Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastic waste at Irish running events

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Not running related, but closely related to this, next time you are on the train going from Connolly towards Drumcondra, look out the left hand window, and notice the amount of filth local residents throw over the walls of their back garden into that deadzone between their garden and the train tracks. Humans, as a species, really are disgusting when you think about it.

You really wonder what kind of people these are. Just dont get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Got caught here one year to volunteer at a water station in local marathon.never again.bunch of ungrateful pr1cks the lot of them.
    We were only 8k in and you would swear they never drank a drop in their lives.
    Hundreds of plastic bottles that we had to uncap and have ready on a table.they would grab one passing take a little slug and fcuk it into the ditch with a big important head on them.
    One of the front ass holes shouted he wanted a bottle left into his RIGHT hand.shouted back to get it him fcukin self off the table.and when all the want to be Sonia o sullivans had passed forest gump here had to pick up all the bottles and bag them up. The last few through were giving out we had none left and hundreds of bottles with a slug gone fired all over the place.
    Home then for forest gump and not so much as a thank you.never a fcukin again

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Butterbeans

I ran the Maynooth 10k a couple of weeks back and they gave out water in hard plastic cups. All cups were being collected as they were being discarded. Same when you crossed the finish line, water was in hard plastic cups, and there was a narrow stretch you had to pass through when leaving where all cups had to be relinquished. I had never seen it done before at a race, but not a bad idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

grab one passing take a little slug and fcuk it into the ditch ......
    hundreds of bottles with a slug gone fired all over the place.

Which is another good reason why bottles shouldn't be used, they're a massive waste.
    I ran the Maynooth 10k a couple of weeks back and they gave out water in hard plastic cups. All cups were being collected as they were being discarded. Same when you crossed the finish line, water was in hard plastic cups, and there was a narrow stretch you had to pass through when leaving where all cups had to be relinquished. I had never seen it done before at a race, but not a bad idea.

I've volunteered at events in which we didn't let participants run off with the cups, most were glad for a brief stop anyway, and we reused the plastic cups. There was always the one dick who'd run off with one and then throw it away expecting someone to run after them and pick it up, assholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

All you really need is a few huge skips for the mile or so after the water station in DCM. If people knew there was going to be one, they would hold on to a bottle. Unfortunately, some lovely local would probably get rid of that mattress he's been meaning to throw in the canal for ages...... :)

It might be just me, but I hate stopping running for water, I much prefer keeping moving even if at a slower pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You really wonder what kind of people these are. Just dont get it

They are the kind of people taking over society today. Lazy ass irresponsible blame gaming couldn't give a fook about standards rules regulations don't want to pay for nothing it's never my fault assholes.......and social media has given them one hell of a voice....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

All bottles used in the Dublin Marathon are recycled by Thorntons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭nowaynever

Could we use coconuts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭nowaynever

Or edible bottles maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

It’s easy to joke about this topic but the reality is that runners - assuming we are all on the page - are out in front of the general public on environmental issues (because we ARE the environment and we care more than the schmos). So what are WE doing to encourage race organisers to do away with the plastic, the metal, and the fabric? We don’t need any of this ****e, and we all know it. What about an AAI sustainable race badge? I’d sign up for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

All bottles used in the Dublin Marathon are recycled by Thorntons.

While this is great, the real question to ask is what energy and resources are used to recycle them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭purple cow

Advertisement