Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

Game On ..... to quote Ted Hastings ("Line of Duty") ..... 'now you're sucking diesel'. Like the look of the team (with Maurice to come on) ; won't be easy but I think they will die with their boots on.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Game On ..... to quote Ted Hastings ("Line of Duty") ..... 'now you're sucking diesel'. Like the look of the team (with Maurice to come on) ; won't be easy but I think they will die with their boots on.
    Great a moral victory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

So what your saying is it’s pure rubbish to say Waterford would have beaten Clare if they played to their potential but give them a great chance of beating Tipp. just how good do you beleive Clare are?

Is that what you got from my post?? Seriously??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Any reason why MacCraith from Ring isn’t being picked to start for the minors. Thought he was one of our best forwards last year, looked class

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Any reason why MacCraith from Ring isn’t being picked to start for the minors. Thought he was one of our best forwards last year, looked class

I was wondering too. He was brilliant last year and also a late addition to the starting side last week and again one of the best players. Some man to win his own ball and no fear on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Deisefacts

I was wondering too. He was brilliant last year and also a late addition to the starting side last week and again one of the best players. Some man to win his own ball and no fear on him.

From my understanding there is 4/5 changes in the minor team from last week. I thought the days of these dummy teams were long gone. How’s ever best of luck to them

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Just back from injury according to another players father.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

He did start last week depite being named number 21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

When was the last time we got a penalty in the championship? Was it 2014 v Wexford?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

The apparent dropping of Shane McNulty for tomorrow’s game in Thurles is interesting in that McNulty was way ahead of all other Waterford players against Clare in terms of number of possessions (18). Even allowing that five of these were short puckouts from Stephen O’Keeffe, his remaining 13 possessions were matched only by Philip Mahony. McNulty did a very good job in terms of covering back and tidying up, but some would prefer to see a more aggressive and physical player at corner back.

The difference between the Waterford and Clare puckout strategy last Sunday was striking. Of Waterford’s 30 puckouts, 17 were long and 13 were short (i.e. to one of the full backs standing on the 20 metre line). The latter were then usually dispatched down the line to one of the Bennetts, a tactic that yielded poor dividends, as detailed in my previous post. Clare hit 24 long puckouts and just one short puckout. The Clare goalie also hit six directed puckouts to unmarked team mates between the 45 metre and halfway lines, which provided them with a good launching pad to either play a long ball into the full forward line or work the ball to Tony Kelly.

This “directed puckout” tactic requires outfield players to work hard to get free from their markers and goalkeepers to deliver the ball accurately, and needs to be worked on in training. However, where it works it can be very advantageous, particularly in providing the opportunity to take the opposing half-back line out of the equation. Given Waterford’s lack of ball winners in the half forwards, you would wonder why the directed puckout does not appear to be part of their game plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

We have too get our underage structures in order looking at Offaly today.

A once top hurling county down by 11pts in the 2nd tier Championship

Nervous enough about tomorrow hard too believe it could be it realistically over for the year if we lose

Hope the players give it everything and leave there all on the pitch. Far too much effort too be finished this early In this farcical system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Nervous enough about tomorrow hard too believe it could be it realistically over for the year if we lose

Hope the players give it everything and leave there all on the pitch. Far too much effort too be finished this early In this farcical system

Two years ago our first game was June 19th v cork. Which we lost but got to final. This year all could be done and dusted on May 19th.....:( :(

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Two years ago our first game was June 19th v cork. Which we lost but got to final. This year all could be done and dusted on May 19th.....:( :(

That's what I'm saying it's far too early and for whar. Club fixtures are still be dragged out and bar the final not the attracting more ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

That's what I'm saying it's far too early and for whar. Club fixtures are still be dragged out and bar the final not the attracting more ??

Elaborate on the last line? Not attracting more what? It’s not about pleasing the supporters it’s about looking after the club player in both codes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

The Tipp forwards are very strong. If we can't contain them it'll put extra pressure on us to score if we want a positive result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

I'd be more nervous if you predicted a win

Gavlor wrote: »
    Elaborate on the last line? Not attracting more what? It’s not about pleasing the supporters it’s about looking after the club player in both codes

The club was being looked after before the new system it was more down too CB **** ups regarding fixtures and listening too management of certain teams

This new system is not promoting the club game or even the overall game. The intercounty season is being run off way too early now and what may of been a highlight of a primary school kids school holiday is over before they even get into their last month of school for a good % of counties.

The excitement of the summer championships is not the same no matter how much its marketed and attendances are showing that

The club was being looked after before the new system

I stopped reading after this.

You do realise that there is no county scene without the clubs?

I stopped reading after this.

You do realise that there is no county scene without the clubs?

Yeah I knw that but some supporters never grew up with the club scene and I try my best too support it but it's a different walk of life for people involved in clubs and not (generations playing for teams, helping out etc) . I'm from the city and not a member of any club but would keep interested in it through social media etc and would attend games if I can

Do u think all those looking for tickets for the 2017 AI final were into the club scene ??

That's my opinion on it all and not trying to be disrespectful

• Advertisement

Yeah I knw that but some supporters never grew up with the club scene and I try my best too support it but it's a different walk of life for people involved in clubs and not (generations playing for teams, helping out etc) . I'm from the city and not a member of any club but would keep interested in it through social media etc and would attend games if I can

Do u think all those looking for tickets for the 2017 AI final were into the club scene ??

