Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gender-Neutral Pronouns

• 31-05-2018 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭

"Ey/em/eir/eirs
    Ne/nem/nir/nirs
    Xe/xem/xyr/xyrs
    Ze/hir/hir/hirs

Ze/zir/zir/zirs
    They/them etc"

Just a general question, would you go to the trouble of learning pronouns?

I wouldn’t bother my a** to go through the trouble of learning every persons pronoun/s. I simply refuse to.

For example, people on campus are demanding now to be referred to as "'they, their, and them'". Does anyone else feel this has gone beyond a joke and is borderline narcissistic?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

How did this crap get so much traction in the first place? Literally nobody gives a ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭bot43

“I used to be with it, but then they changed what ‘it’ was, and now what I’m with isn’t it. And what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary to me.”

Times change. I may not be fully understanding of gender fluidity/neutrality etc etc etc, but its happening so may as well embrace it, or at least try not to poo poo it entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Get the f*ck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

A lady i work with, her daughter is gender fluid, she was telling me all about it, interesting. But she did say her 'daughter' doesn't get pissed off at people at all about it, it's her own personal thing and some of her friends try but it's not a big deal. She is aware the world around her isn't going to change just for her. Fair enough.

Seems more in the Americas they get extremely angry if a stranger gets their 'pronoun's' wrong even though they don't know that person from atom. Rediculous.

It's also an age thing IMHO. I can't imagine this following through life for most people into their 50s etc. But, sure, what would I know. Lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Meh, I'll try to be accommodating and not 'offend' people.

Might even stretch to they and them (even though it upsets my grammar sensibilities)

But entirely new and makey up 'pronouns'....nah that's crossing the line for me to be honest.

Ze can go screw themsel(f)(ves) in their safespaces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

MrFinance wrote: »
    "Ey/em/eir/eirs
    Ne/nem/nir/nirs
    Xe/xem/xyr/xyrs
    Ze/hir/hir/hirs

Ze/zir/zir/zirs
    They/them etc"

I wouldn’t bother my a** to go through the trouble of learning every persons pronoun/s. I simply refuse to.

For example, people on campus are demanding now to be referred to as "'they, their, and them'". Does anyone else feel this has gone beyond a joke and is borderline narcissistic?

Honestly if I wasn't sure I would use "they or them" or just use the persons name and that's really just so I don't embarrass myself by getting it wrong.

I'm not sure I really get it because I'd only use "he" or "she" if I was talking ABOUT you rather than to you so it is kind of weird to have people saying essentially "if you are ever talking about me then you have to talk about me this way". Weird.

I mean it's not like you'd be down the pub with Steve and Steve says "where's John" and you say "ah he's on holiday with his family" and Steve is gonna flip out because John's pronouns are actually Ze and Zir.

Also, I am not really sure on the rules of pronouns. Can you have ANY pronouns you like? Can I make them up? Can I change them day to day? What should I do if someone uses the wrong pronouns?

It just seems to me like if someone is going to hassle me about using the wrong pronouns then fine my pronouns are 11011010111011001110 and you'd better not screw that up or I will freak out too.

It's rare to address someone directly by their pronouns anyway, isn't it?

For example, people on campus are demanding now to be referred to as "'they, their, and them'".

Out of curiosity, when you say 'people on campus' is this an Irish campus you're talking about? Have you experienced this or is it just something you've read somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I identify as a garlic cheese chip. What is my pronoun?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

J. Marston wrote: »
    Gicc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Yum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Homer Simpsons drooling sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

wexie wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, when you say 'people on campus' is this an Irish campus you're talking about? Have you experienced this or is it just something you've read somewhere?

I know someone, in their early 30s by the way, who has stated a few times that their pronouns are "they" and "them" and as you can see here I have no issue referring to them in that way.

However, when we meet up I'm always using "you" and "your" pronouns as in "how are you" and "how's your brother getting on" so I have to admit I don't "get" it.

If I'm talking to a mutual friend then we might sometimes use "he" pronouns for this person but it's like they don't know so... what's the point?

It just seems like a kind of attempt to appear special or right on or progressive or whatever.

Most people who are transitioning are clearly trying to "pass" as a man or a woman. So I can't imagine someone who's spending a ton of time and effort and money and going through sh!t to transition from being a man to being a woman is going to want to be referred to anything other than "she".

Maybe it's the idea that the words "male" and "female" come with certain connotations and the best way to ingratiate yourself with certain groups (especially online) and distance yourself from being "traditional" is to say "well I identify as neither".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

kneemos wrote: »
    How did this crap get so much traction in the first place? Literally nobody gives a ****e.

Gender studies departments in universities which are constantly pandered to in order to keep them happy. Which of course they never are, hence the relentless idiocy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If the person is male, i'll refer to that person as 'he' him' 'his' etc

If the person is female, I'll refer to them as 'she' her' 'hers' etc

There is no inbetween, you are either one or the other. Some people may be conflicted in their mind as to their gender and that is fine, that does not alter the fact that they are male or female in appearance.

This whole thing has gotten plain fcuking ridiculous and I know that in many cases its not these people that are raising these ridiculous concerns and its idiots who have nothing better to do than looks for issues to complain about and in many instances, these perceived issues do not effect those complaining in any way shape or form.

Anyone who says any different can go off and fcuk themselves from a height.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Most of this comes from people that rather than being unsure of their gender are unsure of their sexual orientation and have somehow confused them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭MrFinance

There is no inbetween, you are either one or the other. Some people may be conflicted in their mind as to their gender and that is fine, that does not alter the fact that they are male or female in appearance.

This whole thing has gotten plain fcuking ridiculous and I know that in many cases its not these people that are raising these ridiculous concerns and its idiots who have nothing better to do than looks for issues to complain about and in many instances, these perceived issues do not effect those complaining in any way shape or form.

Agree with all the above. For example, one of the girls who attended University with me has recently identified as God only knows what. Anyway, I recently said "how's your day goin' girl?", totally forgot she identifies as a plank of wood and subjected myself to some abuse. Yes, I some how managed to trigger a group of snowflakes by greeting somebody and saying the word girl. Ridiculous carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

No, I won't be bothering with it in general.

I don't give a toss what you identify as - a man, a woman, both, neither, a machine, a fruit or a mythical creature, I just don't care.

If I'm talking to you i'll either call you by name or use "you".
    If I'm talking about you it will be by name, "he", "she" or "they".

That's what I will do - I mean no offence, if you take some, I can live with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Have a look at youtube and Jordan Peterson having a row outside his campus with some liberals who seem to identify as liberal but really come across as conservative . God Forbid the people dont conform to liberal views. The left is the new right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

My first name isn’t particularly common but 2 similar names are more common where i live. Which means people are likely to call me by the other names. It used to annoy me when people got my name wrong but not now.

I do appreciate when people go to the trouble of learning my name or asking me directly how to say it. It shows the basic level of respect and a willingness to call me by my preferred name.

I see this gender stuff in the same way. I don’t pretend to understand any of the gender business. I was born a heterosexual man and that suits me just fine. I can’t really imagine what it’s like to have a mismatch between sex and gender.

But if someone wants to be called he, ze, or she, then it’s no skin off my nose to learn their preferred noun. I’d probably be defensive if someone got ratty about my using the wrong name through ignorance or by accident. But I have a friend Daniel who corrects people each and every time the call him Dan. That’s fair enough I suppose. He wants to be called Daniel so I do my best to remember to call him Daniel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

What a load of eh.....balls?

They can go and stick their pronouns up they're holes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Obligatory:

I identify as an Attack Helicopter.

My pronouns are "Hellfire Missile" and "Screaming Villagers"

My first name isn’t particularly common but 2 similar names are more common where i live. Which means people are likely to call me by the other names. It used to annoy me when people got my name wrong but not now.

I do appreciate when people go to the trouble of learning my name or asking me directly how to say it. It shows the basic level of respect and a willingness to call me by my preferred name.

I see this gender stuff in the same way. I don’t pretend to understand any of the gender business. I was born a heterosexual man and that suits me just fine. I can’t really imagine what it’s like to have a mismatch between sex and gender.

But if someone wants to be called he, ze, or she, then it’s no skin off my nose to learn their preferred noun. I’d probably be defensive if someone got ratty about my using the wrong name through ignorance or by accident. But I have a friend Daniel who corrects people each and every time the call him Dan. That’s fair enough I suppose. He wants to be called Daniel so I do my best to remember to call him Daniel.

It's not the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Singular 'they' was quite common when I was a child in the 80s, when talking about an unknown person.
    Some people hate it, but it's not a new feature in English.

Most of the time you shouldn't really be using he or she in ear shot of the person you are talking about, but it happens.

I would have trouble remembering any of the new made up pronouns. Zir Xe vem types.
    I'm happy enough to use 'they' as a unisex pronoun.

It's basic politeness at this point.
    And it's actually less hassle than the amount of effort people put into complaining about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

"Ey/em/eir/eirs
    Ne/nem/nir/nirs
    Xe/xem/xyr/xyrs
    Ze/hir/hir/hirs

Ze/zir/zir/zirs
    They/them etc"

Bahahahahahahahaha!!!

Anyone who is pretentious enough to want someone else to address them, by their own made up make-believe pronouns... that is the type of person you should actively go out of your way to piss off every chance you get! :p

It is your societal duty, no less!! :pac:

me
    you
    yer man
    yer wan
    youz
    yizzaer
    dem dere

Courtesy of foil arms and hogg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Realistically, how many people am I going to meet in real life who ask me to use a different pronoun for them? I doubt it'll be so many that I'll be overwhelmed and unable to remember. It's a small courtesy.

Vojera wrote: »
    Realistically, how many people am I going to meet in real life who ask me to use a different pronoun for them? I doubt it'll be so many that I'll be overwhelmed and unable to remember. It's a small courtesy.

I'd like people to call me Sir or King from now on. Wont someone afford me that courtesy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's not the same

It’s pretty similar. They can call me by the other names and they’ll still get my attention, but I prefer to be called by my name.

• Advertisement

Does anyone actually know the difference between ?

Ey/em/eir/eirs
    Ne/nem/nir/nirs
    Xe/xem/xyr/xyrs
    Ze/hir/hir/hirs
    Ze/zir/zir/zirs

Is there a difference? If not why do we need different pronouns? Why not just they and them for gender neutral? What are the rules like? Are there any rules?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭Anastasia_

I honestly just don't get this.

I was very involved in a group during the repeal campaign, and now the head of said group is campaigning for 'gender neutral' legislation. What do people think of this? By gender neutral I think she means that words like 'mother' should be replaced with 'child bearer' etc. Are people honestly so easily offended that they think this is necessary?

Anastasia_ wrote: »
    I honestly just don't get this.

I was very involved in a group during the repeal campaign, and now the head of said group is campaigning for 'gender neutral' legislation. What do people think of this? By gender neutral I think she means that words like 'mother' should be replaced with 'child bearer' etc. Are people honestly so easily offended that they think this is necessary?

christ on a bike. People should be saving up there 'I'm offended' by having a look at the way we treat our young sick and elderly in this country.

Vojera wrote: »

I don't know...I'd be part inclined to agree with you.

Part it seems a bit too much like the thin end of the wedge.

But who knows, maybe it just is progress* evolution

*genuinely can't think of it as that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Preferably with a long barbed titanium pole doused in petrol and set alight.

If you cannot accept what you are, then it's your mind that has the issue. Whether you're born male, female, hermaphrodite, etc, you are what you are. That's the way you were born. the way nature intended you to be. And if anyone dares mention this, then we're labelled as intolerant and backwards. It is madness.

Joking aside,

I do agree with language progression, and if someone wants to be addressed as 'whatever' thats also fine. But if they start getting unrealistically upset about it, the can feck off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

Melendez wrote: »

Roight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭Harika

First of all it is very rare that someone uses their pronouns and if you can learn someones names, adding the pronouns can be done too.
    But what I find hilarious is, that the Anti-SJWs claim that the SJWs are offended and are such snowflakes. While themselves being so offended that they cannot stop moaning and complaining about the SJWs.
    Overall it is a non issue, that impacts so few, but rubs so many.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Its all alt right

wexie wrote: »
    Does anyone actually know the difference between ?

Ey/em/eir/eirs
    Ne/nem/nir/nirs
    Xe/xem/xyr/xyrs
    Ze/hir/hir/hirs
    Ze/zir/zir/zirs

Is there a difference? If not why do we need different pronouns? Why not just they and them for gender neutral? What are the rules like? Are there any rules?

Rules are increasing exponentially at this stage. Public shaming will be the goto punishment for breaking them. Only when we can finally admit without a doubt that we in fact love The Rules will we have a slice of peace.

Harika wrote: »
    First of all it is very rare that someone uses their pronouns and if you can learn someones names, adding the pronouns can be done too.

But that's not practical. I dont need to know everyones name, and in the same vein I shouldnt be penalized for not getting everyones pronoun right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

No, this is absolutely ridiculous. It's him and her, his and hers. Nothing else, we need to stop pandering to this people with their ridiculous faux outrage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Paulzx

"Ey/em/eir/eirs
    Ne/nem/nir/nirs
    Xe/xem/xyr/xyrs
    Ze/hir/hir/hirs

Ze/zir/zir/zirs
    They/them etc"

While trying to read them all i can think of is Manual from Fawlty Towers!!

Si Mr Fawlty!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

If someone wants to be referred to by certain pronouns, I will be happy to oblige as long as they give me a little leeway so that I can get use to using them.

I see no reason not to comply with a polite request.

But that's not practical. I dont need to know everyones name, and in the same vein I shouldnt be penalized for not getting everyones pronoun right.

Who penalises you? And how long did it take you to learn the full name of the last person you met? 10 seconds? 20 seconds? Add 5 for the pronouns for a one off event as it is so rare.

Who penalises you? And how long did it take you to learn the full name of the last person you met? 10 seconds? 20 seconds? Add 5 for the pronouns for a one off event as it is so rare.

I dont have to learn the name of people I meet. Do you learn the name of everyone you meet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭MrFinance

But what I find hilarious is, that the Anti-SJWs claim that the SJWs are offended and are such snowflakes. While themselves being so offended that they cannot stop moaning and complaining about the SJWs.
    Overall it is a non issue, that impacts so few, but rubs so many.

Then I suppose I have decided that my preferred pronouns are "Your Majesty" or "Your Royal Highness". Either one will work for me. If you refer to me as neither I will screech and get my 'squad' after you!

Well I had an experience that would push me in the way of leaning towards being an Anti-SJW. Why should I go to the extent of learning peoples pronouns or placing them in my phone? I just think the whole debate is ridiculous.

I literally got shouted at for saying "girl" to a girl? *Scratches head*:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

They can **** off with their fancy pronouns. It would be no loss to my life if they chose not to interact with me because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I will be offended if anyone refers to me using one of these new pronouns

Ha!
    Take that sjw w*ankers.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

I dont have to learn the name of people I meet. Do you learn the name of everyone you meet?

Only of those where it makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

I lived in Kilkenny for a while as a school girl, and everyone, regardless of gender, was a lad. Groups of girls in school were addressed as ''Well, lads?'', ''Hey, lads'', ''Howzit goin' Lads,''; social commentary went along the lines of ''I just seen the lads coming up town'', and the brief and all-encompassing ''Lads'' was used almost universally as a casual greeting. I don't know if this was a brief aberration or confined to the rarified atmosphere of the Presentation Convent mid 80s :rolleyes:, or indeed if it still goes on generally in that part of the world, but maybe it would be the simple solution to a silly problem if we were all called lads for a while. I wouldn't mind. I quite liked being a lad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement