Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

To be fair, Aussie is still a young and very immature player, even considering his experience to date. He is expected by many to go out and dominate not only every opponent but every game and this is unreasonable. Yes he become frustrated when things go wrong, he is not the first and will not not the last that has to learn to cope with this and you can be sure he gets a lot of extra attention. Just look at how long it took Joe canning to reach his current level of consistency.

Having watched the "knee dropping" incident several times, i would totally disagree that he dropped both knees, his right foot is planted on the ground at all times meaning he had a fair degree of balance and did not apply full weight as some have indicated. Having said that it was a stupid thing to do, as was Mikey Kearney's and management need to get an early grip on this kind of thing. Referees nowadays are very quick to expose even the smallest of indisciplines. Our last management team to my mind failed to deal with it and it cost us dearly on a number of occasions, and to be honest our discipline this year up to last Sunday is one of the things that has impressed me so far.

People need to remember that this team is still trying to find its way., making big adjustments in playing style.

Aussie might as well have been missing all of last year and is trying to adjust to playing again as a forward. My preference is to see him as a half back, but has he the potential to deliver from half forward - absolutely.

De Burca, for me is a central player, i.e. center back or full back, Last week after coming back from a layoff he was stationed at wing back and looked lost, as he settled into the game and was moved to center back he settled down nicely, and remember he missed almost all of last year and has spent the last three years as "sweeper" never having to mark. He needs time to adjust.

While trying to get as many players as possible game time we are chopping and changing and this does unsettle the team leading to inconsistency so lets give them time.

I for one am extremely happy with how we are progressing and when we get Prunty, the two Fives, Kieran Bennett, Conor Gleeson and Maurice back up and running with some good game time behind them, the options will open up big time.

Obviously starting or finishing games poorly are worrying trends, but for me starting poorly is the preference of the two. Last week we started poorly but stuck at it and worked our way into the game. We worked hard, did not panic and kept our composure not for the first time this year and won the game. The substitutes helped to lift the overall performance and that is always a good thing as opposed to making changes that have no impact whatsoever. Even in the one game we lost we still could have beaten Dublin after being out of the game for long periods. There is much work to be done, but for me we are going in the right direction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭upthedeise16

What’s the story with club senior hurling championship? There was meant to be club games this weekend but presumably now postponed? The Waterford gaa website is brutal to navigate on a phone!

This weekends matches are now being played next weekend. The 2nd round of hurling which was to be the that weekend is cancelled. The 2 rounds of football go ahead as scheduled.

Weekend 6/7th April: Round 1 Hurling
    Weekend 13/14th April: Round 1 Football
    Weekend 20/21st April: Round 2 Football

It means Fanning will have the majority of his panel back training by the end of the first weekend in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ovalu

puzl wrote: »

In general though, I'm dreading what club month will do to us. We racked up a fair few injuries last year.

Time to get rid of the club's completely, they are a major hindrance to the intercounty team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

ovalu wrote: »
    Time to get rid of the club's completely, they are a major hindrance to the intercounty team

Is that you, John Delaney?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

ovalu wrote: »

Aw now that's not what I'm saying at all and you know it. Having an intensified full month of hurling i.e. 4 weekends on the trott right before the first round of the Munster championship is just a terrible idea. The clubs are suffering for sure because of the expanded inter-county schedule, but just piling even more games on the players during any down time is not the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭bemmet

Here’s hoping that we get the significant and deep travelling support for Waterford on Sunday in Croke park.
    Last Sunday was weak enough given bordering county location for the fixture.
    We all know come summer time there will be people banging on Walsh park doors for entry.
    It’s a national final , in the best stadium in the country and Waterford are playing.
    Time to show this team the support they have and as Jamie says in today’s indo - it’s the support in the last 10 minutes that can often make the difference.
    See you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

We're going to need to outscore limerick at the weekend if we're going to beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

blue note wrote: »
    We're going to need to outscore limerick at the weekend if we're going to beat them.
    Seriously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

Good to see you are familiar with the basic concept of how sport works :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

This has to be one of the quotes of the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Gardner

i'd say himself and PTH2009 meet up for beers last night

Thankfully it'll be a game of two halves and waterford step up to the plate and keep their eye on the ball and knock it out of the park!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

PTH2009 thinks we could outscore Limerick and still lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Ian OB

deiseach wrote: »
    PTH2009 thinks we could outscore Limerick and still lose.

There are some matches I have a similiar paranoia about beforehand

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

seriously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Echo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,108 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

dont the county board get €100,000 and squad get a end of year holiday out of winning the league ???

irish rail are running direct match special train leaving Waterford at 10am and Hueston Station at 18.15 on Sunday

http://www.irishrail.ie/fare-and-tickets/support-your-county-and-travel-by-rail-to-the-gaa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Worth listening to today's Off the Ball hurling show, in particular the interview with Eoin Kelly talking about his exit from Mount Sion and other bits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Poor PTH2009 gets an awful doing on here :D

• Advertisement

KevIRL wrote: »
    Worth listening to today's Off the Ball hurling show, in particular the interview with Eoin Kelly talking about his exit from Mount Sion and other bits

Yeah always get slack for whatever I say but u all love my opinion lol

Yeah watched it there very good episode (and show). 1 going for Limerick and 1 going for us Sunday. Imo this I'd very bonus territory esp adding in getting a final on Croke park and not many expected us too go far in the league but here we are. Still think Limerick will get over the line but hoping it will be a close game and were not on the receiving of a hammering that sadly this squad of players have been through in major finals the past few years. Cant wait for Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Yeah always get slack for whatever I say but u all love my opinion lol

Yeah watched it there very good episode (and show). 1 going for Limerick and 1 going for us Sunday. Imo this I'd very bonus territory esp adding in getting a final on Croke park and not many expected us too go far in the league but here we are. Still think Limerick will get over the line but hoping it will be a close game and were not on the receiving of a hammering that sadly this squad of players have been through in major finals the past few years. Cant wait for Sunday

You do leave yourself wide open but there’s no denying your loyalty to Waterford.

You’re as optimistic as ever for this Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

A few sticky questions from Stapleton. I'm not a big fan of his usually. Much prefer the GAA hour with Colm Parkinson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I'll say this this for PTH2009 ye might be a negative bollox at times but at least ye actually show up and support the team, Nothing worse then lads moaning about the team and not bothered to get off their arse and go and support them. Roll on Sunday we're underdogs but we certainly have the ability to win, can't afford to start as badly again tho, i just wouldn't see Limerick letting a 7-8 point lead slip, if we hit the ground running and are going into the last 10 mins within a point or two we have every chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭decies

Won’t be popular comment on here but I think it’s ridiculous having Waterford play Limerick in Croker , the game was ready made for Thurles but no they wouldn’t do it . I would have gone to Thurles but not going to Croke Park Sunday . It’s going to be hell with the extra roadworks on m7 as well . Will be cheering the team on from home unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Apparently there is some sort of diversion planned for the M7 roadworks on Sunday, not sure what impact it will have but with Waterford and Limerick both coming in that road, there may be more delays than usual. Something for supporters to be aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I think this is one of those games where, yeah, it's a pain in the hole for supporters with it being in Croker but for the team and it's development, it'll stand to the players getting a run out at CP in a big game against arguably the most inform team in the country.

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Apparently there is some sort of diversion planned for the M7 roadworks on Sunday, not sure what impact it will have but with Waterford and Limerick both coming in that road, there may be more delays than usual. Something for supporters to be aware of.

Just go the coast road. A good amount of it is motorway now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭bemmet

decies wrote: »
    Won’t be popular comment on here but I think it’s ridiculous having Waterford play Limerick in Croker , the game was ready made for Thurles but no they wouldn’t do it . I would have gone to Thurles but not going to Croke Park Sunday . It’s going to be hell with the extra roadworks on m7 as well . Will be cheering the team on from home unfortunately.

Two hours max up the road to go to a national final in the national stadium vs the all Ireland champions.
    They train for months over a long winter and you can’t be assed going to watch them.
    The mind boggles.

The kube Waterford GAA event is on tomorrow night I think in the WIT Arena and looks a good night for anyone who can make it. A few on the panel taking part but more than likely training before hand

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sitkaspruce

You do leave yourself wide open but there’s no denying your loyalty to Waterford.

You’re as optimistic as ever for this Sunday.

Hes a great supporter unless rugby or concerts get in the way ha ha ha

• Advertisement

Hes a great supporter unless rugby or concerts get in the way ha ha ha

True dont mean too discuss it here but **** happens lol

Back too Sunday do we start as close too our championship 15 or still experiment ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

PTH2009 wrote: »
    True dont mean too discuss it here but **** happens lol

Back too Sunday do we start as close too our championship 15 or still experiment ???

It's a national final... what do you think??

Deskjockey wrote: »
    It's a national final... what do you think??

You could still throw in a few rookies and say **** it as it's not the main one but u could also say **** this means something and go with the strong 15

Something about Waterford and mayo on the same bill worries me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭chinguetti

decies wrote: »
    I would have gone to Thurles but not going to Croke Park Sunday . It’s going to be hell with the extra roadworks on m7 as well . Will be cheering the team on from home unfortunately.

And how about the people who go to matches for any county or club that live in Dublin and have go through the mess of the M7 the last year and more:D? I spent nearly 3 hours from the Kildare Village turnoff to my front door (normally 40 minutes) there recently so its a royal pain but nice to have it the other way around for once. Also Dublin playing us in Parnell was lovely too. I can understand why anyone doesn't want to face into that road as both Limerick and Waterford will be heading the same way through the roadworks.

By all accounts, the pitch in Thurles is in a bad state so the GAA had little choice. They were probably hoping it would be a Galway double header but Galway messed that up for them in both codes. No harm that we get games in Croker in my mind to develop and move forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

The missing text basically says it'll be finished by Monday.
    At least we have the coast option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

deise08 wrote: »
    The missing text basically says it'll be finished by Monday.
    At least we have the coast option.

Coast Rd is defo way to go. Eff all traffic on a weekend and be in Donny brook before you know it...then get a ‘Daniel day’ (Luas) from one of the many green line stops which is faster and a lot safer than the dreaded ‘red line’....also you don’t run the risk of your car being nicked r burnt out or being used in a robbery

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

As far as I can see turles would have been a more suitable venue for all 6 competing counties. But croker is handier for me, so I'm okay with it.

If they opened the upper tier attendance would go up immediately. They've been selling rubbish tickets for most of the week that a lot of people wouldn't be bothered with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

As far as I can see turles would have been a more suitable venue for all 6 competing counties. But croker is handier for me, so I'm okay with it.

Thurles is closed for 5 weeks to repair the pitch, wasn't an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Just looking at predictions from various commentators for this weekend and by all accounts we may as well not bother turning up on Sunday. Not only is it a foregone conclusion but Limerick are being portrayed as being near untouchable this year, they had the strongest panel last year and they have an even stronger panel this year. (Galway of 2017 anyone) Obviously Limerick won the All Ireland last year, but along the way, were on the end of a fine hammering from Clare and were left out of jail by Cork twice, so they were far from the unbeatable side they are being portrayed now..

A huge level of credit is being given to them for reaching the League Final this year because they are All Ireland Champions. This despite most pundits, previously writing the League off as a nothing this year with no relegation and the provincial round robins being the primary focus as the traditional giants of Tipperary and Kilkenny try to find new blood and rebuild. Talk about consistency!!!!

On "Off the Ball" the other night (cannot remember which commentator) they stated that we must surely consider using a sweeper to counteract Limerick this weekend citing our beating in Limerick last year when "Derek was lulled into a false sense of security and went man man". Nothing was mentioned about the fact that for that game we were :

- Playing Limerick in their own back yard, which has never been easy for any team, no matter how Limerick were going.
    - We had a seriously patched together side with several key players missing and lads playing with injuries,- lour panel was stretched to the absolute limit.
    - we were playing for a third week in a row , which every team struggled with, and more to the point, were on the road for the third week in a row having played in Ennis and Limerick the previous two Sunday's (a complete joke as we all know)

While we may not have played with a dedicated a sweeper that day, (mailnly because we did not have one available) we did play with the usual non-existent full forward line for most of the game, inviting Limerick to run at us in droves.

I am not being disrespectful to Limerick they are worthy champions, and i am not saying they are not a powerful side and they could possibly be the best side in the country, but i honestly believe there is little to choose between the top 7 - 8 sides and it is way to early in the day irrelevant of the outcome this Sunday to be crowning them kings. It strikes me that Ballygunner were being written off before the Munster Club Final based on Na Piarsiagh's record, and look what happened there.

I honestly believe we have a real chance on Sunday and I only hope that Patsy has the courage and conviction to let our lads play. and not revert to a sweeper. Limerick like to leave their inside forwards inside and attack from deep creating space in front of the full forward line to attack, Deploying a sweeper will make playing long balls in in front of the full forward difficult, but will be of little effect when teams start running at you. I believe we must attack their half back line and try and turn them over there, as they try to play out of defence.

As i have said in many a post, we are far from the finished article, and are work in progress. Next Sunday is another step, but I believe we have and really strong panel with some excellent individuals who play with a really hardworking approach and ethic, and at the moment are playing without fear. We must trust them and if they loose, let them learn from their loss. We are there on Sunday on merit and I for one give us a real good chance of upsetting the pundits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

blueflame wrote: »
    Just looking at predictions from various commentators for this weekend and by all accounts we may as well not bother turning up on Sunday. Not only is it a foregone conclusion but Limerick are being portrayed as being near untouchable this year, they had the strongest panel last year and they have an even stronger panel this year. (Galway of 2017 anyone) Obviously Limerick won the All Ireland last year, but along the way, were on the end of a fine hammering from Clare and were left out of jail by Cork twice, so they were far from the unbeatable side they are being portrayed now..

A huge level of credit is being given to them for reaching the League Final this year because they are All Ireland Champions. This despite most pundits, previously writing the League off as a nothing this year with no relegation and the provincial round robins being the primary focus as the traditional giants of Tipperary and Kilkenny try to find new blood and rebuild. Talk about consistency!!!!

On "Off the Ball" the other night (cannot remember which commentator) they stated that we must surely consider using a sweeper to counteract Limerick this weekend citing our beating in Limerick last year when "Derek was lulled into a false sense of security and went man man". Nothing was mentioned about the fact that for that game we were :

- Playing Limerick in their own back yard, which has never been easy for any team, no matter how Limerick were going.
    - We had a seriously patched together side with several key players missing and lads playing with injuries,- lour panel was stretched to the absolute limit.
    - we were playing for a third week in a row , which every team struggled with, and more to the point, were on the road for the third week in a row having played in Ennis and Limerick the previous two Sunday's (a complete joke as we all know)

While we may not have played with a dedicated a sweeper that day, (mailnly because we did not have one available) we did play with the usual non-existent full forward line for most of the game, inviting Limerick to run at us in droves.

I am not being disrespectful to Limerick they are worthy champions, and i am not saying they are not a powerful side and they could possibly be the best side in the country, but i honestly believe there is little to choose between the top 7 - 8 sides and it is way to early in the day irrelevant of the outcome this Sunday to be crowning them kings. It strikes me that Ballygunner were being written off before the Munster Club Final based on Na Piarsiagh's record, and look what happened there.

I honestly believe we have a real chance on Sunday and I only hope that Patsy has the courage and conviction to let our lads play. and not revert to a sweeper. Limerick like to leave their inside forwards inside and attack from deep creating space in front of the full forward line to attack, Deploying a sweeper will make playing long balls in in front of the full forward difficult, but will be of little effect when teams start running at you. I believe we must attack their half back line and try and turn them over there, as they try to play out of defence.

As i have said in many a post, we are far from the finished article, and are work in progress. Next Sunday is another step, but I believe we have and really strong panel with some excellent individuals who play with a really hardworking approach and ethic, and at the moment are playing without fear. We must trust them and if they loose, let them learn from their loss. We are there on Sunday on merit and I for one give us a real good chance of upsetting the pundits.

I would be absolutely shocked if we see a sweeper on Sunday from Waterford. After playing without a sweeper so far in the league, it doesn't make sense to change back to the old system and although it's a league final and would be great to win, Fanning and the management will learn a lot in advance of the Munster championship meeting.

I'm buzzing for it now, it's the excitement I felt before going to see the games of the McCarthys' era and the minor team of '13 but particularly the under 21 of '16 is back, the style of hurling these lads are capable of producing and the scores and skills of some of the scores are a joy to behold. And now they are off the leash in a big game in Croke Park, should be exciting to say the least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

hardybuck wrote: »
    If they opened the upper tier attendance would go up immediately. They've been selling rubbish tickets for most of the week that a lot of people wouldn't be bothered with.

Still selling terrible tickets. I've been waiting to see.of the improve a bit. Has anyone been able to get tickets better than end of Hogan and Cusack or corners?

Also, just wondering? The 25km speed limit is only for a tiny section of the motorway up onto slip way and back down. I know this would cause a knock on effect especially with extra traffic but it's an extra approx. 40 mins to go coast road, it would hardly be an extra 40 mins due to this speed restriction would it?

deisedevil wrote: »
    Still selling terrible tickets. I've been waiting to see.of the improve a bit. Has anyone been able to get tickets better than end of Hogan and Cusack or corners?

Also, just wondering? The 25km speed limit is only for a tiny section of the motorway up onto slip way and back down. I know this would cause a knock on effect especially with extra traffic but it's an extra approx. 40 mins to go coast road, it would hardly be an extra 40 mins due to this speed restriction would it?

304 lower Cusack here. But that's via season ticket

Going up shouldn't be too bad Sunday. Homeward though could be grim

Upper Cusack has been opened, you can currently get one bang on the halfway. Much better lower Hogan have also just come on stream, which I've bought.

Also, the 25k restriction is for a small section, but the 60k limit is for the the length of the roadworks between Junction 9 and 10. Generally those roadworks are fine during non peak times, but awful during peak times. When it snowed a while back some people were stuck for hours on the Sunday night trying to get into Dublin. I'd be concerned about Limerick and Waterford traffic, and maybe even a few from Kerry, all hitting it at a similar time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

hardybuck wrote: »
    Upper Cusack has been opened, you can currently get one bang on the halfway. Much better lower Hogan have also just come on stream, which I've bought.

Also, the 25k restriction is for a small section, but the 60k limit is for the the length of the roadworks between Junction 9 and 10. Generally those roadworks are fine during non peak times, but awful during peak times. When it snowed a while back some people were stuck for hours on the Sunday night trying to get into Dublin. I'd be concerned about Limerick and Waterford traffic, and maybe even a few from Kerry, all hitting it at a similar time.

Took lower Hogan 333. Not too bad at all. Thanks.

I'll probably head up the usual route and go by coast road on way back.

Took lower Hogan 333. Not too bad at all. Thanks.

I'll probably head up the usual route and go by coast road on way back.

Same as myself. Halfway in the upper tier are also great seats but the atmosphere up there mightn't be great if it isn't that full.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

blueflame wrote: »

So called Pundits only ‘pen’ populist sh1te.....who remembers limerick getting bet by cork in their first league game.....don’t think we are in for a ten year period of dominance by LK as we got from kk in period 06-16 where they won 8 titles so w’ford Should not fear or feel anyway inferior to a team with one major title in 45 years....but then again I could be completely wrong. If w’ford Play to their strengths and have a good day, if the Bennett’s and Mahoney click up front, Gleeson can put in a good performance and the newer guys such as Lyons, etc continue improving we won’t be far away come Sunday at 4pm

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Greensoup

Agreed I’m from limerick weve played well twice against tipp and kk, and even against kk we got 2-2 in 4 minutes to pull clear. We beat wex by a goal playing ok, beaten at home by Cork, drew with Clare, win over a poor Laois and did enough to beat dubs. Lad on radio during week saying limerick steam rolling teams which is Pure bull......we re playing in bursts during games. 50-50 this weekend. Let best team win and move onto summer.

Limerick and Waterford are similar in that the biggest problem both teams will have is picking their starting 15. Both have very deep panels, with Limerick being a year further down the development path. I really hope we see both managers starting what resembles a championship team (sans injuries) and we get a bit of a battle that allows both the winner and loser to get a real measure of where they are at. After this it'll be club games and maybe a couple of challenge matches, so even though I agree the league was a bit phony this year I think Sunday's final has the potential to be a real contest.

Gutted I can't make it up..I knew when the cancellations happened earlier in the league that I'd get screwed but that's life.

• Advertisement

LIMERICK: Nickie Quaid; Tom Condon, Sean Finn, Richie English; Diarmaid Byrnes, Declan Hannon, Dan Morrissey; Cian Lynch, Darragh O'Donovan; Gearoid Hegarty, Kyle Hayes, Tom Morrissey; Aaron Gillane, Peter Casey, Graeme Mulcahy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement