Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My issue was raised and not dealt with :(

Options
  • 30-05-2018 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I have a problem since a few days: I can not log into "my eir". It just keeps "loading" until I fall asleep and it is still loading the next morning. Some support agent told me that he has raised the issue (with whom?) and it will be dealt with within 48 hours. I believe, that is 2 days. That was 3 days ago. Or was he talking about 48 "working" hours?

The situation: I used to have bill pay mobile broadband, a bill pay sim contract, pay as you go mobile broadband. All allowances could be checked by me when I logged into "my eir". I cancelled the bill pay mobile broadband and, since that is gone, I can not log in anymore. Nothing, "L O A D I N G...", loading what?

What does this tell us? It tells me, that the programmers of the my eir website forgot to put some error checking and handling into place, and the people with the responsibility forgot to ask for some error checking, I think, it is called quality control. That results is customers being unable to log in in certain cases even the username and password is correct.

What comes next? Somebody is going to reply to my post, saying: I am sorry to hear about your experience. Then, I will be asked (in the name of data protection) to reveal my full name, my email address, my phone number, my pin, my full address and whether I am the account holder. "Some" information is needed to establish that I am the account holder but ALL of it has nothing to do with data protection, it is the opposite. I am only asking some eir staff to have a look at my account and fix whatever needs to be fixed. I am not asking for any of my own information! Little common sense could make the process more pleasant for the customers.

Then some eir staff will (hopefully) delete my account and will ask me to start again. And yes, that will work until the next time. Nothing will be fixed. And my bills from my bill pay sim will be all deleted (I am on pay as you go now) even I still need to download the last one.

Why has that eir agent, who was raising the issue, not already deleted my "my eir" account? By the way, this would be the second time that a problem would be "fixed" that way. Is this disappointing? No, it is just sad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭tokenring

poff wrote: »
    I have a problem since a few days: I can not log into "my eir". It just keeps "loading" until I fall asleep and it is still loading the next morning. Some support agent told me that he has raised the issue (with whom?) and it will be dealt with within 48 hours. I believe, that is 2 days. That was 3 days ago. Or was he talking about 48 "working" hours?

I have had exactly the same problem, and have been unable to login to My Eir for over a week.

The response from Eir customer support has been a shambles, to say the least. The first agent did nothing at all, not even initiating a case number which I understood he was going to do, but nonetheless he was very eager for me to give him a good review. A couple of days later the second telephone agent initiated a case and said I would get a call from the 'My Eir' group in 24-48 hours. Of course this never came. Another couple of days later a third agent said the I should get a call within 5 days, not 2 days, and I will just have to wait in line as they may be quite busy. The impression I got was that I should be glad that they were going to talk to me at all, given all the important work they had to do. I am still waiting for this call. I asked each of these three agents whether this was a widespread problem or 'just me'. I did not receive any answers, except to be told to wait for my call, though the first two agents had basic difficulties communicating clearly in plain English, which didn't help.

I then tried a different tack and tried the online chat facility. I received this reply:

"This is not the issue only with your myeir page. There is an outage with the myeir page for most of the customers."

So at last, some progress - it's not just me (maybe). If there is a widespread outage why did none of the first three agents mention this. Do they not know? Do they not care? Are they instructed never to admit to a widespread outage?

So my questions for the Eir reps on this forum are:

(1) Is there a widespread outage that prevents people from logging in to My Eir?

(2) If so, when will it be fixed (though how could a widespread outage last 10 days?) and how can we track the status of the problem?

(3) Under changes to consumer law brought in last year, a telecommunications company must respond within a certain number of days and either fix the problem or give a new estimated time for the problem to be fixed. What is this time period? (2 days? 5-days? something else?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭eir: Kyle

Hi there poff & tokenring

So sorry to hear you have ongoing issues there with "my eir"

There was a server update and aware that some customers are experiencing issues but unfortunately have no timeframe on this as it's an isolated issue and didn't affect everyone with "my eir" log-ins

If you have any ticket numbers, please feel free so send me that via PM along with your mobile numbers & email addresses you registered with. If you have screenshots of this, please post this here so I can use this as examples.

I will make sure to escalate this for you from here.

-Kyle

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭poff

Screenshot? There isn't much to see.

In the centre of the page, it says: L o a d i n g...

I have no ticket number. I did not know that those existed. The person from the Indian call centre did not offer me a ticket number.

Tomorrow, I'll try the eir shop. Those people try to be helpful and know about the pains...

eir: Kyle wrote: »
    Hi there poff & tokenring

So sorry to hear you have ongoing issues there with "my eir"

There was a server update and aware that some customers are experiencing issues but unfortunately have no timeframe on this as it's an isolated issue and didn't affect everyone with "my eir" log-ins

Kyle,

I'm not sure how "isolated" this issue is, given there are a number of recent complaints about the same problem on this forum, and the statement from one of your agents that it affects "most of the customers". However, more importantly, the idea that as it does not affect "everyone" with My Eir logins, you can simply say that "unfortunately there is no timeframe" is not really acceptable, and as I'm sure you are aware, not compliant with ComReg's "Codes of Practice for Complaint Handling - New Minimum Requirements" document, which took effect at the start of the year - which requires a timeframe for resolution to be provided and next steps to be outlined:

The complaints acknowledgement is to be provided to the complainant within 2 working days and must contain the following minimum specified details:
    - a. Acknowledgement of the complaint,
    - b. Confirmation that the complaint is recorded,
    - c. A timeframe for Complaint Response and Resolution and any other steps in the process,
    - d. Details of the unique reference number to identify and track the individual complaint,
    - e. Appropriate contact details for the end-user to use in order for the consumer to contact the undertaking,
    - f. Next steps in the process,
    - g. Details of the internet/world wide web link to the Code of Practice.

