Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New builds

Options
  • 01-06-2018 3:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

New builds are amazing standards, wide doors, high ceilings,solar, a rated, all mod cons

Navan sold second hand property in 2016 and 2017 approx 400ish property

With 600 new higher building standard houses completed in 2018 and 2019

What will this do to the price of older stock? There is clear signs of prices capping but will next year's increase have bigger effects giving the growth of houses vs mortgage approvals

It's the same story in most towns outside dublin belt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

New things are usually worth more than old things.

It'll be interesting to see how much large gardens are valued in future, given that new builds tend to have postage stamps for gardens.

The Dublin market is currently hugely skewed by tax incentives so difficult to judge.

The trend in the US has been for younger people to own less stuff, instead spending money on "experiences", whether this is preference or necessity is debateable. Less stuff = less space requirement.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

We were looking at a new build versus old last year.

For.roughly the same price we got a slightly smaller second hand home with a 40ft garden compared to the minimum in the new.build. finish was massively different given the age.

With kids it was always going to.be there garden

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

godtabh wrote: »
    We were looking at a new build versus old last year.

For.roughly the same price we got a slightly smaller second hand home with a 40ft garden compared to the minimum in the new.build. finish was massively different given the age.

With kids it was always going to.be there garden

Yeah we had the same problem when we looked. Would probably have preferred a newer build but the gardens are just tiny. Got an older house with decent garden. Just requires a bit more work to get it done up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I have a new build with a largish garden. It's another expense compared with a 2nd hand property where in all likelihood money and time has been invested in the garden. I've spent loads getting a patio and shed installed before I even look at plants and trees etc. There's no sign of an earthworm! Preference would be new house, old garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭REFLINE1

Grawns wrote: »
    I have a new build with a largish garden. It's another expense compared with a 2nd hand property where in all likelihood money and time has been invested in the garden. I've spent loads getting a patio and shed installed before I even look at plants and trees etc. There's no sign of an earthworm! Preference would be new house, old garden.

Out of interest, what size w×l do people consider a decent sized garden?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    Out of interest, what size w×l do people consider a decent sized garden?
    Big enough for a patio for sitting on and some lawn left over big enough for kids to run around on I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

The only difference between new and 2nd hand older properties worthy of any consideration is the insulation. Even then, older houses can avail of insulation grants. Insulating the attic properly (which costs very little), upgrading windows/doors (10-15k for typical semi-D) makes a huge difference. There's also a grant available for internal drylining if you want that extra insulation. Location will always trump age of property for me anyway. I'd choose a 100 year old house in Rathmines over a new build in Navan any day of the week.

M.Cribben wrote: »
    The only difference between new and 2nd hand older properties worthy of any consideration is the insulation. Even then, older houses can avail of insulation grants. Insulating the attic properly (which costs very little), upgrading windows/doors (10-15k for typical semi-D) makes a huge difference. There's also a grant available for internal drylining if you want that extra insulation. Location will always trump age of property for me anyway. I'd choose a 100 year old house in Rathmines over a new build in Navan any day of the week.
    Not really a great comparison, a 100 year old house in Rathmines is still going to be more expensive and in-demand than a new build in Navan. I doubt too many people are weighing up Rathmines or Navan when it comes to making their choice.

The main reason to buy an older house is you cannot afford to buy a new build, or there are no new builds in the same general area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭An_Toirpin

utmbuilder wrote: »
    New builds are amazing standards, wide doors, high ceilings,solar, a rated, all mod cons

Navan sold second hand property in 2016 and 2017 approx 400ish property

With 600 new higher building standard houses completed in 2018 and 2019

What will this do to the price of older stock? There is clear signs of prices capping but will next year's increase have bigger effects giving the growth of houses vs mortgage approvals

There is a perception that new builds are always very energy efficient and warm but often this is not the case. Whether or not an A-rated house is warm and efficient is a lucky dip.

awec wrote: »
    Not really a great comparison, a 100 year old house in Rathmines is still going to be more expensive and in-demand than a new build in Navan.

The reason why for that proves my point. Location of property always trumps age. This is true for every country in the world. Here's an example comparing 2 similar size properties in both locations:

Rathmines - 100+ year old 6 bedroom detached (no BER rating listed) house - €4,500,000
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/rathmines/northcote-17-temple-gardens-rathmines-dublin-1651809/

Navan - new build 5 bedroom detached A rated house - €420,000
    http://www.daft.ie/meath/new-homes-for-sale/carne-wood-johnstown-navan-navan-meath-98628/

Is the Rathmines house really worth 10 times the A-rated Navan house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

An_Toirpin wrote: »
    There is a perception that new builds are always very energy efficient and warm but often this is not the case. Whether or not an A-rated house is warm and efficient is a lucky dip.

I thought all new builds had to be A rated energy efficient homes?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

The reason why for that proves my point. Location of property always trumps age. This is true for every country in the world. Here's an example comparing 2 similar size properties in both locations:

Rathmines - 100+ year old 6 bedroom detached (no BER rating listed) house - €4,500,000
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/rathmines/northcote-17-temple-gardens-rathmines-dublin-1651809/

Navan - new build 5 bedroom detached A rated house - €420,000
    http://www.daft.ie/meath/new-homes-for-sale/carne-wood-johnstown-navan-navan-meath-98628/

Is the Rathmines house really worth 10 times the A-rated Navan house?
    The house itself? No.

But this is why your comparison is a bit wonky. You should compare a new build in Rathmines with an old house in Rathmines.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I thought all new builds had to be A rated energy efficient homes?
    I think he's referring to how the BER test is conducted.

From https://selfbuild.ie/basics/energy-ratings/

The rating always comes with a recommendation report on how to improve the grade, even if the home is newly built. This is to make you aware of your home’s energy efficiency and what you can to do improve it; ultimately the authorities hope that A-rated properties will become more attractive to purchasers and builders.

The rating measures how efficient a user of energy your house is, not how much it consumes. Think of the washing machine analogy, its ‘A’ rating won’t guarantee low electricity bills if you do five washes a day!

The rating also largely relies on as-built drawings so if workmanship and quality control measures weren’t in place during construction you may, in practice, move into a home that doesn’t perform as well as the energy rating might lead you to believe.

The house itself? No.

But this is why your comparison is a bit wonky. You should compare a new build in Rathmines with an old house in Rathmines.

It's not wonky. I'm trying to prove that location is a much more important factor in house prices than when it was built. The fact someone would pay 10 times more for a 100 year old house in Rathmines than a new build A rated house in Navan proves this.

The OP mentioned Navan and:

It's not wonky. I'm trying to prove that location is a much more important factor in house prices than when it was built.

The OP mentioned Navan and:
    Right, but you are comparing one of the most desirable places in the country vs Meath, so of course the price wil be higher.

Right, but you are comparing one of the most desirable places in the country vs Meath, so of course the price wil be higher.

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Big enough for a patio for sitting on and some lawn left over big enough for kids to run around on I guess.

100 square metres

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

We bought second hand over a new build for lots of reasons. Much bigger garden not overlooked. Driveway not shared and can park car in front of house. Mature established neighbourhood.
    New builds we saw were so lovely and spacious inside but tiny overlooked gardens and some had no dedicated off street parking in front of the house ! Have heard new builds have great family community spirit as lots of young families moving in at the same time. Pros and cons to both really. Our second hand house was more expensive than a new build in the same neighbourhood. Possibly due to garden and potential to extend to back and above garage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

New builds are often in newly developing areas. Sometimes they don't turn out well. Sometimes it takes time for services to catch up. I remember colleagues who lived in new builds in newly developing areas being on committees for building schools, getting public transport improved, street lighting installed and having to drive long distances to avail of sports facilities and to shop. Old established areas are usually stable and have all the facilities. New builds are often lacking in storage and have small gardens. I have seen some, where there was no place for a bicycle shed!

Advertisement