Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Worst fears transpired. Season well and truely over. That was as bad as any of the defeats in recent years.......18 pts is severe.....throw in a few new guys for next two games and concentrate on next season.....will fanning stay....???

Who'd take the job if it was free? Some good names linked with it refused it last year and the county board ****ed up appointing Matty Kenny and Pat Ryan. So Fanning will still be there I'd say.

As for throwing in new lads, if the playing structure they're thrown into is a mess would it do them more harm to have them involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

A disgrace of a performance, im sick and tired of this team at this stage. People spending their time and money to go and watch that and they go out and play like that. Today was time for them to put up or shut up and they failed yet again. People blame managers but you know what those players need to take a look in the mirror, theirs not excuse playing like that.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Conor Gleeson had the ultimate nightmare half hour . Enough said about that. The positives were Lyons. TBD. Tommy and Jack in the first half . We have had for many years an inability to win ball in our half forward line , no Seamus Prendergast type player and we never seem to win a breaking ball. We done well to get within 3 points after 50 mins but after the goal the wheels came off. Still think Austin is a centre back. If the county board and present management have any interest in the future of our senior team then the present management team need to be gone in 3 weeks time . Depressing stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Conceded 4-58 in two games. The whole setup is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

lertsnim wrote: »
    Conceded 4-58 in two games. The whole setup is a disgrace.

Think you are wrong there. 3-51 conceded in two games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭914

Just on struggling to get Aussie involved,if he is as talented as he is supposed to be he should be the one getting himself involved not waiting for fellas around him to do it for him,Does he have the mentality and right attitude?

I think its more down to frustration than the wrong attitude. Not sure at this stage does he even know his own position.

In my opinion he needs to be central, facing the plan, centre back. He'll score as much from centre back as he will in the half forward line.

Sure that's a debate for another day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Think you are wrong there. 3-51 conceded in two games

John Mullane wrong on the radio then. Even still 3-51 is woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ovalu

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Our warm up is so tame too

Fanning standing clueless on the sideline

Sadly unless theres a major player revolt than Fanning will still be in charge next year. I think he should go as hes just not up too the standard and all the talent in the squad will realise this and stay away from the scene

Paddy Joe and the county board need to meet this evening and end this farce, waste of a golden generation, last year's U21 management should be put in place as an interim measure for the last 2 games and than appoint a new manager before the end of summer

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

I hear Jose Mourinho is still free...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

ovalu wrote: »
    Paddy Joe and the county board need to meet this evening and end this farce, waste of a golden generation, last year's U21 management should be put in place as an interim measure for the last 2 games and than appoint a new manager before the end of summer

Deff wont happen

Hard too see this group of players doing a 2008 on it and going behind the managers back

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Mulbert

Mcgrath should be well rested by now!

One thing is for sure, we should have pushed on with a 30k stadium in WIT. These performances keep up and you'll never get a ticket for Walsh Park. (insert sarcasm)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

We could still qualify if we win our last 2 games and are tied with Limerick or Cork on 4pts we would go through on the head to head, but the heavy defeat today makes it more difficult as we would need other results to go in our favour. best scenario would be Tipp to win all matches bar Limerick, Cork to beat Clare..or us to have a big win against either Limerick or Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Just on struggling to get Aussie involved,if he is as talented as he is supposed to be he should be the one getting himself involved not waiting for fellas around him to do it for him,Does he have the mentality and right attitude?
    When you are standing unmarked on one side of the field snd your goalkeeper is repeatedly flaking the ball over the side line on the other side of the field it's hard to have the "right attitude"

We could still qualify if we win our last 2 games and are tied with Limerick or Cork on 4pts we would go through on the head to head, but the heavy defeat today makes it more difficult as we would need other results to go in our favour. best scenario would be Tipp to win all matches bar Limerick, Cork to beat Clare..or us to have a big win against either Limerick or Cork

You are being seriously optimistic. Writing was on wall last weekend. There is not a chance that w’ford Will beat either team ie. Limerick or cork. M.....! Defeats but not as big as today.....could you imagine the morale on dressing room after that....??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Needed a good chuckle after that match...

You are being seriously optimistic. Writing was on wall last weekend. There is not a chance that w’ford Will beat either team ie. Limerick or cork. M.....! Defeats but not as big as today.....could you imagine the morale on dressing room after that....??

Oh no Im not being optimistic at all I'm just pointing out we are not out yet if there is any way of picking it up in two weeks

Mulbert wrote: »
    Mcgrath should be well rested by now!

No thanks, nothing against Derek, he done well but he had his spell. 5 seasons with the same players. One league title. One all ireland final appearance. Disaster last season.

Would prefer to see us go outside the county and if we can't manage that then Sean Power, he might actually play Aussie in the his best decision.

I'm all for giving manager's time but I haven't seening anything this season to tell me we're on the right track.

Clare and Galway league wins were in woeful conditions. First Galway win was decent.

Away to Dublin and league finals were two tests and we lost both those games.

Two games to sway my mind now, no point in sacking managers at this stage let it play out and see can they turn it around and if not, then a decision needs to be made

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

People on about management and county boards??? Plain and simple today, players not good enough, end of

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭SW1985

But apparently Derek wasted a "golden generation"

He naivety in Waterford over the last few years has been shocking.

• Advertisement

914 wrote: »
    No thanks, nothing against Derek, he done well but he had his spell. 5 seasons with the same players. One league title. One all ireland final appearance. Disaster last season.

Would prefer to see us go outside the county and if we can't manage that then Sean Power, he might actually play Aussie in the his best decision.

I'm all for giving manager's time but I haven't seening anything this season to tell me we're on the right track.

Clare and Galway league wins were in woeful conditions. First Galway win was decent.

Away to Dublin and league finals were two tests and we lost both those games.

Two games to sway my mind now, no point in sacking managers at this stage let it play out and see can they turn it around and if not, then a decision needs to be made

If it was a narrow ish as in 6/7 pts today then maybe there would be some hope of qualifying but 18pts. Not a chance I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Cork look like they are gonna bate Limerick.... that might help our cause.... but its unlikely

If it was a narrow ish as in 6/7 pts today then maybe there would be some hope of qualifying but 18pts. Not a chance I think

Agree, sorry when I said give them a chance to turn it around I didn't mean to qualify, but to see what kind of performances they put in or not and then make decisions based on the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

I don’t know what’s going on with this team in the last year or so , where’s the benefit from our great under 21 team , definitely more then management and systems , beating up inferior teams in the league is one thing but this is championship hurling and it needs the skill the effort and physicality sadly all lacking from this bunch of players . If we don’t improve and soon, that’s another generation of Waterford hurlers wasted and we go back again into the also rans of hurling . Need to show some fight in remaining games at least !!!

Nice of the GAA too give Cork 2 weeks off before they face us with our 6 day turnaround

A wounded Limerick coming too Walsh Park in 2 weeks. Could be a massacre for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Nice of the GAA too give Cork 2 weeks off before they face us with our 6 day turnaround

Will you stop complaining about fixtures, it’s pure luck, everyone gets their week’s break. We could have a 46 day turnaround and we’d still be bet out the gate so the point is moot.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sitkaspruce

You must be the worst supporter on this forum. Constantly knocking the team. Get behind them for God sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Bad day! Second to every ball and touch and striking very poor. The fitness and conditioning needs to be looked at as that's two games in a row were we were well off the pace and yards behind the other team at both ends of the field. Hunger and concentration doesn't seem to be there either. Other teams use sports psychologists, do we?

Another disappointing day for Aussie. I don't want to have a go at him again but he seems to be lost out there and as someone said earlier, it's up to him to get himself into the game. Where is the enthusiastic athletic player who burst on the scene and scored that wonder goal against Cork in Thurles in his first year? Not sure if all that added muscle has done him good at all? He wasn't the only one off the pace but others seems to at least contest and get on the ball.

Ultimately, we just don't have enough forwards. Every other team in the country adds new players every year and we're still waiting for Curran and the Bennetts to take over. We either don't have them in the county or they're being ignored and the dominance of Ballygunner would suggest the players aren't there.

The treatment of Tommy Ryan over the years has been a disgrace and he should be starting every game for Waterford. Some of his scores and hooks and blocks working back were an example of what we need. De Burca worked his socks off and Calum did well too and is a good find.

I think we were taken to school on the basics today, despite all the tactics. Pace, first touch, striking, reading the play. Tipp just make it look easy and we make everything look like an uphill struggle.

Our forwards really need some coaching on movement too.

Not trying to be negative but an 18 point defeat is about as negative as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Gardner

Brick Walsh was kept on the panel this year..... Anyone know for what reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

That was a disaster.Fanning looks like he hasn't a clue. But it's not his fault that Stephen o keeffe hits the ball over sideline at least three times a game and gives away a couple of points every game.
    Or the backs getting the short puck out, then hitting it as high and far as they can instead of trying to give our forwards a chance.
    Aussie seems to be always on the side of the field where the ball isn't. He needs to realise that the Horgan's,tj Reid's etc bust there bollix to get dirty scores and not just score the one or two long rangers.
    Moran Aussie Barron all seem to have to do some kind of fancy pick up that comes off one in ten times in every game. Whereas tipp lad comes in and makes sure of winning possession 9 times out of ten.
    Even when tipp launch balls forward there hit to their own forwards advantage.Even if it just gives forward slight chance it's better than 50/50 lobbing balls .
    I think maybe were just not good enough attitude wise or our game intelligence is just not good enough. Hard for a manager if players don't have it between their ears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Gardner wrote: »
    Fanning is an absolute disgrace. Can he be sacked now. This is as bad as Georgie Leahy and Greg Fives days

I think even by the standards of the nonsense you normally post, calling for the management to be sacked at half time takes the biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

The writing was on the wall from the first minute today. Tipperary sharper in every position from start to finish and it was like the All Ireland final in 2008 all over again. Forward line cleaned out again, no shape to our build up play and everything seemed very much off the pace that you’d expect it to be at.

I honestly think we don’t have the players. The excuses and finger pointing have been going on for years now at this stage and I think people need to face up to the facts that we’re just not good enough to compete. I’m afraid it looks like the end of the road for a long time for this team now and I don’t think the management helped themselves either. Very hard to know what to say at all after that today and I feel very, very sorry for the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

A few points with regard to the general direction of Gaa & particularly hurling in this county;

Since we won the minor all Ireland in 2014 we have won 3/14 games - win rate of 21% lowest in Munster in that time - including a number of heavy heavy beatings 15+ hidings - 2015 to today.

Our seniors have not won a game in the new format 0/6 - 0% lowest in Munster

We have not won a game in Munster championship since 2016

We are rapidly becoming the Offaly of the new Gaa world.

Questions need to be asked about who is responsible for this mess? I can’t blame fanning tbf

Who is accountable now for it?

What the plan is to fix the dam thing & turn the ship around.

We are led by the most inept, unaccountable, incapable bunch & that ultimately is what is manifesting itself on the pitch and what we saw today.

No external manager would want to get involved with the under developed, under funded, black hole that is Waterford Gaa at present.

This needs a full root and branch forensic examination & mass resignations with fresh blood.

All of our executive have not played or been involved at club level this millennium - says enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Bad day! Second to every ball and touch and striking very poor. The fitness and conditioning needs to be looked at as that's two games in a row were we were well off the pace and yards behind the other team at both ends of the field.

The biggest thing jumping out at me was the clumsiness of the first touch all over the pitch. It doesn't really matter how fit you are if the ball is bouncing 10 yards of your hurley.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Our seniors have not won a game in the new format 0/6 - 0% lowest in Munster

When is the last time we went 6 games in a row in Munster without winning? Different setup and all that but jasus........ that looks bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Gardner

I think even by the standards of the nonsense you normally post, calling for the management to be sacked at half time takes the biscuit.

Ha! It didn't get much better after it did it ya numpty. Any man and his dog that knows anything about hurling knows after 10 min of that game today fanning was out of his depth. Himself and Kearney didn't leave the box and continuously kept pointing at our half forward line in first half for about 25 min and it was embarrassing watching them not known what was going on. I was about 6 rows back from dugout and it was clear as day. Say what you want about DMG we wouldn't have been 6/7 pints down at half time and certainly we would now know after 3 games: LF Clare and today what our actual game plan is. We are an absolute disgrace. We are probably team 11/12 in top flight hurling at the moment and Carlow would give us a game based upon that today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Deiselurker

People calling for Derek McGrath to come back saying we wouldn't have lost like that when he was there seem to forget the hammering again from Tipp in the 2016 Munster final in Limerick. We haven't beaten Tipperary in the championship since 2008 now. It was hard to watch the last 15 minutes today. Good effort to come back to within 3 points but with the extra man and the class forwards Tipperary have they went to town on us.
    Limerick next and they will be fired up to win after losing today so it's hard to see it getting better.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭SW1985

Derek knew what he had and set the team up accordingly. Fanning is just another one of those naive lads that thought the sweeper was the only think stopping us from beating all before us. No plan, nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Few points:
    We played some lovely stuff during the league, then for some reason tactics changed for the league final and have been negative ever since. Last week you had the likes of Peter Hogan named as corner forward playing out in midfield. Today we were back to the sweeper system until the sending off. Fanning like McGrath is a negative manager. Negative tactics will never win an all Ireland. Sean Power never used negative tactics and when a Waterford manager manages a team to win 2 all Ireland's they should get the senior job when it becomes available. If he had been appointed I'm sure we would be in a better place than at present.
    Also the present Waterford panel has too many hangers on who are not good enough. If you have been on the panel for a number of years and you still have not made it as a regular starter you shouldn't be still on the panel. Players such as Colin Dunford, Brian O Halloran, Peter Hogan, Shane McNulty, Michael Kearney, Stephen Roche, and a few more of that panel need replacing. This year Callum Lyons was giving a chance and he has been great so far. Whoever is manager next year needs to replace the above players and give a chance to some new players, ideally looking for tall, athletic forwards who can win their own ball. Already know of two players that fit that bracket, who I believe could make it if given their chance and I'm sure their are more out their.

• Advertisement

I presume Derek will get another go at it again in 20 or 21 if he wants it. For all his faults at least there was a solid rationale behind his methods. Our forwards just arent good enough. before we know it the bulk of this team will be hitting 30 with nothing to show for it. Another year gone down the drain, hard to know where to go from here really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

Well that was disappointing to say the least.
    Can't have been easy for them to play most of the match one man down and with a ref who was giving absolutely no decision their way, and 'not seeing a lot' when staring right at it.
    He'll, even the goal post was against us.

I appreciate people travelling and even the crowd was getting behind them and getting very vocal.
    However it can't be nice for the players to see people leaving in numbers with minutes still on the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Few points:
    We played some lovely stuff during the league, then for some reason tactics changed for the league final and have been negative ever since. Last week you had the likes of Peter Hogan named as corner forward playing out in midfield. Today we were back to the sweeper system until the sending off. Fanning like McGrath is a negative manager. Negative tactics will never win an all Ireland. Sean Power never used negative tactics and when a Waterford manager manages a team to win 2 all Ireland's they should get the senior job when it becomes available. If he had been appointed I'm sure we would be in a better place than at present.
    Also the present Waterford panel has too many hangers on who are not good enough. If you have been on the panel for a number of years and you still have not made it as a regular starter you shouldn't be still on the panel. Players such as Colin Dunford, Brian O Halloran, Peter Hogan, Shane McNulty, Michael Kearney, Stephen Roche, and a few more of that panel need replacing. This year Callum Lyons was giving a chance and he has been great so far. Whoever is manager next year needs to replace the above players and give a chance to some new players, ideally looking for tall, athletic forwards who can win their own ball. Already know of two players that fit that bracket, who I believe could make it if given their chance and I'm sure their are more out their.

All well and good saying you’d get rid of lads off the panel but who do you replace them with? To be fair, if you were to do as you say then Tommy Ryan would have been gone years ago. Tommy was on the panel in 2009 then disappeared for years. The last couple of years he’s been arguably our best forward as depressing as that is and I mean no disrespect to him when I say that as I’m a big fan of his. To be fair, the likes of Stephen Roche did very well when called upon last year, as did DJ Foran but he doesn’t even look like he’ll feature at all this summer. Our so called strong panel as it turns out is not so strong. Very difficult to know what road this Waterford team goes down now.

I think Fanning got a few things wrong today and he made some bizarre calls. I’m not blaming him for today but I don’t think he’s covered himself in glory last week or today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Could not fault the ref at all today, of course every ref gets a few wrong but no awful decisions and we were well beaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Waterford got what they deserved today.nothing but a hiding from a very patient Tipp side that had to break down that defensive rubbish that has been ingrained into them from "delboy" McGrath.its going to take a yr to 18 months for fanning to change up the style.Austin Gleeson contributed nothing again.

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Waterford got what they deserved today.nothing but a hiding from a very patient Tipp side that had to break down that defensive rubbish that has been ingrained into them from "delboy" McGrath.its going to take a yr to 18 months for fanning to change up the style.Austin Gleeson contributed nothing again.

Troll here I would say........best not to respond......brexit, price of heifers donal trump are a flavor of his/her more recent posts.....!

• Advertisement

boggerman1 wrote: »

Dont think Fanning is the man too lead us. He stood on the line today looking lost

Aussie terrible today and going around sulking and bitching. Tbh Tony Kelly had a few nightmare years after getting double POTY but is eventually regaining form. One danger about Aussie is he could walk away from the scene quite easily

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Dont think Fanning is the man too lead us. He stood on the line today looking lost

Aussie terrible today and going around sulking and bitching. Tbh Tony Kelly had a few nightmare years after getting double POTY but is eventually regaining form. One danger about Aussie is he could walk away from the scene quite easily

Give it a rest

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

BazBox wrote: »
    I'm all for giving new management teams a chance and there was optimism after a solid league campaign, however I can't help but feel that Waterford under Derek McGrath would have managed this and last weeks game better.

Long 2nd half ahead
    this was exactly the same as Mc Grath ,panicked played a sweeper started defending a 6 point deficit ,all over after 10 to 15 mins with no way back

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Personally I don’t think his attitude is right. Spends too much time sulking and giving out to teammates. He doesn’t make half enough runs off the ball to try get involved.

Some of the Tipp forwards runs were brilliant. Poor Conor Gleeson will be having nightmares about Bubbles.
    think he bubbles got 3 off him .callinan got 2 and he was on a yellow ,having a really poor day ,he should have been subbed off long before the red

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

think he bubbles got 3 off him .callinan got 2 and he was on a yellow ,having a really poor day ,he should have been subbed off long before the red

Callinan scored once, a goal in the last few minutes long after Conor Gleeson was sent off. Jesus we conceded enough without making up other ones.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement