Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

It’s been said that Waterford GAA will never leave Azzurri as they are a Waterford based company and they want to support local and if they were to stop using Azzurri and they closed which is likely as Waterford are the only county using them, there would be a serious backlash within the county.
    I on the other hand hate Azzurri and think their gear is poor quality and doesn’t compare to O’Neills and wished Waterford would change back!

While I think they do need to support local enterprises where possible, I wonder if this comes at a significant cost to the board?

If Azzurri, or another company, know they have the deal forever there is a risk that Waterford don't get a good commercial return.

It's no surprise that no other county use them but it's a catch 22. In the public interest they're probably doing the right thing staying with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Waterford training cancelled tonight lads as the DLS PPU flex their muscles.

Patsy Fanning must be feeling a bit like Michael Ryan at this stage with the same less than hirsute activator using his usual stalking horses to organise another coup with the St Saviour waiting to swoop in yet again.

Wake up FFS!!

This guy is the Donald Trump of Waterford hurling and even a better purveyor of fake news than the Donald.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

I've heard the rumours too, players not happy, fanning gone.

Derek or Hartley to step in.

Maybe just a rumour...

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    I've heard the rumours too, players not happy, fanning gone.

Derek or Hartley to step in.

Maybe just a rumour...

Crazy if its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

Have it on good authority that the players want Fanning gone but he will not be sacked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Lots of rumours floating around today. Hard to know what to believe.

Apparently training was cancelled last night. Anyone know why?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

Trained wedns I believe. So hardly traing planned for Thursday too.
    Hope it's just rumour or we'll end up
    like offally.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

There was a meeting of the Executive in Lawlor's last night to discuss "the players' wishes".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    Waterford training cancelled tonight lads as the DLS PPU flex their muscles.

Patsy Fanning must be feeling a bit like Michael Ryan at this stage with the same less than hirsute activator using his usual stalking horses to organise another coup with the St Saviour waiting to swoop in yet again.

Wake up FFS!!

This guy is the Donald Trump of Waterford hurling and even a better purveyor of fake news than the Donald.

Who is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

I heard this morning that the players said Fanning is going to crack any minute, purple monkey dishwasher.

• Advertisement

Turns out that Fanning is still actually on Davy Fitzgerald's management team in Wexford, and they managed to infiltrate the Waterford camp with a sleeper agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Sweet merciful. We are just the worst county for bull$hit rumours and the like

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭letsseehere14

Motivator wrote: »
    I heard this morning that the players said Fanning is going to crack any minute, purple monkey dishwasher.

Well we'll show them, especially for that purple monkey dishwasher remark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,108 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

hardybuck wrote: »
    Turns out that Fanning is still actually on Davy Fitzgerald's management team in Wexford, and they managed to infiltrate the Waterford camp with a sleeper agent.

Heard similar but other counties are in on it too. Whole thing is spearheaded by Brian Cody

Back too reality the senior footballers will know there Opponents for the 1st Round of the qualifiers Monday morning. Home draw if they come out first or draw a div 1/2 team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Lots of rumours doing the rounds today, I was in Kanturk this morning and a fella said he got a text that Fanning was gone. That’s how quickly these rumours spread.

Is he gone? No. Will he go? Maybe, but it won’t be until we’re out of the Championship and the way it’s looking that could be at around 3.30 next Sunday.

Whatever happens with Fanning I think he had a difficult job on his hands before a ball was pucked in January. The job hasn’t got any easier for him and in hindsight perhaps the writing was on the wall since the League Final. I was shocked at how badly things went last Sunday, even without the sending off I think we were in serious trouble. Tipperary were miles sharper in every department. I expect a big performance against Limerick but I expected one last Sunday too so I’m not sure what’s coming next.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

If you're to take everything at face value about the 'togetherness' of the panel under Derek then whoever followed was always going to have a tough job if results didn't gloss over everything. Let's face it, we were all happy until the league final.
    I don't see any benefit in any action other than full commitment and effort for the next two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭upthedeise16

