Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭SW1985

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Are people ever going to accept that the area of the playing surface at Walsh Park is equal to that of thurles......there may be less than half a meter in length between them but width is equal if not greater at Walsh Park......������

The difference in width is something like 10 meters. Have you even been to both grounds :confused:

Agree with this. Sick of negative managers ruining Waterford teams in the last decade.
    Was expecting negative tactics from fanning after all his time with Davy. Up to the league final was pleasantly surprised to see Waterford having a go. Last 3 matches we have played too negatively and the results speak for themselves.

I'm always amazed by people's confirmation bias. What they want to see is what they'll manage to see.

The man with the best plan was Sean Power. The only Waterford man to win an all Ireland as manager. Should have got the job. See in the paper he is managing dunhill this year. Will be interesting to see how they do.

Of course, sure Curran and the Bennetts will fly as soon as they get Sean in charge. That's all they've been missing the last few years. Handy job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Felt sorry for Brick in the League final, chasing shadows around Croke Park.

He might still have a 35-50 minutes in him and maybe management feel he might disrupt the Limerick defence ? Possibly but smacks of desperation ; then again, any other strategy to win some ball in the forwards has not worked to date.

Why would you feel sorry for him? He has made himself available and management have made the decision to pick him. It’s **** or get off the pot....

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Have those who expect Brick to do so well at full forward on Sunday forgotten how Mike Casey absolutely dominated Johnny Glynn in the AI final last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

SW1985 wrote: »
    The man with the best plan was Sean Power. The only Waterford man to win an all Ireland as manager. Should have got the job. See in the paper he is managing dunhill this year. Will be interesting to see how they do.

Of course, sure Curran and the Bennetts will fly as soon as they get Sean in charge. That's all they've been missing the last few years. Handy job

Well they we're flying at minor level and under 21 when he was in charge then.
    Why because his teams delivered fast ball into a full forward line where the likes of Curran and bennett were able to make hay. Compare that to these players playing under the likes of McGrath and fanning, where forwards are outnumbered by the opposition's defenders and spend more time running around like headless chickens rather than doing what they do best.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Have those who expect Brick to do so well at full forward on Sunday forgotten how Mike Casey absolutely dominated Johnny Glynn in the AI final last year?

Must agree as a Limerick man as much as I'd respect brick walsh him playing full forward i think would suit mike casey to the ground remember Casey is no slouch in the air either, just my opinion I could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

This thread should really receive national attention if not international.

Where else would you get a post mortem 3/4 days before the event?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Has the team actually been named or this info on the Brick starting possibly coming from a pre printed programme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Gardner

This is a new low for this forum. :) his own club overlooked him which speaks volumes.

question for everyone. has anyone on this forum played hurling competitively at adult level? some of the complete ****e talk here is baffling. too many fellas/kids listening to podcasts and the sunday game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Gardner

KevIRL wrote: »

ridiculous article again. chap needs to write a book and just pat himself on the back one last time! this patting on the back every friday is becoming boring!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

KevIRL wrote: »

Another set of Love Letters to 2 “his” lads after previously writing them about Jamie Barron, SOK and Austin Gleeson and others over the last few months.

Derek McGrath is totally undermining Fanning with these articles. I have heard of player unrest in the camp and unhappiness towards Fanning’s more bullish attitude to management and players not being happy and wanting McGrath back in. Why wouldn’t they want McGrath back in when he seems to praise everything they do and highlight in the national media. He doesn’t seem to want to criticize any Waterford player as, from what I’ve heard and can sense, he feels it is like the break he took from teaching, he is only on a break from being Waterford hurling manager and will be back soon in the hot seat within these lads careers.

For me, he has had his chance and needs to forget about it with this group of players. He done a good job to win a league final, beat Kilkenny in championship and reach an All-Ireland and no doubt he was an excellent man manager but he needs to move on from this obsession with the current Waterford panel and write more critical analysis on all teams and tactics which is what he would be excellent at, rather than comparing Waterford hurlers to Greek or Roman Gods or whatever he was on about in that article. I’m sure McGrath is a sound bloke and a great man but sharing these private stories about how great the players are is irrelevant to their hurling. I have never seen articles like this from Sheedy, Ryan or other managers who left their counties after success, instead they have written informative articles about hurling and you certainly won’t see the best manager of all time in Cody share these private stories. For me, these articles just pile the pressure on Fanning.

For this weekend, whatever way the side is set up tactically, the players have to perform and if they don’t, they need to man up and accept responsibility, rather than blame management. I think they will perform this week and give it their all, but I also believe Limerick are a better side so it’s going to take a huge effort but hopefully it can be a magical day in a hopping Walsh Park and we can look forward to a do or die battle against Cork in PUC next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Why oh why do we keep writing off lads who are not even near their peak! Is it realistic to expect lads coming out of the underage ranks to set the world alight immediately and not falter - absolutely not. Look back at some of our legends including one that is being openly discussed in this forum "Brick" - Brick took a number of years to settle into the senor team and to show his full potential. Ken for all his talents, was extremely inconsistent until he settled into his role at center back, Dan was constantly slated and written off as he struggled to secure a starting place before he went on to become a legend.

Curran, the Bennett's and Aussie and a host of others are still a long way from their peak. We are also producing other not so prominent hurlers who like Brick may not have shone or won titles at underage level but will surely represent their county at highest level such as Lyons and Prendergast.

What worries me is that it appears there is little work being done at our Senior Level to improve players on an individual basis. We do not seem to be working on their individual failings and technique, focusing more on systems and tactics. I am not stupid enough to ignore the need for tactics and patterns, but I have seen more games lost because of poor or lazy individual technique. Professional sports people work consistently at their personal technique and look to improve it no matter what their stage in their career, believing that if they work and improve on their individual weaknesses, they can contribute more to system and the team. Unfortunately I have not seen any signs of individual improvement in technique and in fact some of our players have gone back the way in this regard, and this for me is the single most worrying aspect.

Some posters are quick on here to accuse others of being blind, while they themselves they believe have perfect vision. Unfortunately they can be equally blinded.

For me Derek brought a lot of positives to the set up, but he also brought a lot of negatives, and in the end I feel it was his failure to observe these negatives that cost him, the team and us as supporters dearly. A typical example of this was he spoke constantly about "the unity and collectivness of his squad" yet it is noticeable how he repeatedly singled out a small number of individuals for special mention. and in doing so appears to have isolated many of the Panel. By all accounts he created a hierarchy that became untouchable, and this is not good for a team or panel

Looking to Sunday, I believe that we have the players to deliver a result, whether or not the team will be set up properly and be sufficently motivated to deliver is the question. We as supporters need to play our part and the news that there are many tickets being returned locally does not auger well for us. I personally received a couple of calls from Limerick looking for tickets, so they are going to travel in strength, while we are returning tickets at a mere €15.00 / €20.00 involving little or no travel - absolutely pathetic - and yet there was cribbing and crying first time around when people "could not get tickets for home games". I only hope that the players and management will be sufficiently self motivated to prove the doubters wrong and prove that "home advantage is real"

Well they we're flying at minor level and under 21 when he was in charge then.
    Why because his teams delivered fast ball into a full forward line where the likes of Curran and bennett were able to make hay. Compare that to these players playing under the likes of McGrath and fanning, where forwards are outnumbered by the opposition's defenders and spend more time running around like headless chickens rather than doing what they do best.

Under age hurling.

I've seen Curran a couple of times for his club in the last year or two and he can barely handle the physicality there.

Feel free to live in delusion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

I'm always amazed by people's confirmation bias. What they want to see is what they'll manage to see.

You're proving yourself correct on that one with your own posts.

Ropaire wrote: »
    You're proving yourself correct on that one with your own posts.

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

Have heard that too, lots of tickets being returned in Waterford. Walsh Park will hardly be full on Sunday unless a good few Limerick folk travel down. Mood is not good in the camp I hear......could be just talk but hearing it from lots of different sources. Hopefully the players stand up and fight on Sunday (not literally, need to keep our discipline).

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

Gardner wrote: »
    ridiculous article again. chap needs to write a book and just pat himself on the back one last time! this patting on the back every friday is becoming boring!

