Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet seats: Who Pays?

Options
  • 31-05-2018 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

I'm a tenant and am just wondering about who is responsible for replacing damaged toilet seats that need to be replaced after seven years of normal wear and tear.

I know, I know, it is a petty thing, but I am probably more interested in where the exact boundaries are between what a tenant should replace, eg. lightbulbs, and what a landlord should replace, eg. cooker, washing machine, etc.

Also, in the interests of full disclosure, the landlord is a corporate entity who has no problem sticking to the letter of the law with zero empathy. In previous rentals I would have had no problem in just replacing them myself, but with this landlord I wouldn't mind sticking them with the €40 bill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Brae100 wrote: »
    I'm a tenant and am just wondering about who is responsible for replacing damaged toilet seats that need to be replaced after seven years of normal wear and tear.

I know, I know, it is a petty thing, but I am probably more interested in where the exact boundaries are between what a tenant should replace, eg. lightbulbs, and what a landlord should replace, eg. cooker, washing machine, etc.

Also, in the interests of full disclosure, the landlord is a corporate entity who has no problem sticking to the letter of the law with zero empathy. In previous rentals I would have had no problem in just replacing them myself, but with this landlord I wouldn't mind sticking them with the €40 bill.

Technically i'd say the landlord is, if it broke from normal wear and tear, as it's not a consumable item. In saying that you can buy one for about €10 so weigh that up against the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It is a ****ty problem. You should complained about it in writing, else the customers will be taken from your deposit eventually if it is still broken when you leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Jesus landlords and tenants need to sit down and learn to get on.

Let’s Stop the animosity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

Jesus landlords and tenants need to sit down and learn to get on.

Let’s Stop the animosity.

That's not possible with vulture fund corporate landlords. They will put children out on the street without a second thought, as I very nearly found out last year. With previous rentals with private, personal owners I would of course have just replaced them myself. But with these corporate ****ers I'll take my small €40 victories where I can get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Personally speaking, buy a nice seat, and bring it with you when you go. Landlords will replace it with the cheapest option possible, which may not be to your liking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

How long can you live with a broken seat?
    Get a €10 special buy and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Can imagine the op pooping like Superman for 6 months until them baxstard vulture funds pay him what he’s owed.

fritzelly wrote: »

No. It's not cracked or anything, the bolts have just become loose. It is a cheap seat and just needs to be replaced. If it is the landlord's responsibility to replace it I'm happier giving them the bill. As I said, if it was a rental from a private, buy to let person, I'd just replace it myself. But when it is a fund who threatened to make a child homeless, I'd rather not pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

No. It's not cracked or anything, the bolts have just become loose. It is a cheap seat and just needs to be replaced. If it is the landlord's responsibility to replace it I'm happier giving them the bill. As I said, if it was a rental from a private, buy to let person, I'd just replace it myself. But when it is a fund who threatened to make a child homeless, I'd rather not pay.

Just tighten the bolts, its probably all the landlord/handyman will do after inspecting it.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Just tighten the bolts, its probably all the landlord/handyman will do after inspecting it.

No, they are beyond repair. The plastic holding has broken on one side of both toilet seats. But regardless, that does not answer my question. Who is legally responsible for replacing such items in a long term lease? I also have a shower rail and curtain that needs replacing. Also curtains and blinds. Cheap tat that was originally installed seven years ago and which is nearing end of life. Where's the line?

• Advertisement

The landlord is responsible for a functioning rental property - toilet seats included.
    So plumbing, cookers, mattresses etc, things like light bulbs are not included (assuming it's not an unfurnished let)

The landlord is responsible for a functioning rental property - toilet seats included.
    So plumbing, cookers, mattresses etc, things like light bulbs are not included (assuming it's not an unfurnished let)

Thanks for that. Exactly the sort of information I was after. Is their a list of items and a definitive line, or is it a rule of thumb type of thing? I'm thinking of the likes of curtains and blinds.

Thanks for that. Exactly the sort of information I was after. Is their a list of items and a definitive line, or is it a rule of thumb type of thing? I'm thinking of the likes of curtains and blinds.

Would depend on the rental contract - anything to do with the structure like plumbing, electrics, walls, fitted units etc are the responsibility of the landlord regardless of the type of rental
    Where furnished or part furnished then that would be part of the contract so what the landlord provides as part of the rental would be his responsibility. If you have to provide your own cooker then thats your problem.

So curtains/blinds would be the landlords responsibility as well if that is how the property was rented out.

But these things have to be malfunctioning due to normal wear and tear, if some kids were acting like monkeys swinging on the curtains then the onus is on you to replace them

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That's not possible with vulture fund corporate landlords. They will put children out on the street without a second thought, as I very nearly found out last year. With previous rentals with private, personal owners I would of course have just replaced them myself. But with these corporate ****ers I'll take my small €40 victories where I can get them.
    This is just nonsense.

Just ask them to replace it. They will probably have about 50 of them in a store room somewhere. You'll probably get it replaced within a matter of hours. The joys of having a professional landlord.

awec wrote: »
    This is just nonsense.

Just ask them to replace it. They will probably have about 50 of them in a store room somewhere. You'll probably get it replaced within a matter of hours. The joys of having a professional landlord.

It is not nonsense to say that you can't have a nice cosy relationship with a corporate landlord. You just can't. It is pure business to them. With individual buy to let landlords a tenant can have a friendly relationship. But not with corporate landlords. If they think that they can get even 1% extra rent by legally making children homeless, they will do it without even batting an eyelid.

But glad to know that they are in fact responsible for replacing the toilet seats, and that they will likely have a number of them in stock. That is exactly the info I was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If they think that they can get even 1% extra rent by legally making children homeless
    Again with this line. What gives? Did their parent/s stop paying rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It is pure business to them.

Exactly how it should be. They're your landlord not your bestie. So much less hassle with large agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

A toilet seat broken after only seven years? What on earth have you been doing to it.

Actually .. I don't want to know.

Replace it yourself. if the new one lasts for 15+ years, then ask the LL to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You are a prime example of a whinging tenant.

Wanting something replaced that isn’t broken.
    Just reach under and tighten the bolts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you've probably spend €10 of your time stressing and arguing about this in your head and that's before you engage the landlord to get them to fix it. just go buy a damn toilet seat and be done with it.

There are battles worth fighting and that ain't one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bugsy2012

Just goto Aldi and get one there cheap enough, and when you move out just leave it for the next tenant so they don't have to suffer this huge dilema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I like the way almost no one reads the op comments just rant on about something completely different.

It's a landlord responsibility to fix things like to list seats unless they are getting repeatedly broken. Then the tenant should pay.

The op already said it's not about the effort or cost, it's about the principle. In which case there is only one answer. Ask the LL to replace it.

I like the idea that people think they break so often a landlord will have a 100 in stock just in case. What do you people do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

beauf wrote: »
    I like the idea that people think they break so often a landlord will have a 100 in stock just in case. What do you people do with them.

The people who think they break that often are the people who buy the absolute rubbish ones in argos and aldi. They’re such crap that they’re not worth €10

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Just phone the landlord and tell them the toilet seat is broken and ask can they send someone to replace it.
    If they say no, then decide if its worth escalating it further.
    Otherwise, just reach under and tighten up the bolts or go buy a new one.
    If you decide to buy a new one, remember, you are the one having to use it, so don't go for the very cheapest as they are usually rubbish that breaks easily. Look out for one with metal stainless steel hinges and expect to pay approx 20 euro.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    ask can they send someone to replace it.

Ask who, a toilet seat engineer?

buy one yourself and send the receipt to the landlord.
    If he doesn’t want to play ball then decide what you want to do (enjoying life is one option)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Ask who, a toilet seat engineer?

If you had of read my post a bit more carefully, you would have seen the words "the landlord" after the words "just phone" :rolleyes:

Landlords have handymen for this type of work, plenty of the landlords that I know, including larger corporate ones, will replace the toilet seat for their tenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...Look out for one with metal stainless steel hinges and expect to pay approx 20 euro.

It's generally the bushings and thread bolts that go. Why there isn't an standard baffles me. I thought they used to have square fitting to stop them twisting. All new ones seem to be generic and round to fit different sizes. As a result they have play in them which eventually breaks.

IKEA also do them though the sizings can be different.

If you had of read my post a bit more carefully, you would have seen the words "the landlord" after the words "just phone" :rolleyes:

Landlords have handymen for this type of work, plenty of the landlords that I know, including larger corporate ones, will replace the toilet seat for their tenant.

My point being, why ask anyone (someone) to come and do this when I’m sure he op is perfectly capable themself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Just phone the landlord and tell them the toilet seat is broken and ask can they send someone to replace it.
    If they say no, then decide if its worth escalating it further.
    Otherwise, just reach under and tighten up the bolts or go buy a new one.
    If you decide to buy a new one, remember, you are the one having to use it, so don't go for the very cheapest as they are usually rubbish that breaks easily. Look out for one with metal stainless steel hinges and expect to pay approx 20 euro.

If you had read my post carefully, you would see that I advised putting the complaint in writing. That is what is required by the act. This keeps proper records which may be necessary in the event of a dispute about the deposit.

Advertisement