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Heard similar but other counties are in on it too. Whole thing is spearheaded by Brian Cody

Back too reality the senior footballers will know there Opponents for the 1st Round of the qualifiers Monday morning. Home draw if they come out first or draw a div 1/2 team

They beat Limerick this week in a challenge match

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    The point about the warm up is valid in my book. I couldn't believe how poor our warm up looked, general lack of intensity about it, balls being fumbled and lack of first touch for a team fighting for its championship lives was shocking. I was watching the tipp warm up too, doing possession drills with hand passes and lads trying to win the ball back, you could see the intensity there, they were well up for it. Wasn't surprising when we had another slow start to the game then.

In fairness now fellas missing touches in the warm up is hardly down to management. That would be stretching it majorly.

Motivator wrote: »
    Lots of rumours doing the rounds today, I was in Kanturk this morning and a fella said he got a text that Fanning was gone. That’s how quickly these rumours spread.

Is he gone? No. Will he go? Maybe, but it won’t be until we’re out of the Championship and the way it’s looking that could be at around 3.30 next Sunday.

Whatever happens with Fanning I think he had a difficult job on his hands before a ball was pucked in January. The job hasn’t got any easier for him and in hindsight perhaps the writing was on the wall since the League Final. I was shocked at how badly things went last Sunday, even without the sending off I think we were in serious trouble. Tipperary were miles sharper in every department. I expect a big performance against Limerick but I expected one last Sunday too so I’m not sure what’s coming next.

Can’t believe all the rumours of a possible departure. After we’ve gotten hammered by Tipp, you’d think it was the first time in decades this had happened! Not to mind the fact we played 3/4’s of the game with 14 men.
    Is everything perfect in the management setup? Possibly not. Could we look at changing up the structure or adding someone new into it next year? Certainly. But talk of ousting a manager in the middle of a Munster championship is crazy. Not least given our recent record in Munster under the man being linked with a return if there is a change!
    If somehow we can turn over Limerick the rumours will undoubtedly dissipate and we can look forward to a showdown with Cork.
    Get behind the team and management next Sunday and help them get the big result we now need.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddy13

If the players were to oust management, I will not support it. There was valid excuses last year. Especially don't care about management but they folded against Tipp in the second half. I was really disappointed there seems to be no leaders once Moran, Corrors and Brick retire.

I really hope (nothing got to do with management) that the team show passion, pride and character in the last two games. Nothing to show that this will happen.

Here's hoping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

All these rumours are a disgrace and as we already know whomever came in after Mcgrath was going to have a tough job, firstly to gain the trust of the players after the brainwashing of the previous regime and secondly trying to implement their own style on the squad. They definitely haven’t been helped by the fact that there is constant contact with the panel, constant building them up for the proverbial fall and constantly trying to undermine the current management team by offering an ”opinion” through paper columns.
    Here’s a suggestion, what if the players gathered and decided they owe it to themselves and to the Waterford loyal supporters to turn this around after their capitulation against Tipp and put a performance together that we could all be proud of instead of using the easy option and blaming management.

Fanning should bide his time now and have a clear out at the end of the season of the McGrathites who are in danger of poisoning the good young lads like Prunty, Lyons, Prendergast etc. The only one of them worth holding on to is SOK, the rest of them are as slow as a wet week in Tramore and haven't performed in two years. Nobody owns the jersey and if these guys don't want to hurl under the present management thank them for their service and let them off. There are plenty young lads there who have never been given a fair chance who would jump at it. This is Fanning's only hope of survival. He needs to face down these guys once and for all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    Fanning should bide his time now and have a clear out at the end of the season of the McGrathites who are in danger of poisoning the good young lads like Prunty, Lyons, Prendergast etc. The only one of them worth holding on to is SOK, the rest of them are as slow as a wet week in Tramore and haven't performed in two years. Nobody owns the jersey and if these guys don't want to hurl under the present management thank them for their service and let them off. There are plenty young lads there who have never been given a fair chance who would jump at it. This is Fanning's only hope of survival. He needs to face down these guys once and for all!

