Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Soap Awards 2018

Options
  • 31-05-2018 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭

Is it just really just between Emmerdale and Coronation Street, the others have been poor

I would put Emmerdale ahead of ‏Coronation Street

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Not the least bit surprised that the Hotten Bypass Crash won the one-off Greatest Moment award...

That aside, just *one* award for the 'Dale this year (after six last year including Best Soap). Corrie took six, including Best Soap for just the second time in ten years, while the 'Oaks took four and Doctors even won two (one shared with EastEnders).

Rudolph Walker thoroughly deserved his Outstanding Achievement award.

Came across this article regarding the exclusion of Pobol y Cwm and River City. Are ITV *really* excluding PyC on the basis that it's not in English?

http://www.atvtoday.co.uk/98899-s4c/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Came across this article regarding the exclusion of Pobol y Cwm and River City. Are ITV *really* excluding PyC on the basis that it's not in English?

http://www.atvtoday.co.uk/98899-s4c/

It's a joke that Pobol y Cwm isn't included - the only soaps running longer than it are Corrie & Emmerdale, and it airs 5 days a week year round, and it's as good, if not better than the rest of them.

River City is a little different in that it airs only once a week for an hour. If that was to be included, Holby City and Casualty probably should be too. I don't think that's a bad thing either, the more the merrier, and Rownd a Rownd should be in it too.

Any of them are just as deserving to be there as Doctors anyway.

Whether they win the popular vote or not is irrelevant - it's the British Soap Awards, last I checked Wales and Scotland are part of Britain, so should be included.

Maybe they should rename it "The Big Four English Soaps (and Doctors) Awards"... :rolleyes:

It's been just Corrie, Emmerdale, EastEnders, Hollyoaks and Doctors for over a decade now.

Brookside, Family Affairs, the Crossroads revival and Night and Day (remember that one?) were all nominated until they fell off the air. And there was a Best Foreign Soap award in the first two years (1999 and 2000), Home and Away winning both times.

It appears (Take the) High Road was never nominated either, probably because most ITV stations outside Scotland had stopped showing it by '99. Pobol y Cwm was briefly shown nationwide on BBC2 in 1994; had these awards been around then, I wonder if it would have had a greater chance of being nominated?

The organisers should try out a Best Local Soap award, or at least have a short feature highlighting the best of the previous twelve months from PyC, River City and Rownd a Rownd. As long as Phil made it clear that these soaps aren't shown everywhere in Britain, then viewers shouldn't be confused... right?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I was surprised with the Hollyoaks wins

I would have given Emma Atkins aka Emmerdale's Charity best actress

• Advertisement
Advertisement