Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike computer suggestions

Options
  • 31-05-2018 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a bike computer, one that you strap to the handlebars. I'm thinking of one that will show my current/average speed, distance and time on the screen at the same time. Also if possible I'd like one where I can upload the sessions easily to Strava without having to jump through loads of hoops etc.

It doesn't really need to have much more bells and whistles than that.

I suppose for budget I'd be looking at spending less than 200 euro.

Any suggestions? I was looking at Garmin ones but not sure if they only upload to Garmin Connect or what.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

All Garmins should upload to Strava, automatically if you have Bluetooth enabled device or you can do it manually if not.

Lezyne and Wahoo also have devices in this range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Look at Bryton 310 ... thinking if getting one myself, seems to have everything you’d need plus more for considerably less than garmin

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭comanche_cor

Picked up a bryton rider 530 for about 100e (on sale a while ago) - no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Elemnt Bolt gets a lot of good press. I like mine. Might be over budget, tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭seaviewphotos

I got this one recently and I'm very happy with it. It's really small but does everything you mentioned and the display is very good. The current price in halfords isn't too bad either.

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/cycling-technology/cycling-computers-gps/garmin-edge-25-gps-cycling-computer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm loathe to spend much money on a bike computer after getting a garmin edge 25 in lidl for €45 last autumn. does not give average speed (with the blindingly obvious caveat that i've not RTFM), but gives me current speed and distance travelled, on the setting i have on it, and uploads to strava easily once you have a smartphone with the garmin connect app.

Wouldn't strava itself show most of what the OP needs ? So really a charged phone with display set to always on and a 10 quid mount.

EDIT: Actually their could be better suited apps for this that might talk to strava too? Current speed would be the problem though I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wouldn't strava itself show most of what the OP needs ? So really a charged phone with display set to always on and a 10 quid mount.

EDIT: Actually their could be better suited apps for this that might talk to strava too? Current speed would be the problem though I imagine.

No elevation until after the ride would be a big con.

ED E wrote: »
    No elevation until after the ride would be a big con.

Yeah just thought of that, and I don't think you get % gradient on strava unless there is a segment for it even after the ride. Thats actually something I meant to do myself and create segments for hills I encounter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

My phone isn't reliable when it comes to Strava. There's been several times where it says it has a GPS lock then I get to my destination and it says I've done less than half a km when I've done much more. I've an iPhone and had the same issue with mapmyride. It's currently working again since I reset the network settings and the location and privacy settings but I am expecting it will start acting up again sooner or later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 n1ey

veganrun wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting a bike computer, one that you strap to the handlebars. I'm thinking of one that will show my current/average speed, distance and time on the screen at the same time. Also if possible I'd like one where I can upload the sessions easily to Strava without having to jump through loads of hoops etc.

It doesn't really need to have much more bells and whistles than that.

I suppose for budget I'd be looking at spending less than 200 euro.

Any suggestions? I was looking at Garmin ones but not sure if they only upload to Garmin Connect or what.

Garmins only upload to Garmin Connect. Garmin Connect then sync's with TrainingPeaks, Todays Plan, Strava, etc.

However, the other systems complete the same thing with their platforms. You only lose the find the friend, if you don't go Garmin. Plus, you need to spend the serious money for a top-end Garmin unit, and your friend must as well.

Units like the Garmin Edge 25 don't have a barometer and will not read elevation accurately. It is a guess that is shown after the ride.

Due to the low battery life as found in the Garmin units and the constant set of problems, I can not recommend them. When viewed at the pricepoints, then you see them as expensive relative to the competition. Wahoo is reliable and less money. The mapping function is arguably better. The controls are better. The last Garmin 1000 had very poor usability in the cold and the wet. Garmin is not setting the lead in the industry but everyone seems to pay top dollar to them. Garmin is not an innovator. It is like Ford. They sold FWD cars for so many years that would turn sharply left if you let go of the steering wheel. Stay away from them.

Everyone in my club is buying Wahoo, Lezyne, or Bryton.

Bill O'Hara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Phone is acting up again and not recording properly. Time to get one of these.

Wahoo Elemnt bolt seems to be getting good reviews but is pricy. Seems to be about £250 sterling which is more than I want to spend. I have some Amazon vouchers which will help pay for one of these.

I use the Lezyne Super GPS and I find it really good.

The Macro version doesn't have navigate, but to be honest, I never use that facility anyway. for €160 you get a speed and cadence sensor and a heart rate monitor. The battery life is impressive as well. i have used it for around five hours since its last charge and it is still showing 72%.

It is ridiculously easy to use and syncs with strava as soon as you end the ride.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lezyne-macro-gps-hrsc-loaded/rp-prod154480

• Registered Users Posts: 26 soghluaiste

Anyone got any thoughts / experience of the Polar brand? They seem to have big, clear displays...

Anyone got any thoughts / experience of the Polar brand? They seem to have big, clear displays...

Last time I looked at them they weren’t Ant+ compatible, maybe they are now but worth checking as it could limit sensor pairing capability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I still like my Edge 500. Yes it's old and doesn't have a colour display and maps etc but it does exactly what I need from a cycling computer. You should be able to pick one up fairly cheap, even cheaper used.

T-Maxx wrote: »
    I still like my Edge 500. Yes it's old and doesn't have a colour display and maps etc but it does exactly what I need from a cycling computer. You should be able to pick one up fairly cheap, even cheaper used.

I’ve just upgraded to a 500, from a perfectly functioning 305.
    The only thing the 500 does that the 305 didn’t have is power meter reading.
    In fact there’s a few functions on the 305 that the 500 doesn’t have.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bmcgill

I have a polar M460 for the last year or so and find it very good. Its been rock solid so far at least. Battery life is superb and as you say has a nice clear display which you can customise easily enough. I find the Bluetooth sync very handy for uploading to strava. It does have stuff like strava live segments and call/text notification options which I’ve not gone about trying but nice to have the option.

Advertisement