But what about their sponsored cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

But what about their sponsored cars?

I blame the poor underage structures for the lack of form at moment u12’s county wide can barely do a jab lift and are still only doing ground hurling........!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭davidx40

Theres no way Fanning is going until year is over no matter what happens ....but he was never the man for the job at all how he was even considered ill never know...and his backroom team leaves a lot to be desired ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

The last thing we need is for hurling to go like the English football, ousting managers.

Our present captain was never one to shy away from the limelight and the written media during the last regime. Inexplicably he is totally conspicuous by his silence in the last six months.

Is he Captain of the Waterford hurling team or Captain of my Captain- his former English teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Spatters

I’ve great respect for these men as they are giving their time freely to their county but I have to say Pa sounded a little deluded with regards to how the game was playing out. His view of the game was certainly different to mine!!

• Advertisement

Spatters wrote: »
    I’ve great respect for these men as they are giving their time freely to their county but I have to say Pa sounded a little deluded with regards to how the game was playing out. His view of the game was certainly different to mine!!

I’d agree to an extent but can see where he’s coming from. The sending off for example came from Tadhg hitting a quick free when Paudie was on his way out to hit it, Curran was beaten to possession Tipp launched it, broke through to Bonnar and he’s pulled down. Could have very well been a point to Waterford instead.
    The killer Tipp goal which has been mentioned plenty times came from a major, basic error between Tadhg and Philip in that both went for the same ball and it broke kindly for Tipp.
    Obviously that was at a crucial juncture in the game. Same with Curran’s shot rebounding out, that would have been a huge morale booster going in just before half time.
    It sounds silly given how the last 15 minutes played out, and given how sharp Tipp looked in the first half but it could have been very different with a few small things going our way.

DiscoStew wrote: »
    I’d agree to an extent but can see where he’s coming from. The sending off for example came from Tadhg hitting a quick free when Paudie was on his way out to hit it, Curran was beaten to possession Tipp launched it, broke through to Bonnar and he’s pulled down. Could have very well been a point to Waterford instead.
    The killer Tipp goal which has been mentioned plenty times came from a major, basic error between Tadhg and Philip in that both went for the same ball and it broke kindly for Tipp.
    Obviously that was at a crucial juncture in the game. Same with Curran’s shot rebounding out, that would have been a huge morale booster going in just before half time.
    It sounds silly given how the last 15 minutes played out, and given how sharp Tipp looked in the first half but it could have been very different with a few small things going our way.

Looking at some of our past games and its frustrating too think of the small things that could of made a big difference. Obv fans of every team can feel the same way its sport at the end of the day

A few things from the 2017 All Ireland final loss too Galway
    Jamie Barron not being 100% healthy
    C Gleeson been suspended
    That Moran missed point that would of put us 2 pts up

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Spatters

Looking at some of our past games and its frustrating too think of the small things that could of made a big difference. Obv fans of every team can feel the same way its sport at the end of the day

A few things from the 2017 All Ireland final loss too Galway
    Jamie Barron not being 100% healthy
    C Gleeson been suspended
    That Moran missed point that would of put us 2 pts up

Agreed. And the missed free from 50m to go 3-4 up- all at a critical time.
    Hard to see how mgmt could have helped in this situation as it was poor decision making. Anyway, c’est la vie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

Kearney is putting a brave face on the situation, as he must.

Fanning seems like a decent chap but obviously doesn't like the attention of being 'front and centre' ; overall, the management team is lightweight compared to other counties (Limerick,Tipperary, for instance .... however, they have serious financial backing).

Thought after the finish against Clare, that Waterford would put in a strong performance against Tipp but not for the first time, this Tipp side made hay against us. We're not as bad as made out last Sunday but still can't see Limerick losing (would love to be wrong).

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Deisefacts

I hope everyone is shouting for Westmeath today v Kerry. The last thing we want at the end of this Munster championship is that if we finish bottom of the group and have to play Kerry to remain in the all Ireland series

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Deisefacts wrote: »
    I hope everyone is shouting for Westmeath today v Kerry. The last thing we want at the end of this Munster championship is that if we finish bottom of the group and have to play Kerry to remain in the all Ireland series

Actually with the ludicrous system we'd then only need to reach the final of the competition to get into a preliminary all ireland quarter final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DE DEISE

Deisefacts wrote: »

Westmeath 2-16
    Kerry 1-21

Actually with the ludicrous system we'd then only need to reach the final of the competition to get into a preliminary all ireland quarter final

We would have a longer summer anyway

Even with today's win Kerry still have too beat Offaly and Laois too make the final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

This thread is just one massive facepalm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Checked other social media sites, no mention about anything in relation to the above rumours from anyone that actually has a face or a name which leads me to think it’s all bollocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Checked other social media sites, no mention about anything in relation to the above rumours from anyone that actually has a face or a name which leads me to think it’s all bollocks

Thank God ....so we are going to put a team out against Limerick....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

What's the ticket situation like for next Sunday? Any likely to go back on general sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Westmeath v Waterford in the football qualifiers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Gardner

grimbergen wrote: »
    What's the ticket situation like for next Sunday? Any likely to go back on general sale?

there will be no problem with tickets for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

KevIRL wrote: »
    Westmeath v Waterford in the football qualifiers

Will more than likely be the 8th of June, same day as the hurlers play Cork, hate being negative but a strong possibility of both teams of both teams out of championship on that date

Will more than likely be the 8th of June, same day as the hurlers play Cork, hate being negative but a strong possibility of both teams of both teams out of championship on that date

At least the footballers won a championship game last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

People keep referring to being out of the Championship in early June as if that in itself is a problem. If we beat Limerick and Cork then there is a very good chance we'll go deeper into the summer and we'll have earned that. Otherwise, what is the point of dragging things out? Let the players go back to their clubs/gallivanting around the States [delete as applicable].

deiseach wrote: »
    People keep referring to being out of the Championship in early June as if that in itself is a problem. If we beat Limerick and Cork then there is a very good chance we'll go deeper into the summer and we'll have earned that. Otherwise, what is the point of dragging things out? Let the players go back to their clubs/gallivanting around the States [delete as applicable].

As a supporter, I see it as a problem, it's a long summer without Waterford matches to look forward to and go to and club games more than likely will be played sporadically with none after the first weekend of July until late August. I want Waterford to do well, hence play in July and August

As a supporter, I see it as a problem, it's a long summer without Waterford matches to look forward to and go to and club games more than likely will be played sporadically with none after the first weekend of July until late August.

If Waterford lose and are out, I think they'd be better putting out a blanket notice that no senior or intermediate championship games will take place until the August bank holiday weekend.

Give everyone a chance to go on holidays, play a few league games in July, and then hurling and football on alternate weekends in August and September which would create a bit of rhythm for fans and players alike.

hardybuck wrote: »
    If Waterford lose and are out, I think they'd be better putting out a blanket notice that no senior or intermediate championship games will take place until the August bank holiday weekend.

Give everyone a chance to go on holidays, play a few league games in July, and then hurling and football on alternate weekends in August and September which would create a bit of rhythm for fans and players alike.

I totally agree but maybe play the round of the hurling cancelled in April in late June and give all players July off other than league games and aim to have all group games in senior hurling and football finished by the end of August. Last year, clubs tried to delay matches as they had players in America.

There would be plenty of time for all knockouts games to be completed in time for Munster.

tough draw for the footballers esp away from home. Westmeath are no world beaters but are a level above us. No doubt our guys will give it there best shot

Fight is something needed for next Sunday and we see Cork, Wexford showing great fight when there down. We need some of that quick both on the field and line

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement