Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ World Cup 2018 Coverage

Options
  • 31-05-2018 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi, all. (Hope this is the right forum). Is RTÉ broadcasting the FIFA World Cup 2018? What matches are they showing?/Are they showing all the matches?
    Also, is there some sort of a schedule out there or anything?

Any response very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

Hi, all. (Hope this is the right forum). Is RTÉ broadcasting the FIFA World Cup 2018? What matches are they showing?/Are they showing all the matches? Also, is there some sort of a schedule out there or anything?

Yes they are showing 56 out of 64 live . The only reason the other 8 games are not is that last games in each pool are at same time so those 8 games are on rte player

• Registered Users Posts: 33,468 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You can slag off RTe, but I always enjoy their WC coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

NIMAN wrote: »

Agreed, always high quality.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

NIMAN wrote: »

The 1 (only) thing RTÉ does well is sport, so it’s bizarre that they lost so much of it over the years..

RWC
    6 Nations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

NIMAN wrote:

Won't be the same without Bill :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭DUBLINBUSGUY

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I found a link for the fixtures here: https://www.rte.ie/sport/results/soccer/world-cup/9731/fixtures/

Anyone gonna try watch all the matches?:D

brick man wrote: »
    Yes they are showing 56 out of 64 live . The only reason the other 8 games are not is that last games in each pool are at same time so those 8 games are on rte player

Do you know if the other 56 matches will be available on catch up services like RTÉ Player?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,754 ✭✭✭lertsnim

sugarman wrote: »
    I read earlier BBC will be showing the matches in 4K UHD via their iPlayer so they may already lose viewers with a decent VPN.

I'd say you will be able to count on one hand how many Irish viewers that BBC UHD stream will have.

lertsnim wrote: »
    I'd say you will be able to count on one hand how many Irish viewers that BBC UHD stream will have.

I might use it but the effort of getting on and all when I could just turn on RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

lertsnim wrote: »

I know of one :)

The iPlayer infrastructure scale is mindblowing .. interesting article here about it:
    https://iplayer.engineering/the-tech-stack-that-powers-bbc-iplayer-471575318e2a

in 2009 there were using 7 petabytes of data per-month. Considering that their requests per month has grown 6-fold in that time, it is likely that are currently using over 40 petabytes per month. Not bad for a free service.

And above all, it is a superb experience on every platform. Its like a mini Netflix.

Poor RTE player :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

The iPlayer infrastructure scale is mindblowing .. interesting article here about it:

in 2009 there were using 7 petabytes of data per-month. Considering that their requests per month has grown 6-fold in that time, it is likely that are currently using over 40 petabytes per month. Not bad for a free service.

And above all, it is a superb experience on every platform. Its like a mini Netflix.

Is BBC iplayer not geo blocked for viewers in ROI?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It is, and we might end that particular discussion there

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

Regarding the 4k streaming, the BBC mentioned that it was a limited service, so only a certain, undefined, number of connections allowed on a first-come, first-served basis.

So you might have to log on far earlier than the match kick-off to get a 4k stream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭swoofer

It seems you need 40mb speed for bbc iplayer and its restricted to 10,000. I'm sticking with HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Is Ossie Ardiles on Rte this year,I find him hilarious. The,yes pass no they GOAL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

swoofer wrote: »
    It seems you need 40mb speed for bbc iplayer and its restricted to 10,000. I'm sticking with HD.

I'll be in the UK for quite a bit of it including the final... Will certainly be trying that 4k link. In my opinion, as long as England are not playing, the BBC coverage is way better than rte. No ads for one thing and George Hamilton does my head in. "Peru are leading on the number of corners in the second half so far.." ah ffs!

In fairness to rte the blanket coverage of these kind of events is by far the best stuff they do on TV, but personally I prefer the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

iPlayer is not a free service it's paid for by the TV licence.

In fairness to rte the blanket coverage of these kind of events is by far the best stuff they do on TV, but personally I prefer the BBC.

It's cheaper than other products and is a pain in the hole for people who have no interest in soccer overpaid actors chasing a ball around.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Live coverage for all 64 games on RTÉ 2 AND NEWS NOW

56 games on RTÉ2
    The 8 clashing group games on RTÉ NEWS NOW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I'm a bit dubious about the Hope Solo appointment. Who came up with that idea?

Elmo wrote: »
    Live coverage for all 64 games on RTÉ 2 AND NEWS NOW

56 games on RTÉ2

Good to see they will be on television. I hope they remove the tickers from the screen.
    I'm a bit dubious about the Hope Solo appointment. Who came up with that idea?

I don't know why they bothered. It's not like we have heard her opinions somewhere before and she has a dubious past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭afatbollix

For the BBC 4K stream you need a 40Mb line speed. That's going to be imposable to get through a VPN.

Maybe just maybe ITV might get Sky to put it out on UHD through its Sky Q box.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We might leave the comments on a named individual elsewhere, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Elmo wrote: »

And not available in HD :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

No but at least they are using the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Well that is good news about RTÉ News Now screening some of these matches. Broadband coverage in most parts of the country is still pretty terrible apart from those using covered under the open Eir scheme. Having 8 of the games on News Now will be great news for those who cannot get reliable satellite service from the UK. These are people who could be stuck with using either Saorview or Saorsat as their only choice for TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Would be on the RTE player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Well that is good news about RTNews Now screening some of these matches. Broadband coverage in most parts of the country is still pretty terrible apart from those using covered under the open Eir scheme. Having 8 of the games on News Now will be great news for those who cannot get reliable satellite service from the UK. These are people who could be stuck with using either Saorview or Saorsat as their only choice for TV.

Out of interest who in ROI cannot get reliable satellite service from UK? Must be a tiny proportion.

• Advertisement

Out of interest who in ROI cannot get reliable satellite service from UK? Must be a tiny proportion.

Plenty of people living in properties that don't allow satellite dishes.

Advertisement