That's my opinion on it all and not trying to be disrespectful

Literally everyone has a club, whether they’re involved or not is a different matter. Would you not offer your services to whatever club you live near? You seem to love the game so why net get involved where it really matters? The county team is only the showpiece

Literally everyone has a club, whether they’re involved or not is a different matter. Would you not offer your services to whatever club you live near? You seem to love the game so why net get involved where it really matters? The county team is only the showpiece

Not for me but have family heavily involved with a county club and hoping it will continue for some time

I admire those involved in the grassroots and think they do a great job but factors arise and not everyone can help out but one I love going away and supporting Waterford as much as I can and there are many others the same and it's a shame it's not spread out as much as it was nowadays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Stayed up last week to watch the clare game here. I thought it was a very poor display.

The puck out strategy for me made no sense what so ever.
    I'm mostly positive but I can see it being a bloodbath on Sunday.

Hope I'm wrong!

Best of luck to both teams today. Here's hoping we can get things back on track

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭914

The excitement of the summer championships is not the same no matter how much its marketed and attendances are showing that

Really? Attendances? Over 40k attened both games last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Hope we shake the onion bag a few times today lads. If we get two or three we’ll win. Up the Déise!

Best of luck too both teams today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I said here earlier on in the week that I wasn’t any way confident of getting a result in Thurles and not much has happened to change that view for me. I’m sure we’ll put in a better showing than last Sunday but can’t see it being enough to get over Tipp. Can unfortunately see their ff line of Callanan, Bubbles and John McGrath getting plenty of joy. A few early Tipp goals and it’ll be a long afternoon.
    The only hope I have is that we’re going in with very little expectation, not many are giving us a chance whereas the media have been all talking about Tipp all week so hopefully that complacent mentality seems into the Tipp team. The lads will obviously want to put in a better performance than last week and I’m sure last years phantom goal for Tipp will be used as a bit of extra motivation. Thurles is a home away from home that we’re well used to playing on.

Will gladly look a fool and be way off the mark if we can somehow pull off a win but I’ll go with Tipp by 6-8 and effectively summer over. Please prove me wrong Pauric and the lads.

All the very best to the minors and seniors today and safe travels for all heading up.

Minors losing 1-6 to 1-9 half time. A man down too

• Advertisement

Good fight put up by the minors but lose out 3-15- 2-15

Decent crowd

Fair play to the minors. Losing the man killed them but showed great heart to keep going.

****ing joke tbh

The management team doesn't have a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Gardner

Fanning is an absolute disgrace. Can he be sacked now. This is as bad as Georgie Leahy and Greg Fives days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭Ixlandia

Jeez why can’t we just run at them? Tipp full back line are cleaning up, and have it far too easy. Season over if this is the case, we need to run at them, not put all our hopes down to taking pot shots from the half way line. Management need to react much quicker than allowing this to go on for 35 minutes

• Advertisement

Last week I felt we lost the game on the sideline. I'm not sure what they could do to have us living with Tipp today. They just look a better team

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

I'm all for giving new management teams a chance and there was optimism after a solid league campaign, however I can't help but feel that Waterford under Derek McGrath would have managed this and last weeks game better.

Long 2nd half ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Fannings time as manager might be short lived id say.

Tipperary look light years ahead of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Tipp not even breaking sweat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

This painful to watch. Utter ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Hard to see us winning a game in the round robin the way things are going. Brutal tactics and some players just going through the motions and looking like they are lacking interest. Why are we persisting with the puck out tactics? Hitting 50/50 puck outs 50 yards out from goal is a recipe for disaster. Depressing stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Hawkeye ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

The way we're playing we wouldn't win a raffle, not to mind an All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

The way we're playing we wouldn't win a raffle, not to mind an All Ireland.

Worst fears transpired. Season well and truely over. That was as bad as any of the defeats in recent years.......18 pts is severe.....throw in a few new guys for next two games and concentrate on next season.....will fanning stay....???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭914

Jaysus lads hard two weeks. Hard to pick any positives out of the past two weeks.

Out of 150 mins or so of hurling we've played about 20 minutes.

Lack of communication between players.

Lack of a solid plan.

Poor distribution of ball (including puck outs)

A lot of points giving away from errors by ourselves.

Being second to the ball.

Unable to win our of puck outs.

Struggling to get Aussie involved.

Two games in a row going in at half time 6 points down.

Hard to see where we go from here.

Fair depressing.

Horrendous and there is no way back

Season over and we still have 2 games too go

Fanning and co will be there next year unless they walk away. Danger is players wont bother coming back to this shambles. We scraped into a league final tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

914 wrote: »
    Jaysus lads hard two weeks. Hard to pick any positives out of the past two weeks.

Lack of a solid plan.

Fair depressing.

Hard to disagree with any of that. Depressing stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

914 wrote: »

Lack of a solid plan.

Fair depressing.

Just on struggling to get Aussie involved,if he is as talented as he is supposed to be he should be the one getting himself involved not waiting for fellas around him to do it for him,Does he have the mentality and right attitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Just on struggling to get Aussie involved,if he is as talented as he is supposed to be he should be the one getting himself involved not waiting for fellas around him to do it for him,Does he have the mentality and right attitude?
    Personally I don’t think his attitude is right. Spends too much time sulking and giving out to teammates. He doesn’t make half enough runs off the ball to try get involved.

Some of the Tipp forwards runs were brilliant. Poor Conor Gleeson will be having nightmares about Bubbles.

Our warm up is so tame too

Fanning standing clueless on the sideline

Sadly unless theres a major player revolt than Fanning will still be in charge next year. I think he should go as hes just not up too the standard and all the talent in the squad will realise this and stay away from the scene

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement