Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pan for browing meat and scrambled eggs?

• 31-05-2018 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

I have two different sized ceramic pans from Lidl, and I love to use them, but neither brown meat very well, mainly diced chicken breast and steak, and when I try it I fear I am damaging the pans. Is there a type of pan that would brown this meat better? Bonus if a healthy option, as I have read some non-stick pans may be harmful.

I also use one of the ceramics for scrambling eggs low and slow, and there is no issue the scrambled eggs they produce, only the mess they leave in the pan which require soaking before scraping the remaining egg off before washing. Is there a better pan for cooking scrambled eggs, or is the ceramic as good as it gets?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

After scrambled eggs, put cold water in the pot straightaway. It helps with getting it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

spurious wrote: »
    After scrambled eggs, put cold water in the pot straightaway. It helps with getting it off.

Cold over say hot or warm from the kettle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This one is great for scrambled eggs. Just get a good non stick pan

http://www.sweeneyorourke.com/ebstore/so/product.asp?p_part_code=FP12NS

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Cold over say hot or warm from the kettle?

Yes cold. It stops any further cooking, which will continue with warm water, or while the pot is still warm. Boiling water will weld it even more to the pot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Non stick for scramblers and omlettes (only, no searing temperatures or you'll make it non non stick quick).
    Steel or cast iron for searing.

Sometimes there's no tool that does both jobs well, and for frying pans, you might as well do it right. The steel/cast iron will last indefinitely, and cheap non stick pans are plentiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I use a small non-stick saucepan for scrambled eggs. The eggs won’t stick and a quick scrape out in to the dustbin before washing is all you need.

For cooking in general, I have a set of three cast iron skillets.

In general, it’s alwats easier to wash pots & pans while they’re still warm or hot. With my cast iron skillets, a quick run under the tap and a light rub is usually all you need. No detergent or washing up liquid required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

We can't have non-stick because we've multiple pet birds, so I only ever use cast iron. I find that as long as you only very rarely wash them with detergent, cast iron gets very non-stick, even for eggs. There are loads of youtube videos about seasoning new cast iron pans if it's something you haven't done before.

They are also much much better for searing meat as you can heat them to as hot as you like and they retain heat much better than a thinner pan. Flipping pancakes is the only thing that's a bit harder in cast iron because of the weight but hey, you can think of it as a little workout before eating all the pancakes :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Scrambled egg pots are the bane of my life! Always one soaking on the sink here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I have an ancient non stick saucepan (which tbf I mind so it's lasted well). Cold water straight into it after cooking and it only ever needs a wipe of a cloth.

Browning meat, as heavy a pan as you can manage - I have an ikea non stick one which is brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,127 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Cast iron here too for searing meat.
    Non stick pan for eggs.

The closest I've had to a pan that would do both are my circulon pans that I got in tkmax years ago. Not as non stick as teflon but much harder wearing. Great pans.

I don't often do scrambled eggs but if I do I usually do them in a glass bowl over a pot of hot water. It takes a while but makes lovely scrambled eggs. Easy to clean the bowl, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Thanks for all the great advice.

I visited IKEA and bought the two following pans:

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/cookware/frying-pans-woks/oumb%C3%A4rlig-frying-pan-art-50292096/
    Thick base with one layer of aluminium between two layers of stainless steel. Gives an even and energy-efficient heat, which reduces the risk of food burning and sticking.

This was great for scrambled eggs, and much easier to clean than the ceramics :)

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/cookware/frying-pans-woks/senior-frying-pan-off-white-art-90264845/
    Made from cast iron, which spreads heat evenly, keeps the pan warm for a long time, and gives food an even browning.

This unfortunately remains in its packaging, and I am in a few minutes about to cook steak using a ceramic. I was very happy picking this up, especially as their website listed it as out of stock. The reason I am not using it, is that I have hemochromatosis, and there are warnings online to not use cast iron pans if you have this. Some of the warnings say not to use non-enamelled cast iron pans, so I am unsure if it is a good idea or not. I am probably going to return it and exchange for something else here:

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/cookware/frying-pans-woks/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This is the one I have https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/cookware/frying-pans-woks/trov%C3%A4rdig-frying-pan-golden-brown-art-40270151/ and I have to say I find it fantastic (I actually have two of them!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Cast iron here too for searing meat.
    Non stick pan for eggs.
    That'd be me too.

it took me many years and many a ruined pot/pan to realise that you can't really have a one pan fits all.

I have a little Tefal non stick pan for doing scrambled eggs and pancakes. It's really easy to clean and once the temperature doesn't get too high it the nonstick coating lasts much longer. When I'm done cooking I just give it a quick wipe with kitchen paper and then add boiling water. I find adding the boiling water when the pan is still hot works best.

For cooking steak and other meats that need to be seared I have a medium sized cast iron pan that I use. You can get it blisteringly hot without damaging it. The older it gets the more nonstick it becomes, and it's super easy to clean once you wipe away any fat/grease residue.

I've a larger nonstick pan for when I need more room in the pan but I've pretty much ruined the nonstick coating by letting it get too hot too often.

Advertisement