Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

deiseach wrote: »
    I'd add that I was convinced the Munster Council were proceeding for a bad faith position, that any proposal from the Waterford County Board would be found wanting. How wrong I was. Fantastic news, and well done to all concerned.

Agreed, when our motion for games to be played outside the province (Nowlan Park) was defeated before Christmas, I was thinking 'here we go again'.

But this is the right outcome, we have the right to host home games the same as every other county, regardless of capacity of ground or scrambles for tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Glad I renewed the season ticket after feeling conned when buying last year for the same reason. But this really should have been sorted sooner, the Munster council were due to visit in December. Why did that not take place? Could have been determined then and given people the opportunity to buy season tickets knowing there value.

Great news and delighted but think the Munster council have plenty to answer for in how theyve dealt with this situation in the last two seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Tipp have a range of really nice supporters packages which they've launched this morning.

€500 gets you Supporters Club Membership, inclusion in the Tipp GAA draws, a county board pass for two and a framed picture of their All Ireland U21 winning team.

The pass for two is a really clever idea, as often you'll have someone who loves going to all sorts of games, but having the spare ticket means they can bring their mate, uncle, brother, spouse etc. or whoever is available of a Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon to go with you. Much easier to go with someone than on your own, and having a spare free ticket makes some of the games a much easier sell.

€1,000 gets all of the above, your company's logo or ad on the Tipp GAA website, and the option to buy tickets to any Tipp county game. That's an ideal price point for a smaller to medium business.

€5k gets you into an All Ireland semi, after match dinners, signed jerseys, Golf Classics - again that's good value for a lot of people.

€25k gets you a rake of stuff basically, including your name on their entrance wall to their centre of excellence.

Waterford could nearly copy and paste that and advertise it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

So is there going to be an explanation as to why this couldn’t happen last year? As to why players and supporters were sent up to the Gaelic Grounds for a designated ‘home venue’?

The players should receive an apology at the very least. These fellahs give up way to much of their time to put up with the **** sandwich they were handed last year. They were given no chance whatsoever with 4 games on the road in 4 weeks

I’m sorry but what went on last year still makes me very angry and it brings it home again now. An entire season of these lads short careers consigned to the scrap heap, unnecessarily

Not to mention last year's minor team who had to go on the road for all four matches

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

What entrance do season ticket holders use in Walsh Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Did anyone think Walsh Park was up-to-scratch this time last year? Fair play to you if you did, but for the rest of us it was #newbridgeornowhere that changed matters. And I'm certain Kildare's campaign wouldn't have had the same impact if the nation hadn't seen us traipsing across the province, growing ever more forlorn with each passing week. You live and learn, and thankfully everyone has learned.

Oh, and after my recent post complimenting the Munster Council, I'll add a caveat that the state of Páirc Uí Chaoimh probably helped our cause. It would have taken some nerve to say you couldn't play any matches in Walsh Park while staging two matches on the world's most expensive cabbage patch.

DiscoStew wrote: »
    What entrance do season ticket holders use in Walsh Park?

The way it was set up last year for league games was separate turnstiles for season ticket holders at both main entrances on slievekeale road and at the roundabout at slievekeale/keanes road junction. I'd imagine it will be the same this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tommylad1212

Prunty seems to be quite prone to injuries and has missed a fair amount of hurling already, he missed most of last season as well. Shane Fives went off injured in one of the earlier matches, Offaly I think

Out for 6 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    The way it was set up last year for league games was separate turnstiles for season ticket holders at both main entrances on slievekeale road and at the roundabout at slievekeale/keanes road junction. I'd imagine it will be the same this year.

Correct stiles 4,5, 10, 11, 12, 22 and 23

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

Deisegodeo wrote: »

County board deserve credit, they get hammered often enough so time to give them their credit too. Home games and redevelopment to commence this year. I wasn't sure either would happen being honest...

Credit where it's due and that's with the kildare County board. They had far more to do with us getting home advantage this year than our county board did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

blue note wrote: »
    Credit where it's due and that's with the kildare County board. They had far more to do with us getting home advantage this year than our county board did.

Ah come on now will ya..

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Mulbert

How does it?

O keeffe
    D Lyons
    McNulty
    Connors
    C Lyons
    Phil Mahony
    Brick
    Barron
    Moran
    Dunford
    Kearney
    Pa Mahony
    Hogan
    St Bennett
    Sh bennett

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Out for 6 weeks

Bad timing for the lad. Was just growing into the team. Will miss the remainder of the league and probably a championship starting place as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

KevIRL wrote: »
    O keeffe
    D Lyons
    McNulty
    Connors
    C Lyons
    Phil Mahony
    Brick
    Barron
    Moran
    Dunford
    Kearney
    Pa Mahony
    Hogan
    St Bennett
    Sh bennett

Not playing Austin Gleeson is strange. He looks to me like he needs games. We won't be matching Galway for physicality

• Advertisement

Nothing to do with the Kildare county board. They were basically spectators in the whole saga. It was purely driven by Cian O’Neill, with the support his backroom team and players that made that stance. We need more people like him in the GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Galway have named a pretty strong side

Tbh hard too see us winning it with that side but only a few years ago we played a 2nd string side against them and almost beat them ?? (Think it finished a draw)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Galway have named a pretty strong side

Tbh hard too see us winning it with that side but only a few years ago we played a 2nd string side against them and almost beat them ?? (Think it finished a draw)

They won that game 2 years ago. They said it gave them great belief at the time to come back from something like 10 points down and then it came back to bite us on the arse in the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Not playing Austin Gleeson is strange. He looks to me like he needs games. We won't be matching Galway for physicality

Yes very surprised Aussie isn't playing. Was expecting he'd get a run in the half forward line.
    Very disappointed to hear Prunty is out for 6 weeks. For me, if we are to win an all Ireland this year, we need him at full back and Aussie on top form wherever he plays so slightly concerned but won't be hitting the panic button over it yet :pac:

Stephen Bennett could maybe have done with a rest to give Maurice a start as he's played every game since Munster League but probably will help Shane come on more by having him in there.

Looking forward to seeing Darragh Lyons again. Was very impressed with him against Clare in the Munster League. He had a commanding presence and wasn't afraid to get on the ball and show some leadership.

Ropaire wrote: »
    They won that game 2 years ago. They said it gave them great belief at the time to come back from something like 10 points down and then it came back to bite us on the arse in the final.

2016 we played them in a group match and its finished level. We beat them in 2014/2015 in the league. They of course beat us in 2017 twice one being in a certain September game

• Advertisement

Any confirmation on whether Conor Power has made himself available?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Good chance of the game being called off tomorrow I'm hearing. Very strong winds and heavy rain expected from tomorrow morning on

Footballers leading Antrim 0-6 to 0-5 half time

Waterford 1-9 Antrim 1-8 full time. Two wins in a row

Waterford 1-9 Antrim 1-8 full time. Two wins in a row

Great win esp beating an Ulster side

Any confirmation on whether Conor Power has made himself available?

Only 4 ballygunner lads on the panel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭taytobreath

the guy on rte news went out of his way to mention that 86 people turned up to watch the waterford v antrim match

the guy on rte news went out of his way to mention that 86 people turned up to watch the waterford v antrim match

Unless Antrim requested a Sat game no reason why it could not of been a curtain raiser for the hurling 2morrow

Do they have any sense really

Carriganore isn’t exactly the epicentre of Gaelic football in Waterford. If Fraher wasn’t available then why not spread it around to some of traditional football clubs. Clubs like Stradbally and Kikrossanty have good facilities capable of hosting these games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Disappointing to see how few came out to support the footballers, how many was at the soccer match last night, 4 thousand?

• Advertisement

We can actually finish 1st/2nd or 3rd

1st would be by a bit of a freak. We would have too beat Galway and Dublin lose/draw with Laois. We can't finish top if Dublin win

Lose/draw tomorrow and were most likely 3rd

At the end of the day prob not that important where we finish as there's no promotion but we do need a good performance

Away QF ties on 10th March it were playing Limerick, Tipp or Kilkenny

Coin toss for home advantage if playing Wexford, Cork or Clare

Disappointing to see how few came out to support the footballers, how many was at the soccer match last night, 4 thousand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Deiselurker

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Unless Antrim requested a Sat game no reason why it could not of been a curtain raiser for the hurling 2morrow

Do they have any sense really

I presume Antrim did request it as 12.30 on a Saturday is an unusual time for a game and it's a long journey back to Antrim so that could be reason. Walsh Park pitch wouldn't be able for 2 games in the wet weather that is there this weekend. It would ruin the pitch for the hurling which is the big game in most Waterford fans minds.

Good chance of the game being called off tomorrow I'm hearing. Very strong winds and heavy rain expected from tomorrow morning on

Any further updates on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Any further updates on this?

Congratulations on getting Walsh Park for this year. It's a pity the capacity is so small. There 'll be 5- 10,000 Limerick supporters missing out and that would be similar even if Limerick weren't All Ireland holders.
    Please replace that pitch when he are doing the ground. It's an awful heavy sod

They had a double header with Antrim a few years back and, after throwing their hurlers around like a rag doll in what was our joint-biggest NHL win ever, the place emptied in a manner akin to a bomb scare for the football game. The League of Ireland lads say that we're a nation of event junkies and, if you can see your way past the habitual bitterness about bogball and stickball, you'll see they have a point.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Congratulations on getting Walsh Park for this year. It's a pity the capacity is so small. There 'll be 5- 10,000 Limerick supporters missing out and that would be similar even if Limerick weren't All Ireland holders.

No, it wouldn't.

What time will gates open? 1pm?
    I'd say with the weather the stand will fill up early. I got caught out in Dungarvan for the Carlow match.

The reporter was Mac Dara Mac Donnacha, a Waterford man heavily involved in GAA, so he was probably going out of his way to state it because the GAA supporters in the county are so poor at getting out to watch games.

• Advertisement

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Please replace that pitch when he are doing the ground. It's an awful heavy sod

What was the attendance in the Gaelic Ground for the game last summer?

I think your stadium is the one a lot of counties try their best to avoid replicating.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

What time will gates open? 1pm?
    I'd say with the weather the stand will fill up early. I got caught out in Dungarvan for the Carlow match.

Tis slowly filling up now already. Weather is shocking though. Wouldn't be surprised for it to be called off.

Tis slowly filling up now already. Weather is shocking though. Wouldn't be surprised for it to be called off.

Rain is to get worse I think.

Lashing rain the last few hours, going to be a heavy pitch, probably not a day for small light forwards. I wouldn't be surprised to see a change or 2 before throw in

Waterford GAA
    @WaterfordGAA
    ·
    1m
    Today’s game is subject to a pitch inspection. Waiting on referee for inspection!

John Fogarty
    @JohnFogartyIrl
    Looking at the Division 1 hurling final being put back a week to March 30/31 if games are called off today

• Advertisement

Game off

Off

Glad I held off a few mins leaving the house now

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

Poor form to only call it off an hour before throw in. Sickener for the travelling Galway supporters.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement