Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent light mid-security lock

Options
  • 31-05-2018 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

I'm looking for a lock that I can use to lock up my bike in the fairly secure bike shed in work, when running into shops etc. and possibly for taking on longer club spins. I already have a New York Kryptonite lock for home and if I need to leave it somewhere longer but it's too heavy for what I'm looking for.

Some options are the Kryptonite Mini 6 Lite but it still seems a little heavy/bulky for faster rides and I'd need yet another very light and not very secure setup for that.

Or I spotted the Tigr Mini lock which seems perfect apart from the enormous price! Seems reasonably secure and weighs only 400g so I'd just use it for everything.

Anyone got any suggestions our recommendations? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Foldylock Compact is 1kg, and mounts very neatly indeed. The best way to mount it seems to be to use a bottle cage space, which isn't ideal for the long club spins you want to do. 1kg is too heavy for a jersey pocket, I assume.

I got the Hiplok Z-lok combo as a low-security, very lightweight lock as a lock-in-sight lock for my Brompton. I think it would do for café stops. Seems to work ok; I thought it was very temperamental at first, but I've figured out its few small quirks, which I won't bother going into here.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭timmaii

Thanks tomasrojo. Folding one looks a little heavy but I'll check them out.

Worth having a gander round this site too:
    http://thebestbikelock.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Minimum is one of those 4-number cable locks, about the size of a pack of cigarettes. Makes your bike less handy to steal than the next guy's, but anyone with a snippers will walk away in seconds. That said, I use one all the time and it gives me a (false?) sense of increased security...and it fits in a saddle bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Ottolock, good for quick stops at shop
    https://ottodesignworks.com/shop/ottolock

Advertisement