This code of practice is mandatory, not a suggestion, and is the *minimum* acceptable level. I will PM my case/complaint number and look forward to the required information being provided.

As logging in to My Eir is needed to check usage and to verify/pay bills this should be treated as a matter of some urgency. So far five different customer support agents, including yourself, have been involved with this matter in my case. Each time the problem needs to be explained from the beginning. Nobody takes responsibility, as each person simply passes it on to someone else and regards that as the end of the matter.

ComReg put the new procedures in place to reduce the volume of customer complaints they needed to handle (after 10 days ComReg will act on a user's behalf). It would appear that so far, based on my own and other cases, the new procedures do not seem to be working very well, or rather, are not being followed.

Tomorrow, I'll try the eir shop. Those people try to be helpful and know about the pains...
    That was actually my first thought, as I have found the Eir staff in the shops to be quite helpful previously, and I went into a shop before calling phone support. However in my case they were not able to do anything and just told me to call the support number.

Including the shop person,  I guess that now makes a total of six different Eir reps involved so far...

• Advertisement

I might add to the story...

A server update? Where was the quality control before the update to make sure that there won't be any problems? How many people are on the case? Is it priority to fix the issues? What is the scenario of the customers , who are affected? I actually think, in my case, it probably is, that my gone bill pay broadband was the default number when loading my eir. Now, it is gone and not loading anymore. It IS a case of error catching and handling. Try the search, the internet if full with "Error and Exception Handling".

By the way, on the eir website, there is no mentioning of any problems. The only note, I found is: ***RESOLVED*** Intermittent data - Monday, 23rd of April 2018

What I have a problem with is that eir is broken left, right and centre. The software is broken (or carelessly written) and nobody has an interest in fixing it (my personal experience). The customer service is broken, I guess, due to eir's policies in how to deal with customers (I do not know those policies but it is my impression). I also had support staff asking me for high rating. These poor people are most likely under pressure to "do well". I do not blame support staff. It is the company's responsibility to make things work and fix them, if needed. Check the forums for unhappy customers. Why are they unhappy? Because eir is broken and eir will not recognise that it is broken. And customers think, eir does not care. I am one of those, it is easy to get that impression and eir doesn't do anything to fix it or? "eir" - not the support staff. Maybe, the support staff can also help to change eir's attitude towards customers? Can they complain too?

I explained in my first post, what most likely is wrong. It is error checking/handling and the quality control. There would be no need to supply support ticket numbers, email addresses and phone numbers, if the system would be working as it should.

As I do not have a ticket number and no evidence of my dealings with eir, I might try a complaint if nothing will happen soon and yes, comreg might come in useful. Personally, I would prefer, if things just get fixed or, at least sorted until the next time.

My local eir shop calls the support, gets the right person and then hands the phone to me. That already reduces my pain. I just have to catch them at the right moment as all the phone shops are under staffed. I just have to make it work - am I a bit naive? Will I tell them, that I am going to be suicidal if it will not work by Saturday? They might let me... Any different ideas on offer?

The pain is over. I got the lady in the local eir shop to ring the support and I asked the guy on the other end of the line to delete my eir account. I re-registered and, as I already said in my first post: it will work. It does work. I know, I am right about the programming bit because that causes those kind of problems. If errors are not caught..., it will give up working if there is an error. Until eir thinks, that those issues should be fixed, there will be a lot of angry, frustrated and disappointed customers.

tokenring, if you should decide to go down the same road, make sure that you have all of your bills downloaded. If not, you might get the eir agent to send them out to you before getting the "my eir" account deleted. If you don't need those bills for tax or business reasons, then it might not matter.

Will I now get double joy points for doing eir's job of customer support?

The advice for the eir technicians about the programming and how to do it right, is not free. I did that out of desperation to get something fixed so it would work for me and other frustrated customers. I did not do it for eir.

The pain is over. I got the lady in the local eir shop to ring the support and I asked the guy on the other end of the line to delete my eir account. I re-registered and, as I already said in my first post: it will work. It does work. I know, I am right about the programming bit because that causes those kind of problems. If errors are not caught..., it will give up working if there is an error. Until eir thinks, that those issues should be fixed, there will be a lot of angry, frustrated and disappointed customers.

tokenring, if you should decide to go down the same road, make sure that you have all of your bills downloaded. If not, you might get the eir agent to send them out to you before getting the "my eir" account deleted. If you don't need those bills for tax or business reasons, then it might not matter.

Poff,

Many thanks for that - now I know how to fix the problem.

Via PM, Eir got back to me and gave a resolution time of 24-48 hours, so I'll likely let that play out and go to a shop/get the account deleted after that. In any case I will let ComReg know that their procedures are not being followed, though the problem is of course that there is no enforcement or sanctions due to non-compliance.

tokenring,

the eir shop can not delete the "my eir" account. That only can be done by ringing the support. I only use the shop to reduce the pain of having to press buttons and getting p***ed off along the way until connected to some bright spark who will understand and do as told.

Unfortunately, this only is a temporary fix until something goes wrong again - unless eir cares to fix it.

I hope, it will work for you. Thank you for your support, I enjoyed reading your posts.

• Advertisement

tokenring,

the eir shop can not delete the "my eir" account. That only can be done by ringing the support. I only use the shop to reduce the pain of having to press buttons and getting p***ed off along the way until connected to some bright spark who will understand and do as told.

Unfortunately, this only is a temporary fix until something goes wrong again - unless eir cares to fix it.

I hope, it will work for you. Thank you for your support, I enjoyed reading your posts.
    Poff,

Thanks again - can the normal support agents delete the account or do you have to be put through to the 'my eir' department?

Even getting to a agent in the first place is an exercise in frustration. When I call 1901 the system requires a phone number to be entered but in my case I keep getting an "invalid Eir number" error message when I enter my number, and there is no option to bypass this and talk to an agent. So the main 1901 customer support number cannot be used to report a customer problem. Well done Eir.

Instead I have to call one the numbers to be used "from abroad" 01-430-7066 or 01-430-7085 and this works. When I asked which of these numbers should be used, or if there's another better one, all I got was "call 1901, call 1901 - that's the number" even when I explained that wouldn't work. Looks like the agents are prevented from providing any other number, or don't actually know all the numbers that can be used to reach customer support.

The joys of dealing with eir. But I don't think, it is the support staff, I think, it is eir's policies on how to deal with customers. It is very poor performing and, as support staff, I would feel very bad about it and would try to get a better job.

The support agents on 1901 can delete the "my eir" account. I guess or hopefully, the eir representatives here might be able to pass on such a request. I know the 1901 support. I have hardly any reception at home and, using my mobile to call them, is no good. So I tried my "land line" phone and eir's machinery does not pick up the dial tones. Eir makes it extremely difficult for customers. I wonder why. What is the politics behind it? Can somebody enlighten us please?

As I said before, that is the reason, I go to the eir shop and let them ring. Try to get your account deleted by the "eir Representatives" here. It might work. My account got deleted twice, first from the support guy on the phone and then again. Could have been a passed on request from here, because I requested the deletion of my account in a pm.

I hope, your pain will be over soon, tokenring. Don't get too annoyed by all of this, it isn't good for you and eir does not deserve it. All the best.

The joys of dealing with eir. But I don't think, it is the support staff, I think, it is eir's policies on how to deal with customers. It is very poor performing and, as support staff, I would feel very bad about it and would try to get a better job.

The support agents on 1901 can delete the "my eir" account. I guess or hopefully, the eir representatives here might be able to pass on such a request. I know the 1901 support. I have hardly any reception at home and, using my mobile to call them, is no good. So I tried my "land line" phone and eir's machinery does not pick up the dial tones. Eir makes it extremely difficult for customers. I wonder why. What is the politics behind it? Can somebody enlighten us please?

As I said before, that is the reason, I go to the eir shop and let them ring. Try to get your account deleted by the "eir Representatives" here. It might work. My account got deleted twice, first from the support guy on the phone and then again. Could have been a passed on request from here, because I requested the deletion of my account in a pm.

I hope, your pain will be over soon, tokenring. Don't get too annoyed by all of this, it isn't good for you and eir does not deserve it. All the best.
    Poff,

Thanks again for the details on how you fixed the problem - it's very helpful. I will ask for deletion of my account in a PM to a rep here.

I had the same problem when calling from a land line phone - the Eir system did not recognize the touch tone key presses. A quick scan through the boards shows that others have had the same problem in the past. This is pretty stunning - the phone company itself has an IVR system that does not reliably handle touch tones from a land line. It sums up their whole approach really - they don't care that their systems and procedures are broken and just expect their customers to waste time and effort trying to navigate around all these roadblocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

tokenring wrote: »

Poff,

Thanks again for the details on how you fixed the problem - it's very helpful. I will ask for deletion of my account in a PM to a rep here.

I had the same problem when calling from a land line phone - the Eir system did not recognize the touch tone key presses. A quick scan through the boards shows that others have had the same problem in the past. This is pretty stunning - the phone company itself has an IVR system that does not reliably handle touch tones from a land line. It sums up their whole approach really - they don't care that their systems and procedures are broken and just expect their customers to waste time and effort trying to navigate around all these roadblocks.
    Hi all, 

I can see Kyle has been in contact with you's through PM's. He is investigating this for you and will come back to you as soon as he has an update. 

Apologies for the delays incurred. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Advertisement