Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unexpected registered post - what is it???? Am I getting arrested

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I refused one years ago now and all they did was resent ordinary post including the refused letter..IT was nothing urgent or important Just red tape

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

odyssey06 wrote: »
    That's because when you read the letter you die!!!
    Obviously there can be no other explanation.
    ... unless you send a copy of the letter by registered post to ten people you know then you will have good luck, win a large sum of money, meet the person of your dreams and live happily ever after, but you must post those ten letters in the next three days....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Graces7 wrote: »
    I refused one years ago now and all they did was resent ordinary post including the refused letter..IT was nothing urgent or important Just red tape

Yep that's what they it with me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Put the tracking number into the An Post tracking site and see what it says ..it will give you an idea where it was sent from ..

If it says Dublin 12 sorting office then your fcuked !!.. Just pack up and leave the country !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

pebbles21 wrote: »
    Put the tracking number into the An Post tracking site and see what it says ..it will give you an idea where it was sent from ..

If it says Dublin 12 sorting office then your fcuked !!.. Just pack up and leave the country !

Why? What's dodgy about letters coming the D7 sorting office?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

For the love of god OP, what the hell was in the letter? I need to eat soon....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Could be anything. Gardaí can use registered post to deliver a summons or make a demand about who was driving a vehicle at a particular time.

Well, he really got us all going.. June 1st not April 1st mate :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

Court date for TV license or at least it was for me.

An Post Employee in the sorting office knew exactly what the registered letter was for before he handed over the letter but made sure that I provided details to prove I had received it.
    Fast forward few weeks and I'm in Court with License Inspector lying to Court telling the Judge that the occupant of the house had opened door to them and admitted there was a TV but no license at that address.
    If you don't collect the registered letter, you don't go to court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

rivegauche wrote: »
    [strong]
    If you don't collect the registered letter, you don't go to court.[/strong]

Take Note OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Just because you don't have a TV, doesn't mean they wont try and get you for no TV licence. My mothers uncle was 94 and taken to court because he didn't have a TV licence.... because he didn't have a TV - had to go to court to explain this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

AFAIK, they don’t send reg letters to anyone now for jury service. I did jury service back in March. Letter not registered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

An Post Employee in the sorting office knew exactly what the registered letter was for before he handed over the letter but made sure that I provided details to prove I had received it.
    Fast forward few weeks and I'm in Court with License Inspector lying to Court telling the Judge that the occupant of the house had opened door to them and admitted there was a TV but no license at that address.

Na, they can just send a summons by "substituted service" - normal post.

Is your actual name on the An Post docket OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

#troll-fail
    Who goes out and finds the boards site, then opens a new account to ask anonymous strangers what might be in a registered letter they have yet to receive?

Troll Level - Expert
    I Found A Safe

RoboRat wrote: »
    Just because you don't have a TV, doesn't mean they wont try and get you for no TV licence. My mothers uncle was 94 and taken to court because he didn't have a TV licence.... because he didn't have a TV - had to go to court to explain this.

But at that age he was entitled to a free licence anyway, surely?

They tried that on with me when someone thought the digiweb dish was a TV dish... I emailed them and told them I get a free licence; they checked and found they had the address slightly wrong.. egg on their faces..I had no TV either..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I find this very concerning as the exact same happened to me.

TV license Inspector lied and submitted a report saying that I opened the door and said there was a tv but no licence. I did not get a registered letter or summons just an ordinary post letter.

When I phoned up about weeks later when I got the letter it and said I wasn’t there, they said the person opened the door and said they were me. Conveniently, it was also a Saturday, as people could prove they were in work during the week.

I live alone and the alarm log would prove that the alarm was set during that time. I also sent them my boarding card for my flight to Australia, proving I was not even in the country at the time.

They backed off after that and I’m sorry I did not take it further.

anewme wrote: »
    I find this very concerning as the exact same happened to me.
    TV license Inspector lied and submitted a report saying that I opened the door and said there was a tv but no licence. I did not get a registered letter or summons just an ordinary post letter.

When I phoned up about weeks later when I got the letter it and said I wasn’t there, they said the person opened the door and said they were me. Conveniently, it was also a Saturday, as people could prove they were in work during the week.

I live alone and the alarm log would prove that the alarm was set during that time. I also sent them my boarding card for my flight to Australia, proving I was not even in the country at the time.

They backed off after that and I’m sorry I did not take it further.

Yes me too. I was sure, this being a very remote place and a dispute going on locally thst a certain man had called them to give false info. When i challenged about that they were alarmed and spoke about confidentiality so i parried that with freedom of information legislation and they backed down fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Nodded off for a while.... any breakthrough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

degsie wrote: »
    Nodded off for a while.... any breakthrough?

No, and won't be. That's the trouble every time this scenario is used. 24 hours on the yarn has nowhere to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

come on OP , give us some new info!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

TomSweeney wrote: »

You are never going to find out. There are at least a dozen of these thread on AH going back for many years. The common theme is that nobody ever finds out what is in the letters. I am beginning to suspect that they never existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Could this be the same poster that had someone in the attic?

It's from the Boards.ie admins- they know where you live now and instead of perma-banning you for the 40th time for re-registering, they're now taking legal action.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,466 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's from the Boards.ie admins- they know where you live now and instead of perma-banning you for the 40th time for re-registering, they're now taking legal action.:eek:

Boards.ie mods/admins don't send out registered letters. We just send around a hit man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

TomSweeney wrote: »

He can’t. He’s either currently in prison or dead. The WiFi isn’t great in either tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 12 panicking

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Did you miss a direct debit on the car insurance? They usually send a reminder by registered post.

Edit - If your car is registered in Waterford but the insurance is in Dublin it may throw up a red flag.

Bet you it is from whoever you have car insurance with.

UPDATE!!!

You were right. It was from my insurance.

Sorry to keep you all waiting.

I thoroughly enjoyed all the responses though. Thanks for the real suggestions that calmed me down and the joke suggestions!

To anyone who thinks I was overreacting asking the question on here, I fully realise that I was. Also the title was a bit of a joke, I only slightly thought I would be arrested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Ah ffs. Dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

panicking wrote: »
    UPDATE!!!

You were right. It was from my insurance.

Sorry to keep you all waiting.

I thoroughly enjoyed all the responses though. Thanks for the real suggestions that calmed me down and the joke suggestions!

To anyone who thinks I was overreacting asking the question on here, I fully realise that I was. Also the title was a bit of a joke, I only slightly thought I would be arrested.

Tsk tsk. You could have come up with a better story than that to entertain us. What a let down. Can the OP be banned for this type of behaviour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I'll never get this time back.
    Shame

• Advertisement

Boards.ie mods/admins don't send out registered letters. We just send around a hit man!

I was wondering why that red dot kept following me around the house- that explains it.

Advertisement