Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbers where women are welcome?

Options
  • 31-05-2018 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm a woman and I have an undercut (my hair is longish but shaved at the back). I need to get the undercut part trimmed, as it grows at a ferocious rate (the rest of my hair is grand - it's just the shaved bit that needs a trim). I've asked in a few hairdressers but they all want to charge me upwards of €45, which seems crazy for something that won't take more than 15mins!

Does anyone know of any barbers around the city centre who would be happy to cut a woman's hair? Preferably somewhere on the south side. I feel a bit intimidated walking into one, so it would be great to get a recommendation!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Can't see any of them having an issue. What would intimate you?

Last week i was getting a cut and there was a woman before me getting a no1 back and sides. Noone battered an eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Find one you think looks good and just drop them a Facebook message explaining if you dont want to explain in front of all the customers.
    I imagine thats the intimidating bit.
    I dont see the staff even raising an eyebrow to the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭newport2

bluntspoon wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm a woman and I have an undercut (my hair is longish but shaved at the back). I need to get the undercut part trimmed, as it grows at a ferocious rate (the rest of my hair is grand - it's just the shaved bit that needs a trim). I've asked in a few hairdressers but they all want to charge me upwards of €45, which seems crazy for something that won't take more than 15mins!

Does anyone know of any barbers around the city centre who would be happy to cut a woman's hair? Preferably somewhere on the south side. I feel a bit intimidated walking into one, so it would be great to get a recommendation!

Hi! This is where I go. They're very friendly and I've seen a woman there before once. TBH, I can't see any barbers turning you away. Good luck.

https://www.grandbarbers.ie/grand-canal-dock

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bluntspoon

It's probably an irrational worry. I just imagine I'll walk in and it'll be like a scene from a Hammer horror, where a stranger walks into the old village pub during a storm and everyone stops talking and turns to glare at them :Dhttps://vimeo.com/102391543

Thanks for the recommendation, newport!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TheBoyFromAus

Theres a couple of places on Camden St and a place on Grantham st that I would expect would do it. Surely those areas and up through Rathmines and Ranelagh would be ok for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've seen a woman with a teenage girl refused in a barber that is attached to a hairdresser. However, the girl had long hair and one can imagine the staff being at the end of motherly abuse for not getting it just right.

Legally, they are entitled to refuse. However, as above, drop a message to a few and I don't see a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭edeldonlon

My grandmother goes to one in ballinteer called college barbers. I believe it costs €15 for them to do her hair.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Try more hairdressers. I go to one where I'm only ever charged 15 euro as what I want done mostly involves the clippers (no. 3 thank you).

Anyone turning away easy work as you described doesn't deserve to be in business. The apprentice could trim an undercut.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The Waldorf on Westmoreland is a barbers but has a few ladies working there also. Sure they'll make you feel relaxed but I would be surprised if any of the men weren't just as accommodating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Very friendly and extremely cost competitive barbers / mixed with female salon on the road from the Halfpenny Bridge to the back entrance to M&S . (In Dublin) They have cheap womens cuts, offer a dry womens cut for half nothing and also have a barbers. Its the only place like it I've ever seen mixed men & women & it seems very popular. Polish name , walk ins welcome, blue front -you cant miss it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's just getting a part of your head shaved, go into any cheap place you can find and don't worry about it. If they won't accept you for some reason move on to one of the other hundreds of similar places.

It's just getting a part of your head shaved, go into any cheap place you can find and don't worry about it. If they won't accept you for some reason move on to one of the other hundreds of similar places.

Why would you feel the need to respond with a comment that is so spectacularly unhelpful? Dude, I didn't ask for your thoughts on this issue. I asked for a recommendation. If you don't have one, just don't reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Ali's Barbers on Aungier Street are very accommodating to ladies with short hair. I've seen many a female customer in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

The Waldorf on Westmoreland is a barbers but has a few ladies working there also. Sure they'll make you feel relaxed but I would be surprised if any of the men weren't just as accommodating.
    She wants to go to a barbers because of the lower cost, so suggesting one of the most expensive barbers in the city probably isn't very useful.

Thanks for the recommendations! In the end I went to Grafton Barbers on Pembroke St. They were really sound and really good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Buy a shaver?

Advertisement