Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Let's be clear on one thing - there will absolutely be a turnover of players this year, as there is most years.

Any player who wants to drop off the panel should be thanked for their service to the county. There is a huge physical, emotional, financial and time commitment made by every player and their families in order for them to tog out for the county team. If they decide to take a step back, either temporary or permanent, we should absolutely accept that.

There will also be lads who, for whatever reason, aren't selected on the panel for 2019. This will be the decision of the management team, who ultimately know far more regarding that decision than anybody outside of the camp.

Waterford supporters should expect inevitable changes that come with a new management and be patient during the league. As another poster pointed out, Derek McGrath's first year was very challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

Yes I agree with hardbuck. If players choose to step down, for whatever reason, who are we to judge. The committment is absolutely immense and any given individual must be able to set their own terms for such an endeavour.

Let us just hope that these are just rumours and not too many will choose to go that route, but if they do, then I for one will thank them for their service to our county and not say a bad word about any of them.

I also don't think it is a privilege to play for Waterford. That is far too simplistic. These guys have to put so much on hold to reach the standards required. Personal lives, careers, opportunities to travel, missing out on all of the various aspects of a carefree young lad. All of these are put on hold to compete at the pinnacle of hurling. So it is a two way street. We are priviliged to have their service, as they no doubt feel privileged to wear the jersey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

blueflame wrote: »
    So after months of speculation and Comedy shows it is official - The New Management have a tough job ahead of them but they have a serious panel to work with. Derek had his methods and that appears to have involved being very close (to certain players at least) and in some cases in my opinion too close, to be truly objective, but he also won an awful lot of loyalty in adopting this approach. New Management has to decide where or not to adopt or break this approach, either way being fraught with the possibility of getting it badly wrong.

Nor sure if Paraic Fanning has the demeanor or temperament to deal with this transfer , especially from early reports but the best of luck to him. He has at this stage had plenty of experience of being around county panels, and i hope he has learned from past experiences such as his dealings with the Eoin Kelly situation , in fairness to him he was a lot younger at that time and was being greatly influenced by more Senior figures at the time.

Derek spoke frequently about making memories, to my mind there is no greater memory for a Senior hurler than success in an All Ireland Final and players must believe that also - forget about holidays etc.., these things will come with success.

I am really interested in his Selector panel, Pa Kearney being a very interesting choice. He should bring a very young dynamic to it, and I think also the fact that his promising career was cut short in such dramatic fashion could serve as an inspiration to this panel to "seize the moment"

James Murray always comes across to me as a very grounded and intelligent individual and could just be the perfect foil for what appears to be Fanning's more abrasive character. Maybe those that know him better might have a different opinion

They were not my first choice by a long-shot but now that they are in situ, I am intrigued with how things will develop and they have my full support. - Best of Luck to them

They wouldnt have been first choice for a lot of people especially considering the number of high profile ex players around. I do hope the squad rallies behind them and give them a chance because there was no progress this year after an All Ireland final appearance the year before. Not blaming Derek and Dan etc because a lot went against them with injuries, no home games etc. But after Limerick this year Waterford must make the breakthrough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

puzl wrote: »
    Yes I agree with hardbuck. If players choose to step down, for whatever reason, who are we to judge. The committment is absolutely immense and any given individual must be able to set their own terms for such an endeavour.

Let us just hope that these are just rumours and not too many will choose to go that route, but if they do, then I for one will thank them for their service to our county and not say a bad word about any of them.

I also don't think it is a privilege to play for Waterford. That is far too simplistic. These guys have to put so much on hold to reach the standards required. Personal lives, careers, opportunities to travel, missing out on all of the various aspects of a carefree young lad. All of these are put on hold to compete at the pinnacle of hurling. So it is a two way street. We are priviliged to have their service, as they no doubt feel privileged to wear the jersey

I know players put a lot on hold but it is not a one way system. I am very familiar with a county player who has got an awful lot out of the game, success in competitions, travel to Dubai, U.S.A. Far East Australia etc as part of team holidays, All Stars, a media profile at local and national level which is financially rewarding. He deserves it for the work put in and would do it all again despite the commitment required and a few nasty injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Best of luck to the new management team. Obviously they were far from the first choice for the job but they’re there now and deserve nothing but support from players, the county board and supporters.

The new appointment will bring added attention to the county in 2019 and playing in 1B will be a blessing I think. Hopefully the lads chalk up a few wins and confidence starts to build. It doesn’t matter what level the opposition are at. Winning games brings confidence to the whole set up and nothing can top winning a competitive game whether it’s at u10, minor or senior level. Fanning will know he has to prove a point and knowing the way he is he’ll give it everything. I’m delighted the job has gone to a Waterford man, a man who knows what it’s like to play for the county and his success with Mt Sion as a player can’t be forgotten as success adds something to a player/manager. I’m relieved all the rumours and the talking have finally been put to bed and now the management team have plenty of time to get themselves sorted out in terms of picking a panel, getting their game plan together and most importantly setting out their ambitions for the coming year. Whatever way we look at it, there’s plenty to look forward to in the new year and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Edgware wrote: »
    I know players put a lot on hold but it is not a one way system. I am very familiar with a county player who has got an awful lot out of the game, success in competitions, travel to Dubai, U.S.A. Far East Australia etc as part of team holidays, All Stars, a media profile at local and national level which is financially rewarding. He deserves it for the work put in and would do it all again despite the commitment required and a few nasty injuries.

Glad you put up this post.

Nobody who thinks that they are making a sacrifice should be on the field.

We always chose our best option.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »

This is the point though. Should they choose to step aside, for whatever reason, we should accept it and wish them the best of luck.

Should they choose to stay on, if asked to do so, we should support them like we always do.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

So right!

Imagine any hurler from Cork, Tipp, Kilkenny Galway etc trying to take over the team!

For God's sake, it should be an honour to wear the Waterford jersey!

If any of the former pets have an issue let them walk or else fight for their place which at least six of them never had to in the last five years.

We all know the guys who are making the noise, are they Waterford guys or just McGrath guys?

Hopefully now we'll have a management team who picks the best team!

Good luck to the three of them. If they're straight that's all we want!

Deise Gael wrote: »

So right!

Imagine any hurler from Cork, Tipp, Kilkenny Galway etc trying to take over the team!

If any of the former pets have an issue let them walk or else fight for their place which at least six of them never had to in the last five years.

We all know the guys who are making the noise, are they Waterford guys or just McGrath guys?

I’m sorry but are you forgetting that Cork went on strike twice and effectively held their Co Board to ransom..twice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Mulbert

Motivator wrote: »
    Deise Gael wrote: »

So right!

I’m sorry but are you forgetting that Cork went on strike twice and effectively held their Co Board to ransom..twice

Don't forget the Galway lads ran Cunningham!

Motivator wrote: »

Well they did what they considered to be what was their best option, which is their right.

In many ways it heralded the demise of Cork football.

Maybe the hurlers are on the way back but they seem to be a long way of the pace for a county with a great hurling tradition.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

I'm wondering whether this thread is an ongoing case study of the Dunning–Kruger effect. No amount of being proven wrong seems to deter some posters, aided by being able to phoenix as a new user so they can regurgitate the same tired nonsense. Lamentable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

This will be discussed on the Terraces throe whole of 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Barry coughlan retired this morning... lets hope its not the start of a mass exodus. young man too, 28 is all

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/waterford-full-back-barry-coughlan-retires-after-six-years-of-duty-870034.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

This will be discussed on the Terraces throe whole of 2019.

"Didn't he play corner forward for Modeligo during their run to the Munster Junior title back in 2014?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Barry coughlan retired this morning... lets hope its not the start of a mass exodus. young man too, 28 is all

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/waterford-full-back-barry-coughlan-retires-after-six-years-of-duty-870034.html

Thanks for the service Best of luck to him

Scary reading about more players are expected to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

I think you are going to see it more and more that fellas of 28 or 29 retiring. The expectation on county players in terms of time is ridiculous.

I worked with a fella on a county panel (not Waterford) and he was wrecked from the driving on top of the intensity of training.

Best of luck to Barry in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Paddy joe on wlr today saying we will play home games in Waterford next year. "Fraher field or forget it" was how he put it. Will be interesting to see how that goes but it's hard to see the Fraher field hosting the all Ireland champions may/June in a massive championship game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Paddy joe on wlr today saying we will play home games in Waterford next year. "Fraher field or forget it" was how he put it. Will be interesting to see how that goes but it's hard to see the Fraher field hosting the all Ireland champions may/June in a massive championship game

Kildare have set the issue with the playing of their game in Newbridge. But i'd agree Dungarvan is not suitable for games of that level, the crowds would be really big

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/allgaa.com/walsh-park-host-shc-games-first-time-22-years/amp/

He said the same last year and look what happened, full of s***

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Didn't the same man say the same last year about the games being played in Walsh Park and we saw how that turned out

Yeah it's the reality now players are retiring earlier and it's just the way it is. It's only a hobbie at the end of the day

Really hope we don't lose TDB, Aussie, SOKY, Barron, all the Bennett's, Patrick Curren and Noel Connors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Didn't the same man say the same last year about the games being played in Walsh Park and we saw how that turned out

Yeah it's the reality now players are retiring earlier and it's just the way it is. It's only a hobbie at the end of the day

Really hope we don't lose TDB, Aussie, SOKY, Barron, all the Bennett's, Patrick Curren and Noel Connors.

Are you worried we won't be able to field a team next season PTH?

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/allgaa.com/walsh-park-host-shc-games-first-time-22-years/amp/

He said the same last year and look what happened, full of s***

You are right to be sceptical of Paddy Joe's ability to walk the walk. Still, it's good to see them setting out their stall early. If Cusack Park with its one-in-one-out toilet block is good enough then so is Fraher Field, and let the Munster Council do their worst.

deiseach wrote: »
    You are right to be sceptical of Paddy Joe's ability to walk the walk. Still, it's good to see them setting out their stall early. If Cusack Park with its one-in-one-out toilet block is good enough then so is Fraher Field, and let the Munster Council do their worst.

Ah it really isn't though. The grass banks are a health and safety disaster.

I'd be amazed if the game is allowed to go ahead in Fraher, but I do agree with it in principle.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Ah it really isn't though. The grass banks are a health and safety disaster.

I'd be amazed if the game is allowed to go ahead in Fraher, but I do agree with it in principle.

Oh, I'm certain they won't want it to take place and they'll invoke 'health and safety', even though it was good enough to host a crowd of 6,635 in 2009. Trimming that crowd to 6,000 as was done with Newbridge for the Kildare-Mayo game should be perfectly reasonable, but the dignity of the Munster championship can't cope with playing in such a venue yet seems to be able to cope very well with a similar crowd rattling around in a 40,000 capacity venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Oh, I'm certain they won't want it to take place and they'll invoke 'health and safety', even though it was good enough to host a crowd of 6,635 in 2009. Trimming that crowd to 6,000 as was done with Newbridge for the Kildare-Mayo game should be perfectly reasonable, but the dignity of the Munster championship can't cope with playing in such a venue yet seems to be able to cope very well with a similar crowd rattling around in a 40,000 capacity venue.

It's an interesting argument in light of events this year. Paddy joe said the club's will make the decision whether we push for Fraher field or not. What newbridge has shown is that the gaa cannot take away home advantage, though they may wish to.

So if we as county decide we are going to play at Fraher field, with health and safety reducing the capacity to 5 or 6 thousand, how can they stop us? Interesting to see how it develops.

It's an interesting argument in light of events this year. Paddy joe said the club's will make the decision whether we push for Fraher field or not. What newbridge has shown is that the gaa cannot take away home advantage, though they may wish to.

So if we as county decide we are going to play at Fraher field, with health and safety reducing the capacity to 5 or 6 thousand, how can they stop us? Interesting to see how it develops.

Well that's a complete cop out. Why should this be down to the clubs? Show some bloody leadership, man!

Well that's a complete cop out. Why should this be down to the clubs? Show some bloody leadership, man!

this is the start of the wheels being turned on building a stadium down the west as opposed to in the city. Watch this space.

Patrick joseph had this on his radar a long time now....

furthermore on the above, fck the clubs making a call, load of geriatric representatives be falling asleep at county board meetings.

the senior mgr / panel should decide which pitch gives them the greatest advantage. Nowlan park one of widest in country that should suit us. It would also be identical to a home game.

furthermore on the above, fck the clubs making a call, load of geriatric representatives be falling asleep at county board meetings.

the senior mgr / panel should decide which pitch gives them the greatest advantage. Nowlan park one of widest in country that should suit us. It would also be identical to a home game.

Nowlan Park doesn’t suit Waterford very well at all. Two wins in the league up there - Tipp and Kilkenny - and I dunno how many defeats, some by big margins. Wexford ‘03 and Wexford in ‘14 are the last two championship games we’ve played there as far as I know and we were beaten in both. We’ve also shipped a couple of big defeats up there. I wouldn’t be happy to us play our games there at all.

• Advertisement

this is the start of the wheels being turned on building a stadium down the west as opposed to in the city. Watch this space.

Patrick joseph had this on his radar a long time now....

That won’t happen.

The Slattery Report which came out in 2011 slashed the capacities of nearly every provincial ground. If they got 6,635 in then they'd probably be allowed maybe 4-5k now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

It amazes me, as an outsider, how Waterford seem almost desparate to throw away home advantage for some hypersensitivity over their less than stellar home stadiums. There is no health and safety issue that can't be realistically dealt with prior notice. FFS they couldn't boil water in Cusack Pk as it kept tripping the whole electric system in the stadium. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

You don’t really understand the gaa, do you?

Would you like to develop on that? Or are you just happy to make a sweeping statement?

5-6k in fraher vs 20k in nowlan park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

It amazes me, as an outsider, how Waterford seem almost desparate to throw away home advantage for some hypersensitivity over their less than stellar home stadiums. There is no health and safety issue that can't be realistically dealt with prior notice. FFS they couldn't boil water in Cusack Pk as it kept tripping the whole electric system in the stadium. :D

This thread - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056900592 - would suggest that the biggest health and safety issue that might arise would be rain. Then again we might see a repeat of the heatwave conditions we had for this year's football qualifier against Monaghan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

This thread - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056900592 - would suggest that the biggest health and safety issue that might arise would be rain. Then again we might see a repeat of the heatwave conditions we had for this year's football qualifier against Monaghan

The retirement of BC has definately improved the H&S standards. :pac:

So long Barry, and thanks for all the great memories and immense service to team and fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

I dunno why supporters are adamant in ensuring we don't get tickets for our home games. Nowlan Park the logical choice, once theres some co-ordination and compensation to Kilkenny/Leinster Council I see no reason why not to have the games there.

If they can have an Ulster final in Croke Park and Galway playing home games in Leinster then surely Waterford playing over the road will be no issue under the circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

The retirement of BC has definately improved the H&S standards. :pac:

😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

So long Barry, and thanks for all the great memories and immense service to team and fans.

Like any player that has given service to the cause great credit goes to them for their time and effort. Great memories? That might be stretching it a bit!!
    I wonder will we play the sweeper system now that we will have to go with a new fullback? Conor Gleeson is ready made for the position or Conor Prunty and push Gleeson to the corner if Shane Fives retires. Connors(If he stays) probably has one more year left in him and with a half back line of Tadgh Darragh and Aussie we’ll be well set up going forward. Shane Bennett and Barron could be a great pairing at midfield also. Loads of options for the year ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

KevIRL wrote: »
    Are you worried we won't be able to field a team next season PTH?

I better dust off my hurley so from the sounds of it by the doomsayers. My commute from Dublin to training a couple of times a week will be tough for me with work been mad for the next few months with expansion plans and I'm in college at weekends so I can't do the weekends away where we discuss tactics but I'll give it a go and I'll hit the odd ball if needs be.

Do I need my preferred positions somewhere on here :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

cul beag wrote: »

Like any player that has given service to the cause great credit goes to them for their time and effort. Great memories? That might be stretching it a bit!!
    I wonder will we play the sweeper system now that we will have to go with a new fullback? Conor Gleeson is ready made for the position or Conor Prunty and push Gleeson to the corner if Shane Fives retires. Connors(If he stays) probably has one more year left in him and with a half back line of Tadgh Darragh and Aussie we’ll be well set up going forward. Shane Bennett and Barron could be a great pairing at midfield also. Loads of options for the year ahead.
    I think that Conor Gleeson has proven he is up there with the beast backs in the country, certainly he looked like he would make a fantastic Full back but my only worry would be his size (but to be fair nothing in his tenacious play so far has shown that to be a problem), Prunty is a beast and could be a great option, the rest of your selections I would agree with also.
    Lots to come from Waterford if we get all players to commit.... here's hoping..
    On the sweeper system, based on observations of fanning's recent management jobs at club level, I think he will definitely be going with a Sweeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭914

Paddy Joe also stated last year that the clubs would make the decision on walsh park.

Amazing that WP could have held 8k last year, and faher we're looking at 2-3k less and he is fighting to play at home this year.

The mind boggles and he has just highlighted their lack of fight last year.

I hope they stick to their guns, if its 5-6k so be it, home advantage is home advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

In a way its the end of an era with Coughlans retirement, he’s the last of the old school hatchet-man full backs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

914 wrote: »

I hope they stick to their guns, if its 5-6k so be it, home advantage is home advantage

+1 Having home games in the likes of Limerick contributed to the lack of interest in Waterford last year - if they don't follow through on this, no matter how small the allowable crowd , I'd say we might as well not bother fielding a team this year. It's about time the CB grew some balls and stop being bullied by the Munster council

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Would you like to develop on that? Or are you just happy to make a sweeping statement?

Could back to me when you have a crowd at the league games. You'll have barely a thousand at some of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭914

Do you really think we would get 20k in Nowlan park for games v limerick and clare?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

914 wrote: »

Do you really think we would get 20k in Nowlan park for games v limerick and clare?

For the Limerick game Id say yes we would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

Who are the refs going to pick on now that there'll be no more Barry??

Thanks for everything Barry, he's been a true soldier for Waterford.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement