Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boys Primary School in Limerick

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

zulutango wrote: »
    Kids shouldn't be driven to primary school if at all possible. Go with the one nearest where you live.

In an ideal world maybe, but as a child myself I lived almost 3 miles from the school I went to and it WAS the nearest school to me.
    Realistically a 4 year old isn't going to be able to walk that and it's definitely not practical in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 60minutes

Donoughmore N.S. is in the countryside but just outside the city, they have individual classes, it would be worth getting in touch with them I’d say. They also do a lot of science, engineering and art projects with Mary Immaculate College.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

samy66 wrote: »
    Do you have any idea about this school. I mean to ask do you know anyone kids are going to this school. I am trying to get appointment because my first preference is to get admission of my kids in seperate schools.
    Yes, both my children attended - very happy with both schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Osk wrote: »
    Caherdavin have a boys school and a girls school side by side.

Would it be difficult to find a house to rent though due to the college nearby, LIT?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 samy66

Osk wrote: »
    Yes, both my children attended - very happy with both schools.

Thanks for reply. I already asked for appointment from school. hope they would consider my kids for coming session.

• Advertisement

60minutes wrote: »
    Donoughmore N.S. is in the countryside but just outside the city, they have individual classes, it would be worth getting in touch with them I’d say. They also do a lot of science, engineering and art projects with Mary Immaculate College.

Thanks for sharing school details. I will vist this school but I could not find any house to rent in donoughmore. could you suggest the nearest suitable area for renting house

• Registered Users Posts: 2 60minutes

Ros Mor estate on the Old Cork Road might have houses to rent, this would be close to Donoughmore NS. Alternatively, it’s quite close to the Golf Links Rd., Castletroy (5-7 minute drive) and also less than 10 minutes drive from Dooradoyle/Raheen area if you travel on the country roads through Ballyclough. I know some children that travel from Dooradoyle/Raheen to there and also a few from Evanwood, Golf Links Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

My sons go to Ballybrown (St Josephs).

It's a great co-educational school. Every year, they seem to outperform the national average in English and Maths during standardised testing.

There's also an effort made with Physical Education (PE). Many schools will barely let you run or have a football.

There are a few points to note.

o Due to Department of Education staffing ratios and cutbacks, some classes are 'doubled up'. For example, the older Junior Infants form a class with the younger Senior Infants. It seems to be at the younger ages where this occurs. However, it is not a major issue. Pupils still get a proper education.

o Growing popularity at the school (and diminished DoE capital expenditure) meant a recent shortage of classroom space. Previously, sixth class took over the school hall as it was the only room available. However, a new annex is under construction to alleviate that issue. The principal has been fighting hard for many years to get funding for extensions.

While it's not All Boys, it's a good CoEd school.

Crecora also has a strong reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

could you please share the name of school, then I will take appointment and submit the application forms if they have some room for new kids?

Sorry for the delay, PM sent.

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    My sons go to Ballybrown (St Josephs).

It's a great co-educational school. Every year, they seem to outperform the national average in English and Maths during standardised testing.

There's also an effort made with Physical Education (PE). Many schools will barely let you run or have a football.

There are a few points to note.

o Due to Department of Education staffing ratios and cutbacks, some classes are 'doubled up'. For example, the older Junior Infants form a class with the younger Senior Infants. It seems to be at the younger ages where this occurs. However, it is not a major issue. Pupils still get a proper education.

o Growing popularity at the school (and diminished DoE capital expenditure) meant a recent shortage of classroom space. Previously, sixth class took over the school hall as it was the only room available. However, a new annex is under construction to alleviate that issue. The principal has been fighting hard for many years to get funding for extensions.

While it's not All Boys, it's a good CoEd school.

Crecora also has a strong reputation.

thanks for detail reply. I had meeting with the principal and I was really impressed. however, he mentioned that most of our classes are double and because of this reason I was upset because we are not native speaker and it would be hard for them to pick in same class. What do you think?
    what was your experience if children study in double class?

• Advertisement

thanks for detail reply. I had meeting with the principal and I was really impressed. however, he mentioned that most of our classes are double and because of this reason I was upset because we are not native speaker and it would be hard for them to pick in same class. What do you think?
    what was your experience if children study in double class?

In terms of English language competence, is your child reasonably OK at English..... or can they barely speak a single word?

And is it Junior Infants they would be starting in?

I can happily give you my thoughts if I can understand their age profile and their standard of English

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    In terms of English language competence, is your child reasonably OK at English..... or can they barely speak a single word?

And is it Junior Infants they would be starting in?

I can happily give you my thoughts if I can understand their age profile and their standard of English

thanks for getting back. My kids are studying in Ireland from last 4 years and perform above average in school in maths and average in English. My daughter speaks cork accent english but sometime teacher asked permission for additional support for dictation/ spelling. This was the reason I asked this question.

thanks for getting back. My kids are studying in Ireland from last 4 years and perform above average in school in maths and average in English. My daughter speaks cork accent english but sometime teacher asked permission for additional support for dictation/ spelling. This was the reason I asked this question.

Then you have no problem :) Four years is ample time. Especially if their English comprehension is good.

Your children will be absolutely fine in any school. 'Doubling up' of the classes in Ballybrown doesn't seem to affect my sons.

There is access to SNAs and Resource Teachers also.

Please send me a PM if you have any specific questions. I will be happy to answer (as best I can)

Advertisement