Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ World Cup 2018 Coverage

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

afatbollix wrote: »
    For the BBC 4K stream you need a 40Mb line speed. That's going to be imposable to get through a VPN.
    Even then it's not quite that simple, only a few tens of thousands allowed and only on supported devices.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/latest-news/live-uhd
    The Ultra HD stream will be available from the BBC iPlayer home screen as soon as programme coverage begins until the trial is full for that match.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭DUBLINBUSGUY

Even then it's not quite that simple, only a few tens of thousands allowed and only on supported devices.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/latest-news/live-uhd

I think it is also geo-blocked to viewers in the Republic of Ireland.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Oh very much so.

And they have partnered up with a DRM crowd to make sure the UHD stuff can be locked down.
    Freesat, the BBC and ITV owned satellite TV platform, is readying itself for the arrival of ultra-high definition content by selecting Intertrust Technologies’ ExpressPlay CA content security technology to manage and protect UHD content.

ExpressPlay CA is Intertrust’s new cloud-based conditional access security technology designed specifically for modern broadcasters.

The technology keeps digital rights secure by ensuring that only licensed users can access the content they are entitled to, fighting piracy and keeping illegal viewing at arm’s length.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭political analyst

Of course it is! After all, the i-player is funded by the UK licence fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Of course it is! After all, the i-player is funded by the UK licence fee.

That is not the reason why it is geo-blocked though is it?

It is a rights issue, nothing to do with the licence. Most of BBC Radio (except for live sports) can be accessed in Ireland using the BBC radio iPlayer app. BBC Radio is also funded by the licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

lertsnim wrote: »
    Plenty of people living in properties that don't allow satellite dishes.

Laws in ROI must be different to NI as I know of very few properties heree that do not permit satellite dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Laws in ROI must be different to NI as I know of very few properties heree that do not permit satellite dishes.

Lots of people with no interest in putting up a satellite dish or getting a Pay TV subscription. For the most part they are one reason we have PSB and national broadcasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,754 ✭✭✭lertsnim

People in apartment blocks and so on. Then you have the unlucky sods with no line of sight. It wouldn't be strange for Northern Ireland to have different laws anyway as it is a different country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭SPDUB

People in apartment blocks ..

That's not law but management agreements and people have argued that such agreements might be unlawful under competition law .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Can we take that particular line of chat over to Legal Discussion please

• Advertisement

SPDUB wrote: »
    That's not law but management agreements and people have argued that such agreements might be unlawful under competition law .

I never said it was law. Digifriendly brought law into it.

Take a warning lertsnim please. No more talk on the satellite dishes issue.

Next post that doesn’t mention the words “World Cup” gets a 48 hour ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I had a lovely cup of coffee just there, the beans were out of this world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Muahahaha wrote:
    I had a lovely cup of coffee just there, the beans were out of this world

Bet you watched the match on satellite and the Mrs was there to dish out the coffee

Yeah, look if people don’t want to talk about the World Cup that’s fine, I’ll just close the thread. In the meantime Muahahaha and goldenwonders can both take bans. I can hand out more (and close the thread) if anyone else wants one

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Did I hear Ger Canning commentate on Saturday for one of the football matches and then do a GAA match Sunday?

Also, are RTE using the standard graphics from the World Cup people? The sylised font they are using is woeful, I noticed BBC are not using the same...

dulpit wrote:
    Did I hear Ger Canning commentate on Saturday for one of the football matches and then do a GAA match Sunday?

You did. Apparently Ger is doing commentary from Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

You did. Apparently Ger is doing commentary from Dublin

Ah. Less impressive so from Ger. Must be awkward doing commentary without being there...

dulpit wrote:
    Ah. Less impressive so from Ger. Must be awkward doing commentary without being there...

Definitely I'd say if he's only seeing what we see. I often wonder that about analysts too, surely you'd want an overview of the whole pitch to figure out formations etc. But I don't know anything about television so perhaps they have other views of the pitch that we don't see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

dulpit wrote: »

Also, are RTE using the standard graphics from the World Cup people? The sylised font they are using is woeful, I noticed BBC are not using the same...

interesting I like the Russian style graphics on rte , the BBC is the same as usual but ITV have superimposed their scoreboard over the Russian style so looks muddled

• Advertisement

dulpit wrote: »

For the score and clock most broadcasters are going for similar to RTE. BBC and ITV always do their own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The World Cup graphics and intro that you see on RTÉ are the official ones from FIFA.

They are actually used very seamlessly when the analysis is done from RTÉ studios.

Re: Commentators

Did RTÉ just send out George Hamilton & Ronnie Whelan for the World Cup this year & the remainder are in Dublin?

Ger Canning almost certainly is doing commentary off tube - as he did GAA at the weekend - but not sure if anyone apart from Hamilton &Whelan (who are definitely there) was sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

For the score and clock most broadcasters are going for similar to RTE. BBC and ITV always do their own thing.

Attach screen shot of ZDF and TF1 both the same as RTE except ZDF have just swapped around the locations onscreen

Mentioned in another thread but RTE Radio have read out Saturday’s fixtures as being today’s in a number of bulletins.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Niall_76

I miss the panel of Giles, Dunphy and Brady. Some very weak and surprising pundits this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

kooga wrote: »
    Attach screen shot of ZDF and TF1 both the same as RTE except ZDF have just swapped around the locations onscreen

Is this the first World Cup where RTÉ have used the graphics provided? I think they did it with Euro 2016

In game? No, they’ve been taking the host broadcaster graphics as far back as at least Italia 90.

For their own stuff? I’m pretty sure it’s not the first either - I think they’ve been doing it since the mid 2000s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

Niall_76 wrote: »
    I miss the panel of Giles, Dunphy and Brady. Some very weak and surprising pundits this year.

There’s some blonde wan who is very nervy and jumpy altogether.

• Advertisement

RTÉ News Now picture is awful. Web stream is better

Advertisement