Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breaking: Zidane leaving Real Madrid

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Zidane to Old Trafford?

That would be interesting.

Jose could take the Goodison hot seat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think he will get the France job after the World Cup and then go on to succeed Florentino Perez.

He might go straight into the higher echelons at Real Madrid.

I doubt he has the personal wealth necessary to succeed Perez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,487 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Zidane to Old Trafford?

That would be interesting.

Jose could take the Goodison hot seat

Pfft, we'd prefer Alan Pardew.

United thread joke....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I doubt he has the personal wealth necessary to succeed Perez.

Why would personal wealth be needed?
    Its a popular vote by club members, his personal assets are meaningless to the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,487 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Its a popular vote by club members, his personal assets are meaningless to the club.

Hasn't Perez pumped money into Madrid himself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

3 champions league trophies in 2.5 seasons. Over one CL a year. That's quite impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If he just mentions the France job in passing, Didier Deschamps will be out.

On the other hand I'd not be shocked if he went into politics, France likes a charismatic left field personality and he'd easily tap into the yooth/ethnic demographic while not scaring "middle France"

Hasn't Perez pumped money into Madrid himself?

No. He can't.
    Real are run exactly the same way as Barcelona and a few other top flight clubs in Spain. Board members can't put money in or take money out (besides their salaries).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

astradave wrote: »
    Got the notification there, actually shocked me as I thought he would stay after the CL final. Wonder where he will end up now

Boards are looking for a new mod :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I can't see Zidane upping sticks and leaving Madrid as a home. He'll either take an international gig or as said before, start his plan for Presidency if Real Madrid. The Estadio Santiago Bernabeu may have a new name in our life times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Moyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Moyes speaks good spanish.

Wonder if Poch is regretting signing that new contract last week.

You know he knew and did it as a parting gift to Levy to get more money when madrid come in -done deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I don't wanna spread rumours here or anything, but I did see Steve the legend Staunton in Easons with a copy of "Spanish for dummies" ... coincidence ??? I think not ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It's not like you can look to the future and build at Real Madrid.

He was going to get the sack sooner or later. He couldn't keep winning CLs forever.

Best time to do it, really.
    You can't call it a last hurrah or anything for this team, but they were miles off the pace in the league this season and it's not clear where Zidane could have taken them.

It'll be interesting to see what he does next. I think international management is a good shout. Maybe it'd have more in common with Real than normal club management.

It'd be a very different role trying to do the same at PSG, where they neither have the squad of winners or the tradition of it, and other more normal clubs would probably need more input on a squad management and technical coaching level, which is an area he is yet unproven in, but deserves a crack at more than most.

His time at Madrid has certainly cemented his legend status. I'm not sure anyone in football has managed to do what he's done as both a player and a manager. Cruyff kinda invented a whole way of football, but in terms of concrete success, not many can match Zidane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Wenger In

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

what about Sol Campbell for the job ?
    Probably one of the greatest football minds of our times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Sam Allardyce is available...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I cant see Conte getting it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I rang Paddy Power half an hour ago for a price for Pardew.

Still holding. . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't wanna spread rumours here or anything, but I did see Steve the legend Staunton in Easons with a copy of "Spanish for dummies" ... coincidence ??? I think not ..

This stopped being funny about five years ago. Soooo old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Perfect time now for Big Sam he is free to join Real

Aye a manager like Sam Allerdici and his Italian heritage can bring loads to Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Kiith wrote: »
    Absolute madness. It's got to be one of the most toxic clubs in the world.

They've won 4 out of 5 Champions Leagues and are arguably the most successful club side in the world.

I wish my club was that toxic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

There are minimum personal wealth requirements in order to be eligible. You can't borrow the money required or be backed by a consortium - you need to have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Leaving like a boss.

His sense of timing is excellent as I feel he probably wouldn't have made it to Christmas if he stayed on.

Can't ask for a better way to go out really though

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

My favourite player of all time, an absolute legend who won literally every trophy the game has to offer.

Did very well at Madrid and I wish him all the best wherever he ends up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,214 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think its a good move for him.

After all he's won, the only way is DOWN and getting the sack. Appointed at start of 2018, and has won 9 trophies. Not too shabby.

But I think there was other things which probably caused him to make the decision, its Real Madrid after all.
    My guess is that Perez, who is a big fan of Bale, told him Bale was going nowhere and he was to be a regular next season, ZZ doesn't like Bale and basically said, I'm gone.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    There are minimum personal wealth requirements in order to be eligible. You can't borrow the money required or be backed by a consortium - you need to have it.

Just saw that from a google. Bank guarantee of 15% of clubs yearly budget.

You also have to be a Spanish citizen.

El Presidente ZiZu is not happening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

eagle eye wrote: »
    This stopped being funny about five years ago. Soooo old.

I'm still chuckling away in the office over it - in fact, people are looking at me strangely.

You'd have to think a job like PSG would suit him. And I'm sure all the money they'd throw at him would make his decision easier.

Or maybe he'd fancy Man Utd? Or Juve?

• Advertisement

I can see ZZ doing a guardiola doing fcuk all for a year or 2 then going back to Juve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I dont think he'll struggle to find work once he does decide he wants to go back to it.

Not many 3 time winning CL coaches knocking about. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,006 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

KungPao wrote: »
    Harry Redknapp. Dead cert for this.

Just been spotted hanging out a Range Rover window on Gran Via talking to the locals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

What's Raul up to these days?

• If it doesn't work out for Jose this season I'd take him at Utd no bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Only manager ever to win the CL everytime he's taken part. What a stat. No way he'll maintain it if he goes to another club but still an amazing feat.

I'd say he will sit back now and take over France after the World Cup,

that's the plan I'd say. probably doesn't like the hassle of day-to-day mgt, especially the way it's done at Madrid.

he's a rich man already - estimated net worth of $70 mill - and still making handy easy money from endorsements from the legacy of his playing days.

• Only manager ever to win the CL everytime he's taken part. What a stat. No way he'll maintain it if he goes to another club but still an amazing feat.

And add the fact his managerial career thus far has been so short

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

glasso wrote: »
    that's the plan I'd say. probably doesn't like the hassle of day-to-day mgt, especially the way it's done at Madrid.

he's a rich man already - estimated net worth of $70 mill - and still making handy easy money from endorsements from the legacy of his playing days.

A really talented bunch of young French players that will be reaching their peak in the next few years.

If he wins the Euro's and the World cup with them well that is some legacy as a player and manager.

• Advertisement

A really talented bunch of young French players that will be reaching their peak in the next few years.

If he wins the Euro's and the World cup with them well that is some legacy as a player and manager.

yeah, the French squad just need a good manager to get them playing with passion and with a practical style (needed to win the big tournaments)

with a guy like Zidane in charge you'd imagine the gravitas of the man alone would work wonders - unless it all went terribly wrong of course :D

Deschamps has been there since 2012 so surely a change is in order, even if France do well in Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Rezident

Shocked by this. Big fan of Zidane, I think he knows what he's doing, he's wise too. Going out on top before the inevitable being blamed for something that's not his fault.

Zizou has done an amazing job, not just the football, but managing the egos of some of those players, not many people in the world would have done that.

I hope Wenger gets the job next.

I see Wenger second favourite....I bet he would absolutely love that job.

But Wenger is like a man who would need a handful of years to put his stamp on the team/squad. This sort of time is rarely afforded to any manager at the Bernabeu.

Poch @ Spurs is the bookies favourite. I think the best fit would be Allegri @ Juve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think Wenger would be a perfect fit. Having Casemiro and Kroos in midfield makes it easy for his system to excel.

Advertisement