Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boys Primary School in Limerick

Options
  • 31-05-2018 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi all,

I am moving to Limerick in September 2018. I have 10years and 6 years old kids. I am looking for Primary school for Boys in Limerick.

Could anyone would like to share his experience and suggest me any good school in Limerick?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Hi, have you decided what part of Limerick you will move to? Or are you flexible about that?

Also, are you looking for a primary school that only has boys in the school, and no girls?

Or are you looking for a school that takes boys and also girls?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 samy66

osarusan wrote: »
    Hi, have you decided what part of Limerick you will move to? Or are you flexible about that?

Also, are you looking for a primary school that only has boys in the school, and no girls?

Or are you looking for a school that takes boys and also girls?

Thanks for reply. I am flexible to move anywhere in Limerick although I'm working in Raheen but if good school would be at 15 to 20 mins drive then I will stay near school.
    Could you please suggest any good boys only and girls only school.
    Or if you would like to share any mix good school then please share with me
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

samy66 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply. I am flexible to move anywhere in Limerick although I'm working in Raheen but if good school would be at 15 to 20 mins drive then I will stay near school.
    Could you please suggest any good boys only and girls only school.
    Or if you would like to share any mix good school then please share with me
    Thanks

There's a boys only and girls only primary school in Adare, both of which have good reputations and Adare would only be a 10-15 minute commute from Raheen

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Incredibly, I came on to ask a very similar question. OP, I hope you don't mind me posting - mods I can create a separate thread?

We have a 4-month old that we wish to register for school place in the City. As OP said, what are best primary schools, especially if they are feeders for the better secondary schools?

Also, which Limerick county schools are best?

Jane98 wrote: »
    There's a boys only and girls only primary school in Adare, both of which have good reputations and Adare would only be a 10-15 minute commute from Raheen

Thanks Jane98 for sharing information. Just now I called to Ourlady school asking for admission.
    THis one is my 14th school I called or visited in last month and still I could not get admission for my kids.

• Advertisement

Thanks Jane98 for sharing information. Just now I called to Ourlady school asking for admission.
    THis one is my 14th school I called or visited in last month and still I could not get admission for my kids.

Sorry to hear that, maybe put your children's names down in the school and hope someone decides to move over the summer.

Or you may have to look a bit further outside the city to get something now but the county schools are more likely to be co-ed (girls and boys). Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Maybe try Scoil an Spioraid Naoimh. Its in Ballyclough/Ballysheedy which is just outside Limerick and close to raheen/dooradoyle. Knockea national school is in Ballyneety might also be worth a shot. These are all only 5-10mins from Limerick. But you also need to tell them you are already or will be living in that area / community. You may have a tell a few white lies. preference is usually given to kids in the area.

some other good schools but you may have called them already: Nessans, St Pauls, The Model, JFK, Salesians. Milford, monaleen.

i worked with a guy who just moved to limerick. he got a house in dooradoyle and worked in raheen. he found it quite frustrating as well as everywhere said they didnt have any place available. he eventually did get his child accepted into St Pauls. But this was after numerous visits to the school and speaking to them in person. Its difficult when you are not yet living here i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭dave62

St Paul's is a great school and should feed into local secondary schools. The Dooradoyle site is currently having major renovations to be completed for Sept2019 should be high spec when complted. They are temporarily located close to city.

damowill wrote: »
    Maybe try Scoil an Spioraid Naoimh. Its in Ballyclough/Ballysheedy which is just outside Limerick and close to raheen/dooradoyle. Knockea national school is in Ballyneety might also be worth a shot. These are all only 5-10mins from Limerick. But you also need to tell them you are already or will be living in that area / community. You may have a tell a few white lies. preference is usually given to kids in the area.

some other good schools but you may have called them already: Nessans, St Pauls, The Model, JFK, Salesians. Milford, monaleen.

i worked with a guy who just moved to limerick. he got a house in dooradoyle and worked in raheen. he found it quite frustrating as well as everywhere said they didnt have any place available. he eventually did get his child accepted into St Pauls. But this was after numerous visits to the school and speaking to them in person. Its difficult when you are not yet living here i guess.
    Thanks for reply. I already went through from Roxbrough to lisnagry but all school refused to give admission for Sept 2018 session. Please check the list and let me know if I missed any school.

1 St nessan’s School
    2 Limerick Educate Together
    3 Scoil an Spioraid Naoimh
    4 St Paul National School
    5 St Joseph National School
    6 St Patrick Boys National School
    7 Salesian Primary School
    8 St Johns Girls & Infant Boys School
    9 Lisnagry National School
    10 Monaleen National School
    11 Milford National School
    12 Scoil Ide
    13 Crecora National School

dave62 wrote: »
    St Paul's is a great school and should feed into local secondary schools. The Dooradoyle site is currently having major renovations to be completed for Sept2019 should be high spec when complted. They are temporarily located close to city.

Yes Dave62, my preference was St nessans or St paul but in St nessans they even didn't bother to give me application form. Then I went to Education together to secure admission but more or less same reply from them.

Then I moved to other side of county and covered Monaleen to Milford. but the situation is quite worst

• Advertisement

Last afternoon, I received call from Ourlady school Adare Limerick?

Does anyone have any idea about the school or location/ enviroment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Our lady's Abbey in Adare is a girls school. The schools in Limerick are very full right now. Classes are full. All Schools enrollment policies will cater for children who live in the area. You don't currently live in any area in Limerick. You don't have proof of an address in any schools catchment area. You will have to provide a utility bill with your name and address on it . If there are places in adare that's great. It's a lovely area. But you have to drive there. Will somebody be able to drive the children to and from school?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 LittleWhiteDog

If you contact the EWO (Education Welfare Office) for your region they may be able to help you find a school with space for your children. You can also appeal a school's decision not to enrol your child under Section 29 but you will need to be living in the catchment area as far as I know. Here's a link from the Tusla website. You can click the link at the bottom to bring you to the list of EWOs.
    http://www.tusla.ie/services/educational-welfare-services/information-for-parents-and-guardians/school-attendance-what-every-parent-needs-to-know/

Here's a list of primary schools in :

Limerick City: https://www.schooldays.ie/primary-schools-in-ireland/primary-Limerick-City

County Limerick: https://www.schooldays.ie/primary-schools-in-ireland/primary-Limerick-County

Places like Patrickwell, Adare, Crecora, Clarina, Kildimo in the County would all be within a 20min commute of Raheen.

You may not be having much success at the moment as many schools may not yet know if any students are not returning next year. My own children's school only late last week asked parents to contact the school if their children would not be returning in September. Even with this some parents will not give up a place until September, so bear this in mind. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

and Adare would only be a 10-15 minute commute from Raheen

Do you fly the helicopter yourself or do you hire a pilot?

My wife teaches in an inner city school. There would be room, but it's not conducive to the best education.

My wife teaches in an inner city school. There would be room, but it's not conducive to the best education.

I have no idea what exactly you are trying to add to the discussion with this post!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

You should definitely try Knockea NS. It's not too far from Raheen and is a mixed school. My daughter is attending there and she is enjoying her time in the school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I have no idea what exactly you are trying to add to the discussion with this post!
    testicles wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Am I the only one to experience the traffic around Adare?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Ballybrown national school and Patrickswell school are 10/15 minute drive from Raheen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

Caherdavin have a boys school and a girls school side by side.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 colombes

Ballybrown in Clarina is very good school and not far at all from Raheen industrial estate. I live in Raheen/Dooradoyle area and managed to get my kids over there (avoided Nessans) smaller school but with good rules and nice sense of community.

Osk wrote: »
    Caherdavin have a boys school and a girls school side by side.

Do you have any idea about this school. I mean to ask do you know anyone kids are going to this school. I am trying to get appointment because my first preference is to get admission of my kids in seperate schools.

colombes wrote: »
    Ballybrown in Clarina is very good school and not far at all from Raheen industrial estate. I live in Raheen/Dooradoyle area and managed to get my kids over there (avoided Nessans) smaller school but with good rules and nice sense of community.

I went to Ballybrown school but due to limited teaching staff one teacher teaching two classes at the same time. I think it would be diffcult for kids to track if they are not native english speakers. What do you think?

could you please share the name of school, then I will take appointment and submit the application forms if they have some room for new kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Kids shouldn't be driven to primary school if at all possible. Go with the one nearest where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

colombes wrote: »

Is there a reason you avoided Nessans? Live in the Raheen area myself and have a toddler who is a few years yet of going to school. I'm a blow in to the area so not overly familiar with the schools around.

Is there a reason you avoided Nessans? Live in the Raheen area myself and have a toddler who is a few years yet of going to school. I'm a blow in to the area so not overly familiar with the schools around.

I visited twice and they refused to give admission in St Nessans, Education togehter and St PAul.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

I visited twice and they refused to give admission in St Nessans, Education togehter and St PAul.

Ah, sorry I missed your earlier post. Its a case of them all being massive oversubscribed then :(

• Advertisement

zulutango wrote: »
    Kids shouldn't be driven to primary school if at all possible. Go with the one nearest where you live.

THanks for your reply. Just to inform you that I am coming from Cork and applying to different schools from Castletory to Ballybrown. depending upon the admission I would rent the house near the school. Thsi was the reason I am waiting for admission in school.

Advertisement