Nothing wrong with expressing emoshuns in the national media, I just find the articles hard to read at times...I don't necessarily need to read over and over again that these players are saints....let's just win an effin game, yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Tramore84 wrote: »
    Have heard that too, lots of tickets being returned in Waterford. Walsh Park will hardly be full on Sunday unless a good few Limerick folk travel down. Mood is not good in the camp I hear......could be just talk but hearing it from lots of different sources. Hopefully the players stand up and fight on Sunday (not literally, need to keep our discipline).

Heard in work today,by someone close enough to the panel

Fanning was locked out of dressing room after last game.....also.1 reasonably large club returned 80% of its tickets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭914

_blaaz wrote: »
    Heard in work today,by someone close enough to the panel

Fanning was locked out of dressing room after last game

That has happening with county teams in the past. Its normally a case of players taking responsibility for themselves, wouldn't worry to much about a manager not being in a dressing room for a period of time while players take account of themselves.

I also heard the panel had a bbq and drinks at Fannings house by someone involved in the panel.

Is that true, no I just made it up, everything is a rumour. Take everything with a pinch of salt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

914 wrote: »

I also heard the panel had a bbq and drinks at Fannings house by someone involved in the panel.

Is that true, no I just made it up, everything is a rumour. Take everything with a pinch of salt

I'm sorry you wrong.... the bbq did take place. I'm close friends with butchers brother that supplied all the meat himself personnely to fanning's house.

He even told me about how spacious his back garden was, set-up with a larger bouncy castle with plastic hurls for entertainment and team building.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

S O'Keeffe
    C Lyons
    C Prunty
    N Connors
    D Fives
    T DeBurca
    K Moran
    J Barron
    J Prendergast
    P Mahony
    A Gleeson
    MShanahan
    M Kearney
    StBennett
    T Ryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

So much for brick starting. Would have him in ahead of Kearney. Decent enough team anyway. Half back line looks strong but darragh fives may struggle with the pace of things having been out for so long. Glad to see Maurice start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

Lads. Nothing against Kearney. First match against Clare played full game and not taken off. We used all our subs. Second game against Tipp didn’t come on as a sub. We used all our subs Now starting third game. Strange. As I said nothing against the chap but it dose seem strange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

Lads. Nothing against Kearney. First match against Clare played full game and not taken off. We used all our subs. Second game against Tipp didn’t come on as a sub. We used all our subs Now starting third game. Strange. As I said nothing against the chap but it dose seem strange.

Strange indeed.

Delighted to see Daragh Fives starting ; only hope he’s fighting fit. Likewise, very happy that Tommy Ryan starts (our best player against Tipp). Normally would be optimistic with the named team but still not over the meltdown of the last day.

I personally would have him in there, I actually think it was the wrong call to keep him out the last day. He be brings a lot of energy to the table and hes a disrupter. He’s very aggressive, particularly contesting breaking balls and that half forward line with Gleeson and Shanahsn is going to generate a lot of breaks to contest. having him in on top of those straight away gives the likes of Mahoney and Bennett the chance to peel away for a pass. He’s not there to be the flashy corner forward to take scores from all angles he’s there to disrupt

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

To hear that tickets have been returned and that Limerick might even outnumber us is downright embarrassing and must be demoralising for the players. It seems like it’s not cool to support Waterford anymore, unless of course they get to Croke Park.

I live overseas myself with a number of years now but grew up going to watch the team of the late 90s, through the noughties and there was a sense among supporters that they were proud to put on their county colours. I don’t get that sense anymore, even on this board it’s all negativity about Derek McGrath now Fanning. People slaying players, county board, nepotism, lack of a decent stadium, it seems people will use any excuse not to support the team.

The reality is after too many defeats the fair weather fans will stay away

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

I feel sick...

McGrath is a class A eejit. His sycophantic ramblings are nauseating and are doing the greater Waterford cause a disservice. If I was Fanning I'd have a word with those surrounding McGrath and ask them to tell him hes not the manager anymore.
    Waterford have a great chance on Sunday. Limerick might be abit sharkey and the newcomers may need time to settle. However if they click and get into a rhythm then they ll over power any team so Waterford need to start like a train.

• Advertisement

To hear that tickets have been returned and that Limerick might even outnumber us is downright embarrassing and must be demoralising for the players. It seems like it’s not cool to support Waterford anymore, unless of course they get to Croke Park.

I live overseas myself with a number of years now but grew up going to watch the team of the late 90s, through the noughties and there was a sense among supporters that they were proud to put on their county colours. I don’t get that sense anymore, even on this board it’s all negativity about Derek McGrath now Fanning. People slaying players, county board, nepotism, lack of a decent stadium, it seems people will use any excuse not to support the team.

The reality is after too many defeats the fair weather fans will stay away

Some of absolute dross served up.under mcgrath and fitz has caused kind of a rot to set in

I remeber being at a semi final in 1.of mcgraths first years....10 min to go,4 points down and refused to try and go.for juggler....kept men behind the ball

Alot of time under davy fitz was like an.abortion of a game crossed between rugby and hurling.....gave 6 or 7 years seeing stevie molumpy taking ball into.contact and off loading it via handpass

Going.to.games was like a chore and enjoyment gone from going to.them.tbh....slogging matches intersected with odd hammering......

At least under fanning theres abit of entertainment again.....but hes out of his depth as regards preparations....they were dead on their feet with 20 mins to go vs tipp (and mile off pace v clare).....if they can get a good strength and conditioning coach,and more 1st touch work...id back him for 1 more year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

_blaaz wrote: »

At least under fanning theres abit of entertainment again.....but hes out of his depth as regards preparations....they were dead on their feet with 20 mins to go vs tipp (and mile off pace v clare).....if they can get a good strength and conditioning coach,and more 1st touch work...id back him for 1 more year

Entertainment for opposition fans maybe?

And surely your last two comments are fannings responsibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

BloodyBill wrote: »
    McGrath is a class A eejit. His sycophantic ramblings are nauseating and are doing the greater Waterford cause a disservice. If I was Fanning I'd have a word with those surrounding McGrath and ask them to tell him hes not the manager anymore.
    Waterford have a great chance on Sunday. Limerick might be abit sharkey and the newcomers may need time to settle. However if they click and get into a rhythm then they ll over power any team so Waterford need to start like a train.

So if you were Fanning, you wouldn't just approach him yourself if you had an issue with him? Wouldn't exactly express a strong mentality to a squad that is rather fond of Derek. Not to mention, I think that Paraic and Derek are neighbours so it would be strange getting someone else to talk to him.

Gavlor wrote: »
    Entertainment for opposition fans maybe?

And surely your last two comments are fannings responsibility?

Tbf they hurled emselves back into the tipp game and if fitter wouldve beaten tipp...(imo their overrated and were in process of falling apart when waterford got a run of scores)

They are fannings respinsibilty...hence how i said hes out of depth as regards preparation and needs to delegate this part of training?

So if you were Fanning, you wouldn't just approach him yourself if you had an issue with him? Wouldn't exactly express a strong mentality to a squad that is rather fond of Derek. Not to mention, I think that Paraic and Derek are neighbours so it would be strange getting someone else to talk to him.

So McGrath can undermine indirectly as he likes. But if Fanning responds indirectly he is a lesser man... sounds reasonable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Listen to Paraic Fanning Lár Na Páirce May 31 by WLR on #SoundCloud
    https://soundcloud.com/wlrfmwaterford/paraic-fanning-lar-na-pairce-may-31

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

So McGrath can undermine indirectly as he likes. But if Fanning responds indirectly he is a lesser man... sounds reasonable!

Don't see how it even is undermining him to sing the praises of one of the better players for the county over the last few years based on a selection rumour or bringing up the point (which has been mentioned by many others) that we have lacked a leaders presence on the pitch in the past few games when things weren't going good. Would you rather he came out with scathing remarks about the lot of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Don't see how it even is undermining him to sing the praises of one of the better players for the county over the last few years based on a selection rumour or bringing up the point (which has been mentioned by many others) that we have lacked a leaders presence on the pitch in the past few games when things weren't going good. Would you rather he came out with scathing remarks about the lot of them?

I’d rather he’d keep his mouth shut and walk away from it altogether. What other former county manager in either code has consistently being writing about himself/his former players and his delusions of successes as this fella? At no stage has he given the current set up room to breathe in this year’s championship because on a weekly basis he’s throwing his sensationalists headlines out there with the intent to destroy. He has had his 5 years in charge time to try another career break somewhere else.

This place is unreal.

It's somehow always Derek McGraths fault. Now he's undermining the current management them by praising players on the panel. This obsession some of you have is unhealthy. Someone even called the last few games a return to entertaining hurling. How mental do you have to be to think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

cul beag wrote: »
    I’d rather he’d keep his mouth shut and walk away from it altogether. What other former county manager in either code has consistently being writing about himself/his former players and his delusions of successes as this fella? At no stage has he given the current set up room to breathe in this year’s championship because on a weekly basis he’s throwing his sensationalists headlines out there with the intent to destroy. He has had his 5 years in charge time to try another career break somewhere else.

He obviously gets paid to write for what ever paper......I’m sure most people with take up an offer to be paid to write about a subject they are knowledgeable and passionate about.

• Advertisement

BloodyBill wrote: »

What’s your obsession with infiltrating another co’s thread.....if kiely of limerick takes to writing in papers when he calls it time on LK management will you be as critical of him....? We might be calling him a first class eejit over on this thread 🧵 and maybe some will venture into the LK one and express same views.

And you choose to ignore the tactical suggestions? Such as Tadhg not going past the 45?

This place is unreal.

It's somehow always Derek McGraths fault. Now he's undermining the current management them by praising players on the panel. This obsession some of you have is unhealthy. Someone even called the last few games a return to entertaining hurling. How mental do you have to be to think that?

It’s not just praising a current player though. It’s dissecting tactics, making suggestions as to what tactics should be played such as Tadhg on the 45 and trying to indirectly influence management.
    I have no doubt the management team take no notice, but the first thing many “supporters” will throw out is why didn’t this happen (just because McGrath said it).

It is in no way whatsoever helpful to the current setup.

It’s not just praising a current player though. It’s dissecting tactics, making suggestions as to what tactics should be played such as Tadhg on the 45 and trying to indirectly influence management.
    I have no doubt the management team take no notice, but the first thing many “supporters” will throw out is why didn’t this happen (just because McGrath said it).

It is in no way whatsoever helpful to the current setup.

McGrath had everyone you can think of taking shots at his tactics throughout his tenure. But giving an opinion on what Fanning should do is somehow beyond the pale? It's his job to give those opinions.

His overall tone has been pretty supportive from what I've read. Especially considering how bad they've been in the last 3 games.

McGrath had everyone you can think of taking shots at his tactics throughout his tenure. But giving an opinion on what Fanning should do is somehow beyond the pale? It's his job to give those opinions.

His overall tone has been pretty supportive from what I've read. Especially considering how bad they've been in the last 3 games.

Did the former manager, who was removed in very controversial manner, put any undue pressure on McGrath?
    No, he didn’t.

I don’t begrudge McGrath’s media role but the focus on Waterford each week isn’t helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Did the former manager, who was removed in very controversial manner, put any undue pressure on McGrath?
    No, he didn’t.

He certainly did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Road-Hog wrote: »
    What’s your obsession with infiltrating another co’s thread.....if kiely of limerick takes to writing in papers when he calls it time on LK management will you be as critical of him....? We might be calling him a first class eejit over on this thread 🧵 and maybe some will venture into the LK one and express same views.

Ignore that fella...has referred to both Limerick and Clare as "we" and "us" this year. Clearly a troll

Ignore that fella...has referred to both Limerick and Clare as "we" and "us" this year. Clearly a troll

You are Probably correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

He certainly did.

Michael Ryan? No he didn’t. If he did I must have missed it and would appreciate you posting a link to whatever article, podcast or talk show that he was on. Michael Ryan is a class act I very much doubt he spoke about McGrath.

He was on RTÉ with Marty Morrissey after he got the shaft but I’ve never heard him speak about the management team that proceeded him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Motivator wrote: »
    Michael Ryan? No he didn’t. If he did I must have missed it and would appreciate you posting a link to whatever article, podcast or talk show that he was on. Michael Ryan is a class act I very much doubt he spoke about McGrath.

He was on RTÉ with Marty Morrissey after he got the shaft but I’ve never heard him speak about the management team that proceeded him.

Colm Parkinson's podcast. He was critical of the defensive approach McGrath brought in on the back of a defeat, possibly the Munster Final against Tipp in Limerick.

He was also on that tv show to bizarrely say he was interested in applying for the job after the players saying they didn't want him and he said he would walk away.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement