Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭willbeuptuesday

I would start with Adult games.

Meaningful leagues limited to 10/11 teams played before championship, this would require Div1-5 (With larger clubs entering their second teams in the lower leagues.) This would take up at most 13 weekends from March to August which is roughly 26 weekends. This provides plenty of scope to develop a solid calendar of games. A reduced version in football because there would be less teams eg. 8 team leagues run over 10 weeks in the same period. Worst case scenario a dual club can be involved in 23 weekends (In this case games ie. hurling at the height of the summer can be played WEDNESDAY AND SATURDAY for two weeks to claw back two weekends (County Secretary to sort this out). Players complain of endless training, here is an opportunity for clubs to play meaningful games and develop squad players.

Just on a separate note clubs should charge non members for attending these games and use this money to off set any levy for Walsh Park eg. €5 kids free, it will add up over the year and will encourage clubs to promote the leagues.

The leagues are played without the county players and if Waterford are knocked out they can re-join their squads. This is basically for the club player. The finals, involving the top two teams are played at a neutral venue and revenue from the gate is split between the two clubs 70;30 winners taking the most. (This is revenue the county board never had and if it can be used to develop a meaningful leagues then its a good investment.

Championship is played all in one block after Waterford are out and clubs are back to full tilt. New format required but no more meaningless games and more cut throat than before this will bring back the crowds.

In juvenile competitions u13/15/17

Meaningful leagues on an all county basis will allow teams of a similar standard to form decent leagues and give the kids plenty of games at their level. Championship to be played in a knockout basis after the leagues (Open to other ideas). But the crux of this idea is to give parents and players a decent schedule which they can commit to.

U19 Straight knockout. Plenty of scope to play these fixtures after the league.

U6-U11 More organised all county blitzes in Fraher Field, Walsh Park and Carriganore. Make these blitzes easy for coaches and parents to bring their kids to and you will get a lot more people to come to them, have members of the Waterford teams present to take photos etc.. jut to promote the game. Again give the parents a clear schedule.

Waterford is not a big county and parents have no problem travelling for soccer and other sports, its time for meaningful change !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Some good ideas there but the gate receipts from the league final would be very small

Some good ideas there but the gate receipts from the league final would be very small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Championship is played all in one block after Waterford are out and clubs are back to full tilt. New format required but no more meaningless games and more cut throat than before this will bring back the crowds

I would certainly agree with this. In an ideal world the club leagues would run while intercounty championship is running and without county players.
    It’s definitely time to have intercounty and club championship blocks. Intercounty championship from April to end of July / mid August maybe (rough dates) and club leagues on going without county players at this time.
    Club championship beginning from mid August then, could probably continue with current structure with this format. There was a huge gap in fixtures this year after Waterford were eliminated, must have been 6 to 8 weeks. These would then be eliminated. If this format wasn’t feasible a rethink on the format may be required.
    Club teams can start training in March for league without flogging players, knowing championship isn’t until August.
    This would definitely require eliminating the early season intercounty cups, club All Ireland being played before Christmas and start league in late January possibly, similar to how it does now.

Definitely time to separate club and county seasons, the huge lull between championship games requires 2 pre seasons at least which is crazy, needs to be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

PTH2009 wrote: »

This has been going on for years. Great to see someone standing up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Tom Devine and Maurice Shanahan have withdrawn from the panel. Work commitments for Tom apparently. Peter Hogan back in.

cul beag wrote: »
    Tom Devine and Maurice Shanahan have withdrawn from the panel. Work commitments for Tom apparently. Peter Hogan back in.

Pity about that

Tom is a big loss and shocked at Maurice going

Hopefully Hogan brings his excellent club form into the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

hardybuck wrote: »
    This has been going on for years. Great to see someone standing up to it.

Wouldn’t call it standing up, they’ve given up and backed down I’d say

So there will be no promotion from the league

2020/2021 NHL formats
    Division 1 - Group A

1st Placed team 2019 Div 1A

4th Placed team 2019 Div 1A

Winner of Div 1A relegation play-off

2nd placed team 2019 Div 1B

3rd placed team 2019 Div 1B

Promoted Div 2A team

Division 1 – Group B

2nd placed team 2019 Div 1A

3rd placed team 2019 Div 1A

Loser of Div 1A relegation play off

1st Placed team 2019 Div 1B

4th placed team 2019 Div 1B

5th placed team 2019 Div 1B

Groups to run on a two year cycle (2020, 2021)

To be redrawn for 2022 and every two years thereafter based on formula above (“5th placed team Div 1B” to change to “Relegation final winners” for this purpose).

Relegation from 2020 onwards to be after Relegation Play-Off between bottom placed team in Group A and Group B.

Winner of Div 2A final is promoted annually to replace relegated team

1st placed team in each group to advance directly to Allianz Hurling League Semi Final

2nd and 3rd placed teams from each group to meet in “crossover” quarter finals (2nd 1A v 3rd 1B and 3rd 1A v 2nd 1B)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

cul beag wrote: »

To be fair to Tom he’s been saying with a few years now that he didn’t know if he could commit to intercounty after he becomes a fully fledged GP. So not a huge surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

To be fair to Tom he’s been saying with a few years now that he didn’t know if he could commit to intercounty after he becomes a fully fledged GP. So not a huge surprise

Yeah I knew there wasnt a hope with this, GP's work mad hours and HSE is always shortstaffed to make things worse, good luck to him in career but we wont be seeing him back which is a pity(for us)

Wouldn’t call it standing up, they’ve given up and backed down I’d say

You hardly think resigning was his first effort to solve the issue?

Fact is the CB want lads to come in and take these roles and then treat them like rubbish. This has actually brought it out into the open.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

So there will be no promotion from the league

Correction, the winner of 1B will not be promoted. 2nd and 3rd place will be instead.

Half-joking.. because I think it is the right thing to try to blend the two divisions and split them into equals as best as possible.

I especially like that they will reshuffle every 2 years to ensure that teams get to rotate around and face new opponents every now and then.

However, I DO NOT think there should be league semi finals. Just let the top team from each division have a single marquee final to decide the NHL. Having 2 quarters, 2 semis and a finals is just too many extra weekends in an already packed year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

I like the current League 1A/B format. Carlow can approach next year's League with some confidence. If there was an even split across the two divisions, they'd have a lower chance of survival and the number of beatdowns they would be likely to get rises as well. The quarter-finals and semi-finals are completely useless at this stage though. It made sense when you might only have two games left in the inter-county season, but that's not the case anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

Taken from twitter

Waterford GAA last night lost their appeal to have their opening game of the 2019 hurling league returned to Walsh Park. County being punished for breaking training regulations before the start of this year's championship. Game against Offaly is to be played at a neutral venue.

Taken from twitter

Waterford GAA last night lost their appeal to have their opening game of the 2019 hurling league returned to Walsh Park. County being punished for breaking training regulations before the start of this year's championship. Game against Offaly is to be played at a neutral venue.

Ffs We have to deal with it and move on

Where will it be played now ??
    Thurles, Port Laoise, Nowlan Park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Gardner

since your a selector from the team, tell us what the CB told ye before this all blew up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Ffs We have to deal with it and move on

Where will it be played now ??
    Thurles, Port Laoise, Nowlan Park

Will depend on other fixtures that weekend but nowlan park would be ideal

KevIRL wrote: »

Master fixture list is out. Sun18th Aug 2019 is the day to be in Croke Park for the big one

That weekend of the Offaly game has NHL and NFL rounds 1 on

Sat 26th Jan- Tipp vs Clare in the NHL in Thurles at 7pm. Could throw us on at 5pm there

Sun 27th Jan- Kilkenny vs Cork (NHL) Nowlan Park 2pm. Unless we play at 12pm than double header is not possible

Thurles, Port Laoise and Carlow are free so possibly we might play in one of those

GAA really made it hard for themselves with there own stubbornness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Master fixture list is out. Sun18th Aug 2019 is the day to be in Croke Park for the big one

That weekend of the Offaly game has NHL and NFL rounds 1 on

Sat 26th Jan- Tipp vs Clare in the NHL in Thurles at 7pm. Could throw us on at 5pm there

Sun 27th Jan- Kilkenny vs Cork (NHL) Nowlan Park 2pm. Unless we play at 12pm than double header is not possible

Thurles, Port Laoise and Carlow are free so possibly we might play in one of those

GAA really made it hard for themselves with there own stubbornness

They broke the rules. They knew they were breaking them. So you take the punishment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

From reading that it's look like the football management are in the wrong.

I agree - from the article, it looks like the Minor Hurling management had named a provisional panel but the Footballers had not yet named theirs.

How can there be a dual player issue if you haven't named a panel yet.

in saying that tom Flynn has put a lot of work in and taking on a lot of teams in an effort to improve Football in the county. I hope it is resolved and they return to take the team for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

Gardner wrote: »
    since your a selector from the team, tell us what the CB told ye before this all blew up

Tom Flynn is gone in with the senior ladies team already so he won’t be going back even if they come to a resolution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

Flynn loves the attention anyway, he's embarrassing on Twitter, he will only be delighted to have made the Examiner

KevIRL wrote: »

Offaly in Nowlan Park, you say...

*wipes away tear*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Gardner

bump for thesaturdayman

bump for thesaturdayman

Ah be fair to the lad. Not professional for him to be on here commenting at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Deisefacts

JesusRef wrote: »
    I agree - from the article, it looks like the Minor Hurling management had named a provisional panel but the Footballers had not yet named theirs.

How can there be a dual player issue if you haven't named a panel yet.

in saying that tom Flynn has put a lot of work in and taking on a lot of teams in an effort to improve Football in the county. I hope it is resolved and they return to take the team for the year.

From what I hear is that the hurling manager walked out of the meeting so how could they give him a panel, which I believe they had at the meeting. Also I hear the footballers have been talking to a solicitor during the week. If that’s the case they must feel they’ve a pretty strong case. Rumour also that Tom flynn will be on the Eamonn Keane show some day next week. Surely if Pat flynn, a full time paid official, had done his job properly this wouldn’t have happened

• Advertisement

IanVW wrote: »

Excellent news. Shane Bennett confirmed as being back in that article also I see.

Tom Devine will be a big loss. I think his withdrawal was as much down to complications of a concussion he suffered when playing in the intermediate football county final as to his work load unfortunately. Maybe with a bit of luck we might see him back later in the year.

Deisefacts wrote: »
    From what I hear is that the hurling manager walked out of the meeting so how could they give him a panel, which I believe they had at the meeting. Also I hear the footballers have been talking to a solicitor during the week. If that’s the case they must feel they’ve a pretty strong case. Rumour also that Tom flynn will be on the Eamonn Keane show some day next week. Surely if Pat flynn, a full time paid official, had done his job properly this wouldn’t have happened

What could they be discussing with solicitors? An agreement between 2 managements being breached? Hardly grounds for legal advice?
    From what I have read about it it seems a Football training was moved from a Friday night to a Saturday and some of the dual players took the opportunity to go to a hurling training? This has upset the football management it seems?
    I’m open to correction on the above but if that is the case it’s surprising to resign over that when it seems it was just the players talking the opportunity to do a hurling training when the opportunity arose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

I'd feel it was a good time for Brick to go. Of course there's no cut off age wise but there was a bit of a deal made about what was seen as his final game last season. Would have been an appropriate send off

big_drive wrote: »
    I'd feel it was a good time for Brick to go. Of course there's no cut off age wise but there was a bit of a deal made about what was seen as his final game last season. Would have been an appropriate send off

There was a big deal made of his record breaking achievement. There was never any talk of retirement from Brick at the time. It was embarrassing the way people were speaking about him as if he was already gone.
    He won’t be playing full games I’d imagine but will certainly be a positive influence and make his mark in some capacity I’ve no doubt.

I think a lot of the hoopla around Brick for the Cork game was because the game was a dead rubber for us. Last chance to see etc. Good to see that's not the case.

big_drive wrote: »

What a warrior, inspiration an role model for young players on the squad. This guy works in a bank, runs a farm and has 3 young kids., yet still prepared to put it in.

What a warrior, inspiration an role model for young players on the squad. This guy works in a bank, runs a farm and has 3 young kids., yet still prepared to put it in.

Yeah amazing man

I wonder is he eyeing up a short of selector/mentor role for when he does retire from playing ???

What a fitting tribute to the man if we climb the steps of the Hogan next summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Yeah amazing man

I wonder is he eyeing up a short of selector/mentor role for when he does retire from playing ???

What a fitting tribute to the man if we climb the steps of the Hogan next summer

You must be planning a stadium tour?

Munster Under 20 Hurling championship 2019 draw
    SF- Waterford vs Tippeary
    SF- Clare vs winners of Limerick/Cork QF

Mcgrath Cup 2019
    Semi final- Waterford vs Clare- Sun 6th Jan 2019 Fraher Field 1pm

Munster Minor Hurling Championship fixtures same as Munster Senior Hurling fixtures. Minor played as Curtain rasiers, top 2 into the Munster final

still no sign of the Munster league fixtures for us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Munster Under 20 Hurling championship 2019 draw
    SF- Waterford vs Tippeary
    SF- Clare vs winners of Limerick/Cork QF

Mcgrath Cup 2019
    Semi final- Waterford vs Clare- Sun 6th Jan 2019 Fraher Field 1pm

Munster Minor Hurling Championship fixtures same as Munster Senior Hurling fixtures. Minor played as Curtain rasiers, top 2 into the Munster final

still no sign of the Munster league fixtures for us
    Does U20 replace U21? Is minor still a grade or is it U17 (or whatever it got rebranded to)? Haven't really kept up with all of the changes at these levels in the last few years.

Cake Man wrote: »
    Does U20 replace U21? Is minor still a grade or is it U17 (or whatever it got rebranded to)? Haven't really kept up with all of the changes at these levels in the last few years.

Yeah under 20 replaces under 21 in the hurling (its been under 20 in the football since this year) and minor is under 17

Under 20 footballers will play Clare in the Munster QF winners playing Cork in the semis

Any list of the u21 hurling champions?

Cake Man wrote: »

Yes, minor was changed to u17 this year and u20 replaces 21 starting next year. and by my reckoning, next years under 20 team would be last years minor (u18) group, whom were beaten by absolute cricket scores in 3 Munster championship games. Worst ever. A pity it wasn’t the following year the u21 was changed and we wouldn’t have to send that group out to be put to the sword again

Anyone have a list of the under twenty one hurling champions in the county over the years?

Yes, minor was changed to u17 this year and u20 replaces 21 starting next year. and by my reckoning, next years under 20 team would be last years minor (u18) group, whom were beaten by absolute cricket scores in 3 Munster championship games. Worst ever. A pity it wasn’t the following year the u21 was changed and we wouldn’t have to send that group out to be put to the sword again

Looks like someone went out for a fag at the end of normal time in the Tipperary Minor match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

deiseach wrote: »
    Looks like someone went out for a fag at the end of normal time in the Tipperary Minor match.

Didn't they beat both teams that qualified for the Munster final in the end? Was hard enough to judge minors, never mind u17s

deiseach wrote: »

I’m talking about 2017

I’m talking about 2017

Right you are. 2018 feels like 'last year' at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Quote from munster gaa....

Waterford proposed to amend the regulation whereby in the event a county is unable to host home games, it would be possible to nominate venues outside the province. This proposal was defeated. Discussions are ongoing in relation to Waterford hosting their 2019 Munster Senior Hurling Championship home games versus Clare and Limerick in Walsh Park Waterford.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement