Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different Competition Formats

Options
  • 31-05-2018 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Ok so I have recently joined a club and find myself having to check on what format/rules are used in different comps as they come up.

So far I have play scramble, medal comp, stableford of course and that's it.

I know what matchplay is but Open Team, Captains qualifier, and Club Classic are all on schedule for coming months and I have no idea what these are.

To save me bothering the club pro every week does anyone have a list of whats generally played year-round in Irish Clubs?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

pakman wrote: »
    Ok so I have recently joined a club and find myself having to check on what format/rules are used in different comps as they come up.

So far I have play scramble, medal comp, stableford of course and that's it.

I know what matchplay is but Open Team, Captains qualifier, and Club Classic are all on schedule for coming months and I have no idea what these are.

To save me bothering the club pro every week does anyone have a list of whats generally played year-round in Irish Clubs?

Cheers

• normal and most popular will be stableford
    • then medal
    • matchplay is rare enough
    • fourball (betterball) 4 guys play, but 2 partner up. you will play off 90% of your handicap. the best score between yourself and partner goes on the card
    • foresomes (straight) you and your partner will play alternate shots and tee from alternate holes. eg, you tee off the first, he plays next shot, you play next..etc till the ball is holed. it doesn't matter who holes out, if you tee on the first, partner will tee on the second
    • foresomes (scotch) just like straight foreomes except both of you tee off on each hole and you get to choose which ball you play the hole out and then alternate shots
    • Im not sure on handicaps for foresomes, but i think its something like half the combined.
    • regular team event... all play own ball, full handicaps, best 2 scores on each hole... some alternate varsions may have all scores to count onthe last, or 9 & 18, or 3 scores on par 3's. sometimes ive seen 1 score on holes 1-6, 2 scores on 7-12 & 3 scores on 13-18. loads of variations really, you will be told on the day.
    • scramble (generally 4 man team), you have played already, but all tee off, all play from best position, all play from next best position.. etc till holed out. you will most likely need -10 or better to have any chance of winning. handicaps will be 10% of the combined.
    • champaign scramble, a mix of scramble and team. all tee off, pick best drive, all finish out your own ball from that position with 2 scores to count on each hole.

your captais qualifier will either be stableford or medal.
    cub classic likely to be some sort of team event

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

Our club is typically some form of team event on the Saturday. Sunday would be either the Medal or Stableford.
    V-par (matchplay against the course) has been played in the past. 
    Club Classic's usually team events - Best 2 scores to count.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

When did strokes become medal play? Had to google it to find out what that was :o

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

Seve OB wrote: »
    • normal and most popular will be stableford
    • then medal
    • matchplay is rare enough
    • fourball (betterball) 4 guys play, but 2 partner up. you will play off 90% of your handicap. the best score between yourself and partner goes on the card
    • foresomes (straight) you and your partner will play alternate shots and tee from alternate holes. eg, you tee off the first, he plays next shot, you play next..etc till the ball is holed. it doesn't matter who holes out, if you tee on the first, partner will tee on the second
    • foresomes (scotch) just like straight foreomes except both of you tee off on each hole and you get to choose which ball you play the hole out and then alternate shots
    • Im not sure on handicaps for foresomes, but i think its something like half the combined.
    • regular team event... all play own ball, full handicaps, best 2 scores on each hole... some alternate varsions may have all scores to count onthe last, or 9 & 18, or 3 scores on par 3's. sometimes ive seen 1 score on holes 1-6, 2 scores on 7-12 & 3 scores on 13-18. loads of variations really, you will be told on the day.
    • scramble (generally 4 man team), you have played already, but all tee off, all play from best position, all play from next best position.. etc till holed out. you will most likely need -10 or better to have any chance of winning. handicaps will be 10% of the combined.
    • champaign scramble, a mix of scramble and team. all tee off, pick best drive, all finish out your own ball from that position with 2 scores to count on each hole.

Lovely. I'll try and remember all that thanks.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    When did strokes become medal play? Had to google it to find out what that was :o

forever

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

Seve OB wrote: »
    your captais qualifier will either be stableford or medal.
    cub classic likely to be some sort of team event
    Our club is typically some form of team event on the Saturday. Sunday would be either the Medal or Stableford.
    V-par (matchplay against the course) has been played in the past.
    Club Classic's usually team events - Best 2 scores to count.

Great thanks. I am dying for another team event after playing the scramble. Takes a load of pressure of the shot and tend to play much better.

pakman wrote: »
    Lovely. I'll try and remember all that thanks.

yea i obviously missed out on v-par as mentioned above. it is basically matchplay against the par of the course. can be fourball/foresomes or singles

im sure i've probably missed others, but the majority boxed off there

Played an individual comp earlier in the year in Corrstown that was a mixture: First 9 was strokes (half handicap) and second 9 stableford (also half h/c). Format was "Strokes minus Points", lower the score = better.

So if you played the front 9 in 44 strokes off a h/c of 14, your starting total was 37. Then if you had a decent back 9 and scored twenty points, your finishing score would be 17.

Was the first time I'd ever heard of it and was dying to see what would have won it but it was during the awful period of weather; we were out early enough and had to abandon the round after 6 holes.

Advertisement