Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

We need to get Pauric Mahoney back on the frees pronto.

Strange decision taking Jamie Barron off.

Maurice made a big impact.

Naive defending for the goal at the start but backs did better as game went on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Deise Gael wrote: »
    I don't care it's some joke firstly having Mickey Kearney anywhere near that team and then to have to look at him for the full game foostering, floundering and falling and contributing sweet f*ck all. If that's the most important thing that his brother brings to the management set up then he shouldn't bother.
    I really think you're being a bit hard on him. Take the 15 players that started. I'm not sure anyone really beat their man.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Deisefacts

[uote="Road-Hog;109826314"]This has to be the most negative post/rant in recent years..........some valid points but overall way too ‘glass half empty’......the Clare management not giving a toss and taking in all the celebrations.......missed that one.....the last sentence of the friend’s view of Walsh park developments another classic, how someone could rehash and post this and regard it as significant/insightful is beyond me.....total hyperbolic nonsense....

By the way heard Austin Gleeson has walked off the panel for the foreseeable future......big row with fanning in dressing room yesterday after match......something to do with The side line he put over the bar...?[/quote]

Which one of us was closer to the facts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Deisefacts wrote: »
    [uote="Road-Hog;109826314"]This has to be the most negative post/rant in recent years..........some valid points but overall way too ‘glass half empty’......the Clare management not giving a toss and taking in all the celebrations.......missed that one.....the last sentence of the friend’s view of Walsh park developments another classic, how someone could rehash and post this and regard it as significant/insightful is beyond me.....total hyperbolic nonsense....

By the way heard Austin Gleeson has walked off the panel for the foreseeable future......big row with fanning in dressing room yesterday after match......something to do with The side line he put over the bar...?

Which one of us was closer to the facts?[/quote]
    Where have you heard that? Half an hour after the match ended?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I think our management were given a lesson today by their Clare counterparts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

Clare much sharper all way through but Waterford finished strongly, being the only positive.

Too many unforced errors ; on at at least 2 occasions in the 2nd half, TDB caught in possession, coughing up scores and to top it off, Moran (completely unmarked and having loads of space), passes a ball to a Clare man near the end of the match, who promptly accepted gift of a point.

Think we'll have a different freetaker next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Bennett missing two frees Mahony would have scored, Moran gifting them a point when the momentum was with us, a soft goal and the line ball going against us at the end.

It was a comedy of errors.

Maurice should have been on 20 minutes earlier, a change was needed not more of the same i.e Curran and Prendergast.

Management have to take the blame for this if you ask me.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Management out of their depth

Bennett missing two frees Mahony would have scored, Moran gifting them a point when the momentum was with us, a soft goal and the line ball going against us at the end.

It was a comedy of errors.

Maurice should have been on 20 minutes earlier, a change was needed not more of the same i.e Curran and Prendergast.

Add in taking off Barron, the total confusion when Clare decided to play with a sweeper (as they always do) which led to them being allowed puck the ball out to free men in their half back line and midfield. That left Tadhg stranded in no man's land until half time while we were two on two inside our full back line.

And for some reason we were constantly taking 4/5 passes to cross our 45. When we finally went direct we caused trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Whatever else you say about Derek McGrath, at least there was a clear plan and everyone knew what it was. Today was headless chicken stuff.

And today should finally put to bed any notion a 25000 capacity stadium. Fortress Walsh Park my hole. We couldn't get close to filling the ground and were drowned out by the Clare support when the team needed a lift from the crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭seananigans

gents, every good idea has a thousand fathers, every bad idea is an orphan, it didnt work today, we were completely off the pace and still ended only a point shy.

I would remind you its easy to be a fair weather supporter, but to be in the ****e and still supporting, to be in the wind and rain in january, thats a real supporter.

Today didnt go well suck it up.only a point in it we are waterford, stand up and support,and quit the bitching

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I really think you're being a bit hard on him. Take the 15 players that started. I'm not sure anyone really beat their man.

Ah stop now! Imagine if you were Jamie Barron getting splinters on your a*se while looking at that fiddler trotting around the place. Not to mention, Maurice, Patrick Curran or Tommy Ryan.

It's a complete joke. He has been woeful throughout the entire League yet he started every match.

gents, every good idea has a thousand fathers, every bad idea is an orphan, it didnt work today, we were completely off the pace and still ended only a point shy.

I would remind you its easy to be a fair weather supporter, but to be in the ****e and still supporting, to be in the wind and rain in january, thats a real supporter.

Today didnt go well suck it up.only a point in it we are waterford, stand up and support,and quit the bitching

Apologies. I thought this was a discussion forum. You're right lets ignore all the points I made and say we all had a great day out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Next week will be daunting as **** going by how well tipp are playing atm

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

Whatever else you say about Derek McGrath, at least there was a clear plan and everyone knew what it was. Today was headless chicken stuff.

And today should finally put to bed any notion a 25000 capacity stadium. Fortress Walsh Park my hole. We couldn't get close to filling the ground and were drowned out by the Clare support when the team needed a lift from the crowd.

In fairness, the capacity of the grounds is set at 11,046 so being only 34 short of that isn't bad. Yeah it could clearly fit more but that's down to health and safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭seananigans

Apologies. I thought this was a discussion forum. You're right lets ignore all the points I made and say we all had a great day out

I never said that, you put 2 and 2 together and got 47, I said this is the time we are needed, if you cant be there in the bad times what use are you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Any word on Noel? Was it concussion or muscle injury ?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Alf Tupper

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Any word on Noel? Was it concussion or muscle injury ?

Pride. Shane O'Donnell was taking him to the cleaners.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

34 short - very close to a sell out. Even on All Ireland day capacity will be short 100 or so

• Advertisement

Next week might not be pretty with Tipp in today's form and then in Thurles too

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    Pride. Shane O'Donnell was taking him to the cleaners.
    How did you get on when you marked Shane Alf?

Nothing to fear and nothing to lose, truth is anyone in Munster can beat anyone on their day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

In fairness, the capacity of the grounds is set at 11,046 so being only 34 short of that isn't bad. Yeah it could clearly fit more but that's down to health and safety.

I didn't hear the attendance announcement - if there were over 11,000 there then it's real nanny state stuff with health and safety. There was still loads of room everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

On the way back to Cork and said I’d check in to see what’s being said. Nothing new on here any way. Singling out players and on the managements back already. It’s day one, give them a break.

Yes it was a poor performance, very disjointed, but I thought the support was equally poor. Shocking flat atmosphere until five minutes to go. Several times during the game different players tried to gee up the crowd - Clare fans made more noise for 65 minutes of the game.

The same issues persist in our half forward line. These aren’t new issues, we’ve struggled for ball winners for years now and it isn’t down to any particular player. It’s been a long-standing problem and until this is remedied then we won’t ever win an All Ireland. Very disappointing performance and I’ve just caught the tail end of the Cork v Tipp game. We have a hard road ahead of us now after today and if we don’t get a win next Sunday then the year is over. It’s as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Things would have been a lot more uncomfortable for the crowd of 11,000 if it had been peeing down, which is something the nannies have to take into consideration. The Clare crowd certainly made lot of noise but they had a lot more to shout about for 55 minutes. Once Waterford found their groove it was a different story. It was a great day's entertainment for €15 and here I am catching some rays in my back garden while they are still to be caught rather than schlepping through south Tipp. The first of many such days out in the future, I hope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Motivator wrote: »
    On the way back to Cork and said I’d check in to see what’s being said. Nothing new on here any way. Singling out players and on the managements back already. It’s day one, give them a break.

Yes it was a poor performance, very disjointed, but I thought the support was equally poor. Shocking flat atmosphere until five minutes to go. Several times during the game different players tried to gee up the crowd - Clare fans made more noise for 65 minutes of the game.

The same issues persist in our half forward line. These aren’t new issues, we’ve struggled for ball winners for years now and it isn’t down to any particular player. It’s been a long-standing problem and until this is remedied then we won’t ever win an All Ireland. Very disappointing performance and I’ve just caught the tail end of the Cork v Tipp game. We have a hard road ahead of us now after today and if we don’t get a win next Sunday then the year is over. It’s as simple as that.

No if we lose narrowly to Tipp next week but win the other 2 games then we could still get 3rd

If Tipp give us a hiding then its game over because our scoring difference goes out the window and not to mention morale. A one point defeat wasnt actually too bad today in the circumstances as opposed to a 10 point defeat which could have happened would make it very hard to claw back. Scoring difference is crucial as 3 teams could end up tied for 3rd on 4 points. It aint over and there will be twists and turns in this yet I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Disappointing day. Management team didn't have their best day. Play attacking hurling for most of the league, show real progress and then for the last 2 games go all negative.
    Also better players on the bench (fives, shanahan, Ryan or Curran) than players that started (McNulty, Kearney and Hogan).
    Hopefully we can see a massive improvement both on the sideline and the pitch the next day or the year will be over fairly quickly once again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Nothing to fear and nothing to lose, truth is anyone in Munster can beat anyone on their day.

I wonder where you picked up this "truth"? In the group games last year Tipperary and Waterford both failed to beat anyone in any of their four games. Limerick and Clare lost only one, and Cork lost none. Shouldn't happen if "the truth is" that anyone can beat anyone. This year's championship will have its teams at the back of the field too, just that because there are so few rounds this might not be apparent until near the end.

Powerhouse wrote: »
    I wonder where you picked up this "truth"? In the group games last year Tipperary and Waterford both failed to beat anyone in any of their four games. Limerick and Clare lost only one, and Cork lost none. Shouldn't happen if "the truth is" that anyone can beat anyone. This year's championship will have its teams at the back of the field too, just that because there are so few rounds this might not be apparent until near the end.

Bring your negativity with you into Monday morning, and have a little party with yourself, no hope for us all.

Munster championship is not one game, it’s not last year, onwards and upwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Very disappointing start to the summer championship after what was a promising league up to final. Firstly it's embarrassing that away supporters are so much louder than us but from being at Ballygunner v Ballyea and Sixmilebridge in Walsh Park in recent years, I'm not surprised as they have some great away fans in Clare. We're just not as passionate about the game as others it seems.

On the game itself, it was an awful start conceding the goal so early and we were lucky not to let another in as the full back line were under savage pressure with O'Donnell looking razor sharp. We just couldn't seem to get back into it. Our forwards could not win any ball and the Clare attack kept on coming. Six points down at half time was a very fair reflection on where we were. Connors going off was a blow but Shane Fives hit the ground running and did very well in his first game back and we can't blame our full back line from there on.

I would agree with some others that management were very slow to react and make changes but bringing on Tommy Ryan for Hogan at half time at least showed some initiative but I thought Maurice should have come on at least twenty minutes earlier. Pauric Mahony had a day he'll want to forget and should have been taken out a lot sooner. I'd say they could have taken off a few more too but didn't want to panic. Maurice was superb when he came on and really led the team. As bad as we were, we nearly came back and got the draw. That stupid pass from Moran cost us a point, a few missed frees, the free from Aussie that maybe we should have put over the bar etc etc.
    In the end, Clare probably deserved it but just like their league visit to Walsh Park, they lacked that bit of power to drive on put us to the sword.

I have to say I was caught out myself by the speed of championship hurling in Walsh Park. It started at some pace!

Positives I suppose are that Shane Fives is back, De Burca got going in the second half. Maurice is one of our best players and should be getting more game time, Austin was more involved than he has been in recent games and hit some nice points, Jack Prendergast did well enough when he came on too.

Minors didn't look great in general. Caolan Macgraith from the Gaelteacht was back on the team again. He was one of the stars from last year. He's some little warrior and for his height, is well able to catch a ball. He could teach the seniors a thing or two!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

So much for the predicted poor Clare support! Going over the bridge this morning, there was a lot of CE reg cars about .... I even spotted some Clare jerseys on Ballybricken. Plenty of vocal Clare support at the match too, especially near the city end of the stand.

One thing that really frustrated me today was the amount of times our players were about to receive a pass and they just stood there waiting for the ball to come to them like a puck around which then allowed the Clare player come in to intercept or put them under pressure. I don't know why they aren't moving towards the ball to get it in their hand quicker and give them that little bit of extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Great summary. I watched the minor game also and must say they look to be a very average side at best. Clare not much better but hit a purple patch with 10 minutes to go and did enough to get over the line.
    Just to reiterate what several posters have pointed out previously about our senior side in that 4 or 5 of our forwards didn’t fire, Barron was below standard definitely so it was always going to be a struggle with all these factors taken into account. The changes were definitely too slow in coming and I would imagine changes to the first 15 for next week. Prunty, after a shaky start did very well on Conlon which is a great achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I have to say I was caught out myself by the speed of championship hurling in Walsh Park. It started at some pace!

Yes, this!

Also, the noise, intensity, the greater numbers, the sun high in the sky, the warm air!

Great occasion today, just wonderful to have championship hurling at home... the river of supporters walking in the Slievekeale Road afterwards.

If only we’d won, but it wasn’t to be... still three games to go. Hopefully Tipp will lapse into complacency after their excellent display today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Pity that Waterford really only found their momentum at the fiftieth minute. Felt a bit dull up until then, the last five minutes was pretty incredible, but sadly it was five minutes a little too late. I do believe we were capable of beating Clare, but they were just the more consistent side. Conceding that early goal was a terrible mistakeand i think it really gave Clare the psychological edge.

Hard luck but the Clare vs Waterford rivalry lives on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 goldfinger4296

Derrick Lynch (@DLynchSport) Tweeted:
    Ah here. What was your man looking at??? https://t.co/Zx6r0T4NPE https://twitter.com/DLynchSport/status/1127593663490605057?s=17

I thought the same too I thought ffs he's gone how stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

They gave as good as they got when it came to throwing slaps today the Clare lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭5948ai

Clare gave enough of it today!

Can ask aswell why Bennett is on frees when Mahony is one of the best free takers around, if Pauric was on frees we would probably have won that game today. He missed a few in the league final aswell, its just poor decision making from management. I can understand in the league putting him on frees trying to get his confidence up but for championship you have to go with your best free taker.

BTW I'm not blaming Bennett he's just not a 9 out of 10 man like Paudie is. Its crazy stuff from the management

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

Very disappointing start to the summer championship after what was a promising league up to final. Firstly it's embarrassing that away supporters are so much louder than us but from being at Ballygunner v Ballyea and Sixmilebridge in Walsh Park in recent years, I'm not surprised as they have some great away fans in Clare. We're just not as passionate about the game as others it seems.

On the game itself, it was an awful start conceding the goal so early and we were lucky not to let another in as the full back line were under savage pressure with O'Donnell looking razor sharp. We just couldn't seem to get back into it. Our forwards could not win any ball and the Clare attack kept on coming. Six points down at half time was a very fair reflection on where we were. Connors going off was a blow but Shane Fives hit the ground running and did very well in his first game back and we can't blame our full back line from there on.

I would agree with some others that management were very slow to react and make changes but bringing on Tommy Ryan for Hogan at half time at least showed some initiative but I thought Maurice should have come on at least twenty minutes earlier. Pauric Mahony had a day he'll want to forget and should have been taken out a lot sooner. I'd say they could have taken off a few more too but didn't want to panic. Maurice was superb when he came on and really led the team. As bad as we were, we nearly came back and got the draw. That stupid pass from Moran cost us a point, a few missed frees, the free from Aussie that maybe we should have put over the bar etc etc.
    In the end, Clare probably deserved it but just like their league visit to Walsh Park, they lacked that bit of power to drive on put us to the sword.

Positives I suppose are that Shane Fives is back, De Burca got going in the second half. Maurice is one of our best players and should be getting more game time, Austin was more involved than he has been in recent games and hit some nice points, Jack Prendergast did well enough when he came on too.

Minors didn't look great in general. Caolan Macgraith from the Gaelteacht was back on the team again. He was one of the stars from last year. He's some little warrior and for his height, is well able to catch a ball. He could teach the seniors a thing or two!!

Fine ya, but what's going to change for the next day??

We all know that Mikey Kearney will start again. It's a f*cking joke!

Are you really trying to say that Jamie Barron should have been taken off today before him?

I'll agree with you about Shane Fives, he steadied the ship when he came on. Noelie was struggling.

Why not call it as it was? Prunty, Tadgh, Stephen Bennett, Austin Gleeson and Jamie Barron are about the only lads who played to the standard.

The sh*ite about Paudie having an off day is rubbish. He's been hiding behind frees for years under McGrath. Paudie has never contributed from play, full stop.

When are we going to challenge the nepotism that has a brother's selector picking him and making him a laughing stock?

James Murray is the free taking coach?? FFS

One of the main problems is Mikey Kearney is nailed on at centre forward next weekend on Paudie Maher, you couldn't make this stuff up.

They brought him to centre field today instead of Jamie Barron, sweet Jesus.

WE have NOBODY to win ball in our half forward line!

The bottom line is our half forward line has been cleaned out against decent opposition for years and unless we get some real men in there we're at nothing.

What happened to Seamus Keating, Ray Barry, Paudie Prendergast? At least they can hurl and are 6ft and over. A good big man is always better than a good small man. We are getting blown out of it. Look at our half forward line compared to Limerick's.

Anyone who thinks we're going to challenge this year with this panel are deluding themselves.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Deise Gael wrote:
    One of the main problems is Mikey Kearney is nailed on at centre forward next weekend on Paudie Maher, you couldn't make this stuff up.

Have to agree there , very over rated player . We were out foxed in the first half . The goal was the difference but Stephen Bennett had a great goal chance not long after clares goal and fluffed it. When I saw Conor Gleeson starting midfield I assumed he was to man mark Tony Kelly but that didn't happen in the first half . The full forward line got no ball in the first half and Shane Bennett was very frustrated , he needs to be out the field. Maurice has to start instead of Kearney and S Fives instead of mcnulty. I thought Austin done well and still can't fathom Jamie being taken off. He can change a game in a minute . Pauric Mahoney outside of free taking offers very little

To be fair I thought Austin was the major positive. He wasn't in hurler of the year form but he hit four from play, was our only outlet for puck outs until the subs came on and he worked back as well. Note how far back he came from for the Clare goal to be the closest to Conlan as it's scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭caddy16

cul beag wrote: »
    Great summary. I watched the minor game also and must say they look to be a very average side at best. Clare not much better but hit a purple patch with 10 minutes to go and did enough to get over the line.
    Just to reiterate what several posters have pointed out previously about our senior side in that 4 or 5 of our forwards didn’t fire, Barron was below standard definitely so it was always going to be a struggle with all these factors taken into account. The changes were definitely too slow in coming and I would imagine changes to the first 15 for next week. Prunty, after a shaky start did very well on Conlon which is a great achievement.

That's a very young Clare minor team, 8 or 9 underage again next year.

Prunty marshalled Conlon very well, was impressed with him.

We could easily get a hiding if Tipp bring there form today into next week. There at home with there legend Liam Sheedy back at the helm. Scary stuff.

Like the game in Limerick last year we need too give it everything next week

This new system and calendar is terrible. ****ing all over as fast as it started. How is exactly helping things ???. Club games are still not being played til August (which was always the norm for most counties)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

PTH2009 wrote: »
    We could easily get a hiding if Tipp bring there form today into next week. There at home with there legend Liam Sheedy back at the helm. Scary stuff.

This new system and calendar is terrible. ****ing all over as fast as it started. How is exactly helping things ???. Club games are still not being played til August (which was always the norm for most counties)

Will you relax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

PTH2009 wrote: »

I always said there needs to be some form of playoff system for the bottom two teams in each group and replace the one team that comes out of that play off with the joe McDonagh cup runner up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Are you really trying to say that Jamie Barron should have been taken off today before him?

I'll agree with you about Shane Fives, he steadied the ship when he came on. Noelie was struggling.

Why not call it as it was? Prunty, Tadgh, Stephen Bennett, Austin Gleeson and Jamie Barron are about the only lads who played to the standard.

The sh*ite about Paudie having an off day is rubbish. He's been hiding behind frees for years under McGrath. Paudie has never contributed from play, full stop.

When are we going to challenge the nepotism that has a brother's selector picking him and making him a laughing stock?

The bottom line is our half forward line has been cleaned out against decent opposition for years and unless we get some real men in there we're at nothing.

What happened to Seamus Keating, Ray Barry, Paudie Prendergast? At least they can hurl and are 6ft and over. A good big man is always better than a good small man. We are getting blown out of it. Look at our half forward line compared to Limerick's.

Anyone who thinks we're going to challenge this year with this panel are deluding themselves.

Sorry now but that’s bollocks. Mikey Kearney has been there with 4 or 5 years and also one of the stand out performers for us in the league I didn’t hear any talk of nepotism then.

It was the same **** with Derek McGrath anytime Maurice drove a wide or misplaced a pass we were drowning in a world of nepotism due to Dan being selector

That’s the only insightful analysis that some people are capable of unfortunately

You need to calm down. Not sure if you meant to reply to someone else as I didn't mention Kearney but yeah I agree, I would've taken him off at half time too along with Mahony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Deisefacts

Deisefacts wrote: »
    Christ I must be living in a different county or at different games over the last few weeks then some of the commentators on here. We are physically not up to competing with the top 4/5 teams in hurling. In the famed words of the Derry girls “ catch yereselfs onâ€. Derek knows this, hence the reason he played a sweeper, other teams copped on to this and we got exposed for it. I don’t blame Derek for trying to sweeper system with the players he had at his disposal. Paraic is trying to not use an out and out sweeper but is trying to crowd out certain areas of the pitch with the players he has( which is basically the same as Derek minus 2/3 players) and was hoping brick might win Some puc outs on Sunday, but sadly bricks best days are behind him with a year or 2. Brick has been a brilliant servant to the county over the years but I genuinely believe he needs to step away from the panel immediately. Dublin showed us we couldn’t compete with the physical teams. Clare didn’t want to beat us in Walsh Park and give us ammunition.you could clearly see the Clare lads or management didn’t give a toss about the result at the end but were taking in all the celebrations we were doing. How Galway lost the semi final is still a mystery to me? They should’ve been out of sight at 1/2 time and have forward problems of their own.
    In my opinion we’ve major problems that aren’t being addressed by the county board.
    1) poorly structured club championships from adult to underage. There is a Serious unwillingness for club supporters to attend their own club games. Why? So if people won’t go to their club games they definitely won’t go to intercounty matches where they don’t have any great connection with the players having not seen them at club level. If you ask the majority of players playing in the club championships they will tell you they’ve lost interest in it over the last 6/7 years. It doesn’t matter to some if they win lose or draw. Some are only too delighted to be gone out of championship before they start college in September as it interferes with their social lives in college if they’ve to come back home for training during the week
    2) underage age development is gone through the floor. Is it because you can’t get the right people involved anymore? You have to have all these coaching badges, Garda vetting, child welfare, child protection courses, etc etc to train a juvenile team in a club and from what I see the majority of club teams(juvenile) have the wrong person training these teams and hence they get involved with development squads and therefore the standard coming into county set ups over the last 2/3 years has been average to say the least.
    Underage championships are also poor. Last years minor club hurling championship for instance, there was more teams in the 3rd division 13 a side championship then there was in divisions 1-2. Then the county secretary( without any direction from the clubs) decide to make 2 groups of east and west. It was voted on a few years ago that all underage championships would be run on a county wide basis. Why did he do it?

These are just a few observations I think if we can correct them will make a difference in future years. Is there will power from the top table to make the necessary changes? Do the top table recognize the problems with underage in the county? Are they only looking at the here and now and are happy to take victories like the Galway one which papers over the cracks and keeps the Monday morning radio people happy?
    I stay back for the Kerry/mayo game yesterday and got talking to a friend of mine from the city and he made some great points regarding the developments which will go on in Walsh Park, he made a great comment at the end that the most expensive thing in Walsh Park will be the merry go round for the board officers to get on and off at the various different jobs they want. We need new ideas from fresh minds.

I still stand over these comments. And after seeing our minor team beaten by a Clare team with 8 u-16s on it to say I’m worried about the future is an understatement. Over the last few weeks our underage development squads have received massive hammerings from divisional squads of other counties.
    Was there any player u-23 on our panel today. We’ve now a situation were we’ve 4/5yrs of no one coming through from minor teams. If we are not careful we could end up as the Offaly of Munster and be talking about past glories.
    Over the last 10 yrs we’ve received nearly €1m ( 2nd highest behind cork in Munster despite having the fewest clubs in Munster)from croke park towards coaching and games. Have we got value for money? What’s going on at juvenile level? Who is involved in coaching & games from board level? Who is over coaching and games? What are board Na og doing?
    In my opinion there is 2 officers on the board that need to be removed with immediate effect ( they aren’t doing the jobs they were appointed to do) and there is also 2 members of deise og that need to be removed straight away ( the job is too big for them and they are completely out of their dept).
    We can’t accept things anymore and need to change our underage structures.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement