James Murray always comes across to me as a very grounded and intelligent individual and could just be the perfect foil for what appears to be Fanning's more abrasive character. Maybe those that know him better might have a different opinion

They were not my first choice by a long-shot but now that they are in situ, I am intrigued with how things will develop and they have my full support. - Best of Luck to them

Best assessment of seen so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Dan Shanahan will be missed.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

"Do you think they made the seats small enough?" - James Murray, overheard in Páirc Uí Ceausescu.

I like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

Xenophile wrote: »
    Dan Shanahan will be missed.

Really or humour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jimbobbubbly

A lot of players from the so called 'players committee' are extremely unhappy about the appointment and apparently 8/9 players talking about retirement/year out. I find that disgraceful to be honest. If Derek was still there they would all be mad to get back training. Mastermcgrath nail on the head it should be a privilege not a right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I think its time for a "Secret Hurler " ......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

A lot of players from the so called 'players committee' are extremely unhappy about the appointment and apparently 8/9 players talking about retirement/year out. I find that disgraceful to be honest. If Derek was still there they would all be mad to get back training. Mastermcgrath nail on the head it should be a privilege not a right.

A year out? Shur they just had one.... gone out of the championship since mid June there should be no excuses. Barring Brick Walsh who has earned his retirement, it will be very poor taste if any of these players come out now and announce retirement in light of this appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

A year out? Shur they just had one.... gone out of the championship since mid June there should be no excuses. Barring Brick Walsh who has earned his retirement, it will be very poor taste if any of these players come out now and announce retirement in light of this appointment.

its all ifs buts and maybes.

But if they aren't happy, the question has to be asked why aren't they happy?

and its back on the good old CB again.

Shane Bennett took "time out" as did Tom Devine. Were they pillered in the way its being suggested on here if others did the same?

christ that would be a disaster esp if there high profile players

If its 1 or 2 conspiring than i dont knw what to think

IMO Fanning should of meet the players and discuseed things but then again maybe he has his own plans

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

We are some county to start rumours! The man isn't even in the job 24 hours and we have it that 8/9 players are taking time off and retiring! Pure and utter lies!

Give the men a chance and let them start totally fresh! As far as any new manager and backroom team are concerned, their first job is to pick a panel which hasn't even been picked and people are saying players are ruling themselves out, it's just ridiculous!

It's unfair on the new management and puts negative vibes out to supporters about them and it's unfair on potential players who the rumours are about! Just let the man settle into his position instead of starting all the BS rumours!

I want to wish both the hurling and football management the best for the years ahead. It won't be a one year project for either as seen with Michéal Donoghue and John Kiely but hopefully we will see an All-Ireland within Fanning's tenure and a promotion to Division 3 for the footballers in the upcoming years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

I don’t know much about the new manager, other than what I read about him (which isn’t an awful lot really).

He is described as ‘abrasive’ in one post ; is that code for a boll***s or does it mean he’s his own man.

You couldn’t say that Cody and Loughnane are not abrasive and it hasn’t done those counties any harm.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement