Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Squinters wrote: »
    The players reaction is fairly telling. They're the ones giving up 5 or 6 evenings a week most of the year and notwithstanding the disappointing results they want Derek to stay. He's made some impression on some of them as men and unless the next pick as manager is the right one we could be looking at a J1 exodus next summer.

It's off-topic but I'd say the levels of commitment expected for most serious set-ups now is going to really impact on player-retention in the coming years especially. I don't have any stats to hand but there already seems to be a lot of players dropping off panels to go abroad or focus on their careers etc. It may not be a bad thing in the long run though, and might go some way towards reeling in the craziness of the training loads being experienced at intercounty level now.

If he does stay on so be it but imo it's time for change and Derek has brought us as far as he can.

The new calender came in at the wrong time for us considering we were the AI final and we had our team holiday a few weeks before the league. Pre season for 2018 was prob mild compared to some teams but obv I don't knw what went on and prob will never find out.

Anyway Derek or whoever takes over for 2019 has plenty of time to sort things out. They could be back training by October. I wonder will we go back into the Munster league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Simo08

This talk of players going on J1s next summer is fairly disappointing. They either want to play for the county or they don't. I know there's mitigating factors like who's in charge etc but considering we were so close last year you would think lads really want to put the shoulder to the wheel and try to achieve something.

I know the intercounty scene is incredibly demanding on players now but its the same across the board for all teams. Looking at counties like KK or Tipp this type of thing doesn't seem to be an issue, players like TJ Reid and Seamus callinan had to bide their time on the fringes and now they have all Ireland medals.

The intercounty career and schedule is tough going but its becoming shorter and shorter surely the time is now to make hay and try win the big one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Simo08 wrote: »

I know the intercounty scene is incredibly demanding on players now but its the same across the board for all teams. Looking at counties like KK or Tipp this type of thing doesn't seem to be an issue, players like TJ Reid and Seamus callinan had to bide their time on the fringes and now they have all Ireland medals.

The intercounty career and schedule is tough going but its becoming shorter and shorter surely the time is now to make hay and try win the big one.

Both had all ireland medals by the age of 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Why is Waterford v Monaghan in dungarvan? And not Walsh park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

C__MC wrote: »
    Why is Waterford v Monaghan in dungarvan? And not Walsh park?

Wouldn't expect it to be in Walsh park, vast majority of the football squad are from the west of the county

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Virtually every county (throw in London and New York too) can host a championship match except Waterford ; this didn’t happen overnight so it’s not all down to the current county board. What is inexcusable, however, is how they rolled over with regard to the match venues this year.

I'm not one to defend the county board and agree they rolled over way to easily. But regarding order counties hosting games, it's a big difference for say new York hosting Leitrim, Carlow hosting offaly in football than hosting a big Munster championship game. Waterford can host similar smaller scale championship games as shown by the Waterford Monaghan game being on in Dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭willbeuptuesday

Because they want a crowd to show up, do you really think that people from Waterford City will support Gaelic Football. They don't even take it seriously in their clubs with the noticeable exception of Gailter. Football is mainly played in the West and there it should be played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

We haven't played a football Championship match in Walsh Park since 2006 against Longford. The match against Monaghan will be the 12th home game since then, all of which were played in Fraher, so this is hardly a new development <insert "the grounds are not either" gag here>.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

deiseach wrote: »
    We haven't played a football Championship match in Walsh Park since 2006 against Longford. The match against Monaghan will be the 12th home game since then, all of which were played in Fraher, so this is hardly a new development <insert "the grounds are not either" gag here>.

I know people from the city and the east won’t agree and I know the population is higher in the east but for me Fraher Field is the ideal GAA pitch in the county to be developed. Loads of space behind each stand to develop, space to put terraces behind each goal, 6 dressing rooms, ample parking out past the mart and into town and in car parks and the best surface in the county (when not abused). Imagine the Square on Munster championship day? It would be brilliant with a great atmosphere around the place!

I know people from the city and the east won’t agree and I know the population is higher in the east but for me Fraher Field is the ideal GAA pitch in the county to be developed. Loads of space behind each stand to develop, space to put terraces behind each goal, 6 dressing rooms, ample parking out past the mart and into town and in car parks and the best surface in the county (when not abused). Imagine the Square on Munster championship day? It would be brilliant with a great atmosphere around the place!

I'm from the east and I think there is definitely a case to be made for Fraher for all the reasons you mention. Lovely setting as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

Sure even a cursory glance at fraher field on google maps shows how perfect it is for redevelopment. You wound't have much room for a terrace on the western end though.

I can't see it every happening. As a westerner myself, I really don't give a feic where it is built and just want to see something decent done as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

puzl wrote: »
    Sure even a cursory glance at fraher field on google maps shows how perfect it is for redevelopment.    You wound't have much room for a terrace on the western end though.

I can't see it every happening.  As a westerner myself, I really don't give a feic where it is built and just want to see something decent done as quickly as possible.
    Apparently the pitch would have to be rotated which would increase the cost too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Gardner

the square in dungarvan is an absolute **** hole.

keep the venue in the city close to services and infrastructure

Thus ended the lesson!

I can't see it every happening. As a westerner myself, I really don't give a feic where it is built and just want to see something decent done as quickly as possible.

If they get through the plan they have mooted for Walsh Park with bucket seats in the stand, proper terraces around two sides and dressing rooms down at the city end, it'll be a good day's work. Big if...

Thus ended the lesson!

2c7w1c.jpg

Any word on the under 21s who play Cork next weds ???

Have heard Cork are very strong in the u21 dis season and going by our minor teams post 2014 we won't have a great squad this year at u21 but ya never knw

Hoping for a win sunday for the minors and it will give us diehards something to cheer for. Not expecting many to travel but hoping a few go for the minors and brick. A spirited performance by the seniors is needed and be nice to end this horrible season and a high even if a little bittersweet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Thanks folks. Always thought Walsh park was the main GAA stadium but see now the logistics in having it in dungarvan!

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

So the latest we’re hearing is that the current regime want to stay in power for another year. The feelers are being put out for a response. The next few weeks will be interesting.

• Advertisement

cul beag wrote: »
    So the latest we’re hearing is that the current regime want to stay in power for another year. The feelers are being put out for a response. The next few weeks will be interesting.

I have good time for Derek and appreciate what he has achieved BUT time has come, time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

I hear he's going to put out a Griezman like video next week:D

50/50 on derek staying on

For- players respect the hell out of him, 2018 was full of bad luck with Injuries/fixtures so close together. Time on there hands to get planning/prep for 2019 up and running early and we have 1B to experiment in.

against- maybe its time for a change of voice, needs new ideas like Tactics, adding players to the squad, more experimental teams. Could end up being the same old ****e next year. Needs treat the league more seriously

so many other arguements

carter10 wrote: »
    I hear he's going to put out a Griezman like video next week:D

😂😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

What did Einstein say the definition of insanity was?...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

I believe that the idea of the current management staying on is being led by some of the players . Apparently 9 players have indicated that they will be leaving the panel if the current management aren't staying on . Crazy stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

I believe that the idea of the current management staying on is being led by some of the players . Apparently 9 players have indicated that they will be leaving the panel if the current management aren't staying on . Crazy stuff

I thought this was definitely Derek's last year?. If this is true and 9 players have threatened to leave the panel if current management don't stay on, what do they the players hope to achieve by this?. They should be allowed to leave if that is the case.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Tramore84 wrote:
    I thought this was definitely Derek's last year?. If this is true and 9 players have threatened to leave the panel if current management don't stay on, what do they the players hope to achieve by this?. They should be allowed to leave if that is the case.

I agree with you. The guy who told me that this evening woujd be very close to a member of the panel and he would rarely tell you anything but he was raging at this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I agree with you. The guy who told me that this evening woujd be very close to a member of the panel and he would rarely tell you anything but he was raging at this

Thanks for sharing that.
    I worry now that Derek has done more damage to Waterford hurling than anyone imagined previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Mulbert

Tramore84 wrote: »

This is hilarious, "they should be allowed to leave", are u saying that someone can stop them leaving or disallow them leaving. GUBU stuff.

I'm confused at all this

Its good indication that some players want Derek to stay but bad that Derek is the only reason there staying and it shows the influence he has

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

6mFMX6bhttp:

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Imagine the Square on Munster championship day? It would be brilliant with a great atmosphere around the place!

Like Dungarvan Square below for a Munster Championship match in 1924.

Image scanned from The GAA A People's History by Cronin, Duncan and Rouse (hope they don't mind). The original is on the Waterford County Museum website but it's not accessible at the moment.

There is never any atmosphere in Waterford for a big match. Most of the supporters come in from the west and go straight to Walsh Park, and head homewards immediately after the match. Dungarvan has loads of pubs and restaurants within easy walking distance of Fraher Field, which also has space for a badly-need Centre of Excellence. Also closer to other Munster counties for Munster Championship games.

453384.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Mulbert

Board Failte and the Vintners Association should contribute or maybe build a new stadium so? County council can build a new multi story and museum for all the model T's.

Had heard the same thing but also that others are happy to see a new management team in place for next year. What will happen is the senior members of the squad will flex their muscle and threaten to withdraw their services that way forcing their squad mates/county board into leaving the current regime in place. We saw the mess this created in Cork when that stuff started to happen. Yes ask for an input from some of them but to be heald over a barrel by them? I don’t think so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Gardner

if the word on the street is true then its good news that DMG is staying on. prob freshen things up in the background with coaches and and selectors! the 9 that's stated above i believe that figure is higher talking to a clubmate of mine on the extended panel. its been driven by senior members of the panel. players meeting scheduled in the weeks after the Cork game.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

Mulbert wrote: »
    This is hilarious, "they should be allowed to leave", are u saying that someone can stop them leaving or disallow them leaving. GUBU stuff.

Yes. If, the players are forcing Derek to stay then those same players should also be forced to play for at least 10 years each. Brick doesn't have to do this as he has already played for 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

WLR now, very interesting, Pat Flynn and Paddy Joe on

I'd be delighted if DMG stayed on and refreshed the starting team with more of the minor/u21 winning teams.

edit: bring sean power in too.

Gardner wrote: »
    if the word on the street is true then its good news that DMG is staying on. prob freshen things up in the background with coaches and and selectors! the 9 that's stated above i believe that figure is higher talking to a clubmate of mine on the extended panel. its been driven by senior members of the panel. players meeting scheduled in the weeks after the Cork game.
    Bring in more yes men? That’s the last thing we need! Plenty of options that would BENEFIT the set up but will not be approached as their vision on how the team should set up would differ greatly to the manager’s view so alas, if he does decide to”freshen it up” then it’s more nodding donkeys that will be taken on board. As I posted earlier, yes the players opinions should be taken on board but under no circumstances should we be held to ransom by them.

WLR now, very interesting, Pat Flynn and Paddy Joe on

About?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭willbeuptuesday

They are struggling to answer a lot of questions ! They don't come across to well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

The plans for Walsh Park a joke not future proof it at all , embarrassing effort to be honest deserve better , no vision from these gentlemen . Very poor interview by county chairman and secretary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

Bring in more yes men? That’s the last thing we need! Plenty of options that would BENEFIT the set up but will not be approached as their vision on how the team should set up would differ greatly to the manager’s view so alas, if he does decide to”freshen it up” then it’s more nodding donkeys that will be taken on board. As I posted earlier, yes the players opinions should be taken on board but under no circumstances should we be held to ransom by them.
    Disaster season mcgrath must go even for the shambles of getting relegated in the league . Next year is going to be terrible for away supporters

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

A number of the panel are heading to the states I believe so that players meeting may have to wait.
    Personally I think it’s time to freshen things up with a new manager. The players loyalty is admirable, it’s often that a manager is being chased out the door. I think Derek knew himself that this year was a risk after going so close last year but was drawn back by the players. It hasn’t worked out unfortunately, for a number of different reasons, but now is time for change.
    I would hope that outside of maybe a retirement or 2 the players will row in behind a new manager. There’s always a risk of 1 or 2 dropping off especially with a change over but I wouldn’t expect anything near the numbers mentioned here to be unavailable. That’s provided we get the appointment right.
    A poor appointment here could set us back a long, long way.

decies wrote: »
    The plans for Walsh Park a joke not future proof it at all , embarrassing effort to be honest deserve better , no vision from these gentlemen . Very poor interview by county chairman and secretary.

The 2 lads are so out of touch like the lads at the bar from Killinasckully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

PTH2009 wrote: »

The 2 lads are so out of touch like the lads at the bar from Killinasckully

Any link to interview

Any link to interview

It will prob be up on WLRs SoundCloud later today

Why do the plans need to be 'future proof'? Building something that can be used now would be good.

Those of you sitting on the fence about going on Sunday should reconsider.

http://www.gaa.ie/features/feature/record-breaker-brick-leaves-his-legacy-stone/

• Advertisement

deiseach wrote: »

Why do the plans need to be 'future proof'? Building something that can be used now would be good.

And then in 10 years we will be stuck with the worst stadium in Ireland again...

Why dont they target the next RWC bid? Go to government and say we want to build a decent 30,000+ stadium and we need funds to do it. This will be another decent stadium in a city which can only help the bid. I know 30,000+ might sound excessive to some but this is what we should be aiming for, not a cellotape and plaster job of a dirthole.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement