Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking on a tenant in my own home.

Options
  • 31-05-2018 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Hey All.

I am thinking if taking in a tenant for some extra income and I was looking to see what appropriate questions I could ask as a screening process before letting them come to view.

Compatibility with my coming and going times would be important along with cleanliness. Would it be appropriate to ask what their work times are?

Can you kick someone out if they are leaving a mess?

Also can you have a rule where they have no guests?

It’s my first time doing this so don’t want to end up in a situation where I am not happy in my own home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The first thing to learn is that under the rent a room scheme, the person you're renting to will be a licensee rather than a tenant. It's an important legal distinction and one that gives you many more rights than under a tenant/landlord arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

mada82 wrote: »
    Hey All.

I am thinking if taking in a tenant for some extra income and I was looking to see what appropriate questions I could ask as a screening process before letting them come to view.

Compatibility with my coming and going times would be important along with cleanliness. Would it be appropriate to ask what their work times are?

It’s my first time doing this so don’t want to end up in a situation where I am not happy in my own home.

Pretty positive you can have all of those rules - also pretty positive that no one in their right mind would rent under those conditions. No guests!? No guests staying over - fine, but no guests is more than unreasonable.

Constructively - i would look for references from previous landlords. Potentially proof of capacity to pay - although i would imagine if it is just a room in a house this wouldn't be necessary. Reference from work. And then just see if you like them as a person. As they would be a licencee pretty sure you can kick them out for sneezing in a way you dont like!

It all depends on if you want a licencee to be comfortable and happy in sharing your home. Their comings and goings dont have to match yours - of course you want to minimise noise at night (or morning) etc but perhaps be a bit more open. Just because you may be a clean and tidy person (others may not be) but once the common areas are kept presentable and their room not is not in my opinion a reason to boot them.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Pretty positive you can have all of those rules - also pretty positive that no one in their right mind would rent under those conditions. No guests!? No guests staying over - fine, but no guests is more than unreasonable.

Constructively - i would look for references from previous landlords. Potentially proof of capacity to pay - although i would imagine if it is just a room in a house this wouldn't be necessary. Reference from work. And then just see if you like them as a person. As they would be a licencee pretty sure you can kick them out for sneezing in a way you dont like!

It all depends on if you want a licencee to be comfortable and happy in sharing your home. Their comings and goings dont have to match yours - of course you want to minimise noise at night (or morning) etc but perhaps be a bit more open. Just because you may be a clean and tidy person (others may not be) but once the common areas are kept presentable and their room not is not in my opinion a reason to boot them.

Like I say I haven’t a clue of what sort of house rules there should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Hey All.

Go with your gut here - we're tuned to know when we like someone and when we don't. Use that.

Completely appropriate and as important to the licensee as to yourself.

Absolutely

You can but I personally think it's patently unfair unless you have none.

You have to consider whether sharing your space is right for you. Personally I've had some excellent experiences but we (the wife and I) are very easy going, we have an annex to the house which is quite private for the tenant, although we share the kitchen and main bathroom) and we're messy as feck. Plus the tenant has Sky etc. in their room so we have a rule that we pick what's on in the livingroom. We've yet to have a housemate join us in three years.

We have friends who hated sharing with their tenants and it was unpleasant to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

At the moment, in most areas, you can pick and choose who you want. If you are too restrictive, you will find your lodgers moving out pretty rapidly. There are many kinds of potential lodgers. Some are married with family elsewhere and go to their homes as much as possible. They often appreciate the lower than average rent and usually do not have an active social life in the area around which they work. A good tactic is to offer a price which is lower than the going rate and then get your choice of tenant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

So regarding guests. What would be an acceptable compromise? My worry would be you effectively end up with 2 lodgers but only getting paid for 1 if they had a partner who was staying over or around a lot.

Another thing I’d be worried about is if they were bringing people back on one night stands i wouldn’t know who is in the house or how they would respect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

So regarding guests. What would be an acceptable compromise? My worry would be you effectively end up with 2 lodgers but only getting paid for 1 if they had a partner who was staying over or around a lot.

Another thing I’d be worried about is if they were bringing people back on one night stands i wouldn’t know who is in the house or how they would respect it.
    A reasonable compromise is "no overnight guests". This is your home; other people don't get to invite third parties to come and sleep there. People who want accommodation to which they can invite guests to come and stay need to buy or rent their own place.

If you have a licensee who has a partner and you've met the partner a few times, you might be comfortable to relax the rule a bit in favour of the partner. But that's down the road; the opening position should be "no overnight guests".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Peregrinus wrote: »
    A reasonable compromise is "no overnight guests". This is your home; other people don't get to invite third parties to come and sleep there. People who want accommodation to which they can invite guests to come and stay need to buy or rent their own place.

If you have a licensee who has a partner and you've met the partner a few times, you might be comfortable to relax the rule a bit in favour of the partner. But that's down the road; the opening position should be "no overnight guests".

If you start off strict you can always ease up later when some trust has been built up. MUCH harder to clamp down later after a lax start.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Pamela Landy

Sorry if inappropriate but I was going to start up a very similar topic but not sure if need 2 running side by side. If okay with OP can I ask what exactly is needed to provide to the licencee, I am concerned mostly about dining arrangements. I don’t really want a house share, just to let a room and keep as much of my privacy as possible. I’m sure they’ll feel the same and not want to sit and listen to me.

I was going to put a small fridge in the room but I don’t mind allowing free reign in the kitchen with use of the washing machine and tumble dryer.

I was reading an old topic and someone says NOT to rent to a student... Are they really that bad? I’m near a college and was thinking they’d be ideal as my first tenants in my new venture.

I’d be grateful if someone could list what is expected of me as I’m also totally new to all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Sorry if inappropriate but I was going to start up a very similar topic but not sure if need 2 running side by side. If okay with OP can I ask what exactly is needed to provide to the licencee, I am concerned mostly about dining arrangements. I don’t really want a house share, just to let a room and keep as much of my privacy as possible. I’m sure they’ll feel the same and not want to sit and listen to me.

I was going to put a small fridge in the room but I don’t mind allowing free reign in the kitchen with use of the washing machine and tumble dryer.

I was reading an old topic and someone says NOT to rent to a student... Are they really that bad? I’m near a college and was thinking they’d be ideal as my first tenants in my new venture.

I’d be grateful if someone could list what is expected of me as I’m also totally new to all this.

Our tenant stays in her room save for using the main bathroom and Kitchen.
    Kitchen is shared space, they can entertain etc. in there although never have. Livingroom, they're welcome but we get to pick what's on, if anything. Now we can do that as we have Sky etc. in her room. In three years at this we've had the lodger come in and share a glass of wine with us once or twice but that's been it. Frankly I wouldn't know if she's here or not most of the time.

Her storage is in the utility room although we share the fridge and freezer. Not sure a fridge in the room is a good idea given the hum.

Our room is quite cold as it's an annex to the house, so they have there own standalone radiator.

Desk if it's a student. On students, wouldn't personally rent to a first year, especially a girl but second years onwards should be fine. First years can be very immature/get home sick/need picking up pissed in the middle of the night because they've lost their wallet etc.

Just my tuppence. Happy to answer any specific questions.

Don't forget the income is tax free but needs to be declared.

PS agree with the above, start harsher on the rules and relax them as you go. Two pieces of advice; they need to live so guests and the kitchen try and be as accommodating as possible. Second DON'T treat the income as day-today. Put it aside. When ever I'm getting a bit sick of having a lodger I remember we've a 181 car on the drive and take nice holidays pretty much on their dime so do something specific with the money, it helps ease the pain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭mike_2009

By the way inform your house insurance that you have a lodger, especially if it's a student. You might find your underwriter won't allow students and you've to change insurance company. You want to ensure in the rare event someone has an accident on your property that you disclosed "material facts" to the insurer beforehand such as licensees/students living under your roof so you don't risk voiding your cover.

You will be better off putting in another fridge in the kitchen if you are going to have two fridges. Regarding students, final year or postgraduate there invariably easier to get on with. They have got over the novelty of being away from home, and are serious about getting their qualification. They will tend to sit in their own and study than they are in the house. They don't tend to bring home slabs of beer or be accompanied by gangs of friends. Another advantage of students generally is that they move after a relatively short period. This means that resentment does not build up.

How would one deal with the legal side of things? I presume the licensee wants some reassurance. I have seen some things online but they seem to refer to letting out a house and not just a room.

Anyone know where I’d find some kind of template for a room rental agreement?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Absolutely have house rules and chore sharing agreement. A chore chart would be really useful. I have had people rent a room in my home before who were absolute pigs and I made the mistake of not agreeing cleaning. It was the most disheartening experience the way they treated my home. If you can't agree cleaning then split the cost of a professional cleaner.

How would one deal with the legal side of things? I presume the licensee wants some reassurance. I have seen some things online but they seem to refer to letting out a house and not just a room.

Anyone know where I’d find some kind of template for a room rental agreement?

Thanks.

The legal position is simple. The tenant has the same legal standing as a guest in a hotel. You make the rules. You can put the tenant out at any time. It is probably wise to write out the main conditions. How much the rent is and when and how it is to be paid. The fact that the agreement is personal and cannot be transferred or assigned to anyone else. No overnight guests are allowed. How utilities are to be paid for. What happens with TV licence, refuse charges and other similar charges. What is expected in terms of cleaning. Whether or not there is access to communal storage, particularly where bicycles may be kept. Parking may also need to be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

mada82 wrote:

This could be tricky. Unwashed dishes? Socks on the floor? Crumbs on the table? One person might argue that's not a mess. What's a mess to you?

bobbyss wrote: »
    This could be tricky. Unwashed dishes? Socks on the floor? Crumbs on the table? One person might argue that's not a mess. What's a mess to you?
    That would annoy me and my thinking is "leave it as you found it." So if you use a dish/plate at least clean it off and leave it in the dish drainer. Socks on the floor? Are you expecting your mammy around to pick them up? Crumbs/spills then unless mammy is coming around then clean it up.

bobbyss wrote: »

Nothing tricky, meet the owners standards or get out. A Licensee has no standing to argue anything. Most licensees will get out, very rapidly, of their own accord, if they find the owner is too demanding. An owner who is too demanding has a choice of either relaxing their standards or giving up taking licensees.

Advertisement