Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thistles & Briars growing in garden grass

Options
  • 01-06-2018 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭

I seem to have a bit of a lot of Thistles growing in the grass in the garden, they seem to be popping up everywhere and in another part of the garden briars are popping up.
    I've young kids that could be running around barefoot so really want to kill them off.
    Any ideas, I put a lot of effort into getting rid of the briars last year but feel like i'm playing whack a mole.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I seem to have a bit of a lot of Thistles growing in the grass in the garden, they seem to be popping up everywhere and in another part of the garden briars are popping up.
    I've young kids that could be running around barefoot so really want to kill them off.
    Any ideas, I put a lot of effort into getting rid of the briars last year but feel like i'm playing whack a mole.
    Grab them with a good leather glove whilst hosing the root and pull them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Grab them with a good leather glove whilst hosing the root and pull them up.

That's what I done last year with the briars, now a lot of the ones I pulled last year are gone but there's new ones popping up in random places.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you're mowing regularly then thistles won't mature to the point where they produce seed, so maybe the seeds are coming from elsewhere.

You have three options...

1. Work at getting your lawn healthier with all the usual methods (correct mowing, aeration, de-thatching, overseeding) so that the grass outcompetes the weeds.
    2. Blast it with chemicals (e.g. feed & weed, or better still feed then weed).
    3. Get the kids to wear shoes in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Someone should inform the authorities about this person's homicidal tendencies :):)

Advertisement