Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unauthorised direct debit due to billing error, mandate previously cancelled

• 31-05-2018 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭

[font=arial, sans-serif]Hi,[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]I'm posting this email which my partner sent to support as we got a message saying the support email service was disabled. In short your billing department is attempting to perform an unauthorised direct debit for a bill which was made in error on a mandate which we previously informed had been cancelled months ago. This isn't the first such issue we've had, you may remember me from such support threads as this, this, and this.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]We closed our eirVision, broadband and home phone account in March of this year, returned the eirVision box, and two broadband modems via Parcel Motel and An Post respectively. We cancelled the associated direct debit mandate with our bank after the final bill was processed.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]On May 23rd I received a bill from eir for €78.41. On querying this the chat rep informed this was for an unreturned eirVision box. Once I informed them that we had in fact returned it the rep confirmed that the charge would be waived. I then provided the Parcel Motel tracking number. The rep was also informed that the direct debit mandate had been cancelled and any attempt to perform a direct debit would fail.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]This was done over a number of chat sessions, we have no transcript as when we asked the last rep for transcripts of previous sessions they said they were all deleted for data protection purposes. We have some screenshots though.[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]
    attachment.php?attachmentid=452116&stc=1&d=1527766300

Today (May 30th) I got another notification for a bill for the same amount. On querying this again the rep said that they would proceed with the direct debit on June 4th and credit us back afterwards.

attachment.php?attachmentid=452117&stc=1&d=1527766300
    attachment.php?attachmentid=452118&stc=1&d=1527766300

This is unacceptable as this is a completely unauthorised charge, generated due to an error on eir's part, which I cannot be expected to pay and then wait a month for a refund (something very similar happened when I originally opened the account, a month was the minimum time to process a refund), especially since we do not actually owe eir any money. In any case the direct debit will fail, as previously warned.

When we were previously debited €150 for free equipment, having been assured by support that this would not happen, and we instructed our bank to return the debit, we were charged €15 for a failed direct debit. When we complained we were told that they would waive the charge, as if they were doing us a favour.

I will refuse to accept any further charges due to a failed direct debit, as this is due to an failure on eir's part.

I appreciate that these issues have nothing to do with the reps and more to do with failures in the CRM system. I am not currently authorised by eir to make account instructions on behalf of my partner (although I previously was with eircom and this changed without warning), this post is just for informative purposes. Please let me know who I should send the account details to so you can note that the unauthorised direct debit will fail.

Kind regards.[/font]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭eir: Kyle

TheChizler wrote: »
    [font=arial, sans-serif]Hi,[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]I'm posting this email which my partner sent to support as we got a message saying the support email service was disabled. In short your billing department is attempting to perform an unauthorised direct debit for a bill which was made in error on a mandate which we previously informed had been cancelled months ago. This isn't the first such issue we've had, you may remember me from such support threads as this, this, and this.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]We closed our eirVision, broadband and home phone account in March of this year, returned the eirVision box, and two broadband modems via Parcel Motel and An Post respectively. We cancelled the associated direct debit mandate with our bank after the final bill was processed.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]On May 23rd I received a bill from eir for €78.41. On querying this the chat rep informed this was for an unreturned eirVision box. Once I informed them that we had in fact returned it the rep confirmed that the charge would be waived. I then provided the Parcel Motel tracking number. The rep was also informed that the direct debit mandate had been cancelled and any attempt to perform a direct debit would fail.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]This was done over a number of chat sessions, we have no transcript as when we asked the last rep for transcripts of previous sessions they said they were all deleted for data protection purposes. We have some screenshots though.[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]
    attachment.php?attachmentid=452116&stc=1&d=1527766300

Today (May 30th) I got another notification for a bill for the same amount. On querying this again the rep said that they would proceed with the direct debit on June 4th and credit us back afterwards.

attachment.php?attachmentid=452117&stc=1&d=1527766300
    attachment.php?attachmentid=452118&stc=1&d=1527766300

This is unacceptable as this is a completely unauthorised charge, generated due to an error on eir's part, which I cannot be expected to pay and then wait a month for a refund (something very similar happened when I originally opened the account, a month was the minimum time to process a refund), especially since we do not actually owe eir any money. In any case the direct debit will fail, as previously warned.

When we were previously debited €150 for free equipment, having been assured by support that this would not happen, and we instructed our bank to return the debit, we were charged €15 for a failed direct debit. When we complained we were told that they would waive the charge, as if they were doing us a favour.

I will refuse to accept any further charges due to a failed direct debit, as this is due to an failure on eir's part.

I appreciate that these issues have nothing to do with the reps and more to do with failures in the CRM system. I am not currently authorised by eir to make account instructions on behalf of my partner (although I previously was with eircom and this changed without warning), this post is just for informative purposes. Please let me know who I should send the account details to so you can note that the unauthorised direct debit will fail.

Kind regards.[/font]
    Hi there TheChizler

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention here. I'm so sorry to hear about this. If you are the account holder, please send me on all the account information (account number, account name and confirming that you are the account holder). If not, I would suggest that the account holder get in touch via PM with all information and I will be more than happy to look into this and get this sorted.

-Kyle

-Kyle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

eir: Kyle wrote: »
    Hi there TheChizler

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention here. I'm so sorry to hear about this. If you are the account holder, please send me on all the account information (account number, account name and confirming that you are the account holder). If not, I would suggest that the account holder get in touch via PM with all information and I will be more than happy to look into this and get this sorted.

-Kyle

-Kyle
    Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the quick response. She actually got a response from the "disabled" email support late today so that might the easier path for verifying identity. I'll get back to you if there's no joy there. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭eir: Kyle

TheChizler wrote: »
    eir: Kyle wrote: »
    Hi there TheChizler

-Kyle

-Kyle
    Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the quick response. She actually got a response from the "disabled" email support late today so that might the easier path for verifying identity. I'll get back to you if there's no joy there. Thanks again.
    More than welcome. Yes, please get back if you're still having issues.

-Kyle

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Totnan

Dear Eir Representative,

To start on a positive note, despite others difficulties on these forums, up to recently I have been a reasonably satisfied, trouble-free customer since switching from Virgin Media this time last year. That was until Thursday -

On Thursday, November 1st, Eir direct debited my monthly broadband and tv bill for €67.98. Also that morning my current account was debited by €1,842.93 and €362.54. Neither of these payments for €2,205.47 are related to my eir account.

I called Customer Care first thing on Thursday morning when I realised the mistake. I requested a call back due to the very large sum, but this did not occur. I did receive an email that afternoon requesting more information from an individual who I believe may be a Credit Controller. The individual  responded on Friday casually and unapologetically that she has forwarded on my email, that I would need to request a refund from my bank and that I could contact the Gardaí to contact an investigation if I wanted.

This is not an acceptable way for any organisation to treat a counter party - having entrusted my bank account details, Eir has unlawfully taken and is holding €2,205.47 of my money.  Whatever has happened, a paying customer deserves better - a phone call, an apology or even an explanation...

I called on Thursday morning with reasonable expectations of eir resolving this major issue. Unfortunately, I have been left in a state of greater distress. Perhaps you could assist in explaining what has happened to avoid the need for a third party police investigation or together we can identify the issue to avoid such a serious error occurring again. 

Just to note that I highly doubt this is a case of fraud as i) I am fastidious with my personal data and shred all personal ID and bank details, ii) it is unlikely an individual fraudster could accumulate a bill for either €1,842.93, this is a multiple of the most expensive phone on sale by eir (which I understand would never by charged in one go by DD by eir anyway) and it would also be a challenge for any single individual to accumulate such roaming charges. Same goes for the €362.54 amount. . It would seem more likely that I have been inadvertently charged for a business account.

I await you response in hopeful anticipation. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Totnan wrote: »
    Dear Eir Representative,

To start on a positive note, despite others difficulties on these forums, up to recently I have been a reasonably satisfied, trouble-free customer since switching from Virgin Media this time last year. That was until Thursday -

On Thursday, November 1st, Eir direct debited my monthly broadband and tv bill for €67.98. Also that morning my current account was debited by €1,842.93 and €362.54. Neither of these payments for €2,205.47 are related to my eir account.

I called Customer Care first thing on Thursday morning when I realised the mistake. I requested a call back due to the very large sum, but this did not occur. I did receive an email that afternoon requesting more information from an individual who I believe may be a Credit Controller. The individual  responded on Friday casually and unapologetically that she has forwarded on my email, that I would need to request a refund from my bank and that I could contact the Gardaí to contact an investigation if I wanted.

This is not an acceptable way for any organisation to treat a counter party - having entrusted my bank account details, Eir has unlawfully taken and is holding €2,205.47 of my money.  Whatever has happened, a paying customer deserves better - a phone call, an apology or even an explanation...

I called on Thursday morning with reasonable expectations of eir resolving this major issue. Unfortunately, I have been left in a state of greater distress. Perhaps you could assist in explaining what has happened to avoid the need for a third party police investigation or together we can identify the issue to avoid such a serious error occurring again. 

Just to note that I highly doubt this is a case of fraud as i) I am fastidious with my personal data and shred all personal ID and bank details, ii) it is unlikely an individual fraudster could accumulate a bill for either €1,842.93, this is a multiple of the most expensive phone on sale by eir (which I understand would never by charged in one go by DD by eir anyway) and it would also be a challenge for any single individual to accumulate such roaming charges. Same goes for the €362.54 amount. . It would seem more likely that I have been inadvertently charged for a business account.

Hi Totnan, 

I'm very sorry to about the ongoing issues you are having with ourselves, I understand this is frustrating and an urgent matter. 

If you PM me your account number, full name on the account, email address and date of birth I'll have a look into this for you. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Advertisement

Dear Tracey,

Thank you. I will respond with a PM on my account details. 

Note that I received a response from your Customer Care Administration  team at 12:37 today again advising me to sort out the issue myself with my Bank and the Gardai. I am not satisfied with that response. 

Unless this issue is resolved today, I need them to send me a Complaint Unique Reference Number to send to ComReg.

Regards,

Dear Eir Representative,

Hi Totnan, 

I'm very sorry to about the ongoing issues you are having with ourselves, I understand this is frustrating and an urgent matter. 

If you PM me your account number, full name on the account, email address and date of birth I'll have a look into this for you. 

Thanks 

Tracey 
    Tracey,

I confirm receipt of your message at 10:56 am this morning (evidently this is not too urgent a matter if it takes 21 hours to get around to action).

I await your update is less hopeful anticipation

Dear Eir Representative,

Hi Totnan, 

Thanks 

Tracey 
    Tracey,

I confirm receipt of your message at 10:56 am this morning (evidently this is not too urgent a matter if it takes 21 hours to get around to action).

Hi Totnan, 

The timeframe for a response here on Boards is 24 hours. I have responded to your PM there now. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Dear Eir Representative,

Hi Totnan, 

Thanks 

Tracey 
    Tracey,

Hi Totnan, 

The timeframe for a response here on Boards is 24 hours. I have responded to your PM there now. 

Thanks 

Tracey 
    Dear Tracey,

I acknowledge receipt of you Private Message.

I do not accept that I have fallen for a Phising or other scam, as I mentioned I am very careful with my personal data. I have notified the Eir Data Protection Officer of what has occurred.

I understand that Eir has not notified the Police. I would suggest for the security of other customers accounts that this is done by yourselves.

Dear Eir Representative,

Hi Totnan, 

Thanks 

Tracey 
    Tracey,

Hi Totnan, 

Thanks 

Tracey 
    Dear Tracey,

I acknowledge receipt of you Private Message.

I do not accept that I have fallen for a Phising or other scam, as I mentioned I am very careful with my personal data. I have notified the Eir Data Protection Officer of what has occurred.

I understand that Eir has not notified the Police. I would suggest for the security of other customers accounts that this is done by yourselves.
    That's no problem, I completely understand. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Advertisement
Advertisement